Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

DrNutt posted:

PUBG can be incredibly boring if you play in a boring way. It reminds me of something my dad used to say about driving tugboats. "Hours of boredom punctuated by a few moments of sheer terror."

I kind of like it. Sometimes boring but always tense, never sure when you're about to come up on the next gunfight. It really is a game that has something for everyone, and I tend to agree with the AV club's assessment that it's essentially as good a horror game as Friday the 13th, albeit a very different type of horror.

I haven't played in awhile but I just jumped back into it today. I used to play squad almost exclusively, and we were fairly highly ranked in the early days (sub 500 on NA) but I've been playing a lot of solo now and this is accurate. Where in squad we would run and gun, high levels of communication, maneuver and strategy in an aggressive way, I've been playing solo like a coward. I drop in out of the way places, try and gauge the map and find the best spot to literally hide, and yeah it's a much more tense experience.

After many games of just goofy antics in squad (blaring music as we assault a house, chasing people in cars etc etc) that silent midgame by yourself with minimal gear just looking for a safehouse to rest in might actually be more rewarding to me. Hard to say if that's just because I'm fresh back into the game, but I'm averaging a 40% top 10 rate so far and it just feels more hard fought in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Newish to the game here, have the exact same experience. I'm not amazing in a firefight solo, so it's always more comfortable when i drop with my friend, even if we don't get to the top 10 as much (around 10% of the time) as i do by mousing around solo (around 30% of the time).

There's not much that can compare with that adrenaline rush as you get down to the last 13, hiding in a bathroom just inside the safe zone as you hear people closing on your position.

Still suck at the game though. Highest is a #3.
:toot:, i guess.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I realized that I am absolutely useless at ling range fights. I can't pinpoint even direction of the shots and usually wind up running around in circles until dead.

I also almost never play sober. I can't tell if the two are related yet.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Missing Name posted:

can't pinpoint even direction of the shots and usually wind up running around in circles until dead.

Don't doxx me

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Missing Name posted:

I realized that I am absolutely useless at ling range fights. I can't pinpoint even direction of the shots and usually wind up running around in circles until dead.

I also almost never play sober. I can't tell if the two are related yet.

I'm the same way, I really only engage in mid to short range if I can help it. Generally what I do when someone starts shooting at me and I can't see them is dive for the nearest cover. If you're out in the open and running around you're probably dead anyway, but if you find a rock or a tree or whatever and pick a side, you can buy yourself some time. Just look at it like you're gonna die anyway, and if you guess the correct side of the cover and the shooting stops (or stops hitting you anyway) then you just narrowed down the possible angles the shots are coming from.

The biggest thing in a situation like that is not panicking. Accept that you're already dead and just move to cover as quick as possible. Cover, fire, maneuver are the three keys to any firefight.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 11, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
sniping in this game is actually fairly difficult I find. I am pretty okay at medium and short range but once you get to about where you need 4xs I potato pretty hard.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I usually never get to do any of the cool poo poo in this game because my team is either all getting mowed down at once by another team while they're pussyfooting around or the'yre getting picked off one by one because they refuse to stick together. They run from bullet sounds because they want to survive to the last circle but then get shot like startled deer when they get there because they have 0 practice with gunplay. I just want them to stick together and engage LIKE A TEAM so I can have fun in this dumpster fire.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

AppleDan posted:

I usually never get to do any of the cool poo poo in this game because my team is either all getting mowed down at once by another team while they're pussyfooting around or the'yre getting picked off one by one because they refuse to stick together. They run from bullet sounds because they want to survive to the last circle but then get shot like startled deer when they get there because they have 0 practice with gunplay. I just want them to stick together and engage LIKE A TEAM so I can have fun in this dumpster fire.

Come to the discord and play with some goons. Then start picking out the goons which won't constantly disappoint you. Ask them specifically when you're trying to get a game together. Then... maybe then, you'll have fun.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
you gotta find people who want to play with you though

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I might take a break from this game until they fix some of the more absurd cheats. I mean, honestly, does their server code do anything other than “oh gee you sent me a packet? Thanks! I’m sure this is all okay!” See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTg5TcRnqOs

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Stallion Cabana posted:

sniping in this game is actually fairly difficult I find. I am pretty okay at medium and short range but once you get to about where you need 4xs I potato pretty hard.

The 4x chevron is crap, and the marks dont line up with how far the bullet goes. Try to keep firefights within 200m outside of solo, further than that and you are going to struggle to finish downs and get flanked by anyone else in the area

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pathos posted:

I might take a break from this game until they fix some of the more absurd cheats. I mean, honestly, does their server code do anything other than “oh gee you sent me a packet? Thanks! I’m sure this is all okay!” See:

that's pro click

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cool word.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pathos posted:

This is hilarious.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pathos posted:

Good stuff.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pathos posted:

lmao

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
I started playing this game about a month ago. I just won my fourth or fifth dinner, can't remember, but does your heart ever stop pounding when its 2 left or does that stay forever?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pathos posted:

awesome lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

OatBoy posted:

I started playing this game about a month ago. I just won my fourth or fifth dinner, can't remember, but does your heart ever stop pounding when its 2 left or does that stay forever?

Only if you have a safe position and the gods keep circle-loving everyone else. You’ll still get a rush any time you have to work for it

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Pathos posted:

No joke, I'm pretty sure I lost a final 1v1 fight last night from this exact thing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I wish this game didn't run like poo poo, it seems fun. :sigh:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just played solo, got 3 kills and dominated school pretty much. But playing by myself leaves me with my nerves shot. I jumped at every engagement if the guy snuck up on me, I'm talking full-on jerk jump, and it throws my aim off and I also poo poo myself and it takes me 2 seconds to recover.

When I play in duos or squads, I'm steady as poo poo. What the gently caress. I'd not have died to the guy who killed me if he hadn't jumped out the window and snuck up behind me, making me poo poo myself for a solid 2 seconds before I could even aim back on him again.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Q8ee posted:

Just played solo, got 3 kills and dominated school pretty much. But playing by myself leaves me with my nerves shot. I jumped at every engagement if the guy snuck up on me, I'm talking full-on jerk jump, and it throws my aim off and I also poo poo myself and it takes me 2 seconds to recover.

When I play in duos or squads, I'm steady as poo poo. What the gently caress. I'd not have died to the guy who killed me if he hadn't jumped out the window and snuck up behind me, making me poo poo myself for a solid 2 seconds before I could even aim back on him again.

dont doxx me

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

dont doxx me

are you implying you're the one who killed me? i don't get it

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

no, that i do the exact same thing

Qubee
May 31, 2013

it's like my very own kryptonite. forced to play with friends cause it's the only time i have balls and don't jump when people sneak up on me.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

fletcher posted:

The loot always sucks at shooting range. Might as well just go to Severny and battle the 3 other squads for that sweet level 1 loot and SMGs

I dropped shooting range in a squad game and found a kar98 on a bench there. I then headed down to the bunker under the range and found 3 more loving kar98s down there. Sadly it was the day voip was broken and I couldn’t tell my team to come down and get them.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
If you guys want to get less jumpy in solos just drop high population areas a bunch and practice the mad dash for guns, don't care about dying. School/military base/etc. I'm not like a great player or anything but I got way less nervy after I started doing that more often, and now when I drop a lower population area with a couple people I can usually rally and win those first few engagements. That said my end game is still weak and I've only had wins in squads/duos but, I dunno, try it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

I dropped shooting range in a squad game and found a kar98 on a bench there. I then headed down to the bunker under the range and found 3 more loving kar98s down there. Sadly it was the day voip was broken and I couldn’t tell my team to come down and get them.

they need to fix this issue with loot. once played a squad game and we found 4 kar98s within metres of each other, it's broken as gently caress. other times, it'll be really awful and shaft you by spawning a poo poo tonne of pistols and nothing else, or 3 level 1 helmets.

if you're gonna have randomized loot, at least make it somewhat fair. hitting 4 entire houses and finding nothing but pistols and machetes and nothing else is the worst.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
So what's everyone's opinion on the Mini-14? It wasn't in the game when I stopped playing and I've found it a few times now, that thing is a loving beast IMO. Replaced my assault rifle slot, now my ideal setup is Mini-14 with a 2x or 4x and an UMP as my secondary.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
[quote="“VikingSkull”" post="“478313930”"]
So what’s everyone’s opinion on the Mini-14?
[/quote]

It's good.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Some semi auto sniper or m16 and a micro uzi is how I like to play.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

So what's everyone's opinion on the Mini-14? It wasn't in the game when I stopped playing and I've found it a few times now, that thing is a loving beast IMO. Replaced my assault rifle slot, now my ideal setup is Mini-14 with a 2x or 4x and an UMP as my secondary.

It's a good gun, but my ideal setup is an M14 and a Kar98 and it doesn't beat either of those at what they do.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Lemon posted:

It's a good gun, but my ideal setup is an M14 and a Kar98 and it doesn't beat either of those at what they do.

I'm slightly confused by this response. M14 is mini-14?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Whoops, M416 I meant.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VikingSkull posted:

So what's everyone's opinion on the Mini-14?

It's surprising that they haven't nerfed it yet. Use it while it's still a beast

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Q8ee posted:

they need to fix this issue with loot. once played a squad game and we found 4 kar98s within metres of each other, it's broken as gently caress. other times, it'll be really awful and shaft you by spawning a poo poo tonne of pistols and nothing else, or 3 level 1 helmets.

if you're gonna have randomized loot, at least make it somewhat fair. hitting 4 entire houses and finding nothing but pistols and machetes and nothing else is the worst.

Then it wouldn't be random. Random doesn't mean "fair."

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So it seems that the main way for me to improve at pubg is ... get better at FPSs. I do great choosing where to go and when. I get in good spots with decent gear.

But usually my first mid- or late-game firefight, i die because I'm not good at the shooty bits. I guess practice makes perfect...

revolther
May 27, 2008
Random should mean random though. There's probably like 80ish items that can realistically spawn, 40ish in the useful realms of weapon ammo armor backpacks.

Finding an entire 3 sorry building, that's 6 apartments, probably 24 spawn locations, all spawning the same pistol or level 1 armor is probably a bug in the rng though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
random isn't fun, it should be a pseudo-random distribution

• Locked thread