Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Coinbase, probably. In that it says it's fdic approved but when you check the us governments fdic finder it isn't on there. Probably something to do with them not complying with any of the requirements and refusing the us government access to audit them, lol.
they keep customer fiat funds in custodial bank accounts which are FDIC insured

they don't comply with the requirements for FDIC insurance because they are not a bank, so why would they?

they refuse to let the IRS audit their customer's accounts, which is different than "refusing the us government access to audit them [coinbase]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

i choose to amuse myself when arguing with someone who is confused about the english language beyond a 4th grade level
says guy who concedes i'm using the technically correct definition of trader but insists i'm still not a trader despite the fact that i trade

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

try a hobby like trading bitcoin.
or doctor

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Uranium 235 posted:

says guy who concedes i'm using the technically correct definition of trader but insists i'm still not a trader despite the fact that i trade
correct as long as everyone agrees to remain ignorant of trader being an actual profession :rolleyes:
a bitcoin enthusiast willfully ignoring information that makes him look like an idiot? i dont believe it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Uranium 235 posted:

they keep customer fiat funds in custodial bank accounts which are FDIC insured

they don't comply with the requirements for FDIC insurance because they are not a bank, so why would they?

they refuse to let the IRS audit their customer's accounts, which is different than "refusing the us government access to audit them [coinbase]"

that dont mean they are fdic approved tho?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
traders lose a lot of money every day, I lose a lot of money, I'm a trader

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
what is a bitcoin

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
somebody help

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Old Story posted:

what is a bitcoin

it's those things on the side of bjork's head with that weird hairdo she used to have

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Old Story posted:

what is a bitcoin

World of warcraft gold

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Old Story posted:

what is a bitcoin

a miserable pile of scams

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Old Story posted:

what is a bitcoin

paypal for drugs

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

its fun that you think youre a trader and yet that is a profession of which you are not one. "i trade therefor i am a trader durrrrrrrr"

like im imagining theres a person passed out on the ground and a call goes out "is anyone here a doctor!?" then you step forward "im a doctor :downs:" and the person kneeling over the body notices the stream of feces running down your pant leg and adds "but i mean a real doctor." you reply "well you should have specified that in the first place it would have saved us a lot of time! im obviously not that kind of doctor". then your handler gently pulls you away and walks you toward the mens room

so he's basically a software "engineer'"

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
thank you all

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that dont mean they are fdic approved tho?
correct, coinbase is not fdic insured because they are not a bank. their customers' cash balances are kept in custodial bank accounts that belong to each customer at a bank that is fdic insured

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

temple posted:

traders lose a lot of money every day, I lose a lot of money, I'm a trader
i'm not losing money though

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Old Story posted:

what is a bitcoin
it's a talisman that lets you be whatever you want to be, like a policeman, fireman, doctor, horse jockey, haberdasher, or trader

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Why does Coinbase comply with the feds then in terms of giving up customer information when asked for it? What is there to gain from it? Why do they bother going through KYC laws if at the end of the day they aren’t insured? Just curious really.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Uranium 235 posted:

i'm not losing money though

but you won't put more than 2% of your portfolio in. seems like you don't have enough faith in yourself, go whole hog

Shampy posted:

Why does Coinbase comply with the feds then in terms of giving up customer information when asked for it? What is there to gain from it? Why do they bother going through KYC laws if at the end of the day they aren’t insured? Just curious really.

because they don't want any more scrutiny put on their operation than necessary, so they will "self regulate" so laws don't actually get put in place and gently caress their poo poo up.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Inept posted:

but you won't put more than 2% of your portfolio in. seems like you don't have enough faith in yourself, go whole hog
crypto trading is risky and that would exceed my risk tolerance

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Shampy posted:

because they are registered with FINCEN as a money services business and hold various state-level licenses that require them to comply with state and federal anti-money laundering laws

banks aren't the only businesses legally obligated to comply with KYC and AML laws

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
being a professional crypto trader requires unwavering confidence in the stability of whatever you're trading. i know this firsthand.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
It's harder when the alt-shills learn better english.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Tbh you don't call yourself a carpenter unless you are doing it in a professional capacity.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it sounds really weird to me to think about someone who does amateur work on their house calling themselves a carpenter

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rufio posted:

Tbh you don't call yourself a carpenter unless you are doing it in a professional capacity.

Plenty of amateurs are fishermen though, how do you explain that

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hes made it clear hes not changing his mind on the subject. when he talks about bitcoin youre hearing the qualified opinions with the weight of a real... trader. of commodi currenc something. on a totally real ...exchange. just the same as the ones on wallstreet

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think Jesus ever joined the union either

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Yeah that's a situation where they will call themselves a commercial Fisherman if a professional.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

hes made it clear hes not changing his mind on the subject. when he talks about bitcoin youre hearing the qualified opinions with the weight of a real... trader. of commodi currenc something
doctor

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Probably has to do with how many amateurs there are of something, how likely you are to know an amateur and talk about it in casual conversation, etc.

I'm pretty sure whether something like "carpenter", "blogger", etc implies a professional status is different from word to word and probably also from person to person so I don't think either person in this dumb argument is actually being that ridiculous

Because like uranium said, no one hears "Yeah I'm a runner" and thinks that person is a pro, but "carpenter" sounds professional. Honestly, if someone said "I'm a fisherman", that sounds professional to me too! I would expect them to say "I like to fish" if they were an amateur. But again I think it can vary person to person, how you interpret it.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm a shitposter, paid for by George Soros

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Rufio posted:

i guess the right word to use would have been woodworker, as that's a common hobby that can sometimes be a profession

anyway i think it's strange to think that someone who talks about day trading crypto is saying that he's a professional trader.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah it sounds really weird to me to think about someone who does amateur work on their house calling themselves a carpenter

I call then grover

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

I call then grover

lol

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Probably has to do with how many amateurs there are of something, how likely you are to know an amateur and talk about it in casual conversation, etc.

I'm pretty sure whether something like "carpenter", "blogger", etc implies a professional status is different from word to word and probably also from person to person so I don't think either person in this dumb argument is actually being that ridiculous

Because like uranium said, no one hears "Yeah I'm a runner" and thinks that person is a pro, but "carpenter" sounds professional. Honestly, if someone said "I'm a fisherman", that sounds professional to me too! I would expect them to say "I like to fish" if they were an amateur. But again I think it can vary person to person, how you interpret it.
that's a reasonable take.

the reason i identified myself as a day trader was to distinguish my behavior from someone who buys crypto and holds it long-term with the expectation that the price will continue going up over an extended period of time. the term is useful in that context

gary oldmans diary seems to think i have it listed on my linkedin and business cards

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
invest in my new coin. shitcoin rear end

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
how come noones made rear end pennies yet

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

jimmyjams posted:

invest in my new coin. shitcoin rear end
i might have to mortgage my house boat for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

An index from cryptocurrency analyst Alex de Vries, aka Digiconomist, estimates that with prices the way they are now, it would be profitable for Bitcoin miners to burn through over 24 terawatt-hours of electricity annually as they compete to solve increasingly difficult cryptographic puzzles to "mine" more Bitcoins. That's about as much as Nigeria, a country of 186 million people, uses in a year.

This averages out to a shocking 215 kilowatt-hours (KWh) of juice used by miners for each Bitcoin transaction (there are currently about 300,000 transactions per day). Since the average American household consumes 901 KWh per month, each Bitcoin transfer represents enough energy to run a comfortable house, and everything in it, for nearly a week.

quote:

Bitcoin has two contradictory goals. On the one hand it needs everyone to have the same information. The network couldn't work if I think I have 10 coins and you think I have 5. The way this classically works is you just have an authority keep track of it, the bank. You can simply ask the bank how much money you or anyone else has in the account.
But bitcoin doesn't want a central authority so how can it keep track of who owns what and whose paid who? It uses a consensus based on whatever group has the most computing power. And they're rewarded for this work with a few new bitcoins and that reward is called 'mining'.
So 'mining' is simply the act of gathering up all the transactions the network wants to do and 'signing' it with your massive computer power and pushing it out to the world. You can't have transactions with out mining.
However bitcoin scales directly to the mining power on the network, so if everyone just closed up right and only you were left you could run all the transactions on a general purpose CPU if needed. So there is no reason it has to be wasteful, but the way it works is the greater the reward for mining the more it encourages people to waste electricity.

quote:

That 215 kWh per transaction number is out of date, since the power consumption is growing so rapidly. Last I saw, late this week, it was over 250 kWh per transaction. This is a ridiculous amount of electricity to consume per transaction. Sure, bitcoin is an interesting experiment, but the power consumption problem needs to get fixed. At some rough cost of $0.10 per kWh, that's creating a cost of $25 per transaction. Insane.