Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

They were just really good at forcing perimeter shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bewbies posted:

- a total of 122 shots between the two teams including 78 from our team

I think I need to have a talk with that scorekeeper about what a shot is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why, big numbers are awesome.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

actually i'm pretty sure that was accurate, or a bit low if anything

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you counting the drop to one knee, bare chested shot blocks as shots?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

Yeah a lot of scorekeepers seem to count any shots directed towards the net as shots rather than actual shots on goal. Our league cleaned that up a bit though and now the guy who runs it a lot is an ex major juniors players so he counts that poo poo like a pro.

I'm going to New York for a few months so I'm gonna lose all of what little shape I'm in. Not looking forward to coming back and playing after that. I'm too fat and out of shape as it is.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why would going to New York cause you to be out of shape?

Stay away from the halal guys every day and it’s easy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Stay away from the halal guys every day

This is terrible advice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Why would going to New York cause you to be out of shape?

Stay away from the halal guys every day and it’s easy.

Well I won't be playing hockey up there which is like what little exercise I get as it is. I suppose I could bring my poo poo and sign up for a league but A) they're expensive af up there from what I understand and B) airing my poo poo out in an apartment would be terrible there as would having to lug it on the subway.

I might play some Roller or something though if I can find it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just go for a jog every other day and maybe do some lunges with a heavy backpack on or something.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Went to Gunzo's and tried on like a dozen different styles of skate from $200-800. Found that the boot that fit the best was the Bauer Supreme line, but my size of 9.0 D is apparently super common and they didn't have the S180s (the best ones in my price range) in stock in my size, so they sent me 30 minutes away to another store. I got there and they pulled out my reserved pair, but they accidentally pulled S190s, so after like 15 minutes of searching in the back, they found S180s in my size. So they baked my skates and now I'm waiting for them to form around my feet. :toot:

Gotta be honest getting a skate upgrade feels like when you finally saved up enough money in an RPG to get a better weapon. :black101:

The first time I bought new skates was a magic feeling. Growing up I always got used skates, because 1) we didn't have a ton of money, and 2) I'm just going to grow out of them anyway. That new pair though, drat, boots aren't supposed to be broken down and wobbly in the ankle? My skating improved tremendously.

Still though, the broken blade thing. Never did it. I have lost a blade, I have had blades sharpened down to the mounts, but never broken. I've had the mounts break. But the blade? Weird.

I'm still on a pair of CCM 1052 Custom Lite Tacks I got in like 2004 and I expect these things to outlast me easily. Solid boot, great support, yet super light.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Ginette Reno posted:

Well I won't be playing hockey up there which is like what little exercise I get as it is. I suppose I could bring my poo poo and sign up for a league but A) they're expensive af up there from what I understand and B) airing my poo poo out in an apartment would be terrible there as would having to lug it on the subway.

I might play some Roller or something though if I can find it.

It depends on where in New York, Chelsea Piers in Manhattan is probably setting you back a pretty penny, but lasker rink in Central Park, which granted are small sheets and outdoors, isn’t terrible (although the ice and wind is). I’ve heard city ice pavilion in Long Island City is somewhat affordable as well. And if you don’t mind schlepping up to the burbs you can probably get a season in for $375 or less.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Broke in my new skates today with a goal! :toot:

And by "broke in" I mean "spent the whole time on the ice marveling at how stiff and sharp they were". It's gonna take a long time for me to actually break them in. I have way more support on my crossovers and I can do sharp turns on rails, but stopping is like 20 times harder than it used to be because the steel is just so much sharper than my old skates have ever been.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jovial Cow posted:

It depends on where in New York, Chelsea Piers in Manhattan is probably setting you back a pretty penny, but lasker rink in Central Park, which granted are small sheets and outdoors, isn’t terrible (although the ice and wind is). I’ve heard city ice pavilion in Long Island City is somewhat affordable as well. And if you don’t mind schlepping up to the burbs you can probably get a season in for $375 or less.

Yeah I might look into it. I dunno. Depends how long I end up being there. It will be at least Jan-March but after that I don't know yet.

xzzy posted:

Or just go for a jog every other day and maybe do some lunges with a heavy backpack on or something.

Oh I should. I hate running though. But I should probably get over that because I'm overweight now and it would be good for me. Turns out when you hit 30 you can't just eat whatever you want any more and rely on your quick metabolism to take care of it. I'm not a lard rear end or anything but I'm overweight enough that I do feel it when playing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's gonna take a long time for me to actually break them in.

If you baked them they probably won't change very much. If you need to get used to them that can take time, but modern composite boots don't stretch out over time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chemmy posted:

If you baked them they probably won't change very much. If you need to get used to them that can take time, but modern composite boots don't stretch out over time.

Then I probably just need to get used to them. My feet were comfortable the whole time, no hot spots that I noticed. It's just holy poo poo they were stiff and sharp compared to my old, bottom-of-the-line skates.

I'm getting to know a lot of the regulars at Rat Hockey, and the camaraderie is an unexpected bonus of playing hockey that I didn't even consider when I started. :unsmith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Broke in my new skates today with a goal! :toot:

And by "broke in" I mean "spent the whole time on the ice marveling at how stiff and sharp they were". It's gonna take a long time for me to actually break them in. I have way more support on my crossovers and I can do sharp turns on rails, but stopping is like 20 times harder than it used to be because the steel is just so much sharper than my old skates have ever been.

Maybe they didn't cut the same hollow on your skates.

If you dont know what hollow you get sharpened then you might have gotten something smaller this time. Also, your old skates might have just been dull and your new ones are sharp.

"Standard" is usually 1/2" and it goes up or down from there. Once you dial in your hollow, right it on your skate with a sharpie or something to remind you. Ask for the same hollow every time you get your skates sharpened and you shouldn't have those kinds of inconsistencies.

I had a game last night which felt like we were playing a practice squad. Our team got moved down this season for some reason and now we're cleaning up every game. We're 6 and 1 in a league where all the other teams are super close to one another. We won last night 7-2 and had 43 shots to 18. It wasn't a close game at any point through the night. I had one of the most memorable breakway goals of my career where I skated in hard with time and went for the forsberg move where you fake forehand so the goalie bites and then go far backhand and just nudge it past. He got his stick on the puck when I went to squeak it past him but that just popped the puck up in the air and it ended up arching over his head and into the net. It looked 100x more intentional than it was. I ended up with a goal and 2 assists. Luckily the game was clean the whole time, when it did start to get chippy the refs skated by and told us they noticed and were going to start calling a tighter game to keep it in check.

A+ would hockey again.

I have another game tonight. I'm going to not eat a giant bowl of chili an hour before the game. That was miserable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate how hollow is described as a fraction of an inch. Use decimal numbers you idiots.

Ginette Reno posted:

Oh I should. I hate running though. But I should probably get over that because I'm overweight now and it would be good for me. Turns out when you hit 30 you can't just eat whatever you want any more and rely on your quick metabolism to take care of it. I'm not a lard rear end or anything but I'm overweight enough that I do feel it when playing.

Yep, running is by far the worst exercise on the planet. But it's hard to argue the results you can get out of it.

(and if you think your metabolism is going to poo poo at 30, take a mental snapshot of what you eat today and think back in another 10 years. it's :smith: from here on out)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I specifically requested half-inch hollow, since that's what I always preferred for my old skates. The blade literally snapped in half on my old skates, which also didn't have a way to remove the runners, so I really think the steel was just lovely on the old ones (the skates were only $140) and couldn't get as sharp as my new ones. Either way, I'm very happy with my new skates and I'm gonna continue to play a ton to get used to them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does metabolism really get worse as you age, or is it more a factor of spending more time sitting around and snacking? I feel like mine has been the same since about 13.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mine very noticeably dropped off a cliff when I hit 32.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

prom candy posted:

Does metabolism really get worse as you age, or is it more a factor of spending more time sitting around and snacking? I feel like mine has been the same since about 13.

Have a seat and let me tell you about your mid-30’s and on…

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I overheard some guys in the locker room talking about a game the day before where a player was tossed and actually made to leave the building, and they wondered if it had been him that did it. Wasn't sure what "it" was, then I did some Googling and found this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/cabbie-dies-crash-minutes-struck-hockey-stick-article-1.3627787

So uh, either be nice to your local overly aggressive try-hard, or be grateful they don't actually kill you? Not sure which.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

Mine was the same until I hit 30 and then it seemed like a pretty hard slow down. Before 30 it didn't matter how little I slept, how much I exercised, what I ate etc. I was ready to go for anything and seemingly always in shape. I thought it would last forever. I can still eat whatever without gaining weight but how I feel is the big thing.

After 30 I still eat pretty much whatever but I try to avoid total garbage all the time, I get more sore after exercise (specifically hockey) but I also feel like I'm playing at the highest level I ever have so theres that. The tiredness is what kills me. I feel like I'm exhausted all the time. My sleep schedule could be better and likely the biggest culprit but I was never that sensitive to sleep before. If I have a hockey game on monday night, go to work on tuesday morning, I will fall asleep the moment I get home and take a 2 hour nap the second I hit the sofa.

I'm still in decent shape but not like I was. I hate going to the gym and doing exercise just for the sake of doing exercise. I need an activity like hockey, cycling or hiking to keep me active. My thing as I get older is maintaining muscle especially considering I work at a desk all day. I'm currently debating starting up climbing as a way to build upper body strength without doing the whole gym rat weights routine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

Yep!

I'm not THAT old yet but I am over the hill and the changes are real. At the same activity level and food intake, I reliably gain 3 pounds a year. Which means I have to either work even harder, or eat even less (neither of which I actually do).

I also feel like dogshit if I don't go to the gym. I no longer work out to get stronger, I work out just to not feel weak and tired all the time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

z0331 posted:

I overheard some guys in the locker room talking about a game the day before where a player was tossed and actually made to leave the building, and they wondered if it had been him that did it. Wasn't sure what "it" was, then I did some Googling and found this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/cabbie-dies-crash-minutes-struck-hockey-stick-article-1.3627787

So uh, either be nice to your local overly aggressive try-hard, or be grateful they don't actually kill you? Not sure which.

Man, gently caress websites with autoplay videos that scroll down the page with you. Goddrat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I couldn't visit the page because their adblock detector threw up a fake "fatal error" message telling me to turn off ad blockers and try again. :fuckoff:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

It gets worse. I don't think my diet and exercise regimen are much different now than when I was younger but I've gained a fair bit of weight from my glory days of being a young thin dude.

If you have good eating/exercise habits to begin with then you'll probably be fine and won't notice as much that your metabolism has changed. But if you're one of those thin dudes who just eats whatever the gently caress and stays thin like I was then you will get hit by age harrrrd some day.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ginette Reno posted:

If you have good eating/exercise habits to begin with then you'll probably be fine and won't notice as much that your metabolism has changed. But if you're one of those thin dudes who just eats whatever the gently caress and stays thin like I was then you will get hit by age harrrrd some day.

My metabolism has always been garbage (I'll be 35 next week and I eat around 1,400 calories a day to maintain my weight of 185 lbs) but it's gotten noticeably better since I started playing hockey in January. I can get away with more weekends of pizza and beer than I used to.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Sorry for the bad website but basically some dude got in an altercation with an elderly cab driver and hit him in the head with his hockey stick. Driver drove away but then likely passed out, crashed his car, and died at the hospital.

Player was arrested and charged with manslaughter. It was someone who had been playing that day at Chelsey Piers, so likely the guy who got tossed from the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My metabolism has always been garbage (I'll be 35 next week and I eat around 1,400 calories a day to maintain my weight of 185 lbs) but it's gotten noticeably better since I started playing hockey in January. I can get away with more weekends of pizza and beer than I used to.

It helps some. I wouldn't ever rely on exercise to lose weight though. Ultimately most of it comes down to diet. Exercise will help but if you're eating like poo poo it's not going to matter that much unless you have an insane exercise regimen that is burning a ton of calories 24/7 and most people don't.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So you only eat one meal a day? I don't understand...

Thats only like 42 pizza rolls.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

Just going to echo what everyone else has already said: yup. More accurately, every process in your body slows down as you age. This isn't a magic "my metaboliiiism!" thing, but the simple consequence of your body becomes less efficient as it ages. Your cells don't replenish as quickly, your muscles don't recover the same way, your system can't burn the same amount of calories in a given time frame. It hits people differently - my metabolism has always been poo poo, so it's just gotten a bit more poo poo as I've gotten older and entered my mid-late thirties, and the adjustments have been mild. Some people start off with great metabolisms and see a precipitous decline in their 20s and 30s. But it WILL happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I can tell, the only way to avoid getting fat or weak as you get old is to be a dirt poor theoretical physicist who can't afford to get fat, or a personal trainer that uses gym equipment all day.

Maybe both, gotta reconstruct those neutrino collisions on a treadmill!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've gotten a shitload stronger and kept the same weight since my late 20s :shrug:
It's really not hard. Gym 3x/week, strength routine. Hockey 1-2x/week. Maybe a run or bike ride with the kids on the weekend.

Maybe your gym routine and/or diet sucks?

Once I hit the magical line of 32, I just had to eat a bit less a day.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Man, gently caress. When I say my metabolism has been the same since I was 13 what I meant is that my metabolism has been pretty lovely since I was 13, so I was hoping that basically a lifetime of having to watch what I was eating would mean I wasn't in for any surprises. I really dislike almost all exercise that isn't competitive team sports so I guess I'm going to have to add a couple more hockey games to my week as I slide into my mid 30s.

A couple of my friends were skinny as hell in high school and ate whatever they wanted but it seemed like that mostly caught up to them by our mid 20s or so.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've gotten a shitload stronger and kept the same weight since my late 20s :shrug:
It's really not hard. Gym 3x/week, strength routine. Hockey 1-2x/week. Maybe a run or bike ride with the kids on the weekend.

Maybe your gym routine and/or diet sucks?

Once I hit the magical line of 32, I just had to eat a bit less a day.

I mean, at 36 I'm in better shape and stronger than I have been at any other point in my life, barring maybe that I was pretty loose with my diet this summer and put on an extra 5lbs that I hadn't carried the previous three years (but I can do more pullups with those lbs now than I could without them then - hell, more even with a 20lb vest now), which still puts me below my average weight from 23-33, which was already way (to the tune of 50lbs) below my average weight 16-22, so from that perspective I've gotten a lot better about taking care of myself.

But the metabolism thing just sucks, because I've always loved to eat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting back to runners for a minute, anyone ever bought from step steel? Any horror stories?

Easton stuff is pretty scarce now and I've decided to stick with these boots for a few more years.. which means I need new runners.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
at 41 years old i tweaked my back just standing up from the bench on my second to last shift last night. :corsair:

getting older is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I look forward to having a bad metabolism, so maybe I won't get mistaken for a high schooler.