Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Is this OOTS or Dwarf Fortress?

Well, right now, OOTS is in a temple fortress of the dwarves, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dog Kisser posted:

(who's that)

It's Hilgya.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dog Kisser posted:

(who's that)

Hilgya, the Cleric of Loki who was in Nale's party from alllll the way back at the very start of the comic that Durkon had a one-night stand with when they got split up from the rest of their respective parties.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

I am going to assume that Durkon was turned into a vampire at the exact moment the child was born, thereby preserving OotS's theme of Bad Fathers. I don't even care that the timelines don't match up

Maybe the comic has been building up to this moment of one good father

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

New page, I feel safe dropping the spoiler tags.

It would have been criminal not to have Hilgya return given the circumstances of this arc. I completely expected her to pop up eventually. I had a hunch it might be her now in the very first panel. When the vampire boss started talking about "her" it became practically a certainty.

And yet still, I completely and 100% did not expect this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh God, he literally used Comic Sans. Why, past Rich, why?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gosh the old art style is jarring.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hilgya, I expected.

The rest, not so much.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

PMush Perfect posted:

it's an honest mistake, it has "comic" in the name :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He'd still be using it but it stopped working properly with Illustrator iirc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Guys, guys. We have a solemn duty to perform:

She used to command undead, but now she turns them, so she can't be Evil. But she's moved by the desire to murder (not kill) Durkon, so she can't have become Good. Since Loki is chaotic evil, Hilgya must be Chaotic Neutral. Discuss.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Now that's one happy looking baby.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That was an excellent reveal and I am 120% down for baby-on-board murdering.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is one of the most awesome comics of all time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

NihilCredo posted:

She used to command undead, but now she turns them, so she can't be Evil. But she's moved by the desire to murder (not kill) Durkon, so she can't have become Good. Since Loki is chaotic evil, Hilgya must be Chaotic Neutral. Discuss.

Can't evil clerics still turn on dead, it's just the result is called "rebuke" or something? Same result otherwise.

And they command instead of destroying, (but both are still considered turning)?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

PMush Perfect posted:

It's an actual comic. This is what Comic Sans is FOR. If he used Times New Roman, that would be a travesty.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it's an honest mistake, it has "comic" in the name :v:

It gets it's name from the fact that it was based on text in comic book (the dark Knight returns?) bubbles, hand lettered.

To that end, I think generic comic sans hate of the internet has gotten ahead of the legitimate reasons not to use it.

It's fine there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Belkar visibly wincing as Protection From Evil is cast on him is a nice touch.

Also, it looks like V got some level drainage. Hope Hilgya knows Restoration!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I will always love Belkar grimacing his way through Evil-targeting area spells.

Also adding my voice to the chorus of aww what a cute dwarf baby.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Can't evil clerics still turn on dead, it's just the result is called "rebuke" or something? Same result otherwise.

And they command instead of destroying, (but both are still considered turning)?

Rebuked undead cower rather fleeing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol, just realized the baby, under stupid rear end d&d rules is only at risk if explicitly targeted by a sunder attack in melee combat.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

Lol, just realized the baby, under stupid rear end d&d rules is only at risk if explicitly targeted by a sunder attack in melee combat.

wow way to spoil the gag on the next strip

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ikanreed posted:

Was about to say, it seems awfully irresponsible to be carrying a baby on your chest when you're going to be bashing heads.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just the fact that people were suggested to use spoilers kinda spoiled what, or rather who, would happen. ;)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Truly, in the end the spoiler tags themselves needed to be spoiler tagged.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've gotten into the habit of checking the site when I only see a bunch of new posts here.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015

RandallODim posted:

I will always love Belkar grimacing his way through Evil-targeting area spells.

Actually it's the protection from evil cloak clasp he bought way back in the Tinkertown.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PMush Perfect posted:

Well most of the time, Rich is sans comic....

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I was genuinely convinced for a while that the voice was V throwing an illusion out as a distraction. This is much better.

I'm also wondering what role Chekhov's Baby is going to play. It kind of feels like Durkon's relationship with Hilgya and the existence of his son are two more pieces that somehow slot into the weakness where vampires don't properly understand human emotions and where their captives can selectively pick which memories to show them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Whybird posted:

I was genuinely convinced for a while that the voice was V throwing an illusion out as a distraction. This is much better.

I'm also wondering what role Chekhov's Baby is going to play. It kind of feels like Durkon's relationship with Hilgya and the existence of his son are two more pieces that somehow slot into the weakness where vampires don't properly understand human emotions and where their captives can selectively pick which memories to show them.

Will Durkon try to convince Durkula he doesn't actually care by only showing him when he gave Hilgya the brush-off, and not the single tear afterwards?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ikanreed posted:

It gets it's name from the fact that it was based on text in comic book (the dark Knight returns?) bubbles, hand lettered.

To that end, I think generic comic sans hate of the internet has gotten ahead of the legitimate reasons not to use it.

It's fine there.

Yeah, Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeesssss!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whybird posted:

yeah, nice catch. I think he's building something quite elaborate in the conversations between the durks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

A pretty deft move by Loki, too -- he just so happened to have a high level cleric with a personal stake in the whole matter.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
I admit, I was expecting Celia at first. About half-way through, I remembered the Hilgya speculation and began to suspect her, but that last panel? OH MY THOR.

NihilCredo posted:

Could the baby have cast it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I mean, is Hilgya even evil? She could be chaotic neutral, which would let her choose whether to turn or rebuke undead. Especially considering how many cure spell she can cast...

(now it is time for me to lament the fact that i just totally grognardded over a gag strip in a stick figure comic augh)

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

GlyphGryph posted:

Can't evil clerics still turn on dead, it's just the result is called "rebuke" or something?

No, you’re thinking of Tsukiko.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I mean, is Hilgya even evil? She could be chaotic neutral, which would let her choose whether to turn or rebuke undead. Especially considering how many cure spell she can cast...

(now it is time for me to lament the fact that i just totally grognardded over a gag strip in a stick figure comic augh)

She doesn't have a funky speech balloon so she's probably not evil. Or is that only supernatural creatures that get that?

Edit: Oh, right, Belkar doesn't either. Never mind.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Good clerics turn or destroy undead, and cast cures spontaneously. Evil clerics command or rebuke them, and cast inflict spontaneously. Neutral clerics choose one or the other, but the choice is permanent. Some cleric domains allow additional turn/rebuke style effects on other types of creatures, such as the Fire domain that Hilgya used to bypass the fire critters in Dorukan's dungeon.

DrakePegasus posted:

No, you’re thinking of Tsukiko.

Wasn't she a mystic theurge? She was a cleric and a wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How long do dwarf pregnancies last anyway?