Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The... VNTFLW?
https://twitter.com/VFL/status/928398661549092864
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/928427945969856512
:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
They chucked out inaugural teams for an NT transplant?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I am not sure what is worse, when bigfooty is in A grade fucktard territory regarding race/sexuality etc.. or when they literally have nothing good or exciting to post expect "Post the best game of the 2017 season! *proceeds to post only one sided victories of their own team".

At least all the clubs are starting to put in PBs and are training the house down already!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
These preseason training videos are getting a bit ridiculous:

https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/928571361718517766

:stonk:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I see he had the presence of mind to go for a skid kill.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Essendon is back on track financially, looks to be a $12m increase in revenue ($65m total) and a $5m operating profit. There's still a fair bit of debt to pay off but it'll be fairly manageable on the back of those results, and if the on field results improve next year (which we should given the trade period just gone) things will be looking pretty rosy given the last 5 years.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Veteran Gold Coast list manager Scott Clayton has slammed the growing trend of young players returning to their home state a year or two after being drafted.

Clayton, one of the AFL's most experienced recruiters after more than 25 years in the caper, told ESPN the 'go-home' factor was the worst it had ever been in the sport, and remained one of the serious blots on the AFL landscape.

"Here is a world-class professional sport that is so sophisticated in so many ways and yet you have this ridiculous 'go-home' factor which is tolerated," a fired-up Clayton told ESPN.

"It just wouldn't happen in UK or U.S. sport, or the top European soccer leagues.

"To think that an American college basketballer, for example, would say to NBA recruiters: 'I'm only going to play for a California team, I'm not interested in going anywhere else' - [it] is a nonsense. It wouldn't happen.

"Yet in the AFL, so sophisticated in so many other ways, the 'go-home' factor is accepted.

"Every year, we at Gold Coast speak to would-be draftees and they say to us: 'You can draft me but I'll be coming back (to their home state) after two years'.

"It's like bloody Play School, it's so child-like that these young men who want to be part of a national competition can dictate the state they play in."

The former Fitzroy player, 57, has been a recruiting manager for four AFL clubs, three of them non-Victorian - the Brisbane Bears, Brisbane Lions, Western Bulldogs and Gold Coast - so is well placed to comment on an issue which has long been a bugbear for every interstate club.

He said an added complication for non-Victorian clubs was the appeal of Melbourne as football's heartland.

"I draw the analogy of an actor who says: 'If I'm going to star in movies, I'm going to live in Hollywood - not Pittsburgh'," Clayton told ESPN.

"The same with football. These young men are saying: 'If I'm going to make it big in football, I want to live in Melbourne because that's where the action is."

Clayton and his team of recruiters at Gold Coast perform psychological profiling of all their potential draftees and look out for resilience, the love of a challenge and buying into a new culture as three key attributes in any young player.

But he said the AFL could help interstate clubs deal with homesick players by introducing a three-year CBA contract for rookie draftees.

"That's the single biggest thing that the AFL and AFLPA could do for the interstate clubs," Clayton said.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
So he's comparing 18 year olds straight out of high school to college age players in the US and complaining that they aren't as mature? No poo poo.

I'd also be interested to know the difference in pay between an AFL draftee and any of the big leagues around the world. They probably get more than most of the players in the AFL, let alone first year players.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

So he's comparing 18 year olds straight out of high school to college age players in the US and complaining that they aren't as mature? No poo poo.

I'd also be interested to know the difference in pay between an AFL draftee and any of the big leagues around the world. They probably get more than most of the players in the AFL, let alone first year players.

Especially given that most US draftees will have gone out of state on scholarships for the last three years playing college to begin with

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

He also mentions European soccer leagues, where players are on the move at age 16 /17.

But no, everything is fine the way it is right now, totally tops and ok.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
European soccer leagues, where big clubs buy 14 year olds from South America on decade long contracts. Truly the paragon of player movements.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Robodog posted:

European soccer leagues, where big clubs buy 14 year olds from South America on decade long contracts. Truly the paragon of player movements.

Except they don't anymore, because you have to be 18 to do an international transfer, or 16 to do it within the EU/EEA, and now once a player reaches the lowly age of 10 they need an international certificate to play, which also registers them and prevents a transfer.

Noted terrible and ultra conservative organisation FIFA has done more to adjust their transfer rules with the times than the AFL has.

Clayton's proposal for CBA mandated minimum rookie contracts is hugely suitable, and the 8 non-Victorian clubs should be jamming it up the AFL hard the next time Giil comes hat in hand for support for another of his inspired ideas from the AFL X basket.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 10, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Manus Island is bad enough, I don’t think we can hold a place on the UNHRC in good conscience if we are forcing kids to live indefinitely in Adelaide

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Afl draftees get paid a pittance compared to all of the other players you’re comparing them to

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

Afl draftees get paid a pittance compared to all of the other players you’re comparing them to

I don’t see how this has any effect on the go-home factor, they get paid the same at every club out of the draft, if they extended it for three years you would expect the standard contract to increase each year of the three years with bonuses for games played etc.

I think they should just enable clubs to trade out players without their consent mid-contract if this go-home bullshit continues, can’t be a one way street with players having clubs over a barrel.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spedman posted:

I don’t see how this has any effect on the go-home factor, they get paid the same at every club out of the draft, if they extended it for three years you would expect the standard contract to increase each year of the three years with bonuses for games played etc.

I think they should just enable clubs to trade out players without their consent mid-contract if this go-home bullshit continues, can’t be a one way street with players having clubs over a barrel.

You’re more likely to be okay with accepting going where you’re told if you’re starting salary is half a mill than 80k or whatever it is

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Time to move a couple clubs to Tassie and the NT so every player can go home factor equally.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Also those overseas leagues have a lot of player transfer in later years. One club players are rare as gently caress in the NFA, NFL etc etc.. whereas youre expected to be a one club player here and sometimes reviled if you leave. If you think a 19 year old thinking "jesus, do i want to spend 10 more years here?" isnt a factor then youre being naive.

Its also no coincidence that it seems to be happening to the same clubs more often then not. Perhaps the clubs themselves should work on their own player retention issues before bitching at a 19/20 year old for wanting the best in their own interests.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

You’re more likely to be okay with accepting going where you’re told if you’re starting salary is half a mill than 80k or whatever it is

In relative terms that’s more than nearly any 18 year old is going to earn, or a majority of Australians if you look at average earnings. And if they’re any good their pay will go up by many multiples no matter which club they’re at. Comparing it to NBA/NFL/etc in these terms does’t make much sense to me.

[quote="“Nutsngum”" post="“478277283”"]
Also those overseas leagues have a lot of player transfer in later years. One club players are rare as gently caress in the NFA, NFL etc etc.. whereas youre expected to be a one club player here and sometimes reviled if you leave. If you think a 19 year old thinking “jesus, do i want to spend 10 more years here?” isnt a factor then youre being naive.
[/quote]

I think this is an excellent point and the root of the go-home factor. It’s one of the idiosyncrasies of the AFL that fans love, and like you said the only way for clubs to combat this in the current setup is to have an excellent program for engaging 18 year olds.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Spedman posted:

In relative terms that’s more than nearly any 18 year old is going to earn, or a majority of Australians if you look at average earnings. And if they’re any good their pay will go up by many multiples no matter which club they’re at. Comparing it to NBA/NFL/etc in these terms does’t make much sense to me.

I think this is an excellent point and the root of the go-home factor. It’s one of the idiosyncrasies of the AFL that fans love, and like you said the only way for clubs to combat this in the current setup is to have an excellent program for engaging 18 year olds.

Matthew Pavlich

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That was the Crows fault rather than Freo being competent, I wouldn’t have blamed him if he left, the club was a total basket case at that point.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Oh, I agree. Freo must have done something to get him to stick around

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Oh, I agree. Freo must have done something to get him to stick around

I think Port couldn't afford him and the (?the second time he tried to go across?) Crows opted to go for Wayne "like a decade past his prime" Carey which steamed him so much he decided to say "gently caress you" to SA and bedded down in Perth.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schlesische posted:

I think Port couldn't afford him and the (?the second time he tried to go across?) Crows opted to go for Wayne "like a decade past his prime" Carey which steamed him so much he decided to say "gently caress you" to SA and bedded down in Perth.

Overruling our recruiters on that, and overruling the recruiters to make us take grandson of a family friend Lawrence Angwin at pick 7 in 2000 instead of Shawn Burgoyne, are why the head coach was removed from recruiting decisions, and a notable part of why Gary Ayres has a reputation slightly below cat piss in Adelaide.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shaun Burgoyne. What a loving superstar. He still plays football! Well!!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Imagine our 2005/2006 team with Burgoyne on the opposite flank to McLeod, and Pavlich to aim at up forward :sigh:

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Laurence Angwin could have been anything if he didn't love burglary so drat much

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

So people did realize there was a football match on tonight right?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I thought it was on at night but it ended at like 5:45 so... i missed it.

But apparently Kade Simpson and his glorious 'Mo was fantastic/BOG.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

drunkill posted:

I thought it was on at night but it ended at like 5:45 so... i missed it.

But apparently Kade Simpson and his glorious 'Mo was fantastic/BOG.

fyfe was well and truly robbed of bog

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
virgin bog

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Clayton and his team of recruiters at Gold Coast perform psychological profiling of all their potential draftees and look out for resilience, the love of a challenge and buying into a new culture as three key attributes in any young player.

But he said the AFL could help interstate clubs deal with homesick players by introducing a three-year CBA contract for rookie draftees.

"That's the single biggest thing that the AFL and AFLPA could do for the interstate clubs," Clayton said.

I'm not sure this would really have much effect, would it? New draftees who want to leave would just do it in three years instead of two.

Most of the time it's not the ones who leave after two years that are the problem, anyway. It's the ones who leave after 4-5 years, just after the club has put years of development into them which is finally coming to fruition.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Gold Coast literally just gave up pick loving 2 for an average third year player so Im not really sure they have a strong pedastal to stand on here.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think it really shows how highly they are prioritizing 'people that wont leave'

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Interesting timing for this to happen:

https://twitter.com/SENNews/status/929874813262299136

https://twitter.com/SENNews/status/929879327751028737

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gently caress, how will we get our GWS development players to Carlton now?

Hopefully another SOS underling is appointed and business can continue as normal.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

strap on revenge posted:

fyfe was well and truly robbed of bog

That goal of his was :kiss:, setup by some great play by Burgoyne.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
GWS still have Emma Quayle on board, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

GWS still have Emma Quayle on board, right?

Emma is still an orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Peter Schwab has been given the arse only a year into his term, id like to say any change would be good, but the afl never fails to innovate in new ways to gently caress poo poo up

• Locked thread