Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can't imagine it'll be any better than Legend of the Seeker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw on another forum (probably Blu-Ray.com, because of course) that some people were excited by the possibility of a Harry Potter TV show. Because 7 (8?) movies obviously weren’t enough.

I disagree, a TV series that takes place in the Harry Potter universe could be good. I wouldn't mind one that shows what happens after Voldemort's initial defeat. Tracking down Death Eaters, rebuilding the magical world, restoring order. It could feature characters from the series, but it'd probably be better if it didn't.

Or hell, there's even a case to be made for retelling the series from a POV of a different character, maybe an adult. Give some depths to the events of the later books, show what's going on elsewhere in the world.

Really when it comes down to it, there are very few truly BAD ideas when it comes to expanding on the universe of an existing property, just bad execution (which is why I don't read fanfiction, and yes that includes The Cursed Child). Honestly the exploration of the Harry Potter universe is extremely narrow in the existing properties, which is a shame. It's one of my favorite fantasy universes and I wouldn't mind seeing/reading more of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Harry Potter is a series I wish got an EU treatment tbh. Rowling is by no means an amazing writer, but she created a world I would love to see other people do stuff in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Do like Gotham but with Dumbledore.

I'm not kidding I'd watch that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sure, but they weren’t talking about an EU tv show. They wanted a more book accurate version.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Harry Potter universe is small and lovely. All the magical stuff in Britain is like, one school, a couple of streets with some stores, and an immensely bloated bureaucracy to keep their terrible world hidden from normal people. And there's no real underlying logic to any of the magic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JK Rowling is a hack writer who got lucky timing with the zeitgeist.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rowling’s writing (overuse of adverbs aside) is actually fine for the children’s novels that the Harry Potter books are. She’s really good at creating distinctive, memorable characters and environments that leap off of the page and into your mind. They’re not the height of writing, but they are fantastic entertainment.

Speaking of children’s books and television, has there been any news on the BBC/HBO His Dark Materials series? I check Philip Pullman’s Twitter account occasionally but he mostly posts about Brexit these days.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how much Amazon is banking on its ability to get the James Bond rights. I understand they're terribly keen on them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Speaking of children’s books and television, has there been any news on the BBC/HBO His Dark Materials series? I check Philip Pullman’s Twitter account occasionally but he mostly posts about Brexit these days.

They're going to try that again? Didn't the Golden Compass movie from a few years back flop horribly? (I thought it was ok.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu is working on producing a live action adaptation of the Hitman game series. Two things that might help is that the Hitman IP is now owned by the developers and not some big mega-corp and also they got Derek Kolstad to write and EP. Kolstad is the guy who wrote John Wick 1 and 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how much Amazon is banking on its ability to get the James Bond rights. I understand they're terribly keen on them.

Sounds like Annapurna is closing in on 'em.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
That Amazon LOTR series is such an unbelievably lazy and bad idea, especially since, as has been pointed out, there are so many other works they could mine...

Dune
His Dark Materials
Conan/Robert E. Howard Universe
Gor
Dark Tower
Elric Saga
The Chronicles of Amber
Wheel of Time
Mistborn
First Law
Red Rising
The Kingkiller Chronicle
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Y: The Last Man

Honestly, I'm not really up on current Science Fiction and Fantasy, anyone think of any others?

And none of these even mention the various historical epics that they could easily put together. After Spartacus ended everyone was begging for a new Rome series focusing on the Triumvirate.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

They're going to try that again? Didn't the Golden Compass movie from a few years back flop horribly? (I thought it was ok.)

Yeah, the movie flopped. I liked it well enough when it came out (besides the missing ending) but I watched it again recently and it’s worse than I remember. The cast (and bear fight) was perfect but they move from location to location with no real explanation and the removal of the church and subsequent replacement with a generic kiddie movie villain really hurts it.

Thankfully, HBO and the BBC give no shits about pissing off Christians and the miniseries format will give them enough time to actually tell the story so I’m optimistic about the new adaptation... if it ever happens. Kidman, Craig, Green, and Elliott will be big shoes to fill, but HBO might be able to convince them to reprise their roles. I hope they do, I literally cannot think of a better cast than the movie’s.

-Blackadder- posted:

I have no idea how this hasn’t happened yet. Does FX still have the rights?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 13, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

That Amazon LOTR series is such an unbelievably lazy and bad idea, especially since, as has been pointed out, there are so many other works they could mine...

Dune
His Dark Materials
Gor
Dark Tower
Elric Saga
The Chronicles of Amber
Wheel of Time
Mistborn
First Law
Red Rising
The Kingkiller Chronicle
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Honestly, I'm not really up on current Science Fiction and Fantasy, anyone think of any others?

And none of these even mention the various historical epics that they could easily put together. After Spartacus ended everyone was begging for a new Rome series focusing on the Triumvirate.

3-4 seasons of Dune would be great.

Conan would also have been an excellent pick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I have no idea how this hasn’t happened yet. Does FX still have the rights?

Looks like it. Also I hope the adaptation (if it gets made) doesn't "Walking Dead" it and keep it going in perpetuity. Adapt at a reasonable pace and let the damned thing end.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Another whack at Earthsea, but without making them all white this time, would be pretty cool

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think you could have some decent legs running with Stranger in a Strange Land. Maybe 2-3 seasons.

There's some juicy stuff to mine there that would resonate today.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Roadside Picnic/Stalker/Fallout/Metro 2033 sort of series feels so obvious that it's baffling no one has taken the chance at it yet.
Or really any of the Strugatsky brothers works. I love them all and they deserve adaptations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Dune - Denis Villeneuve making this for Legendary Pictures
His Dark Materials - BBC
Gor
Dark Tower
Elric Saga
The Chronicles of Amber
Wheel of Time - Sony
Mistborn - being developed by a Chinese company DMG
First Law
Red Rising
The Kingkiller Chronicle - Showtime and Lin-Manuel Miranda
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - being made into a movie

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wasn't Dark Tower also being made into a series?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A His Dark Materials series would be a trainwreck.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big budget live-action Billy Bat

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't Dark Tower also being made into a series?

They're supposedly still working on a prequel series.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also have to imagine the Neil Gaiman back catalogue is trading hands at a decent clip right now considering how well American Gods did.
Maybe a Neverwhere series?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

And there's no real underlying logic to any of the magic.

Yeah what is this, some kind of whimsical fantasy for children?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They should just get the cast from the radio show they did a couple of years ago.
Richard Mayhew James McAvoy
Lady Door Natalie Dormer
The Marquis de Carabas David Harewood
Hunter Sophie Okonedo
The Angel Islington Benedict Cumberbatch
Mr. Croup Anthony Head
Mr. Vandemar David Schofield

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Maybe a Neverwhere series?

Neverwhere was actually a BBC miniseries first, but it wasn't very good, so the book's overshadowed it now. I think the book is Gaiman's best novel overall.

Anno Dracula would be a good one to adapt, and topical too, because Kim Newman said his original high concept was, "What if the worst person in the world was in charge of the most powerful nation on Earth?" :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

A His Dark Materials series would be a trainwreck.

In what way? The first book failed as a movie mostly because of the removal of organized religion (which the show wouldn’t do) and because it tried to cram too much in to a two hour movie (the show will probably be 6-8 60 minutes episodes, with a season per book).

Normally a TV budget would be an issue but HBO is gonna be funding a decent amount of it, so...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I started watching the series finale of Vice Principals and JESUS loving CHRIST.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I went to see The Golden Compass in the cinema. Oddly enough, it was with a church youth group. Not sure how that choice was made. Anyway, it was pretty bad. It had a lot of problems which were quite separate from anything related to how well or how poorly it was adapted.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

In what way? The first book failed as a movie mostly because of the removal of organized religion (which the show wouldn’t do) and because it tried to cram too much in to a two hour movie (the show will probably be 6-8 60 minutes episodes, with a season per book).

Normally a TV budget would be an issue but HBO is gonna be funding a decent amount of it, so...

The first book was the only good one in the series, as soon as the second book opened with the head witch giving an impassioned speech about how religion needed to be destroyed because of circumcision I really should have just tapped out then and there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghosted is a good show.

"I once watched a guy on meth climb up a billboard for Royal Pains and write "there are too many shows" in his own feces."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/garymbaum/status/930196039247699970

This one, I think, is probably the least surprising of the bunch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
As much as I'd hate to steamroll over that, this is happening next month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4gFlDn6c0c

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just fuckin' do Nine Princes in Amber already

c'mon, people!

I think something like that is somewhat inevitable. Zelazny is pretty widely successful and remembered fondly by a fairly broad range of people, much like Philip K. Dick (who he collaborated with, of course).

If I ever get rich you bet your rear end I'm making a film of Today We Choose Faces.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a problem with doing Amber as a series is that it doesn't have an ending.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with doing Amber as a series is that it doesn't have an ending.

I mean, neither does Game of Thrones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Amazon should have just picked up Dragonlance. It's essentially the same as Lord of the Rings, and after the poo poo attempt at making an animated movie I'm sure the rights are cheap.

Edit - actually best of both worlds, Lord of the Rings archetypes with DRAGONS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

I mean, neither does Game of Thrones.

And it's a problem.

• Locked thread