Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Oh man I don't see this working out in any fun way, I'm not doing pages and pages of debate about electricity use because boy do I not give a gently caress

If you are very concerned about these horrible limitations on cryptocoins, dont buy, mine or trade them

for others that think these problems are vastly overstated and eminently fixable, cryptocurrencies await

make your choice and good luck goon

So basically your argument is "I don't understand how he got those numbers, so they're wrong, but also I don't care, but also those numbers are wrong, but I don't care."

Do you have a competing analysis or are you just making poo poo up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

So basically your argument is "I don't understand how he got those numbers, so they're wrong, but also I don't care, but also those numbers are wrong, but I don't care."

No, my argument is, if you care about the polar bears and the melting ice caps and little nigerian kids going without electricity in their shacks because the nearby coin farm is causing rolling brownouts then this must be a terrible time

However, I think this is 100% overstated horseshit, and have not been concerned about power use in data centers which is something people have been crowing about for the past 15 years since dot coms were a thing, and I think it will continue to be a non issue that makes for great articles

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

if you care about ... then this must be a terrible time

It is

:redhammer:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

Well in essence what he is saying though is that if BTC becomes that popular to which that's an actual problem then they'll fix any issues like that which arise. I'm not sure how modifiable BTC is but I'm assuming it wouldn't be a huge problem to alter the architecture to accommodate.

the problem is that if you make any technical improvements, they have to be slight enough to not piss off the owners of the miners because in order to chase efficiency they have invested in electronics that are heavily specialized in wasting electricity and occasionally solving blocks

if the change will prevent them from using their devices to mine they are going to block any adoption of it. In order to get rid of as much overhead as possible, they're running ASICs which mine a certain way and do nothing else. They can't be reprogrammed to handle updated algorithms like FPGAs or are general purose enough like CPUs or GPUs.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No, my argument is, if you care about the polar bears and the melting ice caps and little nigerian kids going without electricity in their shacks because the nearby coin farm is causing rolling brownouts then this must be a terrible time

However, I think this is 100% overstated horseshit, and have not been concerned about power use in data centers which is something people have been crowing about for the past 15 years since dot coms were a thing, and I think it will continue to be a non issue that makes for great articles

It's a concern because eventually the power consumption will cost more than the value of the coin it mines, making it no longer profitable to contribute computing power to the blockchain. How are you possibly this dense?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It's a concern because eventually the power consumption will cost more than the value of the coin it mines, making it no longer profitable to contribute computing power to the blockchain. How are you possibly this dense?

Yeah dude and in the 1960s people were concerned that half the workforce would need to work as switchboard operators to handle this volume of calls and it was totally unsustainable

You know what happened? They invented automated switches for calls :psyboom:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

the problem is that if you make any technical improvements, they have to be slight enough to not piss off the owners of the miners because in order to chase efficiency they have invested in electronics that are heavily specialized in wasting electricity and occasionally solving blocks

if the change will prevent them from using their devices to mine they are going to block any adoption of it. In order to get rid of as much overhead as possible, they're running ASICs which mine a certain way and do nothing else. They can't be reprogrammed to handle updated algorithms like FPGAs or are general purose enough like CPUs or GPUs.

It's cool how the people that think bitcoins are a scam are here to helpfully explain why nothing will ever change or be improved anytime it gets mentioned

miners with their asics!!! ergo cryptocurrencies are doomed

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Free Electricity with One Weird Trick
Fiat central bankers hate it!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah dude and in the 1960s people were concerned that half the workforce would need to work as switchboard operators to handle this volume of calls and it was totally unsustainable

You know what happened? They invented automated switches for calls :psyboom:

This is not remotely the same thing. This is a flaw that is intrinsic to the architecture. This is the problem I see repeated over and over with Bitcoin enthusiasts: they don't actually understand the technology they're so ardently defending.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
btw I sold the bitcoin things and I bought a bunch of stock in a little undervalued US hotel chain that runs 10 hotels in the southern US and I'm feeling real good about the prospects.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

This is not remotely the same thing. This is a flaw that is intrinsic to the architecture. This is the problem I see repeated over and over with Bitcoin enthusiasts: they don't actually understand the technology they're so ardently defending.

No I'm not going to write a bunch of words to convince you, I'm aware of the limitation and I don't believe it's intrinsic or unsolvable. I'd much rather we simply table our difference of opinion until a clear answer emerges rather than me trying to waste a bunch of words trying to establish ecred.

You think it's an unfixable flaw, I don't. You say it's because I don't understand it, I think its because you're buying into an overstated problem in the first place, and one that is solvable as well.

Time will prove one of these positions correct, we can simply revisit the point down the line

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
SOHO's got a strong business model and good earnings; they just delived a good quarterly and they've had solid revenue even in the face of 2 acts of god (freaking hurricanes) in 2016; I'm hoping to see 20-35% return on these puppies.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

cryptocurrencies are doomed

Gonna remember this quote since those are your words and have nothing to do with my post.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Minimalist Program posted:

SOHO's got a strong business model and good earnings; they just delived a good quarterly and they've had solid revenue even in the face of 2 acts of god (freaking hurricanes) in 2016; I'm hoping to see 20-35% return on these puppies.

That's cool I hope it works out. Out of curiosity, 20-35% return in what timeframe? Not gonna compare it to cryptocurrencies, just wondering

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's cool I hope it works out. Out of curiosity, 20-35% return in what timeframe? Not gonna compare it to cryptocurrencies, just wondering

I'm thinking a couple of years, we'll see.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
btw another fun investment opportunity that is sort of tracking the crypto boom/bubble and is going to pop in the same way when their plans turn out to be bullshit, is Overstock.com which is basically just your run of the mill webshop/online retailer that has been trying to pivot to conducting their financial tracking via "the blockchain" and has gone up insanely in value due to the hype. It's going to burst but I'm up 12% on them atm and it's fun.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know enough about property values in that area to comment on 20%-30% but I will say that 6.5% dividends is definitely nothing to sneeze at even if the price of the REIT itself doesn't move much.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

COMRADES posted:

I don't know enough about property values in that area to comment on 20%-30% but I will say that 6.5% dividends is definitely nothing to sneeze at even if the price of the REIT itself doesn't move much.

I know right I put 10k into them and I'm feelin p. savvy about it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

Gonna remember this quote since those are your words and have nothing to do with my post.

Ah the old out of context quote of what I was saying sarcastically? Seems consistent with your other bullshit posts about how cryptocurrencies can't be changed anymore due to asics lmao

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah the old out of context quote of what I was saying sarcastically? Seems consistent with your other bullshit posts about how cryptocurrencies can't be changed anymore due to asics lmao

You do realize that there are consequences for changing application parameters that application specific integrated circuits. Especially when the old parameters are now invalid for the application and the old ASIC can't be used.

I mean it's an issue that bitcoin has run into and hardforked to at least 2 or 3 times at this point specifically with increasing blockade and allowing higher transaction bandwidth.

You'd have to be absolutely ignorant of the technical details like Ham Sand-

Oh. Why did I waste my time.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

exploded mummy posted:

You do realize that there are consequences for changing application parameters that application specific integrated circuits. Especially when the old parameters are now invalid for the application and the old ASIC can't be used.

I mean it's an issue that bitcoin has run into and hardforked to at least 2 or 3 times at this point specifically with increasing blockade and allowing higher transaction bandwidth.

So you're claiming that cryptocurrencies have effectively lost the ability to change anything as of now, November 13, 2017, because a portion of the miners are using asics and will resist changes that invalidate their investment?

Is that what you're claiming? I don't think that's what you're claiming but you sure seem to be enjoying implying it. So, let me ask point blank:

Can cryptocurrencies still implement significant changes to the way they work, from how they are mined, to which ones are used in transactions, to how transactions are done?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You're aware they attempted to fix some things very recently and it didn't go through for that very reason, right?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Minimalist Program posted:

really?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

univbee posted:

You're aware they attempted to fix some things very recently and it didn't go through for that very reason, right?

That's a really, really bullshit way of presenting what happened, which is the same bullshit claim that exploded mummy made.

Is this like, do the buttcoin crew get talking points from like the buttcoin subreddit / yospos thread then come here to show them off? It's just amazing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So you're claiming that cryptocurrencies have effectively lost the ability to change anything as of now, November 13, 2017, because a portion of the miners are using asics and will resist changes that invalidate their investment?

Is that what you're claiming? I don't think that's what you're claiming but you sure seem to be enjoying implying it. So, let me ask point blank:

Portion? No. All changes? No.

You lose the ability to make significant changes when you have enough miners running ASICs that making a change may invalidate a plurality of miners strong enough to significantly impact rate and adjustment.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Can cryptocurrencies still implement significant changes to the way they work, from how they are mined, to which ones are used in transactions, to how transactions are done?

It would depend on how specifically the ASIC was designed, and it's robustness for how it handles the changes.

Segwit? Nothing Segwit changed particularly impacted the ASICs. It got rid of stuff, but ultimately didn't change block size, which didn't in turn screw up hashing.

Segwit2x? That doubled the block size and screws up the ASIC hashing. It and other proposals to increase block size and increase transaction bandwidth keep getting shot down because one of the consequences is that it would severely impact mining power.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

What you're saying is "not actually FDIC secured" then, since coinbase getting hacked or getting their poo poo ruined wouldn't be covered by it, since they don't have FDIC insurance.
but the USD isn't held by coinbase, it's held by an FDIC insured bank

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 14, 2017

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No I'm not going to write a bunch of words to convince you, I'm aware of the limitation and I don't believe it's intrinsic or unsolvable. I'd much rather we simply table our difference of opinion until a clear answer emerges rather than me trying to waste a bunch of words trying to establish ecred.

You think it's an unfixable flaw, I don't. You say it's because I don't understand it, I think its because you're buying into an overstated problem in the first place, and one that is solvable as well.

Time will prove one of these positions correct, we can simply revisit the point down the line

I'm seeing a pattern here of you making some claim about what is/isn't possible then backing out immediately when asked to explain your reasoning.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm aware of the limitation and I don't believe it's intrinsic or unsolvable.

Holy poo poo, a real life "it's in the wiki"

From the same guy who did the real "starting now"

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm aware of the limitation and I don't believe it's intrinsic or unsolvable.

Describe the limitation then.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I also want to see this described so that we know you actually have an understanding of how the vast majority of cryptocoins work.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

but the USD isn't held by coinbase, it's held by an FDIC insured bank

Yes. Exactly. The FDIC insurance isn't valid for other entities. It's only valid for the bank that holds it. Since coinbase doesn't hold FDIC insurance, if they themselves are hacked then you will get jack poo poo. You will only get money back if the *banks* that coinbase deal with get hacked or (through their own stupidity) lose all their money. It states this, very plainly on the FDIC website:

quote:

FDIC insurance covers all types of deposits received at an insured bank, including deposits in a checking account, negotiable order of withdrawal (NOW) account, savings account, money market deposit account (MMDA), time deposit such as a certificate of deposit (CD), or an official item issued by a bank, such as a cashier's check or money order.

Coinbase doesn't have FDIC insurance. That is the long and short of it. The fact they deposit any USD that they actually have (since I'm not 100% convinced that they have balanced balance sheet with respect to USD to "coinbase dollar") is kind of irrelevant because of that.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I realised maybe it's just you don't realise what FDIC does.

All FDIC does is that if the bank fails ( runs out of money, goes bankrupt, etc) then all* the money you "have" with them is guaranteed to be repaid by the US government through the FDIC insurance scheme.

*up to 250k

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't know if I can take any of this fake news about bitcoin. I get all my real news from The Mirror and The Sun.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

I realised maybe it's just you don't realise what FDIC does.

All FDIC does is that if the bank fails ( runs out of money, goes bankrupt, etc) then all* the money you "have" with them is guaranteed to be repaid by the US government through the FDIC insurance scheme.

*up to 250k

odds on that coinbase only maintains a single account with said financial institution?

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like printing paper dollars is somehow a worthwhile endeavor in itself. May as well waste a bunch of electricity on something equally as worthless.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I also love how you just hand-wave away the ridiculously low transaction limit. How is that acceptable to you? Do you actually understand how Bitcoin works, like the actual technology behind it? Because I can't fathom how you could understand how ludicrously inefficient and unscalable it is and still be such an ardent supporter.
like 0.01% of bitcoiners have enough technical background to remotely understand anything so the answer is NO

Do you all actually enjoy arguing with someone as stupid as Ham? I really don't get the draw.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FogHelmut posted:

whats their cost per trade

edit - the more people use bitcoin, the more expensive it becomes to use. its pretty much a stupid and useless design

No, the more SECURE and tamper proof it becomes, you idiot!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Remember when that guy deleted 300million worth of virtual pogs? Lol 😝

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Excuse me, waiter, these ham sandwiches are incredibly salty. Can we order something else?
ps eight transactions per second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yes. Exactly. The FDIC insurance isn't valid for other entities. It's only valid for the bank that holds it. Since coinbase doesn't hold FDIC insurance, if they themselves are hacked then you will get jack poo poo. You will only get money back if the *banks* that coinbase deal with get hacked or (through their own stupidity) lose all their money. It states this, very plainly on the FDIC website:
but coinbase doesn't hold my USD, the FDIC insured bank does. if coinbase gets hacked then they could lose the 2% of their digital assets that they hold in hot wallets. they won't lose their customers' cash balances or their digital assets in cold wallets.

quote:

Coinbase doesn't have FDIC insurance. That is the long and short of it.
yeah i think i said that two or three times already, we are in agreement about this fact

quote:

The fact they deposit any USD that they actually have (since I'm not 100% convinced that they have balanced balance sheet with respect to USD to "coinbase dollar") is kind of irrelevant because of that.
they have to submit quarterly financial reports and an annual audited financial statement to the NYSDFS in order to stay in compliance with bitlicense so i'm reasonably sure their balance sheet is fine. i trust the NYSDFS

quote:

Section 200.14 Reports and financial disclosures

(a) Each Licensee shall submit to the superintendent quarterly financial statements within 45 days following
the close of the Licensee’s fiscal quarter in the form, and containing such information, as the superintendent
shall prescribe, including without limitation, the following information:

(1) a statement of the financial condition of the Licensee, including a balance sheet, income statement,
statement of comprehensive income, statement of change in ownership equity, cash flow statement, and
statement of net liquid assets;

(2) a statement demonstrating compliance with any financial requirements established under this Part;

(3) financial projections and strategic business plans;

(4) a list of all off-balance sheet items;

(5) a chart of accounts, including a description of each account; and

(6) a report of permissible investments by the Licensee as permitted under this Part.

(b) Each Licensee shall submit audited annual financial statements, together with an opinion and an
attestation by an independent certified public accountant regarding the effectiveness of the Licensee’s internal
control structure. All such annual financial statements shall include:

(1) a statement of management’s responsibilities for preparing the Licensee’s annual financial
statements, establishing and maintaining adequate internal controls and procedures for financial reporting, and
complying with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations;

(2) an assessment by management of the Licensee’s compliance with such applicable laws, rules, and
regulations during the fiscal year covered by the financial statements; and

(3) certification of the financial statements by an officer or director of the Licensee attesting to the truth
and correctness of those statements.

(c) Each Licensee shall notify the superintendent in writing of any criminal action or insolvency proceeding
against the Licensee or any of its directors, Principal Stockholders, Principal Officers, and Principal
Beneficiaries, as applicable, immediately after the commencement of any such action or proceeding.

(d) Each Licensee shall notify the superintendent in writing of any proposed change to the methodology
used to calculate the value of Virtual Currency in Fiat Currency that was submitted to the Department in
accordance with Section 200.4 or this Subsection.

(e) Each Licensee shall submit a report to the superintendent immediately upon the discovery of any
violation or breach of law, rule, or regulation related to the conduct of activity licensed under this Part.

(f) Each Licensee shall make additional special reports to the superintendent, at such times and in such
form, as the superintendent may request.
http://www.dfs.ny.gov/legal/regulations/adoptions/dfsp200t.pdf