Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone know if aircraft are able to shoot IFR approaches after sunset to a runway without PAPIs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Sure, why wouldn't you? PAPIs and VASIs go INOP all the time. The only lighting that changes minimums for instrument approaches are approach lights (MALSR, ALSAF etc.) and then the plate or a NOTAM tells you what they become.

Think about it. If you break out right at 200 feet AGL, at night, on an ILS approach, lights that are intended for long-rage visual cues are next to useless. You're watching the runway at that point anyway trying to make a landing.

e: There are times though when circling approaches get "NA'd" at night even if runways do have operating PAPIs. Take a look at any of the approaches for 5B2. Any controlling criteria that affects an approach will be on the chart or NOTAM'd.

That's my pilot perspective anyway.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 11, 2017

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Yeah the tower called me about this earlier saying they had to change runways because the runway in use didn’t have PAPIs. I’d never heard of that before and couldn’t find anything in the .65. We hashed it out on the phone later and it turns out they were mistaken.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I’ll pour one out for you tonight. Training loving blows.

I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

I'm also not looking forward to being there on Monday. I put in for 3 days of change of station right off the bat, was told I could tentatively plan on getting them, and then I never heard anything back. I tried calling/emailing on Friday but forgot the office staff were out for the holiday. I figure I'll just show up Monday, get the first day poo poo done and then take off the next few days. Hopefully anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

I'm also not looking forward to being there on Monday. I put in for 3 days of change of station right off the bat, was told I could tentatively plan on getting them, and then I never heard anything back. I tried calling/emailing on Friday but forgot the office staff were out for the holiday. I figure I'll just show up Monday, get the first day poo poo done and then take off the next few days. Hopefully anyway.

Give your new FACREP a call, they can likely speak to the facility manager for you, and get you verbal approval before the fact. Mention that you put in for it, but do not have confirmation.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm going to start putting in ERR paperwork this week and I'm looking for some advice. As a reminder I'm a level 12 center washout with no certifications, I was put in the NEST and sent to Alaska Flight Service. My local NATCA guys don't have much experience with this stuff since normally people who come here want to stay here. I want to start reaching out to lower level towers to see who is willing to take me. Should I just send the paperwork out first and see what happens or would it be better to talk to the facreps at the places I want to go to and find out if I even stand a chance? I have the priority placement tool so I can see who is low staffed and who might be more willing to take me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm going to start putting in ERR paperwork this week and I'm looking for some advice. As a reminder I'm a level 12 center washout with no certifications, I was put in the NEST and sent to Alaska Flight Service. My local NATCA guys don't have much experience with this stuff since normally people who come here want to stay here. I want to start reaching out to lower level towers to see who is willing to take me. Should I just send the paperwork out first and see what happens or would it be better to talk to the facreps at the places I want to go to and find out if I even stand a chance? I have the priority placement tool so I can see who is low staffed and who might be more willing to take me.

You actually took the FSS job? Didn't think you were gonna do that. Contacting facreps isn't going to hurt you at all. I'm pretty sure talking to the one at ZDV and visiting a couple times is what got me here. Get your paperwork done ASAP though.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

No harm in blasting ERRs everywhere and then following up with phone calls.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

You actually took the FSS job? Didn't think you were gonna do that. Contacting facreps isn't going to hurt you at all. I'm pretty sure talking to the one at ZDV and visiting a couple times is what got me here. Get your paperwork done ASAP though.

I didn't think I would either, but I figured I waited 7 years after my first PUBNAT application for this loving job and I didn't want to resign only to find out that it was possible to get back to real ATC...

I found out that the deadline for the next NCEPT panel in/was today so I guess I have some time to figure out the best way to proceed. Worst case I guess I'll hope natca can get me a flight data 2154 job at a center somewhere close to home.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I didn't think I would either, but I figured I waited 7 years after my first PUBNAT application for this loving job and I didn't want to resign only to find out that it was possible to get back to real ATC...

I found out that the deadline for the next NCEPT panel in/was today so I guess I have some time to figure out the best way to proceed. Worst case I guess I'll hope natca can get me a flight data 2154 job at a center somewhere close to home.

ERR blast and get a hold of FACREPs. Don't disregard possibly doing flight data at centers and large facilities (it's easy, but it's busy work). Also, don't bank on getting high level towers as options if you do get any as an option. Start low.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Tommy 2.0 posted:

ERR blast and get a hold of FACREPs. Don't disregard possibly doing flight data at centers and large facilities (it's easy, but it's busy work). Also, don't bank on getting high level towers as options if you do get any as an option. Start low.

I just don't want to leave 2152 if at all possible but I absolutely will do flight data. I'm looking at level 5 towers and have 10-15 picked out in cities I would be happy living in, bonus that some areas have higher options for down the road.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Am I allowed to just buy / build an air search radar and operate it just for the hell of it? Are there consumer grade air search radars?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Dog Jones posted:

Am I allowed to just buy / build an air search radar and operate it just for the hell of it? Are there consumer grade air search radars?
Without digging too deeply into FCC regulations, my guess would be no. I found this report if you're really interested/an insomniac.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You ARE allowed to run an ADS-B receiver, though. Not the same thing (not a RADAR,) but it might accomplish what you're trying to do (see airplanes in real-time.)

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
Did anyone here know or work with Dennis(I think that was his name)? He just retired in October from ORD tower and I always enjoyed when he was working, he was funny and still good at his job, at least it seemed like that way from a pilot’s perspective. But anyway I heard that he was from New York and worked over at JFK and got into a fist fight with another controller and at ORD people didn’t like working with him because he never really communicated with other controllers

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Did anyone here know or work with Dennis(I think that was his name)? He just retired in October from ORD tower and I always enjoyed when he was working, he was funny and still good at his job, at least it seemed like that way from a pilot’s perspective. But anyway I heard that he was from New York and worked over at JFK and got into a fist fight with another controller and at ORD people didn’t like working with him because he never really communicated with other controllers

Bitter old gently caress? Nope, none of those in this profession. Not a single one.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Bitter old gently caress? Nope, none of those in this profession. Not a single one.

Well to me it’s surprising because at least over the radio he made it seemed like he was having a good time

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For a lot of controllers, the job is literally the best thing they have going on in their lives. They might be good controllers but awful people.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Ferret King posted:

For a lot of controllers, the job is literally the best thing they have going on in their lives. They might be good controllers but awful people.

Having been friends with several guys in ZLC I can testify to this. Although when poo poo hits the fan sometimes they surprise you in a good way.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I ended up bidding a Wednesday/Thursday training slot next year since I wasn't a fan of the other options available.

There are no CPC's on that crew at the moment. We didn't even start bidding until last week and you apparently bid as a CPC here if you have any sectors. So there are literally zero CPC's on the entire crew. :wtc:

I don't even know what you do at that point.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I ended up bidding a Wednesday/Thursday training slot next year since I wasn't a fan of the other options available.

There are no CPC's on that crew at the moment. We didn't even start bidding until last week and you apparently bid as a CPC here if you have any sectors. So there are literally zero CPC's on the entire crew. :wtc:

I don't even know what you do at that point.

Crew buddies!

Content: Automated pointouts are every bit as amazing as I thought they’d be. It feels weird getting legitimate quality of life improvements at work, though. Like the other shoe is about to drop...

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

That guy just wasted thirty seconds of my frequency time, and now I'm behind on six things I need to do with IFR aircraft. If he had just checked on "Center, November three one five Mike Romeo, VFR request," I can get to him as soon as I have a moment, without getting behind on my higher-priority tasks.

My instrument DPE told me that we're no longer to use the terminology "VFR Request", in favor of reading out our whole request on initial contact. Is he full of poo poo?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a patagonian cavy posted:

My instrument DPE told me that we're no longer to use the terminology "VFR Request", in favor of reading out our whole request on initial contact. Is he full of poo poo?

He might have a teaching goal, or it might be a school/club requirement, but that’s annoying as gently caress.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

He might have a teaching goal, or it might be a school/club requirement, but that’s annoying as gently caress.

He's not directly affiliated with the school I go to, and I don't believe he has a specific teaching goal. As far as I can tell, he just thinks that that way is correct.

None of the CFIs I've worked with at that school have a specific procedure for cold-contacting controllers for a request either :shrug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There isn’t a “correct” procedure. It’s just a question of what works.

I know that there are controllers that prefer full-request-VFR checkins. They’re just wrong. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I mean, if you're quick about it, I'd rather just get it over with on the first transmission. There's a slight delay between entering the information into the terminal radar system before it generates a beacon code, but I can usually answer the aircraft with the altimeter and squawk and be good to go for a minute.

But, my keyboard speed is pretty good and this all hinges on the request not being a long winded, stuttering mess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You're going to have to repeat yourself at least 70% of the time if I'm working a sector and you're looking for flight following, so for me at least, short and simple is the way to go. If you keep it short you're also not going to tie up my frequency while I need to be doing things that aren't listening to you stammer out what kind of airplane you're in.

How's your new guy from ZKC ferret?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I like a quick callsign, type, destination so I can at leave give the NAS code to you and get the radar ID and altitude report after I see the squawk pop up.

There’s nothing worse than it being fairly slow and hearing “approach, N123BS” and that’s it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

How's your new guy from ZKC ferret?

I have no idea. I'm moving into more
... Administrative roles these days.

PILLS HERE!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

PILLS HERE!

Remember, management might not always be right, but they always win.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hah. Everyone's been good to me so far. Hoping to stay in the bargaining unit and make myself useful. I'm not switching sides.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

PILLS HERE!

Good luck with that. You'll hear him if he's ever nearby.

God drat, training blows. Having some old guy riding your rear end because you wrote something on a strip in the wrong color is a lot of fun! Hopefully I'll only have to do D-side poo poo in the lab, and hopefully the short version too, because this poo poo seriously sucks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

...a strip...

Sorry, I blacked out for a second.

Strips are the reason I’ll probably never transfer. Strip-free-for-life.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Sorry, I blacked out for a second.

Strips are the reason I’ll probably never transfer. Strip-free-for-life.

No one in my new area actually uses strips. At all. They probably should, and I plan to in the same fashion I did at ZKC, but that's just for basic CYA kind of stuff. My area does have some terrain and some non-radar stuff so I think it's kind of nuts that they don't use strips, but I guess it works for them. I think I might be done with D-side stuff now though? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was doing well enough to only have to run the familiarization problems. I'll know for sure when I go back to work on Wednesday.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

No one in my new area actually uses strips. At all. They probably should, and I plan to in the same fashion I did at ZKC, but that's just for basic CYA kind of stuff. My area does have some terrain and some non-radar stuff so I think it's kind of nuts that they don't use strips, but I guess it works for them. I think I might be done with D-side stuff now though? I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was doing well enough to only have to run the familiarization problems. I'll know for sure when I go back to work on Wednesday.

Why would "terrain" make a strip useful?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why would "terrain" make a strip useful?

Because it's something that a guy landing or departing in your airspace might hit? We weren't exactly religious about using strips in my old area at KC, but they did get distributed to the sector, and most people at least wrote on them some. They just sit on the printer in my new area, and there's something wrong with the printer because it bends the poo poo out of them. It's really just to cover your own rear end in case something happens since it is a requirement in the .65 and all. ZKC was pushing strip stuff after it got brought up during our last couple of inspections, I'm not really sure how ZDV isn't getting that same kind of focus.

I'll be transitioning to the floor this upcoming week, so that will be nice. We probably could have been done last week but we talked them into letting us get this last holiday weekend before sending us down.

In other news, the ATM at ZDV is apparently a complete hardass when it comes to things like change of station or snow leave. The other guy from ZKC that came with me put in for some to do an interview at a preschool for one of his kids and it got denied. It's explicitly for that kind of stuff but he just used annual and doesn't want to make a big deal out of it. I'm gonna need a few days in spring to go back to KC and get my other car, hopefully there aren't any issues. I'm gonna put in for a day next week to help ease my transition and get some things like vehicle registration, CCW license, etc.. stuff done as well, hopefully that's good enough?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think he's asking what you use the strips for that prevents terrain collision.

Pilots and aviation enthusiasts don't use flight progress strips.

Fort Worth Center has digital automation tools to replace strips, I'm guessing you guys don't have that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I think he's asking what you use the strips for that prevents terrain collision.

Pilots and aviation enthusiasts don't use flight progress strips.

Fort Worth Center has digital automation tools to replace strips, I'm guessing you guys don't have that.

ah, I didn't get that. We totally have automation that replaces strips, but you're still supposed to use them for non-radar operations. So basically all arrivals and departures you're providing approach control services for as well as any non-radar overflights. They aren't going to do anything to prevent a guy flying into terrain. They're basically there as record keeping for the controller.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Anyone know who the ZKC controller is that still calls envoy "Eagle?" It's kinda funny but all the new hires I'm flying with keep missing calls because they were never around in the days of eagle flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Anyone know who the ZKC controller is that still calls envoy "Eagle?" It's kinda funny but all the new hires I'm flying with keep missing calls because they were never around in the days of eagle flight.

Which side of the center? Doesn't sound like anyone I knew.

Your company needs to remember to keep putting "Callsign Envoy" in the remarks like they did for a really long time. Hell, they might still do it and I just ignore it now.