Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Two things.

One is he was elected, senator Roberts was deemed ineligible to stand rather than ineligible to sit. This triggered a recount of the election in which senator Anning was elected.

It is distinct from a circumstance like bankruptcy where a senator may become ineligible after being validly elected, in that case the party is given the opportunity to choose a replacement (I can’t remember if this got formalised after the debacle with Whitlam/jbp or if it’s still just convention followed by the premier of the state)

However, even in the second situation, once they take their seat they have no obligation to remain within the party that chose them.

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks for schooling me. Makes me wonder why it doesn't happen more often considering the open lust for power some members have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks for schooling me. Makes me wonder why it doesn't happen more often considering the open lust for power some members have.

Depending on the specifics of the Senate you don't necessarily get much power and without party support it's a lot harder to get re-elected (but not impossible: see Brian Harridine).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Depending on the specifics of the Senate you don't necessarily get much power and without party support it's a lot harder to get re-elected (but not impossible: see Brian Harridine).

Jaquie Lambie is probably a more contemporary example.

Probably only works because Tasmania is relatively small and it's easier to get noticed working local issues I guess.

I still think Bernardi's going to struggle in SA with the rising SAB vote, obligatory "i just vote liberal/ALP" rusted ons meaning he's left to duke it out with the Greens for the last seat or two, and I don't like his chances there no matter how hard Channel 7 try to give him oxygen.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Jaquie Lambie is probably a more contemporary example.

Probably only works because Tasmania is relatively small and it's easier to get noticed working local issues I guess.

I still think Bernardi's going to struggle in SA with the rising SAB vote, obligatory "i just vote liberal/ALP" rusted ons meaning he's left to duke it out with the Greens for the last seat or two, and I don't like his chances there no matter how hard Channel 7 try to give him oxygen.

Unfortunately barring another DD he's going to be around for five years.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Jaquie Lambie was slowly turning into a slightly decent senator wasn't she?

if so that's a shame

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

Unfortunately barring another DD he's going to be around for five years.

It's going to take some pretty deft work on behalf of the LNP to avoid another DD at this rate.

So it's going to happen within 3 months I guess is what I'm saying

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Can they even have a DD?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bowmore posted:

Jaquie Lambie was slowly turning into a slightly decent senator wasn't she?

if so that's a shame

Except when it comes to Islam.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Isn't that what happens when the govt lose their majority and a no confidence vote is passed? Or is it just an early general election w/ 1/2 senate?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Except when it comes to Islam.
ah yeah, oh well cya Jackie

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Isn't that what happens when the govt lose their majority and a no confidence vote is passed? Or is it just an early general election w/ 1/2 senate?

I don't know.

Without a DD I don't think we can have a half Senate election before August 2018.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Do they even have a DD trigger? I don't think losing confidence of the house would result in anything but a house election.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they want a trigger can't they just put up a law they know will get voted down?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

If they want a trigger can't they just put up a law they know will get voted down?

Yeah, though it'd take a little bit of time.

I doubt the Coalition want a DD though (or indeed any election at all), it's more a matter of what they might be forced into.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know.

Without a DD I don't think we can have a half Senate election before August 2018.

A very good reason we shouldn't be hoping for the government to actually fall apart before then - at the next election the LNP will get walloped, but if there is then a bit of time before the senate election they would probably see a regrowth in support.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Watching ABC News this morning to see Julie 'Asbestos' Bishop weighing in on the latest section 44 drama.

Her statement was that the government had to act to force Labor to obey the law and ensure there were no more unconstitutional senators.

And not one of the reporters surrounding her challenged her loving bullshit.

In fact, the ABC even helpfully put up a big chyron along the bottom of the screen saying, "Labor must be forced to obey constitution".

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Has anyone written an article as to why Pauline Hanson appears on Sunrise 9 times out of 10? The Cafe at work has the show on and I've just noticed the sheer frequency of it.

You Am I posted:

Only old people watch commercial TV. Therefore pandering to the audience.

Add in the fact that she might say something heavily racist, stupid or sexist, and you have your news story for the day straight off the bat.

Its a concerted effort to rehabilitate her image and normalize her message of hate. Those horrible free to air panel and morning shows are about societal agenda setting, not advertising revenue. idc this was pages ago.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

pauline hanson SUCKS and is a poo poo/head!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Its a concerted effort to rehabilitate her image and normalize her message of hate. Those horrible free to air panel and morning shows are about societal agenda setting, not advertising revenue. idc this was pages ago.

Kerry Stokes is a toxic gently caress, and also like a cheap Red Dot Australian Flag Outfit version of the Murdochs.

He also really hates sharks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I think the real reason is because she drove a lot of views when she was doing her "Dancing with the Stars" bit and Channel 7 rushed to spend money (think it was a bidding war vs 9) getting her on before she was a senator. She still drives (some) views, although she's clearly on the verge of losing it all again.
What I'm saying is Channel 7 went all in buying rights to her appearances like a decade ago and now they're so far down the rabbit hole it'd take something seriously appalling (even more so than her opinions) to get her dislodged from those appearances. And even then, channel 9 is probably waiting for an opportunity to take her up.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 13, 2017

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The meme thread wants you to post some more, thanks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Officials in Canberra, when updating the Parliament House website to include the office details of new senator Fraser Anning (who only hours ago parted ways with One Nation) have listed the wrong phone number for him.

In the place of where they should have listed the phone number for Fraser’s Queensland electorate office, they’ve put the phone number for new Greens senator Andrew Bartlett.

It means Greens staff working in Bartlett’s Queensland electorate office have been fielding calls all afternoon from journalists wanting to speak to Anning.

“It’s hilarious. That’s one way of putting it,” a Greens staff member said.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/TrudyMcIntosh/status/929940317876338688
https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/929940607031640064

Maybe he should stick to talking about dual citizen MPs.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
"We're also inquiring as to whether the government can install separate 'normals' and 'homos' doors in public buildings"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol if a yes vote ends up in constitutionally protected bigotry.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

lol if a yes vote ends up in constitutionally protected bigotry.

Here's how I see this playing out:

-The Libs put up their lovely bill that enshrines discrimination in Law. Potentially unconstitutionally.
- Senate drops it entirely. Barnyard and PHON don't want gays married, Greens, Labor (after "considering it" for way longer than required) and maybe the odd Independent recognise it for what it is - bad lawmaking. Possibly some floor crossing by nats/idiots.
- Libs and Nats bark and moan about Labor and Greens voting down gay marriage
- Libs drop another % in 2PP and another MHR
- Bullshit continues for weeks until the Coalition inevitably gently caress up and get caught short in the lower house, where the ALP/GRN/IND move to vote on a senate motion to change the marriage act, badda boom badda bing it's all over.

Comedy option: Entsch and Frydenberg see it's won and cross the floor.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
WALEED Aly is “over” his job co-hosting The Project and is “eyeing off” the plum role occupied by Leigh Sales at the ABC.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Aly, who has permanently fronted The Project on Channel Ten since January 2015, is now in talks with the national broadcaster.

The report said that Aly may now consider the Ten show “a little beneath him”.

Last year Aly, 39, won the Gold Logie for Best Personality on TV for his role on The Project.

But friends say the academic lawyer and writer, who regards himself an intellectual, was thinking of returning to the ABC.

And the role he would prefer is that held by Leigh Sales, as the anchor of the flagship current affairs program, 7.30.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

WALEED Aly is “over” his job co-hosting The Project and is “eyeing off” the plum role occupied by Leigh Sales at the ABC.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Aly, who has permanently fronted The Project on Channel Ten since January 2015, is now in talks with the national broadcaster.

Last year Aly, 39, won the Gold Logie for Best Personality on TV for his role on The Project.

But friends say the academic lawyer and writer, who regards himself an intellectual, was thinking of returning to the ABC.

And the role he would prefer is that held by Leigh Sales, as the anchor of the flagship current affairs program, 7.30.

I kinda wonder what Waleed would be like attempting Leigh Sales' job since he'd have the freedom to actually ask some harder questions of politicians but not enough to want Sales off 7:30.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Lol, call him uppity while you're at it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Leigh sales has been a massive disappointment since taking over 7:30, Sarah Ferguson was way better when acting host

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty weird listening to Waleed on the minefield on RN and then seeing him on The Project
He may not have said that The Project is "beneath him" but it totally is.

That said good for him for getting paid by ch10 and still doing some good media on the side

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Waleed can get hosed after he used his radio national show to enable terfs in the wake of the Hannah Mouncey thing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TwoEyeHead/status/929869155414687744

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Leigh sales has been a massive disappointment since taking over 7:30, Sarah Ferguson was way better when acting host

It is amazing how crap Sales has become over the years. Stan Grant is good, but Ferguson was an awesome host. Too bad they sent her to 4 Corners.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I wonder why the ABC is so bad? Is it because of all the former News Limited staff flooding in and trying to chase Buzzfeed traffic dollars?

Maybe, maybe.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I wonder why the ABC is so bad? Is it because of all the former News Limited staff flooding in and trying to chase Buzzfeed traffic dollars?

Maybe, maybe.
So you're saying News Corp staff are a threat?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No, ANZ staff are the real threat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

One of Australia's newest senators, Fraser Anning, has said he was verbally abused in a "vitriolic" party room attack before Pauline Hanson kicked him out of One Nation.

He said his decision to snub his One Nation colleague came after a "profoundly shocking" meeting where he was told his staff were not welcome.

"The facts are that I turned up at this morning's One Nation party meeting ready to be part of Pauline Hanson's Senate team and my staff were prohibited from entering," he said.

"As soon as I got into the room, I was verbally attacked.

"I tried to answer as best I could but the attack was so vitriolic that I was obliged to simply walk out."

Senator Anning said his colleagues, Brian Burston and Peter Georgiou, told him that Senator Hanson demanded he did not employ staff that her chief of staff James Ashby disliked.

"In response, I made it clear that I remained a supported of Pauline Hanson, however it was unacceptable to me that either she of James Ashy dictate to me who I could and could not employ."

He denied reports he had abandoned the party and said Senator Hanson had instead kicked him out.

"It seems that without even contacting me, Pauline has unilaterally kicked me out of the party," he said.

Senator Hanson was not present in the chamber when Senator Anning was sworn in, and has a different take on the morning's meeting.

In a statement, she said Senator Anning walked out of the meeting reportedly saying, "I know where this is going".

She said Senator Burston and Senator Georgiou attempted to resolve the conflict with Senator Anning, who informed then he would be standing as an independent "until something else comes along".

Senator Hanson said she believed one of former One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts' staff had encouraged Senator Anning to defect to Senator Bernardi's party.

Senator Anning was sworn in as the replacement for Senator Roberts, who was kicked out Parliament by the High Court due to his dual citizenship.

Senator Anning's public rebuke of the One Nation leader comes weeks after he criticised the party's handling of the dual citizenship saga.

Senator Hanson said she had tried to discuss Senator Anning's political future with him on numerous occasions in recent weeks.

"Instead, he chose to release scathing media releases demanding I pledge my support to him without even meeting or speaking to him," she said.

But Senator Anning denied that too, saying he "repeatedly tried to call her but she never bothered to return my calls".

Despite the conflict and claims he has been kicked out of the party, Senator Anning is continuing to describe himself as a One Nation senator.

ABC election analyst Antony Green said there was nothing stopping Senator Anning leaving One Nation to sit as an independent, or to join another political party.

"They, to some extent, have free will to represent their constituents as they wish, which is interesting in Senator Anning's case, as his constituency seems to have 19 votes for him," he said.

"The only reason Fraser Anning is in Parliament is because Pauline Hanson is popular, the same reason that Malcolm Roberts was there."

:banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fuuuuucking :laffo:

• Locked thread