Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My $30 Cuisinart stick blender has been great FWIW

Cool. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm using a $30 Cuisinart as well, but I have to admit the results are a little chunky (It's the older one that had a dial instead of two speed buttons). If I'm reaching for my Cuisinart I've already decided I don't care. If I care, I'll use the real blender.

Bamix is a professional oriented brand that gets great recommendations, but if you can't swing $130-200 here's a review of home stick blenders:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-immersion-blender/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 8, 2017

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a five quid piece of poo poo supermarket own brand immersion blender that has lasted me ten years and does everything I need it to

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I'm using a $30 Cuisinart as well, but I have to admit the results are a little chunky (It's the older one that had a dial instead of two speed buttons). If I'm reaching for my Cuisinart I've already decided I don't care. If I care, I'll use the real blender.

Bamix is a professional oriented brand that gets great recommendations, but if you can't swing $130-200 here's a review of home stick blenders:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-immersion-blender/

Yeah my expectations are different for an immersion blender than for freestanding blender. If I want perfectly smooth it's going in the vitamix.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks, I have an older... ummm Oster, maybe? It's... good. Had it for YEEEEEARS. But it has some INSANE suction, and really unergonomic handholds/button pressing that cramps your hands as you press the button and try to fight the suck-force.

I think I'm gonna splurge for that Breville soon. I do a lot of soups and whatnot.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I have the Breville and it's really nice, but one thing about it is that the head is oblong and rather large. That's great for soups, but it makes making smoothies or mayo with it a giant pain in the butt because it can't go all the way to the bottom of... pretty much any cup that I've found, except the jar it comes with or other pitcher-sized things.

E: Oh, the Wirecutter review even says it can't do that mayo recipe. Oh well.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 8, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

even wide mouth mason jars?

/e- ahh not due to container shape

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 8, 2017

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any recommendations for sieves/sieve sets? I want the best smoothest purees but without dropping $70 per sieve.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How fine is it, then? I’m looking for something as fine as the Peugeot Paris on the 1 setting.

I tightened the fineness screw as much as I could.

Peppercorn for scale.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Grabbed a big Le Creuset griddle. Do I need to do anything with it or just bit of oil and then bang my meat in?
How about cleaning it do I need to bother or just give it a wipe? Don’t want to ruin it is all :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My only complaint with the cuisinart stick blender is that the blender head isn't either completely sealed, or more disassemble-able. As it is, you can't really put it in the dishwasher, because it fills with water.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am told this is a danish bread slicer

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

This makes so much more sense now

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Was the diving helmet mandatory safety gear?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Due to the electrical load limits in my apartment, I can only use one of the plates on my electric range at a time. I'm thinking of getting a single-plate induction cooker so I can actually have two things cooking at once.

Would any regular stainless-steel cookware work for both the induction cooker and electric range, or should I be getting specific stuff? What pots/pans would you recommend that will work well for both induction and thermal cooking? Thanks!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

anakha posted:

Due to the electrical load limits in my apartment, I can only use one of the plates on my electric range at a time. I'm thinking of getting a single-plate induction cooker so I can actually have two things cooking at once.

Would any regular stainless-steel cookware work for both the induction cooker and electric range, or should I be getting specific stuff? What pots/pans would you recommend that will work well for both induction and thermal cooking? Thanks!

Anything in steel or cast iron should work well, induction heating elements work via magnetism so any ferrous metal will work. One thing to keep in mind is that the magnetic field weakens with distance very quickly so you want cookware with a nice flat bottom to maximize the contact with the magnetic field. Aluminum and copper core stuff is fine too, the steel on the bottom is plenty to heat up everything else.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Anything in steel or cast iron should work well, induction heating elements work via magnetism so any ferrous metal will work. One thing to keep in mind is that the magnetic field weakens with distance very quickly so you want cookware with a nice flat bottom to maximize the contact with the magnetic field. Aluminum and copper core stuff is fine too, the steel on the bottom is plenty to heat up everything else.

Awesome - my existing stainless steel stuff should work, and now I have another excuse to shop for a cast-iron skillet. Thanks!

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

wormil posted:

Was the diving helmet mandatory safety gear?

Ha, I noticed the same thing. Looks like a Mk V? You got some weird/cool poo poo I’m your living room man.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

anakha posted:

Ummmm

What kind of terrifying Mickey Mouse wiring is going down in your building? Ranges are almost always on a dedicated circuit.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ummmm

What kind of terrifying Mickey Mouse wiring is going down in your building? Ranges are almost always on a dedicated circuit.

The specs above appear to state a 1000W limit for any electric range plugged into the kitchen socket. Since I brought in my own range (which maxes out at 20 amperes), I checked with both the building admin and the manufacturer and they both recommended I limit myself to one plate at a time when using the range, as more than one plate going could exceed the limit.

I'm relying on their judgement, so if my understanding is incorrect, I'm more than happy to be taught otherwise.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You could get a power monitor and then see for yourself how much power you are using.

17 bucks at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What is the installed breaker for that circuit rated at? That document is listing assumed loads, not what is actually installed.

Though if they were assuming the range was only going to draw 1kw, they might have actually installed like a 15amp breaker, which is hilariously cheap in the bad way.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm looking for a large plastic container that I can use to brine your average size turkey and then use for sous vide the rest of the time (not SVing the turkey). I'm guessing a 5 gallon would probably be the most ideal for this, and if so are there any go to recommendations?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MrYenko posted:

What is the installed breaker for that circuit rated at? That document is listing assumed loads, not what is actually installed.

Though if they were assuming the range was only going to draw 1kw, they might have actually installed like a 15amp breaker, which is hilariously cheap in the bad way.

Sent you a PM. Thanks.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Does anyone own a food processor with a grating disc that doesn't inevitably break (via warping) after using it for a while? I've gone through two grating discs on two food processors as a result of grating lots and lots of potatoes, and before I cave and buy a replacement disk for my existing processor (which costs like $20 because I can't find it for sale anywhere other than the manufacturer's website) it would be nice to know if there's something out there that won't crap out on me.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Does anyone own a food processor with a grating disc that doesn't inevitably break (via warping) after using it for a while? I've gone through two grating discs on two food processors as a result of grating lots and lots of potatoes, and before I cave and buy a replacement disk for my existing processor (which costs like $20 because I can't find it for sale anywhere other than the manufacturer's website) it would be nice to know if there's something out there that won't crap out on me.

My Magimix grating discs are perfect still, but I don't use it every day. I have a feeling that you're going to be recommended a Robot Coupe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

couldcareless posted:

I'm looking for a large plastic container that I can use to brine your average size turkey and then use for sous vide the rest of the time (not SVing the turkey). I'm guessing a 5 gallon would probably be the most ideal for this, and if so are there any go to recommendations?

Cambro, IMO.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Why not just a 5 gallon bucket?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there good buckets with food-safe plastic out there?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Grabbing a 5 gallon bucket from home depot feels like it would not be a smart idea. This 4.75 gallon cambro container seems like it will do the job just fine. Thanks for the recommendation.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

couldcareless posted:

Ever go camping? Get a cooler. It's great because you can dump in ice to keep it refrigerated for however long you brine it. Hell, even styrofoam ones work fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, most coolers are food-safe HDPE I think, at least on the inside. They're harder to SV in sometimes because you can't easily cover them, and it can be annoying to get the clip of the circulator to fit around the thicker wall.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I do all my sous vide in a cooler, but I cut away a corner of the lid so it closes. And the cooler wall is about the maximum width my nomiku clip can handle. If you don't want to cut the lid, you could just prop it open and cover with platic wrap or aluminum foil.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I too am looking for an electric pepper grinder but am I missing something about the Unicorn Magnum? Amazon says it's a manual one.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Looking to buy a manual pasta machine -- seems like the internet consensus is an Atlas 150... do you goons agree?

I have a Kitchenaid, but unfortunately the outlet location won't allow me to put it anywhere with usable space (like my island) without running a cord across the floor and I'd rather not move it back and forth.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Are there good buckets with food-safe plastic out there?

Lots of 5 gallon buckets are food safe. I own a number of them that I use for various purposes. Way cheaper than a cambro.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pizza Club posted:

I too am looking for an electric pepper grinder but am I missing something about the Unicorn Magnum? Amazon says it's a manual one.

It's manual but the amount of pepper it puts out for one turn makes an electric pepper mill seem unnecessary.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rockcity posted:

Lots of 5 gallon buckets are food safe. I own a number of them that I use for various purposes. Way cheaper than a cambro.

Ah, I didn’t know that. Thanks!

Is it straightforward to get lids that fit them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Go to a grocery store that has a bakery and ask for buckets. Most will have tons of them with lids that pre made icing/other stuff comes in.