Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dannywilson posted:

I had my Justy poo poo the bed the same way as a year ago tonight, but on the other side. The half shafts have splines which run through the brake rotors and mate with wheel hubs that have internal splines. The wheel hubs are the weaker link in this equation, and strip out rather than both of them going. Last time it was an undiagnosable noise that intensified over a couple of weeks before failure; this time it was 2 loud noises in a hundred feet while crossing a 1/2 mile long bridge with no shoulders. The front wheels are a completely open diff sitch, where if one wheel is free spinning the other just goes "not my problem sorry", but the 4wd rear wheels are a locking diff. Immediately clicked on 4WD and made it across the bridge and limped home, but goddamnit was not wanting to do this job again. The parts aren't that expensive, but they are semi-unobtanium that I'll have to order from dealers... for a second time.

You ever look into ordering the parts directly from Japan at all? I know you say they aren't expensive but I have to imagine that you could track down the part number and order it direct. Might even be a lot cheaper, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

You ever look into ordering the parts directly from Japan at all?

You mean like, overnight them?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

You mean like, overnight them?

No I mean a thing I've found is that 'hard' to get parts for stuff that was sold here can be had from Japan directly, if it's usually hard to find.
My wife's Tracker had broken plastic air vents, so I ordered Suzuki Escudo ones from Japan along with some stuff I was ordering for my Acty. I don't know the price difference vs. going to a dealership for something like a Justy, it's why I was asking.

Also did you know that you can still get everything from Honda for an 83 Street L? Stuff like a left-side window? Things like tiny little silver clips that hold on rain trim guards?

EDIT
Goddamn are new OEM wheel covers pricey though, $57 for just one of them :negative:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 13, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Voltage posted:

So I'm going to Vegas for my 30th and I'm going to rent a cool car for a day to drive out in to the desert -

What should I book -

2015 Aston V8 vantage GT auto for $300 but only includes 100 miles, $1.25 per mile over

2017 Challenger scat pack manual for $180 with 350 miles

2016 Vette z06 w/z07 manual for $500 and 100 miles, 1.75 per mile

They all sound kind of awesome but the Challenger seems like such a bargain. I DD an na Miata and Jetta so anything will probably feel fast however...

The V8 Vantage is a pretty disappointing car to drive especially with the sportshift gearbox. It's an automated manual, not a proper automatic. The V8 needs a lot of revs before it goes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh hey so some fun yesterday evening, background: our little street is 3 houses at the end of an adopted street, some other houses back on to it and have been using it to park behind their houses for years. When our houses were being built it was made clear by the council that it was the legal right of access to the new houses, use it fine but don't block it. Fine, the only 4 houses that use it have parking that doesn't block the road. One neighbour has repeatedly been a bit of a twat, blocking or partly blocking it and needing to be told to shift. After my wife wrote a formal complaint to his letting agency/landlord he started to behave for a bit.

Lat night, I hear beeping and go out, guy across from me is a paramedic and has just jumped into his car to respond to a call, twat neighbour has had one of his mates park in the road, 100% blocking it. He reluctantly shifts it out of the way while good neighbour has blue lights flashing, horn beeping and revving the engine. He then proceeds to put the car back in the same spot so I went to have a word.

Driver wasn't aware it was a legal right of access, he didn't think we had any need to use it, despite there being no other way to get a car in or out. He didn't think the blue lights were real and I was rude and he was going to call the police. I encouraged this. He stopped.

Worth mentioning that twat neighbour was watching all this with a poo poo-eating grin from his garden?

So I mention the offence of obstructing a highway, that the road being adopted gives it the status of highway, that the fine if a complaint is made and upheld is £1k. Also good neighbour is a real paramedic and you just delayed him going to a call. That someone just like him saved my dad's life just a few months ago.

He says twat neighbour told him it was okay to park there.

Fine is paid by the registered keeper of the car in question buddy. I've already taken photographs, driver then jumps the fence and starts to thump the poo poo out off twat neighbour before apologising profusely to me and driving off.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Finally saw Baby Driver, a drat good movie, so nice to have an action movie not revolving around comics and superheroes for once.

nooo don't leave the main character alone in the elevator with Kevin Spacey :ohdear:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh hey so some fun yesterday evening, background: our little street is 3 houses at the end of an adopted street, some other houses back on to it and have been using it to park behind their houses for years. When our houses were being built it was made clear by the council that it was the legal right of access to the new houses, use it fine but don't block it. Fine, the only 4 houses that use it have parking that doesn't block the road. One neighbour has repeatedly been a bit of a twat, blocking or partly blocking it and needing to be told to shift. After my wife wrote a formal complaint to his letting agency/landlord he started to behave for a bit.

Lat night, I hear beeping and go out, guy across from me is a paramedic and has just jumped into his car to respond to a call, twat neighbour has had one of his mates park in the road, 100% blocking it. He reluctantly shifts it out of the way while good neighbour has blue lights flashing, horn beeping and revving the engine. He then proceeds to put the car back in the same spot so I went to have a word.

Driver wasn't aware it was a legal right of access, he didn't think we had any need to use it, despite there being no other way to get a car in or out. He didn't think the blue lights were real and I was rude and he was going to call the police. I encouraged this. He stopped.

Worth mentioning that twat neighbour was watching all this with a poo poo-eating grin from his garden?

So I mention the offence of obstructing a highway, that the road being adopted gives it the status of highway, that the fine if a complaint is made and upheld is £1k. Also good neighbour is a real paramedic and you just delayed him going to a call. That someone just like him saved my dad's life just a few months ago.

He says twat neighbour told him it was okay to park there.

Fine is paid by the registered keeper of the car in question buddy. I've already taken photographs, driver then jumps the fence and starts to thump the poo poo out off twat neighbour before apologising profusely to me and driving off.

Everybody likes a happy ending.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I could watch Baby Driver eight more times and still not catch all the cool little bits of background integrated into the music and dialogue.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

So, he didn't care when he was blocking a paramedic on an emergency call, only when there was the threat of a fine?

This is why I hate people.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

KakerMix posted:

You ever look into ordering the parts directly from Japan at all? I know you say they aren't expensive but I have to imagine that you could track down the part number and order it direct. Might even be a lot cheaper, maybe.

I think they come out to about the same price and time to get here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

So, he didn't care when he was blocking a paramedic on an emergency call, only when there was the threat of a fine?

Yeah, this. It's only someone's life, but NOT MY MONEY!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

spog posted:

There have been countless studies over the years involving attempts to modify or promote certain behaviours and one of the most striking conclusions found has been that when monetary reinforcement is used (either positive or negative) it almost universally completely erodes the underlying social motivations behind these behaviors and oftentimes irrevocably as well

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

At first he didn't believe it was a real paramedic, then yes he seemed more concerned with the fine. Good news is that even twat neighbours friends now hate him, hopefully even more so after paramedic neighbour lodges his official - "I was on a call" with dashcam footage - complaint

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Oh god. A cheap, seemingly nice Dodge Raider came up for sale this morning near me with a blown motor.

I have a perfect rebuilt Starion motor in a car without a title sitting in my barn.

Now to convince the wife she doesn't want an $8000 RHD turbo diesel Pajero, but a 190hp 210tq Starion powered Raider!
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/87-dodge-raider82-dodge-d50/6383880289.html

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:siren: Milwaukee sale at Home Depot :siren:

Buncha M18 combos on sale, go check it out, that's my story, byeeeee <3

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

No I mean a thing I've found is that 'hard' to get parts for stuff that was sold here can be had from Japan directly, if it's usually hard to find.
My wife's Tracker had broken plastic air vents, so I ordered Suzuki Escudo ones from Japan along with some stuff I was ordering for my Acty. I don't know the price difference vs. going to a dealership for something like a Justy, it's why I was asking.

Also did you know that you can still get everything from Honda for an 83 Street L? Stuff like a left-side window? Things like tiny little silver clips that hold on rain trim guards?

EDIT
Goddamn are new OEM wheel covers pricey though, $57 for just one of them :negative:

I was making a FATF joke. :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

At first he didn't believe it was a real paramedic, then yes he seemed more concerned with the fine. Good news is that even twat neighbours friends now hate him, hopefully even more so after paramedic neighbour lodges his official - "I was on a call" with dashcam footage - complaint

A good time to nail that fucker to the wall as this poo poo is in the news today:

(bonus 'I am going to start running with scissors' pic of the paramedic involved)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

I was making a FATF joke. :(
I got it, Rhyno. It was funny.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ilkhan posted:

I got it, Rhyno. It was funny.

I didn't get it and instead of laughing it off I'm going to get hella mad and accuse everyone of being huge mean jerks :mad:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Someone explain the joke.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

(bonus 'I am going to start running with scissors' pic of the paramedic involved)

She can block my drive any time she wants!

:heysexy:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I laughed at the joke, and then laughed more when it went right over Kaker's head :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Coredump posted:

Someone explain the joke.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spog posted:

A good time to nail that fucker to the wall as this poo poo is in the news today:

She can block my drive all week if she wants.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Everyone loves a happy ending.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Oh god. A cheap, seemingly nice Dodge Raider came up for sale this morning near me with a blown motor.

I have a perfect rebuilt Starion motor in a car without a title sitting in my barn.

Now to convince the wife she doesn't want an $8000 RHD turbo diesel Pajero, but a 190hp 210tq Starion powered Raider!
https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/87-dodge-raider82-dodge-d50/6383880289.html

Hah, I never knew they did a Pajero/Shogun badge exercise as well as the other Mitsubishi stuff they adopted.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If you don't get the following references you should be banned from AI:
  • I like the tuna
  • Overnight parts from Japan
  • I live my life a quarter mile at a time
  • Too soon, Junior
  • NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWS :kingsley:
  • granny shiftin, not double clutching like you should

please add to this list.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

• I like the tuna
  • Too soon, Junior

please add to this list.

Guess I'm banned then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

spog posted:

Eh.. as someone who's been blocked in by first responders (police in my case - they double parked behind my car instead of blocking an empty space closer to the apartment they were in).

Dude can wait a few minutes. If a first responder is there, don't gently caress with them. You might need them someday. If you have an actual driveway, you can just drive across the lawn or some poo poo.

(also, poo poo, I'd even run with scissors if she showed up... and she don't even have the right equipment for me)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

Guess I'm banned then.

Adiabatic, please do the needful.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i havent seen most of the FATF movies because ~*reasons*~ and i dont care who knows it!!!!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Somewhat Heroic posted:

• I like the tuna
  • Too soon, Junior

please add to this list.

• Danger to Manifold

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tokyo drift is better. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its all terrible car stuff. Ronin was a better car movie.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CommieGIR posted:

Its all terrible car stuff. Ronin was a better car movie.

Ronin is probably the best modern car movie in the way that Heat is probably the best modern guns movie. But neither of them are popcorn movies, which is what the FATF franchise movies are from 3 onward. Yes, the first two are really, really bad, but after Justin Lin took the helm, he turned it into something you could kinda turn your brain off, watch, and be entertained; it just happened to also have cars and over-the-top stunts with cars.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Its all amazing car stuff.

I couldn't agree more. The franchise has gone full circle in every movie, sometimes they even pulled off a 720 and triple salchow, but still stuck the landing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I couldn't agree more. The franchise has gone full circle in every movie, sometimes they even pulled off a 720 and triple salchow, but still stuck the landing.

:obama: Its terrible car stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

• I like the tuna here
  • Too soon, Junior

please add to this list.

"Ménage à!" and the following "Monica! :("
"Dude I almost had you!"
"You almost had me? You never had your car"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

• I like the tuna
  • Too soon, Junior

please add to this list.

pizza boy

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

• I like the tuna
  • Too soon, Junior

please add to this list.

Not emptyquoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

Ronin is probably the best modern car movie in the way that Heat is probably the best modern guns movie. But neither of them are popcorn movies, which is what the FATF franchise movies are from 3 onward. Yes, the first two are really, really bad, but after Justin Lin took the helm, he turned it into something you could kinda turn your brain off, watch, and be entertained; it just happened to also have cars and over-the-top stunts with cars.

And that's why I can't watch them.

Don't get me wrong, I get WHY people like FATF. I do. But I can't do that. I'm just that big of a nerd. Its also why I don't go watch things in theater anymore.

• Locked thread