Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I think that's when your comp is getting slowed down and can't clear the assets quick enough? I had the same thing fighting the unbidden, I'd blow up one of their anchors, zoom out, and whoa nelly there's a big rear end anchor and a lot of poo poo blowing up on the galaxy map.

Yeah the first time it happened was after a battle between my main fleet and a huge unbidden fleet. There was a glowing space station to the bottom left of the stellar map and I was freaked the gently caress out, like "is that some massive endgame enemy coming in from the galactic void???"

But nah, just a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, I'm like 600 years into my game, the only people left are a few liberated empires, my federation, and these two rear end in a top hat empires who teamed up to conquer everything. I keep beating the poo poo out of them with my blob'o'death whenever they declare war though, hard to compete against a giant mass of battleships with about 400k firepower, then I land xenomorph mobs on their planets and kick their asses.

Which is the mass driver tree? Is that the giga cannon? I got that from being a vassal of an awakened empire pretty early but didn't use it until recently. I like the kinetic weaponry, the "chk-chk....THOOM" sound 120 battleships with them make is a real good sound, combined with the rhythmic lowering of the enemy fleet's firepower after every volley. :allears:

As for influence right now I'm in the process of replacing frontier outposts with habitats, that seems to be the way to go for base influence gain outside of the mining/research outpost mandate trick, plus it increases my fleet power and various outputs when I colonize them and specialize them for research and mining.

Is 30k the max for energy credits? I can't seem to find anything else to increase the cap, unlike, say, mining silos for minerals. I'm having to go to the various traders every year or so to dump excess credits for minerals because I'm pulling in 1.5k a month despite replacing a lot of power plants.

Edit: I seem to have a really weird bug where if I see a huge fleet battle, if I zoom out, my galaxy map is absolutely covered in exploding spaceships.

Holy poo poo, 600 years? I usually quit after 250 or so. How long does it take a day to pass on max speed?

And yeah, the mass driver tree gets you the Kinetic Artillery and Giga Cannon.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The slowdown after 100 years is definitely making me want to upgrade this old rear end computer sooner rather than later.

Also, a useful bug? that I ran into. If you're at war with someone, and they enlighten a new species, they become a vassal but they aren't in the war. So you can declare war against them, which puts you at war with the same country twice. This let's you take double the war score worth of planets from them. When the first war ends, the second one is still going, so you can take 200% war score.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, I'm like 600 years into my game, the only people left are a few liberated empires, my federation, and these two rear end in a top hat empires who teamed up to conquer everything. I keep beating the poo poo out of them with my blob'o'death whenever they declare war though, hard to compete against a giant mass of battleships with about 400k firepower, then I land xenomorph mobs on their planets and kick their asses.

Which is the mass driver tree? Is that the giga cannon? I got that from being a vassal of an awakened empire pretty early but didn't use it until recently. I like the kinetic weaponry, the "chk-chk....THOOM" sound 120 battleships with them make is a real good sound, combined with the rhythmic lowering of the enemy fleet's firepower after every volley. :allears:

As for influence right now I'm in the process of replacing frontier outposts with habitats, that seems to be the way to go for base influence gain outside of the mining/research outpost mandate trick, plus it increases my fleet power and various outputs when I colonize them and specialize them for research and mining.

Is 30k the max for energy credits? I can't seem to find anything else to increase the cap, unlike, say, mining silos for minerals. I'm having to go to the various traders every year or so to dump excess credits for minerals because I'm pulling in 1.5k a month despite replacing a lot of power plants.

Edit: I seem to have a really weird bug where if I see a huge fleet battle, if I zoom out, my galaxy map is absolutely covered in exploding spaceships.
If you hover over the weapons on the builder it will tell you their specials. Mass drivers -> kinetic artillery are the ones with the +33% vs shields. That's the generic jack of all trades build though. Advanced play is if you can see an enemy ship you can click on it and look at their loadout and make some designs to counter it. I generally find that too much effort and just go with moreships.

You have definitely rivalled the giant assholes? Worth double checking.

My first experience of that bug was a giant sun in the middle of the galaxy that killed my frame rate. Haven't seen it happen in a while though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It sounds like a bunch of the stuff in the new version is going to help address slow down. I really think they also need to re-look at fleet numbers, just scale the whole thing down a bunch so you have far fewer ships throughout the game, which from people who use existing mods that already do that, say it helps a lot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Captain Invictus posted:

Could be worse

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is worse. :gonk:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've had that. Things that die sometimes don't stop rendering when you zoom out to the galaxy map, it owns with space monsters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Admiral Ray posted:

Holy poo poo, 600 years? I usually quit after 250 or so. How long does it take a day to pass on max speed?

And yeah, the mass driver tree gets you the Kinetic Artillery and Giga Cannon.
Yeah I play on fastest speed so time goes by super quick. I've entered the endgame, where I'm in a federation with two empires, one which was reduced to two planets but has now returned to a healthy amount after I helped them regain their captured planets from one of the two enemy alliances. For a time, my empire was not a blob, but rather an arc that spanned around half the entire galactic edge, due to engulfing both fallen empires over the course of multiple centuries. Made border friction a real problem! The two militaristic factions keep attacking every 12 or so years, so I usually declare war instead of letting them or my allies dictate terms. Every system has 4 to 11 Fortresses with 22k health currently in them which at least slows down enemy megafleets long enough for my main fleet to come stomp them. Finished my Dyson Sphere and the research megastructure. Dyson Spheres take a long-rear end time to make, jesus christ. Worth it though, even with my entire fleet out on the attack I don't drop under 500/month energy.

A day goes by in a second or less on max speed.

I got the Giga Cannon before anything else from the Kinetic Artillery tree, seems being a vassal of an ascendant empire yields tech you normally wouldn't get access to until much later, which is neat.

Splicer posted:

You have definitely rivalled the giant assholes? Worth double checking.
Yeah, both of them. In the process of eliminating all my frontier outposts which will result in about 4 influence a month. Tried to push for a dude with Deep Connections for president but they didn't win. I've got like 700k unity because it seems to be useless post-perks trees, so I hope they add something that can use unity points somehow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Could be worse

That would be awesome if it was an actual thing. Dunno if there'd be a way to actually deal with it though. :v:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Captain Invictus posted:

Yup, after you reasearch all the reactor/power plant/terraforming techs there isn't a way to increase that cap. You can, however, create a ton of tiny little sectors and dump your spare power & minerals in there. Each sector has the same caps as your empire, so building mineral silos can actually increase your store of resources by alot if you have more than 3 or 4 sectors. You have to spend influence to get it back, though, I tend to think of it as emergency supplies. In my last game as the machine exterminators it was great for the feast or famine power economy you get from melting down people into gasoline.

As for what to use extra energy on then yeah, most of the time you will trade it to Enclaves for minerals. The other big power sink is terraforming. The higher your habitability ratings the happier your pops are, which means more resources. Although with the recent changes to how habitabilty affects happiness I'm not sure it's worthwhile terraforming everything into your prefferred type anymore instead of using the energy to buy minerals & festivals & monuments.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I really like the mechanic of extracting stockpiles dropping to 25 influence instead of 100 during defensive wars. As for habitability, I've just been terraforming everything into Gaia worlds, that's the catch-all perfect planet type for everyone, right?

I can't figure out how to fix this thing this faction dislikes, what are the migration controls it's talking about? I've got about as open as possible laws in the edicts and stuff screen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Terraforming to Gaia worlds takes forever though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I really like the mechanic of extracting stockpiles dropping to 25 influence instead of 100 during defensive wars. As for habitability, I've just been terraforming everything into Gaia worlds, that's the catch-all perfect planet type for everyone, right?

I can't figure out how to fix this thing this faction dislikes, what are the migration controls it's talking about? I've got about as open as possible laws in the edicts and stuff screen.

Click on the species window. You have to manually set every species in your empire to turn off migration controls, as they are on by default.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Captain Invictus posted:

Its in the Species Rights for every individual Species in your empire. Make sure you're as permissive as possible for all species and they'll cheer up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Cool, thanks!

hobbesmaster posted:

Terraforming to Gaia worlds takes forever though.
Eh, not really when set to fastest. I mean it's a while, but not that bad, and it's fire-and-forget too unlike the megastructures :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Click on the species window. You have to manually set every species in your empire to turn off migration controls, as they are on by default.
Note that you can change the defaults in the same screen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What role do borders play? If you have open borders does that mean other civs can put stations or even colonize in your domain? I'm at an intersection with three other civs and I'm trying to plan how I can gobble up the open space between all of us without pissing anyone off too much or leaving myself open to losing territory.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

What role do borders play? If you have open borders does that mean other civs can put stations or even colonize in your domain? I'm at an intersection with three other civs and I'm trying to plan how I can gobble up the open space between all of us without pissing anyone off too much or leaving myself open to losing territory.

They can't claim planets in your territory, but with open borders they can cross through your territory to claim something on the other side of your territory. This can mean putting a frontier station (or colony) right next to your border, cutting you off from things.

If borders are closed, they can't enter systems in your borders at all, which can stop them from leapfrogging to open areas like that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ignore I said dum werds

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

They can't claim planets in your territory, but with open borders they can cross through your territory to claim something on the other side of your territory. This can mean putting a frontier station (or colony) right next to your border, cutting you off from things.

If borders are closed, they can't enter systems in your borders at all, which can stop them from leapfrogging to open areas like that.

I noticed that a hostile civ grabbed a planet near my border and their border ate their way into mine, all the way up to a planet of my own. What controls the "pressure" exerted by a unit that extends sovereignty? I couldn't figure out why their border strength was pushing mine back.

This game ended when two civs with closed borders hemmed me in against a galactic core, and I was unable to sneak out between them because I ran out of influence to establish a new colony or outpost. Is completing leader mandates the best way to maintain enough influence to expand?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dick Trauma posted:

I noticed that a hostile civ grabbed a planet near my border and their border ate their way into mine, all the way up to a planet of my own. What controls the "pressure" exerted by a unit that extends sovereignty? I couldn't figure out why their border strength was pushing mine back.

There's a few effects. Planet population is a big one, but also there are techs and at least one tradition (the Supremacy opener) that affect border size.

Dick Trauma posted:

This game ended when two civs with closed borders hemmed me in against a galactic core, and I was unable to sneak out between them because I ran out of influence to establish a new colony or outpost. Is completing leader mandates the best way to maintain enough influence to expand?

What's your net influence per month? If you're running a lot of defensive pacts/frontier outposts/edicts then you may well be tanking your ability to expand through colonisation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a few effects. Planet population is a big one, but also there are techs and at least one tradition (the Supremacy opener) that affect border size.

What's your net influence per month? If you're running a lot of defensive pacts/frontier outposts/edicts then you may well be tanking your ability to expand through colonisation.

I only had three planets. At the start there was a second one close to my homeworld but I didn't grab it because it was small, poor in resources and too close to expand my borders in a useful fashion. I eventually took two more, but stopped colonizing because I was uncertain of the value beyond border extension. What I'd read made it sound that colonizing for the hell of it was a bad idea because it increased different costs without any particular benefit.

As for influence I think I was +1 net. I had I think 3 outposts, no edicts or pacts, and a tradition that was supposed to make outposts cost less.

EDIT: Starting a new game I quickly built three mining stations even though they were only worth 2 each and got a boatload of influence for it. I will definitely make shepherding my influence more of a priority.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 13, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Colonizing everything within reach is a valid strategy. You’ll be behind on tech and traditions but you’ll have plenty of resources and fleet limit so you can offset that by just having way more ships

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Going max border with the 30%bonus from one of the civics is loving hilarious. Mineral mines have nothing on the amount of salt you can harvest in an mp game when you start with that, and finish the border range tech research at the same time as starting the supremacy tradition tree while picking your first Ascension perk (which you saved until this point) as galactic ambitions.

"We have an agreement, we will split the space and stuff evenl- *research finished-supremacy tradition tree started/Ascension perk enabled* everything is mine now, you're all enclosed. Oh also:"

*Borders closed*

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My favorite dick move is forming a big-rear end federation, convincing everyone to build a big-rear end federation fleet, waiting for my turn as president, disbanding the entire fleet moments before exiting the federation and declaring war on some little satellite state that has mutual defense agreements with one of my former federation allies, and using that war as a way to vassalize my former buddy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

Colonizing everything within reach is a valid strategy. You’ll be behind on tech and traditions but you’ll have plenty of resources and fleet limit so you can offset that by just having way more ships

Yep, this is a very valid strategy. Tech doesn't get that much slower, and the extra resources you get end up being far better in the long run. I don't care if I have cruisers with level 1 guns and level 2 shields to throw at an enemy with level 3 everything when I also have twice as many of them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tech really only matters when it's the big paradigm shifting techs, and aside from PD, ship classes, and spinal mounts there aren't that many of them.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Isnt the Worm evemt supposed to make your peeps Repugnant? Not that im complaining, with the science boosts from that mutation + gene edited traits + cyberisation Im wondering if I even need to complete the Synth ascendancy. Traits stay the same when you do that right?

EDIT: poo poo, what I meant to say is the worm mutation doesn't seem to have made them repugnant, just better :S

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 14, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Isnt the Worm evemt supposed to make your peeps Repugnant? Not that im complaining, with the science boosts from that mutation + gene edited traits + cyberisation Im wondering if I even need to complete the Synth ascendancy. Traits stay the same when you do that right?

Synth Ascendancy will make every spiritualist despise you, FYI. If there are any Spiritualist Fallen/Awakened Empires they will declare on you very quickly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Yep, this is a very valid strategy. Tech doesn't get that much slower, and the extra resources you get end up being far better in the long run. I don't care if I have cruisers with level 1 guns and level 2 shields to throw at an enemy with level 3 everything when I also have twice as many of them.

Ah, so having more planets slows down research, but increases the fleet cap.

This game definitely gives me the "just one more turn" feeling I had in CK II and the Civilization series. There's a lot to learn but I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I haven't even been able to declare my first war yet! My government kept denying my request.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

My favorite dick move is forming a big-rear end federation, convincing everyone to build a big-rear end federation fleet, waiting for my turn as president, disbanding the entire fleet moments before exiting the federation and declaring war on some little satellite state that has mutual defense agreements with one of my former federation allies, and using that war as a way to vassalize my former buddy.

How do you actually get the AI to join your federation? Do you just have to play like a peaceful xenophile?

Or even how can you get defensive pacts and the like. It seems like every game I play all the AI sign defensive pacts immediately with each other, but I just sit at -50 for everything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How do you actually get the AI to join your federation? Do you just have to play like a peaceful xenophile?

Or even how can you get defensive pacts and the like. It seems like every game I play all the AI sign defensive pacts immediately with each other, but I just sit at -50 for everything.

Matching Ethics (not much you can do other than changing your empire if you REALLY want to get in bed with someone)
High Trust/Opinion (give away favorable trade deals, guarantee independence, sign non-aggression agreements, etc)
Rival their Rival(s).
Be threatened by the same scary/powerful enemy.
Distance (expand towards them?)

The first and last ones have probably the biggest negative impact that you can't (easily) do anything about. Sometimes the Threat modify can overcome them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sign non aggression agreements or guarantee independence to start raising Trust. The higher your trust, the higher their relations. Also, make sure if you really want to be friends, find out what their opinion maluses against you are and make some changes (when you can; you can change bombardment policy, but not whether or not you're "egalitarian rabble").

Edit: About to start up a new game with Potent Rebellions and State of Lies (adds labor, religion, tax, and property ownership settings, along with new factions like unions and the "religious right"). This might end up being a hellfest.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 13, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Matching Ethics (not much you can do other than changing your empire if you REALLY want to get in bed with someone)
High Trust/Opinion (give away favorable trade deals, guarantee independence, sign non-aggression agreements, etc)
Rival their Rival(s).
Be threatened by the same scary/powerful enemy.
Distance (expand towards them?)

The first and last ones have probably the biggest negative impact that you can't (easily) do anything about. Sometimes the Threat modify can overcome them.

Hmm, yeah mostly distance and not matching ethics was nuking me. Or rather, the AI matched up way better and were bordering.

So for end game crisis, does only the player researching jump drives trigger the unbidden? I was avoiding researching it because i've only ever gotten the Unbidden (or well, got the AI one ages ago, but I "won" without even knowing the thing triggered), but now the few remaining empires all have jump drives (hyperlane only game) so I'm at a huge disadvantage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Now that there's the 200 year gate for crises there is no reason not to rush for jump drives as quickly as possible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

Now that there's the 200 year gate for crises there is no reason not to rush for jump drives as quickly as possible.

I don't even go to war or do anything but build-up until Jump Drive. Jump drive is like the official "welcome to the mid game" tech for me, which is a shame that the tech system seems to "run out" at the mid game for so many people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So what would cause all the little liberated one planet empires to suddenly go from +500 opinion and friendly with me to -250 and hating my guts all at once? All these guys were my buddies and I protected/liberated them at various points for centuries and then they pull this poo poo. Like the only thing I did was conquer the incredibly hostile slave empire that had enslaved their former, larger empires in the first place.

Eventually I got sick of their trash talking and just took'em all over, cleaned up the diplomacy window real good too. A shame since one had been my buddy from like day 1, until they got wiped by the slave empire and became this one planet thing.

Also, my taking the four of them over accidentally beat the game. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

I don't even go to war or do anything but build-up until Jump Drive. Jump drive is like the official "welcome to the mid game" tech for me, which is a shame that the tech system seems to "run out" at the mid game for so many people.

Well I mean if you call the end-game the mid-game, then yeah I guess there isn't much end-game content. :v:

There's no reason not to bully your neighborhood long before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Captain Invictus posted:

So what would cause all the little liberated one planet empires to suddenly go from +500 opinion and friendly with me to -250 and hating my guts all at once? All these guys were my buddies and I protected/liberated them at various points for centuries and then they pull this poo poo. Like the only thing I did was conquer the incredibly hostile slave empire that had enslaved their former, larger empires in the first place.

Taking territory for any reason causes 'threat'. Imagine if Russia invaded & took over China, I'm sure Tibet would be both happy & terrified at the same time.

• Locked thread