Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

I thought this one was absolutely horrible.

It's more like a perfume than a whisky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planetarium
Apr 19, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anybody have picks for port-finished whisky? Wasn't a fan of the Quinta Ruban, though maybe I need to try it again now that I'm much more experienced, and I have the Balvenie 21 on the list for the holidays.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Talisker Port Ruighe is pretty nice

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

the spyder posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for other Japanese Whisky. I've been luck enough to find a few local stores that keep a good selection in stock, but I'm looking to expand a bit from here. Only enough my favorite still is Hibiki.

Late to reply, Yamazaki 18 was my favorite Japanese whisky, back when it was simply "pricey." Then the rest of the world also thought it was good, so now it's just absurd. There are newcomers that I'm keeping a very close eye on, namely Shizuoka Distillery and Akkeshi Distillery. But it will be years before they start to hit the market. tbh for a lot of the scotch-like Japanese whiskies, considering the bubble... just buy scotch. I obviously still buy Japanese whisky, but only when I can get it at retail/direct from the maker -- which is obviously much easier living in Japan but still not as easy as one may think. For now my go-to is the NAS Hakushu: it makes a good highball, it's soft enough to nicely contrast with the rest of my collection, and it's still plentiful in supply.

In other news I had my first BOX Whisky, from Sweden, the other day at an event. Spoke briefly with the distillery head and sales manager: they're doing some quite interesting experiments up there, like aging in square barrels. I was pretty impressed with what they have so far given the young age. They attribute this to the temperature differences, going from 86F in summers to -22F in winters, and they don't use climate control in their warehouse.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Planetarium posted:

Anybody have picks for port-finished whisky? Wasn't a fan of the Quinta Ruban, though maybe I need to try it again now that I'm much more experienced, and I have the Balvenie 21 on the list for the holidays.

High West Midwinter Nights Dram. Depending on where you are it may be hard to find but a few years ago it was readily available. The internet ruins everything.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

High West Midwinter Nights Dram. Depending on where you are it may be hard to find but a few years ago it was readily available. The internet ruins everything.

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of MWND for $60 at Total Wine the other week. Apparently unless you stumble into the right store at the right hour it's going to run you about $120 instead.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I went to a whiskey tasting in Boston and had a blast.

Based on my notes, my favorites were the Lagavulin 16, Bowmore 15, and Highland Park Valkyrie.

My father came with and must have drunk half a bottle of the JW Blue before being cut off from the line (I wasn't a fan, liked the gold better).

I recommend going to one as the tickets were $30, and I drank AT LEAST a 700ML bottle worth. My father ended up throwing up after we left, so all in all, a good day.

Verisimillipede
Jul 17, 2006

Got a bottle of Blantons from my future father-in-law for my birthday. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LorneReams posted:

I went to a whiskey tasting in Boston and had a blast.

Based on my notes, my favorites were the Lagavulin 16, Bowmore 15, and Highland Park Valkyrie.

My father came with and must have drunk half a bottle of the JW Blue before being cut off from the line (I wasn't a fan, liked the gold better).

I recommend going to one as the tickets were $30, and I drank AT LEAST a 700ML bottle worth. My father ended up throwing up after we left, so all in all, a good day.

Is that Bowmore the Darkest or was it a different one? I'm not sure how their naming system works, or if there's more than one 15 year old bottling. I love that stuff, even having overindulged on it once.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Verisimillipede posted:

Got a bottle of Blantons from my future father-in-law for my birthday. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Blanton's is great. Bourbon nerds hate it because it isn't a high-abv, bitter, challenging oak bomb of a drink, but I love it because it's just absolute honey & ambrosia.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Vox Nihili posted:

Blanton's is great. Bourbon nerds hate it because it isn't a high-abv, bitter, challenging oak bomb of a drink, but I love it because it's just absolute honey & ambrosia.

Unless you get Straight from the Barrel or Gold editions, which are even better.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

PT6A posted:

Is that Bowmore the Darkest or was it a different one? I'm not sure how their naming system works, or if there's more than one 15 year old bottling. I love that stuff, even having overindulged on it once.

According to my notes, they had Bowmore 12 and 15. I don't think they had a subtitle, or I would have written it down. I really liked the Knob Creek 120, but I've had a soft spot for Knob Creek ever since my friend's dad introduced it to me as my first bourbon at 18.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like I'm getting William Larue Weller via Total Wine this year.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Finished off this bottle last week after cracking it open for my birthday (along with two other bottles).

I'm starting to like most Wiser's bottles that aren't either DeLuxe or Special Blend. There's a very rich sweetness that comes with it, and the standard spiciness from rye whisky. The nose isn't the best, but that's par for the course with Canadian whisky. Honestly, there's almost always a mild ethanol feel.

It's definitely not smooth, but being that it's 43.4% abv, it can handle quite a bit of water to suit your taste.

Edit: description of oiliness was the wrong whisky. My memory failed me on that one.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 4, 2017

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like I'm getting William Larue Weller via Total Wine this year.

Super jealous

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Rittenhouse was an exciting change from my usual bourbon and Irish choices... what Rye should I have a go with next?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

emotive posted:

Rittenhouse was an exciting change from my usual bourbon and Irish choices... what Rye should I have a go with next?

What did you like most about it?

Rittenhouse is considered a "barely legal" rye at only 51% rye, so it's fairly bourbon like. I recommend either a high rye bourbon (Four Roses Small Batch, Old Grand Dad), or another lower rye rye (Knob Creek Rye, Jim Beam Prohibition, Sazerac). There's Pikesville Rye that's pretty much older Rittenhouse at a higher proof, but also double the price.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
E: wrong thread for that. But I'll take this opportunity to say I remain sad that my local stores no longer carry Rittenhouse.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 6, 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Rittenhouse used to be distilled at the distillery that makes Woodford Reserve rye now. WR also has a pretty low rye percentage in its mashbill, so if you like Rittenhouse that would be my suggestion.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Rittenhouse used to be distilled at the distillery that makes Woodford Reserve rye now. WR also has a pretty low rye percentage in its mashbill, so if you like Rittenhouse that would be my suggestion.
I've migrated to WT101, which is probably the most consistent brand in terms of bottling for stuff I like and can afford to drink regularly. I've tried WR but it's a bit boring. The only time I give it a go these days are the 13 oz bottles if a) they're on sale and b) I'm travelling for business or something. Easier than filling a flask.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Macallan 30 is bullshit. I've had 2 pours on someone else's tab and I still prefer Yamasaki 18.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Josh Lyman posted:

Macallan 30 is bullshit. I've had 2 pours on someone else's tab and I still prefer Yamasaki 18.

OB Macallan has been bullshit for like 15 years. I swear every independent bottling I've had tasted since then has been better. No idea what Edrington is doing, but it's bad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Since Glendronach 15yr Revival is dead, what's a comparable alternative?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Origami Dali posted:

Since Glendronach 15yr Revival is dead, what's a comparable alternative?

Paying a bit more for the cask strength bottlings, basically.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

kidsafe posted:

Paying a bit more for the cask strength bottlings, basically.

You can still get the Glendronach 12, 18 & 21 but prices have risen since the ownership changed. Maybe Glenfarclas 17 is a decent stand in.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

biglads posted:

You can still get the Glendronach 12, 18 & 21 but prices have risen since the ownership changed. Maybe Glenfarclas 17 is a decent stand in.

I hesitate to recommend Glenfarclas since it’s just peaty enough to notice it whereas Glendronach has basically none at all. Hazelburn 12 might also be a decent stand-in, but it also has a bit of that Springbank funk.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 11, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Had a chance to sample this stuff while waiting for my plane a couple of months ago.

At the time, I was told it was travel/distillery exclusive, so when I saw this at the LCBO on Friday, I had to pick it up. (Full disclosure, I was raised in the same hometown as Wayne Gretzky). They also had the regular red wine cask finished rye there, but it was disappointing when I tried it.

For $60, it's not a bad purchase. Finished in ice wine casks* from the vineyard, you can definitely tell since it has a really nice, sweet texture that rivals the richness of just about any other Canadian whisky I've tried. Since it's nowhere close to 100% rye, it definitely has way less spice than most, but it's different enough that I don't regret this purchase one bit. That's the picture I swiped from the LCBO's website, but it's darker in real life.

*I thought it might be the only whisky that uses ice wine cask, but Google tells me Breton Rare and Glenfiddich both have offerings that use them, and there might be more. This is probably the most inexpensive of them all. It's pricier than I'd like, but it's not a bad one-off purchase.

Once I move out for good, I might start taking requests/suggestions for other Canadian whisky.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I'm looking for recommendations for the best bang for buck sherry finished whiskies for my uncle. He was kind enough to treat me to some Kavalan fino sherry cask strength and a sherry finished Glenfarclas 25. I'm not sure I can drop that amount of money but hopefully there's still something worth getting to share.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Aberlour A'Bunadh, if it fits in your budget. It's my go-to when a sherry bomb is called for.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Amazon have got a few things on sale, any UK posters weigh in on whether any of these are particularly worth jumping on at the price?

Talisker Skye - £23.90
Talisker Storm - £27.90
Talisker 57° North - £44.90

Ardmore Legacy - £19.79

Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie - £33.90
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte - £37.90
Bruichladdich Islay Barley - £39.90

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Jo3sh posted:

Aberlour A'Bunadh, if it fits in your budget. It's my go-to when a sherry bomb is called for.

Thanks for the recommendation, I picked up a bottle.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Cool, I hope it serves you well. Be aware that it's a cask-strength bottling, so a little water is not to be feared. The one I have is over 60% ABV.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

peanut- posted:

Amazon have got a few things on sale, any UK posters weigh in on whether any of these are particularly worth jumping on at the price?

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte - £37.90

I'll throw a recommendation in for the Port Charlotte, assuming you enjoy peated whisky.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

peanut- posted:

Talisker 57° North - £44.90

I like this but is it especially cheap?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thinking of gifting my friend a bottle of bourbon. He likes Jack Daniels (I know, not a bourbon, but still), what similar stuff can I get that's below $30? I'm thinking of something more upscale or rarer than the standards.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
^ Four Roses Small Batch if you can go over $30, otherwise Bulleit.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Four Roses small batch is my go-to whiskey gift. It’s quality hooch for a very reasonable price.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't they make a more expensive version of JD? Could get him that. I think most people who drink JD do so more because of branding than flavor.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Thinking of gifting my friend a bottle of bourbon. He likes Jack Daniels (I know, not a bourbon, but still), what similar stuff can I get that's below $30? I'm thinking of something more upscale or rarer than the standards.

I've heard good things about JD single barrel barrel proof, but that runs about $50 (split gift?). That said, it would be nice to expand his horizons. Eagle Rare is super affordable and approachable, and the cool bottle makes a drat fine gift for around $26.

Also, JD is a bourbon, it's just not labeled as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Whatever you do, though, do not buy him Gentleman Jack. It's watery garbage.