Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh man, Emperor Norton's Court is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ZearothK posted:

Oh man, Emperor Norton's Court is there.

I went to his grave with some Discordians maybe ten years ago and it was as somber as I've ever seen any of them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

The ghost rules in the CofD corebook are a cut and paste from the God Machine chronicle, where we deliberately kept them to things that mortal investigators would plausibly encounter - no Kerberoi, no Cthonians, no rules about how the Underworld affects ghosts. Mage didn't have room to expand them (but will, maybe, in Fallen Worlds) due to having to cram even more kinds of entity into fewer words, but Geist does.

You seldom hear about ghost animals because they only form when a human feels their loss, they still only think like animals so don't know how to use their powers to prolong their existence in Twilight, and even then they fall to the Underworld faster than humanoid ghosts do. Geist 1e did mention them a few times, IIRC, and Ghost Stories had ghost dogs in it.

But your family dog or the maneating tiger that's bedevilled your village will totally leave a ghost behind.

So if animal ghosts get essence the same way human ghosts do, Loukanikos must be the best fed dog ghost around

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Doubt that compares to, say, Laika. At the end of the day there's less of a pool of people that give a poo poo about riots in Greece compared to an animal that went to space.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Laika's a good one, but I think I have one better.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 10, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roland Jones posted:

Laika's a good one, but I think I have one better.

Has Hachiko been able to answer the enigma of who is the Good Boy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ZiegeDame posted:

So if animal ghosts get essence the same way human ghosts do, Loukanikos must be the best fed dog ghost around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Guinefort

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ok fine Loukanikos can be the hot young newcomer on the ghost dog scene

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Nessus posted:

Has Hachiko been able to answer the enigma of who is the Good Boy?
"Who is a Good Boy?" one asked. "Who is not a Good Boy?" the other answered

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I've decided that "Dude with an amalgamation of good Dogs as his geist" is a concept I want to play. Donnie James Rio and Three Dog Knight are going to run wild on the underworld.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
What about Gelert? Sure, he probably didn't exist, but when's that ever stopped a ghost before?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Tasoth posted:

I'm not even sure if it's possible, but I've decided that "Dude with an amalgamation of good Dogs as his geist" is a concept I want to play. Donnie James Rio and Three Dog Knight are going to run wild on the underworld.

Ah, the "Undertale" choice.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm playing geist and my geist is The Hound. A dog+a motorcycle who is a very good boy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How compatible is Mage 2E with Awakening 1E splatbooks? I am reaaaaally tempted to start running Mage and buy a nice fancy copy of the 2E book, and I have buttloads of 1E stuff that I never really got to use. Are things similar enough that I can keep an eye out for a few changed powers and keywords or am I going to have huge issues?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

food court bailiff posted:

How compatible is Mage 2E with Awakening 1E splatbooks? I am reaaaaally tempted to start running Mage and buy a nice fancy copy of the 2E book, and I have buttloads of 1E stuff that I never really got to use. Are things similar enough that I can keep an eye out for a few changed powers and keywords or am I going to have huge issues?

My understanding is that most of the info that made stuff like Tome of the Watchtowers essential got rolled into the main book and you'd have to mess with a lot of spells and legacies to make them work with 2e, but using them as inspiration or as good-enough mechanics for random NPCs is probably fine. Note that legacies specifically get significantly more stuff, so those specifically need more work to adapt.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Depends on the 1E stuff. Mechanics like spells and spell-modifying Merits? Gonna be pretty busted, the central spellcasting mechanic has been overhauled to the point where major system pillars like covert/vulgar aspects are just gone. Artifacts or NPC writeups? May need some tweaking but probably workable. Setting detail? Mostly good; Left-Hand Path and Astral Realms in particular carry over very cleanly into the 2e model, and the histories and detailed philosophies of the Diamond Orders and the Seer Ministries are still pretty relevant, minus some of the emphasis on the idea that the Orders recur across time and place as some kind of echo of the Awakened City.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

The powers have changed the most, the capabilities of Arcana at different dots are very different, Legacies grant five powers instead of three (the rules for making them are in the core, though it's bare boned), everyone can get Arcana attainments, spellcasting has taken a big change and different and optional/variant rules would have to likely be scrapped or adapted. The social stuff is for the most part the same (there seem to be a few changes that shift the groups focus, as well as making the Seers more of an Order and differentiating the Free Council from the Diamond Orders).

If you're looking for NPCs, you can adapt most of them pretty easily, but once it gets to their rotes you'll have to redo it. Most of the Rotes pages could probably just be tossed or mined over for some ideas and changed mechanically.

In my experience, still running a second edition game with a few first edition sourcebook, it's worth doing. Especially, I think, since you already have, and first edition stuff, the second edition core, and want to run it. The books would just be mostly for plot hooks and portraying the setting. Apparently having a more comprehensively detailed setting with the various factions being international and well defined is a big draw to it.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 11, 2017

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It also seems to me (having gotten in for 2e) that the extreme antagonism between Diamond and Free Council has eased up somewhat?
The Diamond no longer seems just as hostile to the Free Council as the Seers, and the standard relationship seems more like 'uneasy allies' than 'bitter rivals.'

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I never really got extreme antagonism between the Council and Diamond from anything but the chapter fiction. In the actual Order books themselves, they seemed fairly tense but willing to work together. Certainly willing enough that libertines are rarely excluded from a cabal containing Diamond Mages.

Still, that is the relationship that seems to be in place, yeah. The Council believes that, eventually, the Ladder's system will fail, and everyone else believes that the Council is naive, but they have a mutual foe and common purpose of Making The World Not Awful.

The Seers, too, I'm glad to see are getting more into the "uneasy neighbours" category more than the "kill on sight" category. Mages are still human and neither want to kill nor be killed any more than anyone else. Sure, a Seer who wanders into Pentacle territory might get a beating and vice versa, but, generally speaking, you're going to want to limit conflict. At least until you have a massive upper hand, at which point you press your advantage fiercely.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Axelgear posted:

I never really got extreme antagonism between the Council and Diamond from anything but the chapter fiction. In the actual Order books themselves, they seemed fairly tense but willing to work together. Certainly willing enough that libertines are rarely excluded from a cabal containing Diamond Mages.

Still, that is the relationship that seems to be in place, yeah. The Council believes that, eventually, the Ladder's system will fail, and everyone else believes that the Council is naive, but they have a mutual foe and common purpose of Making The World Not Awful.

The Seers, too, I'm glad to see are getting more into the "uneasy neighbours" category more than the "kill on sight" category. Mages are still human and neither want to kill nor be killed any more than anyone else. Sure, a Seer who wanders into Pentacle territory might get a beating and vice versa, but, generally speaking, you're going to want to limit conflict. At least until you have a massive upper hand, at which point you press your advantage fiercely.

I always got the impression that the relationship between the Council and the Diamond was more, 'it depends' than anything else. Like, they're allies and they both hate the Seers, but the Council wants to democratize magic which is at odds with every other Diamond Order. Liberal Diamond mages probably see the Free Council as irresponsible at best, while conservative members of the Guardians, for instance, probably see them as a breeding ground for heresies and left-handed paths.

I don't know how friendly I want to see the Seers be with regard to the Pentacle. On the other hand they are ultimately human. On the other hand, one group believes themselves to be the naturals rulers of the other.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mendrian posted:

I don't know how friendly I want to see the Seers be with regard to the Pentacle. On the other hand they are ultimately human. On the other hand, one group believes themselves to be the naturals rulers of the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9__6m6iOodw

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mendrian posted:

The way I feel like it's played out, both groups tend to avoid each other until they get in each other's way.

Seer priorities to me are:
- Follow any dream-orders you get
- Rule over people in whatever way makes sense to you
- Maintain the abyss, and maintain general reality as it is
- Make the world a harder place to Awaken in

That last one is basically where the 'cold war' plays out as Seer and Pentacle proxies work to recruit and make things a better/shittier environment to awaken in.

If some Pentacle faction is messing around with their own Oneiros projects or exploring the Shadow or solving m(M)ysteries... who cares? They don't matter in the long run.

Generally speaking neither side wants a hot war although elements in the Free Council probably agitate for it more than anyone else. Mage wars get messy and they get especially messy when either side decides it's time to call in 'reinforcements', whether that means geographically, across supernatural lines, or from the Supernal.
Unless its really one-sided, nobody really 'wins' a hot war and the only outcome is 'less mages are alive around here now on both sides' which only the most devoted Seers thing of as "yup, good work".

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah but I mean ultimately the Seers believe that they exist in the dominant magical paradigm (small 'p') and that the Pentacle are rebels against the true heirs to magical might, e.g., themselves. Day to day you might be able to walk past a Seer at the marketplace but that guy, at the end of the day, thinks you are a worthless upstart who really ought to be taken round back and shot. It's pretty hard to coexist long term when one group does not see the basic human worth of the other.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The Seers are literally privileged elite gentrifying reality itself.

The only reason the war is cold is because they don't think of themselves as fighting it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
We started working on Promethean character creation today. We're definitely mature enough for this game discussing El Pis (one of my players is Spanish) and refinement of Cuphead.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I run it more with the Free Council being violent towards the Seers. The Seers themselves are opportunistic with everyone, viewing non-Seer mages as eventual recruits or just people who are fantastically wrong (might as well be Sleepers) but occasionally stumble upon something important. The Diamond Orders always struck me as more like the Seers than not and one thing in second edition was a toning down of the 'we're going to fight on behalf of the oracles against the seers!' so they tend to try to co-exist more with the Seers. They'd side with the Free Council over the Seers in most situations, but otherwise they're more likely to try and avoid Seers rather than antagonize them, and if conflict breaks out, try to deal with it as diplomatically as possible.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Seers = conservatives
Free Council = liberals
Diamond Orders = centrists

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The seers are liberals, while the Diamond Orders are Isis and the Free Councilors are moderate rebels.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

The Diamond Orders are sriracha, the Free Council are saltines, and the Seers are the 'wasabi' you get in cheap Japanese restaurants.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

The Diamond Orders are sriracha, the Free Council are saltines, and the Seers are the 'wasabi' you get in cheap Japanese restaurants.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yawgmoth posted:

Seers = conservatives
Free Council = liberals
Diamond Orders = centrists

The Silver Ladder are pretty Troskyists if you ask me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Are there really options for Seers when it comes to Pentacle mages other than "work toward either killing or recruiting"? A core part of their ideology is that magic belongs to the Exarchs and non-Seers are basically thieves and terrorists.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Seers = Nazis
Diamond Orders = Liberals
Free Council = Teen Vogue

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Seers: Slytherin
Diamond Orders: Ravenclaw
Free Council: American wizards with guns.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the free council is unbelievably lame

anyone who doesn't believe me should go read their sourcebook

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the free council is unbelievably lame

anyone who doesn't believe me should go read their sourcebook
should be in the OP and this forum's software should support a rule engine to reply to any praise of free council with freecouncil.jpg.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I know they're working on CtL 2e, but is it going to be easily compatible with the splats already out? This question should have came to me sooner since I bought the CtL Bundle.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

should be in the OP and this forum's software should support a rule engine to reply to any praise of free council with freecouncil.jpg.

I do like how everyone is reacting to this dude like he's the biggest dork in all creation. They're just barely able to keep from busting a gut at Jim Parsons, White Saviour.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tasoth posted:

So I know they're working on CtL 2e, but is it going to be easily compatible with the splats already out? This question should have came to me sooner since I bought the CtL Bundle.

Certainly no moreso than any other 2e, which is to say: much of the fluff will work, most of the mechanics probably won't but will be less cool anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

wasn't this the old free council, though? Like now it's more about the magic of community and shared culture instead of just SCIENCE!!!