Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

apparently nvidia only supports cuda on IBM power 8

like there's no opencl support for nvidia cards on power 8 systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I'm working on making baby's first DNN using cuda ATM, and it sucks in some ways compared to opencl

like I liked being able to pass kernel source to the opencl implementation and having it JITC'd and running. Instead I have to use NVCC, which doesn't work with fedora 26 cause the gcc implementation is too new, so i have a docker container with nvcc and gcc 6 installed just to compile ptx files to run in cuda

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

isn't this what you want

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/nvrtc/index.html

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it only works for ptx and such. i want to load a .cu file at runtime, and aside from calling nvcc at runtime to produce a ptx, it's not possible.

edit: huh, looking at that documentation, it does very much seem to say you can load the cu and get a ptx file from it that you can then call with loadmodule. kinda strange the nvidia reps at the hpc conference i was just at didn't know about it.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 27, 2017

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

you should definitely be able to, all the pre-compiling stuff is motivated primarily by being able to lock people out of your source code files and, if anything, complicates matters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Condiv posted:

apparently nvidia only supports cuda on IBM power 8

like there's no opencl support for nvidia cards on power 8 systems

it's weird how much linus looks like eric schmidt

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

it's weird how much linus looks like eric schmidt

just converging on the 50-year-old Awful Unix rear end in a top hat phenotype

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ok, i started compiling my kernel with nvrtc using a jnr binding i wrote and nvrtc is demanding 32 bit library includes??

edit: i think the rpm-fusion nvidia drivers and the nvidia repo cuda drivers were interacting weird. when i went to uninstall nvidia-driver.i686 (bye steam), cuda-9-0.x86_64 got pulled in too. likewise, installing cuda-9-0 pulled in the 32 bit drivers?

disabling rpm-fusion seems to have fixed things... for now

edit: i'm so loving dumb. i was getting errors like my gcc toolchain was missing cause.. it is! the loving nvrtc documentation says i cannot compile standard c programs with it, just CUDA KERNELS. and so i go ahead and feed it a cu file with an int main and stdio.h and spend the rest of the night scratching my head why this isn't working :ughh:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 28, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just converging on the 50-year-old Awful Unix rear end in a top hat phenotype

i mean at least linus does stuff, unlike esr

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so, i'm becoming less and less interested in using nvidia GPUs for computation right now. yeah, cuda's a nice lib, and yeah, i'd love to use power 8 for what we're doing, but apparently IBM power 8 with nvidia P100s only support cuda and don't support openCL at all. I'm not talking nvidia's typical, opencl 1.2 only support, they don't support vulkan, opengl, or opencl. just cuda. getting locked into a single vendors' computation platform seems like a big mistake, and it seems like nvidia is doing this all over the place (see: nvidia refusing to work with wayland, implementing their own dumb eglstreams thing that no-one uses)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there's sort of a technical justification for eglstreams but it's still kinda dumb

something about being eglstreams being able to abstract out the format of scanout buffers so that the scanout buffer can be encoded in some proprietary pixel format or layout that reduces scanout power consumption idk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is sort of weird since nvidia is setting themselves up with antitrust issues if they actually manage to stamp amd out of the running entirely, and that seems the way it'll end up

i'm going to make an effort post on my pet interest in texture compression one of these days btw

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

(see: nvidia refusing to work with wayland, implementing their own dumb eglstreams thing that no-one uses)

nvidia is 100% of the linux graphics market that makes money

so it would be more accurate to talk about wayland refusing to work with nvidia, instead supporting graphics primitives that exist only in little-used drivers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is sort of weird since nvidia is setting themselves up with antitrust issues if they actually manage to stamp amd out of the running entirely, and that seems the way it'll end up

monopolies are not illegal when come by honestly

if nvidia stamps out amd by offering a better product that customers like better, the doj will blow kisses at them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

disabling rpm-fusion seems to have fixed things...

rpm-fusion is a giant shitpile. never enable rpm-fusion in yum if you can avoid it. if you can't avoid it, install the yum priorities plugin so you can avoid accidentally trashing your system

it is as bad as ubuntu launchpad, if not worse

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rpm-fusion is a giant shitpile. never enable rpm-fusion in yum if you can avoid it. if you can't avoid it, install the yum priorities plugin so you can avoid accidentally trashing your system

it is as bad as ubuntu launchpad, if not worse

rpmfusion wasn't the problem, it was me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

rpmfusion wasn't the problem, it was me

my advice remains the same

rpmfusion is dangerous. install packages individually if at all possible, don't enable the repo if you can avoid it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so it would be more accurate to talk about wayland refusing to work with nvidia, instead supporting graphics primitives that exist only in little-used drivers

it was like this before, but not now with amd

you seriously should buy amd now if you want the best experience in linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

it was like this before, but not now with amd

you seriously should buy amd now if you want the best experience in linux

nvidia is still 100% of the market

nobody is buying firegl in order to do gpu compute lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

apparently amd's radeon instinct line is for that instead: https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-instinct-mi25-gpu-accelerator-deep-learning-246-tflops-fp16

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'm going to make an effort post on my pet interest in texture compression one of these days btw

astc looks cool thats all i know about texture compression

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

firegl is not a thing anymore

for radeon and gpu compute you'd use ROCm

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

amd's newest pro driver has a feature where you can ''host" and toggle between up to two consumer radeon drivers. only works with wx and vega cards though, so no extreme gaming for me.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if nvidia stamps out amd by offering a better product that customers like better, the doj will blow kisses at them

using your monopoly position in one market to gain unfair advantage in another is trouble though, and sham competition with amd seems likely to be better for keeping their options open

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, and that's extremely bad.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

amd have the lead in the games market, playstation & xbox both use amd hardware. i guess that is a significant percentage of profit that nvidia can't touch.
this has the knock on effect that unless it's a dedicated pc game, all time/money will be spent optimising shaders for amd hardware. pc performance is secondary - go buy a faster board if you want bigger numbers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that hasn't materialised anywhere though?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

OzyMandrill posted:

amd have the lead in the games market, playstation & xbox both use amd hardware. i guess that is a significant percentage of profit that nvidia can't touch.
this has the knock on effect that unless it's a dedicated pc game, all time/money will be spent optimising shaders for amd hardware. pc performance is secondary - go buy a faster board if you want bigger numbers.

they don't make much money off of consoles

nVidia cornering the GPU market would be v bad, they already are extracting monopoly rents on high end cards and for AI/ML focused cards

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

a quick google suggests that intel are the bosses of the gpus market from their integrated stuff, and they've started on a combined radeon/intel core for laptops. i wouldnt be surprised if long term, radeon becomes the default 'hi performance' integrated gpu for cheap mass market 'gaming rigs'

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Tankakern posted:

firegl is not a thing anymore

for radeon and gpu compute you'd use ROCm
i wonder if they support system-on-chip for mobile. (SoCm)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's not true at all and is how Microsoft got dinged.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Remember that u.s. antitrust policy is driven by Bork doctrine, which states that as long as consumer prices are going down, monopolies are fine :thumbsup:

This is why Amazon continues to be allowed to exist

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a good policy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

that's not true at all and is how Microsoft got dinged.

microsoft's anti-trust troubles were rooted in using a pre-existing, legal, monopoly (windows) to create strength in new markets (browsers)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

Remember that u.s. antitrust policy is driven by Bork doctrine, which states that as long as consumer prices are going down, monopolies are fine :thumbsup:

This is why Amazon continues to be allowed to exist

this is even worse than it sounds, because the doctrine primarily applies to mergers and acquisitions

current interpretation of anti-trust law is that it is totally cool and good to buy all of your competitors and create an old-timey monopolist trust, as long as you convince regulators that consumers won't be (immediately) hurt by it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not only that but the OS platforms could meet them halfway so they could build their drivers without worrying about poo poo breaking because some rear end in a top hat decided to reorder the elements in a struct

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft's anti-trust troubles were rooted in using a pre-existing, legal, monopoly (windows) to create strength in new markets (browsers)

IE was a legal monopoly in the same way windows was. netscape was just all butt hurt cause they sucked rear end

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

IE was a legal monopoly in the same way windows was. netscape was just all butt hurt cause they sucked rear end

truth. i tried netscape back in the day and the bloated fucker hogged all the resources and froze the system.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

truth. i tried netscape back in the day and the bloated fucker hogged all the resources and froze the system.

truly before its time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Wayland is a windowing system/compositor, not HPC or anything, so in fact its largest target GPU market is Intel. Plenty of people out there running without discrete GPUs because they don't need them to shuffle windows around their desktop.

• Locked thread