Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but a “pack of manhunter yorkshire terriers” is too good of thing to not have. All of my colonists are now wearing the finest of yorkypoo leather coats. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Heffer posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Dying From Manhunters Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Squirrel Like Nigga Close Your Door Haha

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rimworld: Nigga Just Walk Away From The Squirrel

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Heffer posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Dying From Manhunters Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Squirrel Like Nigga Close Your Door Haha

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Is A18 out yet?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's a preview version available on Steam and probably direct from Ludeon, and some mods have been updated for A18, but if you're running any mods you might want to hold off a little longer, today's build seems to have broken several of them. If you're OK playing vanilla then you can try it now, it's something like right click on RimWorld in Steam -> properties -> beta versions.

Also the Tyler The Creator joke was p. good

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I finally got weary of my 3 pyromaniacs and sent them on a death or glory mission to a loot pickup (rather under armed). It wasn't glory. My pawn Neeb doesn't seem to miss her husband much.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seaside Loafer posted:

I finally got weary of my 3 pyromaniacs and sent them on a death or glory mission to a loot pickup (rather under armed). It wasn't glory. My pawn Neeb doesn't seem to miss her husband much.

No doubt, that jerk was always burning dinner.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Heffer posted:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

An hilarious side effect of using the extended medical mod that breaks bleeding is that these kind of suicide missions take days to die, since enemies stop shooting at them as soon as they get downed, so they have to starve to death. It turns out AI aren't capable of surviving for multiple days, they have breakdowns and kill each other faster than your pawn dies. I discovered this by sending someone useless to a quest marker. She actually stayed "alive" longer than the pirates and the quest completed.

I dedicated the resulting mega screen TV to useless special snowflakes everywhere.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Heffer posted:

Weird my artist just sculpted a sculpture that says this exact thing.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
so when are swinging doors added for some sweet miami style door murdering?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Heffer posted:

:perfect:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's a pretty good justification for it. You've always been able to bump off colonists it's nice to have a button for it.

Now if only there was a soft equivalent where you give them supplies to start their own colony and don't get a malus for it. :3: Yeah yeah, it's not rimworld but I'm attached to my pawns damnit I don't want them ending up as some cannibal tribal's hat.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Warmachine posted:

Yeah yeah, it's not rimworld but I'm attached to my pawns damnit I don't want them ending up as some cannibal tribal's hat.
I know exactly how you feel! If they are going to end up as a hat it should be MY hat!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Heffer posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rimworld: Nigga Just Walk Away From The Squirrel

I am indeed empty-qouting.

Witness me mods!

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Heffer posted:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
before I download it how massive is the explosion made by a dead Boomaphant? I need to know so I can prepare defences.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Unexpected downside of the new Meteorite event: goodbye 20 precious tiles of farmable soil :smith:

e: oh I take that back, when you mine it out it's still soil underneath :sweatdrop:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So trip report. If you do it right you can contain green tiberium by walling it in with natural rock walls and rock ground tiles. It won't spread through them but blue tiberium will corrupt it's way through rock walls, turn rock ground tiles into tiberium and so on. I have not yet experimented with manufactured walls. Whichever color ground has "growth" on it, such as green tiberium pods or blue crystals, appears to have priority in coloring the ground underneath it. The end result of this is that you can find a cul-de-sac and wall off the entrance with ground freezer thingies if necessary or an entirely enclosed revealed area, let green tiberium go completely ape poo poo and fill the place, then hollow out the middle area leaving a rim of green pods, chuck grenades at a piece of blue tiberium in the middle and have a relatively secure tiberium farm that won't gently caress up your entire map.

I imagine red tiberium is even worse but so far I haven't dared put down the red crystals I bought and blow them up to get it started. I want to research GDI technologies because I have a few event spots on the map that are being held in check by ground freezers and some way to remove them would be nice.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Tiberium grows like plants so you can also contain it and control its growth by enclosing it and raising/lowering the temperature. It won't grow below freezing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

So trip report. If you do it right you can contain green tiberium by walling it in with natural rock walls and rock ground tiles. It won't spread through them but blue tiberium will corrupt it's way through rock walls, turn rock ground tiles into tiberium and so on. I have not yet experimented with manufactured walls. Whichever color ground has "growth" on it, such as green tiberium pods or blue crystals, appears to have priority in coloring the ground underneath it. The end result of this is that you can find a cul-de-sac and wall off the entrance with ground freezer thingies if necessary or an entirely enclosed revealed area, let green tiberium go completely ape poo poo and fill the place, then hollow out the middle area leaving a rim of green pods, chuck grenades at a piece of blue tiberium in the middle and have a relatively secure tiberium farm that won't gently caress up your entire map.

I imagine red tiberium is even worse but so far I haven't dared put down the red crystals I bought and blow them up to get it started. I want to research GDI technologies because I have a few event spots on the map that are being held in check by ground freezers and some way to remove them would be nice.

Nod has the technology to create walls that repel Tiberium growth. GDI can do it with fences and sonic towers, but the sonic towers need LOS to the tib, so that leaves them open to getting merked by raiders. I imagine the walls are more useful in the long term as they also deter raiders and pawns from getting covered in green poo poo.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Fumbles posted:

Hey there, just had this game suggested to me in the suggestion thread and I've decided to pick it up and give it a shot. Any suggestions for a first-time player? I've never played Dwarf Fortress but I've read a lot of the LPs. What should I be watching out for, what should I be prioritizing, and are there any major problems to be aware of?

There is a in - depth guide on the steam workshop by Hironeyous Alloy. It's a few alphas old but most all the information should still be relevant. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HA's guide is fantastic but it's really, really geared at someone with a couple of plays under their belt since the sheer volume of data presumes that you have the background to process all of what he's saying. the absolute beginner bullet points need to boil back even further.

storyteller:
- Use Randy, Some Challenge if you want to manmode it your first time. Randy, Base Builder if you'd prefer to chill. there is zero shame in chilling in this game so just be honest with yourself on this question.

embark location:
- look for a temperate forest with a 'year-round' growing season. beyond that not much matters actually though the flatter it is the less useful the Mining skill will be.

colonists:
each colonist MUST have the following:
- no incapable labors - if it says they're incapable of literally anything, reject. you can figure out which incapabilities matter to you on subsequent playthroughs. for now, don't accept them.
- no major injuries or problems. scars are ok. bad back, frail, addictions, or heart problems are not.
check off the following list (one colonist can fill multiple boxes):
- at least one person with 7+ medicine, and another with 10+ medicine.
- at least one person with growing 10+
- at least one person with construction 7+ (who is NOT the grower)
- at least one person with cooking 6+ (who is NOT the construction worker, but CAN be the grower)
- at least one person with shooting 6+

gameplay:
- go to the work tab and turn on manual priorities. turn firefight, bed rest, patient, and flick to priority 1. the medical dudes should have their Doctor task turned to 1. the grower should have growing to 1 and plant cut to 2. the construction worker should have construct to 2. the cook should have have cook to 2.
- equip the shooter with the survival rifle.
- get the first crop in the ground the first day. use potatoes. eventually you'll learn the difference between the crops but for right now just make potatoes. make your field about 15x15.
- get a barracks thrown up. just use wood for now. make a big room and put beds in it so people don't sleep under the stars.
- get electricity going. make 2 solar panels and 2 wind generators (right next to them). be aware that the wind generators can have their power generation screwed up by walls and trees so place them in a clear spot (and don't be afraid to cut down trees or deconstruct walls to get them going).
- get batteries installed. 2 will do it. make sure they're under a roof (check Architect -> Zones to define a roof build even if they're not indoors) or they'll explode when rained on.
- get a freezer up for the first harvest of potatoes. to do this, you want a big room with two coolers in the wall. turn the coolers to -9C or something (anything below 0C will do). get them power. the freezing air will stop all spoilage of everything in there.

there will be a lot more to do from there but if you get that taken care of then you will at least have a place to sleep and some food coming in. with the most basic needs taken care of you can start to explore and have fun with the game on your own terms. feel free to come back to this thread often to ask questions, folks here love to talk about their myriad techniques for winning the game. good luck.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 13, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

folks here love to talk about their myriad techniques for winning the game

Keeping in mind that "winning" can sometimes be fun when it involves the slow spiral into vomit-and-blood covered mayhem, destruction, insanity and deaths of many interesting varieties.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Coolguye posted:

colonists:
each colonist MUST have the following:
- no incapable labors - if it says they're incapable of literally anything, reject. you can figure out which incapabilities matter to you on subsequent playthroughs. for now, don't accept them.
- no major injuries or problems. scars are ok. bad back, frail, addictions, or heart problems are not.
check off the following list (one colonist can fill multiple boxes):
- at least two people with 7+ medicine, one of them with 10+
- at least one person with growing 10+
- at least one person with construction 7+ (who is NOT the grower)
- at least one person with cooking 6+ (who is NOT the construction worker, but CAN be the grower)
- at least one person with shooting 6+
nah.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you must have someone with a forbidden task, do NOT have all your people with Forbidden: Hauling. At all.

Yes you can completely cheese it by having Prepare Carefully, but then you can make a legion of supermen all in full power armor with only great skills that will be able to take down a pirate base by themselves individually.

Of course, do play on Randy Random.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

He's specifically giving advice for how to get into the game for a total newbie. All that stuff is optional yes, but very good to have.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I thought it was a great set of instructions to help someone gain access to a cross section of the early game. Great way to jumpstart the process of learning what you want to do next time after you get your teeth kicked in.

Better than getting bored and frustrated trying to figure out how to get your people to pull food out of the ground and how to approach the issue of being killed by squirrels.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I tend to prefer passions (one or two flames) over pure numbers for my start team. If you’re in a temperate forest, there should be some wild healroot you can harvest for use until your grower goes from 3-4 skill (with 1 or 2 flames) to planting better things. Same with most others - by the time quality of treatment really matters a passionate doc will have gained enough levels.

Though, I tend to just play on Some Challenge/Rough. It may be my desire to have colonists survive and be useful in a colony for 30+ years is not conducive to succeeding in higher difficulty levels where you might expect regular pawn turnover, so passions in the beginning when you expect most to die are not as important as just getting things done.

Though the advice is pretty sound - just my take on things as I don’t like re-rolling for passions and skill level - so I usually just roll for passions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Keeping in mind that "winning" can sometimes be fun when it involves the slow spiral into vomit-and-blood covered mayhem, destruction, insanity and deaths of many interesting varieties.

I really wish he'd make planets persistent similar to Dwarf Fortress, right now there's not a lot of reward or payoff for letting a colony fail other than that one-time amusement.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dusty Lens posted:

I thought it was a great set of instructions to help someone gain access to a cross section of the early game. Great way to jumpstart the process of learning what you want to do next time after you get your teeth kicked in.

Better than getting bored and frustrated trying to figure out how to get your people to pull food out of the ground and how to approach the issue of being killed by squirrels.

Yeah, I would never be that stringent with my colonists, and it doesn't sound like a lot of fun to methodically check all those boxes, but it's actually hugely helpful for getting new people far enough into the game to get hooked and start enjoying everything spiraling into destruction. It's good advice for new players, who need to get acclimated and learn the systems before they can start playing like we do.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

He's specifically giving advice for how to get into the game for a total newbie. All that stuff is optional yes, but very good to have.
I think it's probably more useful to make mistakes with your loadout and realize why you need certain things.

Everyone enjoys games differently though, and that's not a terrible guide for a new player who would be really frustrated by realizing too late things had gone wrong long ago.

Embracing the old motto "Losing is fun" would probably serve a new player better.

Or at least providing a minimal list to avoid only the biggest pitfalls, rather than a guide to totally optimize things right off the bat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

yeah, this is optimized to get someone food and infrastructure ASAP and make it so an unlucky disease early on won't turn your first colony into a lost cause because malaria hit your doctor in the first month or something. if you have a criticism i'm happy to hear it and i certainly don't think it's required for a successful launch, but those stats make it least likely that someone is going to die to starvation, inability to get infrastructure, or a disease they can't reasonably handle - aka, the three least fun ways to get your poo poo kicked in.

e: also, i just realized the way i worded that made it sound like i was demanding all colonists have medical skill. that wasn't my intention, i meant to say one should have 7+ and another should have 10+. i didn't think through that wording - i've updated my post.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 13, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eiba posted:

I think it's probably more useful to make mistakes with your loadout and realize why you need certain things.

Everyone enjoys games differently though, and that's not a terrible guide for a new player who would be really frustrated by realizing too late things had gone wrong long ago.

Embracing the old motto "Losing is fun" would probably serve a new player better.

Or at least providing a minimal list to avoid only the biggest pitfalls, rather than a guide to totally optimize things right off the bat.

I'm like that myself but there's a very large segment of gamers who really want a letter precise guide, and that's fine.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just started the game this weekend. Made it through my first winter under Cassandra without any major incident, and I have six colonists now. Didn't follow anything close to as stringent as those requirements, though I did restart after the tutorial once I discovered having two Gardeners meant my one remaining colonist had to split her time between research and all of the crafting jobs.

I haven't struggled for having some colonists have jobs locked off, I'd just say don't have them overlap!

In the tutorial game I was presented the option to name my colony shortly after the tutorial ended, but my main game still hasn't had that happen yet. Is there some condition I need to meet to get the option?

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

I started the game recently as well and I was wondering if there's a mod or something to see what's the total power output of your turbines, panels etc. and your total power consumption?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Click on any power consuming or producing element or a battery and read the info, it says it there.

Protip: Got an unruly colonist or prisoner? Health -> Operations -> Anesthetize

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tenebrais posted:

In the tutorial game I was presented the option to name my colony shortly after the tutorial ended, but my main game still hasn't had that happen yet. Is there some condition I need to meet to get the option?

Version A17 has a bug where if you had an Ancient Danger on the map (sealed room full of Fun) your colonists will consider them to be active even if you haven't unsealed the map. This has very few actual effects, but one of them is they won't pop up the Name-Your-Colony option. If you crack open and kill the Ancient Danger then you'll get the pop-up shortly.

I'm not sure if the imminent A18 patch has fixed that bug, but I expect so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Goddamn gently caress this piece of poo poo game can I turn off the dumbass hunted animal revenge bullshit that just wiped my entire loving colony?