Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Man, Morgan really should have teamed up with the King. Dudes got a fuckin hard on for murdering. Instead he has to have martial arts fights in the forest against a hippie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

CODChimera posted:

Does FWD not have a thread on here? I finished it yesterday and it's hilarious how much better it is than this show.

The most current season of FTWD reminded me what it was like to watch a whole season of Walking Dead and actually like all of the episodes. No several-episode-long stretches of characters wandering through forest. Minimal plot stalling/filler. Interesting settlements. Decent (sometimes great) dialog.

Like, it's not even top-shelf television but it really kind of does make TWD proper look cheap. I even like the cameras & filters they use in FTWD better. Everything in TWD looks like it was shot through a moldy lens.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I cracked and started hate-watching this season, all 1.5 hours of random closeups of people pretending to shoot guns and 1.5 hours of commercials, and there was a point where I became mesmerized by the lovely film effect on the clouds. It wasn't just grainy, they appeared to be adding a layer of digital snow.

That's my TWD season 8 story.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Like, it's not even top-shelf television but it really kind of does make TWD proper look cheap. I even like the cameras & filters they use in FTWD better. Everything in TWD looks like it was shot through a moldy lens.

I liked how Fear started getting more artistic with it's openings but actually did some pretty amusing cold opens rather than EYES EYES EYES

ED: I also liked the flash-forward where Rick apparently got an old man aging disease that nobody around him got, since he appears to be like in his 70s and everyone else hasn't aged a day, though

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 9, 2017

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Is the most recent season of Fear worth watching (relative to truck flip/execution level Fear)? I checked out of that awhile ago.

It is interesting to learn that the writers of TWD believe that a 50 cal can actually shoot people at a distance of greater than 20 feet, unlike the tricked out carbines everyone else has. Still no penetration, as I'm sure the couple red shirts jumping in front of the king will save him.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Acinonyx posted:

Is the most recent season of Fear worth watching (relative to truck flip/execution level Fear)? I checked out of that awhile ago.

It is interesting to learn that the writers of TWD believe that a 50 cal can actually shoot people at a distance of greater than 20 feet, unlike the tricked out carbines everyone else has. Still no penetration, as I'm sure the couple red shirts jumping in front of the king will save him.

S3 of Fear is leaps and bounds above any recent TWD seasons. It moves fast, they don't string along 'oh we can't kill a character unless it's the MSF/SF' and the characters don't try to take the moral high ground of 'we're the good guys just because the show focuses on us'. Plus they don't drag poo poo out. S3 churned through in one season what it would have taken the main show 2 and change seasons to get to.

It's great fun, and even though Madison does dumb poo poo sometimes, she regularly gets called on it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also Alicia got an acting coach or something between S2 and S3 and she actually has range now which is nice

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

There is a chance Gimple might not ruin Fear. He's stepping in as executive producer, not showrunner, so I don't know how much control over the actual story/direction he'll have. Has anyone here watched any "One Upon a Time"? Because that's where the two new showrunners for FTWD are coming from.

Which is why it's extra hosed up that they didn't renew Erickson's contract.

moist turtleneck posted:

Also Alicia got an acting coach or something between S2 and S3 and she actually has range now which is nice
Her acting got significantly better almost as soon as her character in The 100 got killed off lmao

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Acinonyx posted:

Third season is awesome and imo the best season of any walking dead, but what was wrong with the truck flip/execution scene? I was half-watching most of S2 but I can't remember anything being that bad about the scene...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do I need to start from S1 for Fear? I remember hearing it was Real Bad at first.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

If you're still watching this lovely show then you may as well watch all of FWD, at the very least there's good payoff for sticking through the bad parts.

And I actually liked most of S2, especially the starting few episodes. That might just be because I watched it after these last few TWD episodes though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'll give it a shot then, I like zombie stuff and I also like having TV on in the background when I'm cleaning, doing laundry, etc. so at worst there's just zombie stuff happening while I'm being productive.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I disagree, watch only the first two episodes of Fear TWD, then watch season 3's first episode and ask yourself what happened in between. Spend some time on the toilet freely imagining how they might've got there, and what a good show about zombies and the start of the apocalypse might've looked like. Borrow freely from existing media, use your imagination and make some stories. Then proceed knowing whatever you came up with while working on those turds was better than what us poor bastards got.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

CODChimera posted:

And I actually liked most of S2, especially the starting few episodes. That might just be because I watched it after these last few TWD episodes though.

They should have had Jesse McCartney actually dressed up as a pirate lmao

Anyway I remember when S2 aired thinking yeah it's got its flaws, but I still kinda liked it. I didn't really defend it much though because honestly I thought the criticisms were pretty fair (not all, but most). However, despite these flaws, I would rather buy season 2 of Fear on DVD with my own money and watch the whole thing again than re-watch a single loving episode of TWD S7.

Except the Kingdom episode maybe. I actually liked that one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

Do I need to start from S1 for Fear? I remember hearing it was Real Bad at first.

It was real bad. Los Angeles has a zombie population of 1. The main characters keep doing terrible things to gently caress people over (this fact was turned into a strength in the 3rd season) out of loving NOWHERE. They skipped the entire pitch of the show, the first two weeks, with a time fade. Worst of all the timeline we got made NO sense, and means there had to have been secret ninja zombies sneaking around for WEEKS. It got better in S2 then worse again when all the characters went nuts for no reason. Plus all the plot holes like the time traveling air plane were hilarious.

S3 has a bit of oddities at first cleaning up S2's mess but then it immediately kicks into gear. I'm kind of with the guy who says to either jump in at 3, or watch like a couple episodes then jump into 3. It gets so much better and will probably be the show's only good season now, but it's the best thing TWD has done.

ED: If you have the stomach watching season 1 & 2 to constantly go "Wow the main characters are selfish assholes!" does make the fact Season 3 embraces this with open arms way more cathartic.

ED: You will wish to God Selizar was on the main show because he'd shot Negan at the loving gate in episode 2 of last season

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 10, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

It was real bad. Los Angeles has a zombie population of 1. The main characters keep doing terrible things to gently caress people over (this fact was turned into a strength in the 3rd season) out of loving NOWHERE. They skipped the entire pitch of the show, the first two weeks, with a time fade. Worst of all the timeline we got made NO sense, and means there had to have been secret ninja zombies sneaking around for WEEKS. It got better in S2 then worse again when all the characters went nuts for no reason. Plus all the plot holes like the time traveling air plane were hilarious.

S3 has a bit of oddities at first cleaning up S2's mess but then it immediately kicks into gear. I'm kind of with the guy who says to either jump in at 3, or watch like a couple episodes then jump into 3. It gets so much better and will probably be the show's only good season now, but it's the best thing TWD has done.

ED: If you have the stomach watching season 1 & 2 to constantly go "Wow the main characters are selfish assholes!" does make the fact Season 3 embraces this with open arms way more cathartic.
Yeah, I kind of enjoyed that the protagonists were clearly assholes rather than moral paragons, and I'm glad that the writers finally realized that they'd been written that way. Also, I liked the nautical adventures in season 2, but season 3 is for sure a massive leap in quality.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 10, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ersatz posted:

Yeah, I kind of enjoyed that the protagonists were assholes, and aim glad that the writers finally realized that they'd been written that way. Also, I liked the nautical adventures in season 2, but season 3 is for sure a massive leap in quality.

I had a good feeling about the season as soon as Madison's reaction to being taken in and given food, shelter and aid by a group that would have been totally on her side was "Let's take this loving place." I mean Goddamn. The rest of the season lived up to that.

ED: I have to admit I never thought Fear would utterly wreck TWD but here we are. Next time on TWD: *BLAM BLAM BLAM* *DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA* *BLAM BLAM* WE WILL BE VICTORIOUS WHEN WE EXECUTE THE PLAN *BLAM BLAM BLAM* THE PLAN WE HAVE ALL AGREED TO AND EVERYONE KNOWS *BLAM BLAM BLAM* WE ARE DOING THAT PLAN HEROICALLY FREEDOM FREEDOM FREEDOM *BLAM BLAM BLAM* *sad music zoom shot* *Credits*

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
S1 and S2 of FTWD are absolutely some of the worst writing I've seen on just about every level. Which in a way made it worth it for me. Sometimes you need to kind of dissect a work of fiction to figure out whats going on. FTWD started so bad it was like a sketch comedy group did a series to intentionally show what not to do when making a tv show. Its definitely a trip, and if you can waste the time I actually recommend it. The way Chris is killed off might be one of the most amazing moments in bad tv for instance. Like these are memorably bad moments. TWD this season is bad in the worst way, it's boring and unremakable in any way. FTWD was quit remarkable in it's badness.

And it was absolutely worth the pay off from sitting through 2 seasons of the worst thing on tv, to then get a season where it all suddenly started to click and just god drat work. Season 3 has great pacing, interesting character development, and admits to the viewer what the main cast has been all along, which is a group of selfish assholes who use "doing the right thing" to justify their actions. Demonstrably the world would have been better had the main cast never existed, and it stops acting like they are heroes.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

The way Chris is killed off might be one of the most amazing moments in bad tv for instance.

What was so bad about it?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

CODChimera posted:

What was so bad about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBUtNGk5yNU&t=109s

Basically Chris abandoned his dad to join with 2 random frat bros, who kill people if they even so much as slightly inconvenience them, and who have no planning at all, and even in a "rebellious teen logic" sense were clearly lunatics that should have been avoided. These dudes roll up on the hotel without Chris, who it turns out flipped a truck less than 12 hours after leaving with them, and they shot him for having a hurt leg. They 2 bros are asleep in the back of the truck when it flips, but are perfectly fine.

This happens in a flashback, and honestly it makes so little sense, that it felt like maybe the bros were not telling the truth about killing Chris, but that makes even less sense then how they actually killed him, and at no point was it shown that this might be an inaccurate story. Curtis then just murders the gently caress out of them, while people frantically try to open a glass door without breaking it for some reason. He then hurts an innocent guy (who dies later from it) in the process.

The whole time it felt like things were happening without any grounding in who people were or why things happen. And beyond that, there wasn't like an themes explored or anything, it was just random poo poo happening that wrote another one of the non-white people off the show.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I've seen it, the only thing I thought was bad was the other two guys not getting killed by the crash.

I liked how it felt so disconnected from everything else. And the fact that he probably didn't need to be executed but all three of them were gently caress ups so it's fitting.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the first 2 eps of Fear....I at least know what's happening I guess :shrug: Figure I'll give the 1st season a full go since it's only 6 eps

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
My favorite FTWD Gif by far was the one showing LA "rioting" in the streets with the Swat Shields and poo poo. I'm assuming Moist Turtleneck did it. When I watched the episode it didn't feel/look so awful, but once it was in gif form I almost died from laughing since it was the focus.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

S1 and S2 of FTWD are absolutely some of the worst writing I've seen on just about every level. Which in a way made it worth it for me. Sometimes you need to kind of dissect a work of fiction to figure out whats going on. FTWD started so bad it was like a sketch comedy group did a series to intentionally show what not to do when making a tv show. Its definitely a trip, and if you can waste the time I actually recommend it. The way Chris is killed off might be one of the most amazing moments in bad tv for instance. Like these are memorably bad moments. TWD this season is bad in the worst way, it's boring and unremakable in any way. FTWD was quit remarkable in it's badness.

And it was absolutely worth the pay off from sitting through 2 seasons of the worst thing on tv, to then get a season where it all suddenly started to click and just god drat work. Season 3 has great pacing, interesting character development, and admits to the viewer what the main cast has been all along, which is a group of selfish assholes who use "doing the right thing" to justify their actions. Demonstrably the world would have been better had the main cast never existed, and it stops acting like they are heroes.

Jossi gets it. If you told me last year I'd be praising a Fear season as an example to the franchise I'd just laughed and laughed.

Between the show not seeming to realize how loving terrible the main characters were to huge plot writing holes to HILARIOUSLY incompetent scenes (like Chris moving with a zombie horde while a guy stands in front of it, one step away from a moving vehicle with assault rifles, firing his pistol at it like the Austin Powers steam roller joke) and terrible idea of a timeline (skipping the first two weeks the show was billed as, time traveling airplanes that somehow crashed after like 3 weeks in the air, etc.)

Sometime a show manages a rare complete turn around and this was one of those times. All of the characters came into their own and I dare say I think Nick, Stand, Selizar and now even Madison have more character than like 5 TWD characters, and the others were catching up fast.

ED: I would have laughed my rear end off as suggesting Madison had interesting character development a year ago, too. Budding Negan-Heisenberg was totally the way to go with her. Also I find it hilarious TWD is so boring now that the thread is more interesting talking about Fear than, well, current WD. Like poo poo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 11, 2017

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

GobiasIndustries posted:

Finished the first 2 eps of Fear....I at least know what's happening I guess :shrug: Figure I'll give the 1st season a full go since it's only 6 eps

The first season is the worst season to judge this show on though, even I don't really like it. It was botched from the beginning when the producers gave the showrunner the world's most conflicting loving directions ever.

The producers told the Erickson to do a slow-burn into the outbreak in 6 episodes, but they also told him to speed up the pace because they wanted to get closer to when Rick is supposed to wake up in the TWD timeline. I don't remember what interview it was but it seems like he was given different instructions than what they advertised the show as. Also I feel like they blew most the budget filming the pilot episode in LA and didn't have much left except for maybe the finale.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 11, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I will still defend parts of episode 2 and 3 (Maybe 3 and 4?) of the first season of Fear, goofy 'riot' scenes aside.

The scene of Madison and Toby running into the zombie while taking supplies from the school was creepy; something about an empty school coupled with them encountering their first zombie, the head-stab attempt failing, resulting in Madison having to bludgeon her boss with a fire extinguisher was interesting to me.

Ep 3, Daniel completely shrugging off 'he's our neighbor, he's sick not dead!' and mercing the zombie in the living room of a guy he just met was the first taste of Daniel's greatness.

So as dumb/sometimes bad as Ss1&2 are, there's a few diamonds embedded in that turd.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Reivur posted:

My favorite FTWD Gif by far was the one showing LA "rioting" in the streets with the Swat Shields and poo poo. I'm assuming Moist Turtleneck did it. When I watched the episode it didn't feel/look so awful, but once it was in gif form I almost died from laughing since it was the focus.

I'd like to see this.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

I still love that the old thread was called:

Fear The Walking Dead - "When Civilization Ends, it ends fast"
http://i.imgur.com/kgwb1Uh.gifv

lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Who’s ready for another hour of bad television?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Zeke putting on his King Ezekiel costume

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

how many speeches are they gonna have about this poo poo :psyduck:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
This is it. An inspirational monologue every loving episode, and this one tops them all.

Edit: They should have had a trumpet go "Wah wah wahhhhhhh"

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Nice speech, too bad they cut everyone down with a 50 cal. or whatever the hell that was.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone got killed except the named characters. That’s called efficiency.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
King Ezekiel being literally haunted by the men he failed to save

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They had exit wounds in the front, I couldnt understand where all the hole are form.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Think it was mentioned as an M2, so yea 50 cal. Those tend to swiss cheese people.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I'm just impressed that someone finally managed to hit what they were aiming at.

Edit: The King found the only two guns on the planet with no ammo.

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 13, 2017

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So these four guys killed that entire army with the M2 (Which don't get me wrong, from that silo they could totally do it) but they never even thought to finish off the wounded or take them hostage?

EDIT: It lead to a Carol murdermontage, I withdraw my objections

DOUBLE EDIT: Never mind, they're doing that right now

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So they get ambushed, putting up no fight, yet the guns were all empty?

Oh poo poo Assassin Carol time