Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pollyanna posted:

So exactly how thin is Japanese curry supposed to be? I made some for dinner and uh, I think it's not quite right:

I'm reducing the unused portion right now and it's closer to the consistency I like, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the point. It's S&B Golden Curry, if that helps.

Almost certainly not that thin since that looks barely thickened or even colored. I seem to remember S&B Golden Curry to be pretty thick when made at the right strength (Vermont is also pretty thick). It should be the consistency of a pretty hearty stew.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kirtar posted:

Almost certainly not that thin since that looks barely thickened or even colored. I seem to remember S&B Golden Curry to be pretty thick when made at the right strength (Vermont is also pretty thick). It should be the consistency of a pretty hearty stew.

Hrmmm. How many blocks am I supposed to use per cups of water? I'm beginning to think I didn't put in enough.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
We do about 3.5c of water for half a package (4 to 6 blocks depending on the brand), about a lb of meat, a lb of potatoes/carrots/sweet potatoes, and a couple big onions. I also find that mixing a few different flavors of curry roux make a better flavor, and when I'm feeling specially proactive will toss in extra curry powder, garlic and ginger.

Should look more like this

or just see the picture on the box: :)

EVG fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 13, 2017

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Pollyanna posted:

Hrmmm. How many blocks am I supposed to use per cups of water? I'm beginning to think I didn't put in enough.

I just checked a package in my pantry and it says 1 box for 6 cups of water, which if you're doing blocks based on the ridges on the bottom of the plastic, that'd be 8 blocks.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pollyanna posted:

I don't have any Golden Curry on hand since I'm working my way through a bunch of Vermont (which I should probably mix with something else), but most brands are usually somewhere between 5 and 6 cups per box.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Now ya’ll got me wanting to try a Japanese curry. What brands are good? I have a couple decent grocers with solid Asian sections.

Also: my wife is vegetarian. Are the base sauces vegetarian? And would these be good lacking added meat? Any good substitutions?

Carrot, potatoes, onions and....?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Feenix posted:

Now ya’ll got me wanting to try a Japanese curry. What brands are good? I have a couple decent grocers with solid Asian sections.

Also: my wife is vegetarian. Are the base sauces vegetarian? And would these be good lacking added meat? Any good substitutions?

Carrot, potatoes, onions and....?

IIRC, commercially-prepared roux blocks have a beef base? But I could be wrong, or some brands may be different. Usually, though, it's not vegetarian.

Veggies: potatoes, onions, carrots, and basically whatever else you like. Eggplant is good, as are daikon, spinach, okra, squash, cauliflower, rutabaga, and turnips. Heck, I put tomatoes in mine, if I'm running low on veggies.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nice. Thanks. Have to eat it alone for lunch if the base isn’t veggie though...

I’ve always wanted to try it.

Edit, unless misinfo, this blurb for S&B Golden says:

“This pack contains enough delicious and completely vegetarian curry sauce for 12 servings.”

Feenix fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 13, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Vegetarian or vegan?

Anyway, you can make your own roux for Japanese curry really easily. It's just flour, curry powder, garam masala, and butter.

You can either start with commercial blends or mix your own, but then you end up needing to buy a lot of different individual spices.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Vegetarian. Sounds like S.&B will work...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Feenix posted:

Vegetarian. Sounds like S.&B will work...

My friend shared her vegetarian curry recipe with me, actually:

quote:

we generally go w/ Golden Curry(hot) because that's what's available around here, and on its own its generally kinda bland.

but what I ususally do is (because I'm a vegitarian, you can do this w/ meat/chicken):
- 1 whole yellow(sweet) onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 - 2 bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 brick super firm tofu (we get ours from trader joes, its packaged with almost no water and is firm like mock-meat), cubed
- half block tempeh, minced

In a pan, sautee the onions on medium/medium high heat make adjustments as nescesary) with a little sesame/coconut oil. when they're about 1/2way cooked, add the peppers, and after cooking for about 2-3 minutes, add the tofu/tempeh. I ususally throw a dash of Tamari and stir it all together because tamari is LIFE!!! and adds some extra umami to everything.

transfer the veg/tofu to a medium/large pot, and add 3 cups water, 1 can coconut milk (lacking oconut milk, 1 & 1/4th cup almond milk works too) & bring to a boil, stiring occasionally.

Closely monitor it because you don't want to boil for too long, just once it hits boiling, reduce to medium simmer and add your curry roux bricks. stir until fully disolved.

once that happens, immediately add:
- roughly 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (We use extra sharp because it adds extra umami)
- 1 bar hershey's chocolate, alternately 1/2 a king size if that's all you can find. (note: We've used other things like trader joes milk chocolate, which is admittedly better, hershey's is just more readibly available)

stir constantly until disolved, the curry will take on a darker brown hue due to the chocolate, and will add considerable depth to the flavor, and the cheese/chocolate with thicken the sauce considerably. If you prefer your curry sweeter, you can add one tablespoon of honey, but instead I add a pinch of salt and about a rough teaspoon of garam-masala powder for extra flavor/spice.

What I will be doing on the side here is in a medium tupperware, add 2 cups brocoli florets & a little water, cover, and then flash-steam via the microwave for 5:25. you can do this in advance but

I tend to add this at the last second just based on personal preference. once the brocoli is to your textural likeness(might require more flash-steaming), add it into the curry. I tend to not cook brocco w/ the other stuff in the pot because if you add it at the end, it doesn't absob all the flavor & you still get the brocco flavor which rules because LET IT BE KNOWN that I love broccoli

Stir the mixture and let it simmer until it starts to form a shimmery 'crust' on the surface layer. that's how you know its done. give it a good stir and remove from heat.

I serve it with sticky brown rice, and if you wanna be fancy you can chiffanade some spinach/arugula sprinkle on top.

for a single person, this will make enough curry to last for probably 7-8 servings, but between the two of us, it makes enough so that we can both have curry for at least 2-3 meals, which is great if you're a really lazy person. also, w/ the inclusion of tofu/tempeh, this dish is a protein powerhouse. if you were to add say, steamed edamame & meat/chicken, the protein content increases exponentially.

its generally even better on day two, like all curry, as the sauce coagulates together and the flavor matures.

Adding a Hershey's chocolate bar and extra sharp cheddar sounds bizarre, but apparently it works wonders.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the recipe. She's not a fan of tempeh, but yes, firm tofu is a good way to go.

I'm... I'm not sure how I feel about Chocolate and Cheese. I mean, at least not yet. I don't even know what Japanese Curry tastes like so I sort of want to experience it as it is before I trick it out.

I assume many of you buy some and eat it, as evidenced by posting here. Do you have to add chocolate and cheese to get it tasty? Or do you like a brand/roux already as is?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I haven't added either, but chocolate is great in mole poblano so I'll be trying that out next time.

My add ins when I'm not super lazy are ginger, garlic, caramelized onion, and grated apple, plus curry powder and garam masala. Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and honey or sweetener if some sort l are really important if you make the whole thing from scratch though. A few pages back maybe we were talking about homemade curry roux.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the recipe. She's not a fan of tempeh, but yes, firm tofu is a good way to go.

I'm... I'm not sure how I feel about Chocolate and Cheese. I mean, at least not yet. I don't even know what Japanese Curry tastes like so I sort of want to experience it as it is before I trick it out.

I assume many of you buy some and eat it, as evidenced by posting here. Do you have to add chocolate and cheese to get it tasty? Or do you like a brand/roux already as is?

There's cheese in Vermont curry if I remember correctly.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

kirtar posted:

There's cheese in Vermont curry if I remember correctly.

Apple and honey I believe.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Japanese curry is their version of the Royal Navy's 19th century version of curry, iirc, so it's not like you're messing with some sacred pure dish

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hallo spacedog posted:

Apple and honey I believe.

All of the above

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

large hands posted:

Japanese curry is their version of the Royal Navy's 19th century version of curry, iirc, so it's not like you're messing with some sacred pure dish

No doubt. I've just only ever had a Thai curry. It's ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I just really want to try a Japanese one. It looks so hearty and comfort-foody. LIke a more exotic beef stew. Perfect for the cold wet weather.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Feenix posted:

No doubt. I've just only ever had a Thai curry. It's ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I just really want to try a Japanese one. It looks so hearty and comfort-foody. LIke a more exotic beef stew. Perfect for the cold wet weather.

Make a Japanese beef stew or Hayashi rice. If you don't like curry then maybe something better to try. Japanese stew and curry are very close ingredient-wise but one curry usually served over rice and the stew is served by itself. Not that you have to eat curry with rice. Hayashi-rice is like a fancier cousin of curry. Usually just beef and onions in the ingredients and the roux is a bit sweeter and can be enhanced with some red wine.

Make all 3! Then you will learn how Japanese housewives make food to last a few days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do the Japanese do beef stew? I make it by sauteeing the poo poo out of chopped onion and a little garlic, deglazing+cooking off with red wine and stock, dumping in sliced/cubed vegetables (e.g. carrot, celery, onion) and beef shank, then simmer for a long time.

Does it deviate significantly from that formula? I actually noticed that シチュー often has some sort of cream in it, so that got me wondering.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollyanna posted:

How do the Japanese do beef stew? I make it by sauteeing the poo poo out of chopped onion and a little garlic, deglazing+cooking off with red wine and stock, dumping in sliced/cubed vegetables (e.g. carrot, celery, onion) and beef shank, then simmer for a long time.

Does it deviate significantly from that formula? I actually noticed that シチュー often has some sort of cream in it, so that got me wondering.

Beef stew is usually made with the same type of roux blocks as curry. The taste is similar to what you are describing. It's not that easy to find beef stock and beef bones in Japan, so home cooks usually use roux.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

My favorite curry so far is a mix of 1:1 Vermont and Java (extra hot). Combining these two somehow makes the flavor more... rounded? And the Japanese places in the city usually include some red daikon pickles (Fukujinzuke) which really add a nice bright touch. I now always miss them if I forgot to get them for homemade curry.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

plasmoduck posted:

My favorite curry so far is a mix of 1:1 Vermont and Java (extra hot). Combining these two somehow makes the flavor more... rounded? And the Japanese places in the city usually include some red daikon pickles (Fukujinzuke) which really add a nice bright touch. I now always miss them if I forgot to get them for homemade curry.

I used to eat those out of the bag with a spoon until one of my Japanese girlfriends caught me and gave me such a look of disgust that I felt real and true shame.

But I'll still put half the container on my curry every time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Those pickles are good, your friend is an rear end in a top hat imo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Japanese pickles loving rule.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

loving right.

I really cannot get good Japanese pickles here; if anyone knows a great Japanese grocery in Barcelona, let me know.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
If you can't find them, not all tsukemono are laborious to make. I'll nth the recommendation of the Quick and Easy Japanese Pickles book. It's my favorite by far. The fukujinzuke recipe is solid.

Lately I've been struggling with nukamisozuke. Somehow I've like lost my touch or something this year. Going to restart again soon. :sigh:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Fukujinzuke is good poo poo I always keep some of those around I make sushi rolls full of them, same with takuan.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I can't get good takuan here and my one attempt at making it the old school way was disastrous. I fuckin love takuan.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Takuan rolls, fukujinzuke rolls and the inari tofu pocket rice things are a really nice clean meal.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I have a long time friend who always makes me thoughtful handmade gifts for Christmas and replying with something store bought (usually booze, I'm not a very creative gift giver and also probably have a drinking problem) has gotten really annoying so I've decided to make them a kind of elaborate multicourse meal in lieu of a gift since cooking is the only form of creative self expression I'm not absolutely abysmal at.

I've been thinking of putting together an Izakaya themed menu since I have a decent amount of experience making Japanese home cooking and the dishes involved aren't commonly available everywhere so it has a bit of flash, but doesn't seem as pretentious as something like French cuisine. I have some ideas already, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for possible dishes to include as I'm thinking of making a lot of small plates. I have pretty good access to Japanese ingredients, so that probably won't be an issue.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I have a long time friend who always makes me thoughtful handmade gifts for Christmas and replying with something store bought (usually booze, I'm not a very creative gift giver and also probably have a drinking problem) has gotten really annoying so I've decided to make them a kind of elaborate multicourse meal in lieu of a gift since cooking is the only form of creative self expression I'm not absolutely abysmal at.

I've been thinking of putting together an Izakaya themed menu since I have a decent amount of experience making Japanese home cooking and the dishes involved aren't commonly available everywhere so it has a bit of flash, but doesn't seem as pretentious as something like French cuisine. I have some ideas already, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for possible dishes to include as I'm thinking of making a lot of small plates. I have pretty good access to Japanese ingredients, so that probably won't be an issue.

Yakitori and/or karaage, some maki, salad with that sesame dressing, maybe some simple braised veggies like kabocha? Yaki onigiri is always nice, too, and more fun than a bowl of rice. Chawanmushi is great if you can do individual ones. Ochazuke if they can hang with umeboshi?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yaki onigiri is also a good izakaya classic.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Skewered negi and shiitake are good additions if you're doing izakaya stuff.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Something like kinpira or nanbanzuke? Anything they can't eat or like in particular?

Fast Eddie
Feb 9, 2007
Agedashi tofu is super easy and super good. Also nasu dengaku is mad tasty and you can throw in some variation by using different miso sauces.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Thanks for all the suggestions, picked up a few recipes I hadn't considered.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you want to get into it there's a cookbook called Izakaya which is real cool, has a lot of classics plus a lot of newer experimental stuff. And cool little articles about the different izakaya the recipes are taken from.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bought some plain old nori today and the bag has the most :psyduck: importer's label I have ever seen, suggesting that due to the high iodine content, if you ate more than one gram a day you might as well be sipping straight adrenochrome, and even for that one gram recommending that you boil it for an hour, changing the water twice in that time.

How would you even strain one gram of anything without completely losing it in the strainer? Who comes up with this poo poo?

The reason I bought them is I want to start making onigiri for lunch again regularly and I'd love to hear some suggestions for fillings. Actually also general tips on getting them right, a good filling/rice ratio and such. I have a mold and in the past I've struggled a bit both with overfilling it and not having enough filling in the onigiri. Now that I think about it that seems like both problems have the same cause :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Not an onigiri expert, but in the past I've mostly made them to use up leftover Shiozake. I usually cook the salmon the lazy way, just marinating it in a salt/sake mixture overnight and baking them 20-30 minutes. (Usual sides are spinach/broccoli gomaae+rice)

I also love adding furikake to onigiri, with ume shiso being my favorite flavor (and it's pretty too!).