Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Guillermus posted:

If you use .227 fanpatch instead of kentie's renderer, you can scale text: http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

I'm currently using steam release with 227 fan patch and hi-res texture pack.

Oldunreal is also nice for the inclusion of OpenAL Soft. I wish every game supported HRTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvyU5qpuY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

haveblue posted:

The cat thing isn't funny :mad:

It appears to be slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect, as Mitzi is alive and fine in this 1996 Q&A with Carmack about Quakeworld, at 8:09.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY&t=487s

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

Also, if you weren't aware, you can :hellyeah: in the Unreal 1 campaign, UT99 didn't invent it.

The functionality of Unreal weapons really did strike me as a novel and nuanced "thing" when I first played the game. The Dispersion Pistol being upgradable and featuring a charged secondary mode, the ASMD's primary & secondary fire interactions, the relatively strange and cumbersome Bio rifle, the chaotic Razorjack, the versatile Flak and Eightball guns...I really did like the personality of most of the weapons, and the cumulative depth of the arsenal.

It just kind of sucks that that arsenal was implemented in a game where a lot of the enemies came off as relatively spongy, a lot of the weapons weren't hitscan, and a few of the most common enemies were very adept at dodging your projectiles.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Goddamn, I'm going through the Unreal series as a whole and, man, I forgot how poo poo-tier UT3's aesthetics were. To me, this isn't any more apparent than when you look at the humongous differences between this installment's weapon design and the rest of the series; Epic was clearly riding high on the godawful "Gears of War" school of art design.

Like, isn't it obvious that this first image is one of the staples of the series, the GES Bio Gun?

Glad to see that UT4 is taking the gun back to a more "classic" design.

Same thing with the classic Flak Cannon--nothing about UT3's version of this gun is remotely readable. It could literally be a construction robot or some kind of spaceship. As with the Bio Gun, UT4 seems to have learned from its predecessor and is sticking to the basics: It looks like a gun, it looks like it's got some sort of industrial use, and it looks like a human being could actually hold it.

UT3's Link Gun looks more like a small space fighter than anything else:

And UT3's Longbow for good measure: "Just put the same stupid fins/sails on it like we did with 2/3rds of the other guns in this lovely game."

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

UT3 is insanely garbage and there's nothing good about it having UT99 and 2k4 before it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

david_a posted:

Carmack really comes off as the living embodiment of every insufferable autistic programmer stereotype.

To hear him tell it, he totally was and growing out of it was one of the best things he ever did.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
So Unreal puts the quickload button right next to the quicksave button.

Otherwise it's growing on me after turning up the brightness per that pro tip above and figuring out that the energy pistol recharges ammo so the game isn't as stingy as it appeared.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Futuresight posted:

So Unreal puts the quickload button right next to the quicksave button.

Otherwise it's growing on me after turning up the brightness per that pro tip above and figuring out that the energy pistol recharges ammo so the game isn't as stingy as it appeared.

My quicksave protip: I bind save to numpad+ and load to numpad/ for everything. It's easy to slam save using my thumb from my mouse hand and quickloading is rarely triggered by accident. Perfect for savescumming.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Goddamn, I'm going through the Unreal series as a whole and, man, I forgot how poo poo-tier UT3's aesthetics were. To me, this isn't any more apparent than when you look at the humongous differences between this installment's weapon design and the rest of the series; Epic was clearly riding high on the godawful "Gears of War" school of art design.

Wasn't it literally the case? As in they actually built it from unused GOW assets?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
UT3 really was so close to being great. But the visuals literally made it harder and less fun to play.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I haven't liked a UT since 99. Movement always feels weirdly cumbersome and slow, like I'm piloting a giant dude rather than actually running around.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

Guillermus posted:

If you use .227 fanpatch instead of kentie's renderer, you can scale text: http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

I'm currently using steam release with 227 fan patch and hi-res texture pack.

Which texture pack would this be specifically? Googling I found a ton, and in a lot of different flavors.

Haven't touched Unreal since the 00's, and wasn't expecting this game to hold up as well as it does.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know if this was already posted, it's almost 2 years old, but still fascinating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CxpdspOV5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye22UAfs6-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcqixlBxbT4

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've never played the original Unreal, but all the talk in the thread made me start watching a let's play of it. The thing that I've really noticed is...the weapon models kinda suck. The enforcer looks like a cereal box and and shock rifle is just....bleh. It's kinda amazing how iconic UT's models are for the same weapons when compared to Unreal.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I clearly recall sucky weapons being the chief complaint against Unreal at release. Not only were the models underwhelming, but the projectiles and impacts were pretty sad, too. I always thought the tiny thumb-sized missiles the eightball launcher loaded were hilarious.

With Unreal Tournament, Epic was very clear about making the guns way more satisfying to shoot than they were in UT. I'm pretty sure naming their giant tactical nuke launcher "The Redeemer" is a direct reference to that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GeorgieMordor posted:

Which texture pack would this be specifically? Googling I found a ton, and in a lot of different flavors.

Haven't touched Unreal since the 00's, and wasn't expecting this game to hold up as well as it does.

http://www.oldunreal.com/textures.html

I have an i7 2600k, 16Gb ram and a GTX960 2GB and I use high end texture pack. It looks good enough and if you have a better rig (mostly video card) you can get the "extreme end".

Also get: artwork.zip+FCityAds.zip+FCityAudio.zip+FCityTexturesPackage.zip+reptiles.zip. Unreal will get a decent overhaul with all that.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Guillermus posted:

UT3 is insanely garbage and there's nothing good about it having UT99 and 2k4 before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuNrjeHJk-w

Only cool thing I remember about UT3 is that one vehicle that made a wall of goo where any projectiles passing through it would slow down.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I played a bit of Unreal due to the recent chat and I think the bulletsponginess wouldn't really be a problem if it let you headshot enemies for better damage. It feels like how Turok 2 would probably play if you could only bodyshot enemies.

Still, it's drat nice looking for its age. Those skies and water are sexy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The weapons in Unreal suck so badly as far as look, sound, feel, and balance against the enemies that it makes me wonder if the game was originally conceived as an adventure game and the weapons and combat were added late in its development cycle.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BattleMaster posted:

The weapons in Unreal suck so badly as far as look, sound, feel, and balance against the enemies that it makes me wonder if the game was originally conceived as an adventure game and the weapons and combat were added late in its development cycle.

Look we get it you don't like them. They aren't actually that bad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Look we get it you don't like them. They aren't actually that bad.

I'm not the only one posting in here who has said these things about the weapons though.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

SwissCM posted:

My quicksave protip: I bind save to numpad+ and load to numpad/ for everything. It's easy to slam save using my thumb from my mouse hand and quickloading is rarely triggered by accident. Perfect for savescumming.

These are the default keys in Deus Ex, was this the first game to use that? I also liked the Thief quicksave button as alt+S, don't even have to move your hand to save

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Flak Cannon in the first Unreal is an alright shotgun, actually (cuz those dodging Skaarj bastards have a lot harder time leaping away from a point-blank shot), it's just ammo for it is stupidly rare.

Otherwise, yeah, the gunfeel of the first Unreal always felt pretty awful to me. Not the worst I've ever seen, but it really lets down the rest of the experience.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'll always prefer the original industrial design of the Enforcer, especially the side-by-side magazines loaded in the front, and especially how you can hear a distinct mechanism click on the second half of the load as it scrapes cartridges from the out-of-alignment magazine :keke:

Edit: I forgot it was called the Automag back then, too, which is also very good

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 13, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Unreal gunplay is crap but the rest of the game more than makes up for it. I had a similar issue with the 2006 Prey. To be quite honest I feel like when it comes to FPSs, it's a good idea to keep the core arsenal traditional (pistol, shotgun, automatic weapon, explosives) and recognizable and then play around with wacky, weird weapons in either the alternate fire modes or the later half of the arsenal. Even when weird guns are pretty analogous to traditional ones, like the Flak Cannon from Unreal, they just...don't feel nearly as good to use.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah Prey is super let down by the gunplay. I agree that they probably should've kept them simpler, since everything else about the game was very out-there.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

I'll always prefer the original industrial design of the Enforcer, especially the side-by-side magazines loaded in the front, and especially how you can hear a distinct mechanism click on the second half of the load as it scrapes cartridges from the out-of-alignment magazine :keke:

Both Unreal and SiN had pistols with front loading magazines. Both came out in 1998 so I've always wondered if one ripped off the other's design, or if there was something in pop culture at that time that inspired both of them.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Wasn't there some kind of mod that let you play Unreal with the weapons from one of the UTs? I remember someone else in this thread talking about it. It kind of sounds like the best way to play Unreal, after hearing you guys complain about how bad the weapons are.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I agree to some degree that Unreal shooting isn't the best. The stinger (blue cristal gun) isn't too hot but the ASMD, minigun (looks awesome), Flak cannon and 8ball are great. I never liked the bio rifle and the razorjack can be amazing in some maps to get some kills out of sight or in tight corridors but in open areas is nearly useless.

I love that, even with little to no plot, just the inclusion of the translator and a bunch of messages left by dead people create an inmersive atmosphere .

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Even when weird guns are pretty analogous to traditional ones, like the Flak Cannon from Unreal, they just...don't feel nearly as good to use.
I kinda disagree with this specific instance, though? Like, I guess it's not quite as thundering a boom as you'd get with most shotguns, but point-blank Flak shots still tear things to shreds in a satisfying manner to me. Bonus points for doubling as a grenade launcher with the alt-fire, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always loved just how many different options and modes they crammed into the Eightball. Rockets or grenades, guided or unguided, single shot or burst up to 6, spread or cluster.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Flak isn't really a shotgun, you can't use it like a shotgun in Unreal. I liked Unreal's guns back then and still do. At least half of them are good. The rocket is the only one that feels wrong to me. The goo gun is a perfect fallback weapon, awkward but powerful. I like the minigun better than what Q2 had, and the rifle is great if you can aim.

And they're good chunky designs.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

loga mira posted:

Flak isn't really a shotgun, you can't use it like a shotgun in Unreal.
Except it is and you can? S'how I've always used it: point blank shots (where video game shotguns always tend to do best), or at least as close as you can get.

I mean, it's admittedly a projectile-based shotgun, spewing lots of tiny projectiles instead of multiple hitscans as with most other video game shotguns, but the projectiles are fast enough that this difference doesn't matter that much outside of, what, long range?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Protip: Skaarj can't dodge flak cannon's secondary fire direct hits (grenade launcher) and won't dodge the explosion so you can gently caress them with alt fire easily. If you aim the razorjack to the ground they will eat up all the shots too and ASMD's combo will melt almost anything.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

I don't usually think of shotguns as something an enemy can dodge, at medium close range at least. On unreal difficulty you have to more or less kiss the jumpy guys before every shot, or they will dodge endlessly until you run out of ammo. Plus it has other properties like hurting the player, and reflecting off walls. It's not quite its own thing of course, and it is Epic's replacement for the id sg.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
An unreal pro strat that a lot of people dont seem to know of or gloss over is that some of the weapons do locational damage. Headshots with the razor jack and sniper rifle can and will instantly kill skaarj as long as they dont have a shield up or something. The eighball can charge up to fire multiple rockets or grenades at once, which will also work really well against dodging skaarj a slong as theyre not really far away. The minigun once you get it shreds through everything on alt fire, and the dispersion pistol and ASMD rifle do ludicrous amounts of damage if you have the amp battery turned on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The trick for Unreal difficulty, as with the end-game bots in UT99, is simple: the biorifle.

It's cumbersome and slow to use, and is often overlooked for that reason, but its indirect use is why it works so well as the enemy skill and aggression is dialled up.

The AI understands that the blobs are dangerous when launched, but has a very hard time dealing with blobs on the floor, and spraying the entire world full of bio gel while backing up, forcing the AI to follow you, can make even the most annoying enemies either outright kill themselves in short order, or force them to stay in a narrow safe corridor where you can now shoot them with something else.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 13, 2017

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

It's also great for spamming behind a corner or a doorway. And when your main gun runs out of ammo in the middle of a fight, when it auto switches to the goo gun you don't think "im hosed", more like "oh yeah this will work".

Something I noticed on my last playthrough is that the point your bullets land on changes with weapon hand setting. With left or right hand there's a horizontal and vertical offset, with centered it's a bit lower than the crosshair, with hidden there's no offset. This may explain why shooting the circling birds feels a bit harder than it should be.

The difficulty btw, unreal difficulty isn't the hardest one with the newest patch, or maybe it's always been this way? You have to open the first map with open nyleve?difficulty=5 to get the hardest difficulty.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

loga mira posted:

It's also great for spamming behind a corner or a doorway. And when your main gun runs out of ammo in the middle of a fight, when it auto switches to the goo gun you don't think "im hosed", more like "oh yeah this will work".

Something I noticed on my last playthrough is that the point your bullets land on changes with weapon hand setting. With left or right hand there's a horizontal and vertical offset, with centered it's a bit lower than the crosshair, with hidden there's no offset. This may explain why shooting the circling birds feels a bit harder than it should be.

The difficulty btw, unreal difficulty isn't the hardest one with the newest patch, or maybe it's always been this way? You have to open the first map with open nyleve?difficulty=5 to get the hardest difficulty.

You can do this in quake 2 as well, and it will effect where the bullets actually leave your screen from. By switching hands you can effectively blind fire around corners and more effectively angle nades and rockets around them as well. Back in the day I had binds set up in quake 2 to change my FOV and effectively zoom in, or switch weapon hands on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Coming off Quake and its shotguns, Unreal's weapons don't seem especially disappointing so far.

The enemies are wearing thin though. There's only so much you can do with a single enemy that I've already killed many times before. Early 3D FPSs not being able to use different mixes of various enemies because of polygon limits feels like it's going to become a dealbreaker for me.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 14, 2017