Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mr.Tophat posted:

The best tank is a Baneblade

Being made from plastic does not make for a good tank :v:

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its weird that Derek only quotes OSC from reddit...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its weird that Derek only quotes OSC from reddit...

I'm honestly curious how many people call him "Dr. Smart" in normal conversation. It's gotta be a number I can count on one hand, though. Maybe OSC is the legal beagle's alt :ohdear:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dessicate the galaxy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I can't even explain how much this is making me laugh :laugh:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

This guy HAS TO become mod. Please BDT, pretty please.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Toops posted:

Atta baby.

Hey speaking of :justpost:, wtf happened to tophat?

Been busy fighting people with swords, getting drunk and entertaining guests

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Interesting post from a software developer I do respect:

GitLab Blog posted:

Refactoring is that word that a new, super-green developer mentions on day one when they suggest to rewrite everything in Angular. That hasn't happened at GitLab. Our frontend devs tend to be very conservative, which is a very good thing. Which begs the question, why does it seems like everyone is always refactoring? What are they trying to achieve? I can only speak for GitLab. What do we want to achieve with a refactor? In reality it's going to cost a lot of money.

The costs are:
Cost of doing the refactoring.
Cost of testing the change.
Cost of updating tests and documentation.

You also have more risk:
Risk of introducing bugs.
Risk of taking on a huge task that you can't finish.
Risk of not achieving the quality/improvements you intended.

In the end they find that their goals have good intentions for them but they are factoring huge costs and risks, not just simple hand gestures.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Toops posted:

Looks great, they'll be up to 1000 players per instance in no time, all smoothly translating, rotating, and accelerating their ships which are inside of other ships that are translating, rotating, and accelerating, all while shooting accurately simulated projectiles at yet more ships that are translating, rotating, and accelerating in real-time with no lag, no discernible latency, no jitters, no clipping, no framerate drops, no hit detection issues, no rubberbanding, no teleporting, and definitely no crashes..

CIG's network guys just need to skim the abstract of some CS paper about how to use the "russian nesting doll technique" to create super-meshes from pseudo-correlated multi-dimensional physics grids based on hierarchy and population, then dynamically bind/unbind correlated game objects to on-demand server instances which can recursively spawn new instances inside themselves as-needed in a 3-dimensional grid of tree structures, and create links to other meshes up, down, and between branches. I mean the code basically writes itself.

I can't even...

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Quavers posted:

e:

This happened to my cat once. It freaked him out so bad he pissed himself while running all over the apartment. Luckily for me, the bag acted like a diaper so there wasn't cat piss all over the place.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

Why does a 160m dollar company with 400 employees need outside contractors at all

It's not like they're making physical products that involve multiple production lines with different raw resources. It's just code and pretty pictures ffs

All your talent capable of reaching at least the half way mark of your dream games has left, leaving you with under skilled college kids. Also your lead programmer is best known as a modder.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

You should watch them a bit if you have the slightest interest in languages. Not only is Xi'an a silly mix of Mandarin and Korean but it is basically further over-complicated for no reason. There are multiple versions of "yes" and "no" that are there for no reason whatsoever. (Besides making it even more derivative of the actual languages it's aping)

Also, two different ways to ask where the toilet is, because that is really loving important

I have enough trouble understanding English. I’d be more impressed if they showed off how they will be handling subtitles and audio cues for the hard of hearing community.

But on a better note, does literally everybody working at CIG have some kind of unhealthy addiction to toilets? I know we had our urinal day a while ago and it was gross, but toilets should not be a forefront of development for any company. Unless it’s for a one off joke like Dues Ex did back in the day. But even then, make the joke and move on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:owned:

Hey reddit, you've been bitchslapped and we got our way - sorry for any inconvenience!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Please warn me to be seated in the thread title when it's revealed that everyone in that subreddit is the same person.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I have enough trouble understanding English. I’d be more impressed if they showed off how they will be handling subtitles and audio cues for the hard of hearing community.

But on a better note, does literally everybody working at CIG have some kind of unhealthy addiction to toilets? I know we had our urinal day a while ago and it was gross, but toilets should not be a forefront of development for any company. Unless it’s for a one off joke like Dues Ex did back in the day. But even then, make the joke and move on.

Ben started the whole toilet thing by utterly devastating the Austin bathroom to the point where they mostly all moved out with his over enthusiastic and undirected organic pebbledashing. :)

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Stellaris mod question: I’ve got an itch to play as the Galactic Empire and/or First Order. There are so many different Star Wars mods, which ones should I be subscribed and have enabled? The Star Trek one makes it really easy, just 2 or 3 enabled to get it working. The Star Wars ones seem more of a mess.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

:laffo: yeah.

loving :lol: if he thinks I'm going to write a blog about this poo poo.

First Jester outs himself as Ivan, now Derek out's himself as OSC.

What a day.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kramjacks posted:

This happened to my cat once. It freaked him out so bad he pissed himself while running all over the apartment. Luckily for me, the bag acted like a diaper so there wasn't cat piss all over the place.

A couple times when I was a kid this happened to one of our cats. No pissing, but one time it was my mom's purse instead of a bag so when he did donuts around the living room, along with the other contents it sprinkled change in all directions and was the best mess ever to clean up once I cashed in at the candy store.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Looks like the shitizens were completely right about Derek being OSC. Shameful

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

The best tank is a Baneblade

The baneblade is the only tank. All others are basically speed bumps.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

What the gently caress my avatar what is that

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When SC was first announced in 2012 I had been married for a couple of years. For the most part life was basically like it was right after college; plenty of free time, a few responsibilities but nothing major, and a job that was fun but didn't really tax me all that much. I had plenty of time to gently caress around and play whatever game I wanted. Five years later I have a toddler, work is incredibly rewarding but requires a lot of attention (particularly since I started a PhD), and I haven't played a multiplayer game in years. I have become the definition of a casual gamer, with the majority of my time on things like Rim World when I'm not staring at the 40K figures I should be painting. Meanwhile SC has gone from a fairly tight but exciting game to be released in 2014 to some kind of monstrosity that, regardless of how much you look past the bugs, just doesn't seem all that fun. At this point I probably would have gotten a refund anyway because there's no way that SC would be something I could really enjoy. It appears to be this weird combination of twitch-based shooter (meaning you have to play a bunch to not suck at it) and grueling MMO (meaning you have to spend a lot of time to get anything done). Neither of those are conducive to someone with an actual life now. I wonder how many other people are in a similar situation to me, where excitement when the game was announced has turned to apathy at what it has become and how poorly suited it is to my life now.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of getting a standing desk for my home PC. Any recommendations? I'm 6'9" so it needs to be hilariously tall.

Sounds like you will need a custom solution to make it ergonomically correct for your height. Uplift desks only go so high but I have had success in merging their lift systems into custom desks at General Dynamics and some fine folks over at Oracle here in Northern Va. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Kill Ivan... y.. your mod? Ohh Jester, right, Jester I'm sorry. I think you should kill Jester.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a96_1413683127

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

The baneblade is the only tank. All others are basically speed bumps.

I would say that the Leviathan is pretty fun too, although it's super-heavy artillery...it's got void shields though!

Quavers posted:

3d printable tanks are a good thing, if your opponent has one metal tank, you can churn out a hundred to defeat it!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So according to OSC Derek has *files* containing personal attacks and 'threats' that he has linked to alts belonging to RSI staff???!

I can't help but feel like what just played out with r/ds is foreshadowing what might eventually play out with CIG.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Kill Ivan... y.. your mod? Ohh Jester, right, Jester I'm sorry. I think you should kill Jester.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a96_1413683127

Mitchell and Webb are so risque that they must be uploaded on liveleak!

I'm gunna go play in the grit

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile I'm thinking of getting a standing desk for my home PC. Any recommendations? I'm 6'9" so it needs to be hilariously tall.

If you live in a two story house you might save yourself a lot of effort by just setting your PC on the ground of your second floor.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:stonk:

derek was using "nazi" correctly the entire time apparently

Uhhhhhh this was overlooked by the thread but

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

quote:

Fourteen Words, or simply 14, is a reference to a slogan used by white nationalists[2] and white supremacists: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."[3][4][5] It can be used to refer to a different 14-word slogan: "Because the beauty of the White Aryan woman must not perish from the earth."[6]
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/10/white_supremacists_by_the_numbers.html

quote:

The late David Lane, a member of the Ku Klux Klan and co-founder of a white-power revolutionary group, detailed his philosophy in an article called "88 Precepts." (Precept No. 11: "Beware of verbose doctrines.") The number 14 refers to a 14-word mission statement he wrote while propagandizing from federal prison: "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children."

So the person running the "archive" that weirdly "archives" a person of color by stalking and fantasizing about inflicting harm on them is apparently very outspoken with Klu Klux Klan propaganda.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 12, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

That's why it was screencapped and posted in the first place... cause duder is some alt-right maga chud as well, completing the stereotype of the worst sc retards

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

So the person running the "archive" that weirdly "archives" a person of color by stalking and fantasizing about inflicting harm on them is apparently very outspoken with Klu Klux Klan propaganda.

That's hosed up... he's so deep into racism he knows their secret codes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
88 is also heil hitler or something like that, because H is the 8th letter in the alphabet.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dusty Lens posted:

Please warn me to be seated in the thread title when it's revealed that everyone in that subreddit is the same person.

The Man Who Was Thursday Two Weeks

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

If only i had some photo shop skills. Could totally take a shitfy and shop my stores bathroom into a sc ship shitter room. Gotta make sure i hide my cock and balls with my shirt in a totally not creepy or absolutely disturbing way for an inappropriate picture though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VictorianQueerLit posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2008/10/white_supremacists_by_the_numbers.html

:eyepop:

So the 14/88 is pretty much that and...

Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as an abbreviation for the Nazi salute Heil Hitler