Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Seminal Flu posted:

Y'all are salty and argue-y today.

Shut up no we aren't :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

On a completely different topic, I went to the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile event on Saturday. It was fun, but I was expecting a bit more variety. It was pretty much dominated by GM LSx at this one, on that day. Who knows what showed up on Sunday, but it was literally 80% LSx - Lots of Camaros, C5s and C6s, and a whole freaking shitload of CTS-Vs, bot the brand new ones , and a whole lot more of the last gens, including a few wagons. A couple or 3 C4 Corvettes, one LSx pickup (that I never saw run), A few Mercedes Benze AMGs, including an E63 wagon that sounded like doom when it ran - so very noticeable after all the LSx GMs - one lone VW GTI (Mark IV, I think - it was pretty epic really), an AMG G63, a handful of Porsches - including a 918 Hybrid, which was neat, a passel of Lamborghinis of various flavors, including a couple Super Legerras, a smattering of Audis including an R8, and some other stuff. The only musclecars present were a lone '69 Camaro, and an actual top-speed prepped third-gen Trans Am that moved pretty damned quick. Japanese flavors included a few WRXes, 2 Mark IV Supras, and a pair of 300 ZXes, one that was turbo'd out the wazoo. Oh, and a pair of McLarens. One of which was a P1, I believe. Oh, duh, forgot about the batch of R35 GTRs. One of those had front-mount turbos and was just evil.
FTD that I saw was just over 250 MPH, set by a Lambo that was twin turbo'd.
The McLarens did 240, and most of the other Lambos topped 200.

Pretty neat to watch. We were near the end of the half-mile most of the time, so they were really moving by that point. Fast enough that you actually noticed that they were going fast, unlike about 100, where it doesn't seem to *look* as fast from an observer's standpoint. There were several spins as people lost traction one way or another, a couple at the high end so they went for a ride for a while. No injuries, and not a lot of damage to the cars. One guy drove off the track before the marshals and emergency crews got to him. I imagine he got an earful later, as that's a huge no-no. There were a few engine hurting events as well, but no one managed to oil down the track.
It was overcast and in the 60s (F) all day. Perfect for making horsepower, I imagine.
I've got pictures - just need to take them off of my camera.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Well, considering that a fair number of religions refer to it as self-abuse, not really. See also: beating the bishop, flogging the dong, beating the meat.

Choking the rubber chicken

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I liked Mike Nelson and his five-head. What I didn't like were most of the inter-movie skits after Joel left.

Meh, Mike had his moments, but he too often inserted his political commentary into the show and generally just wasn't as capable as coming off both dead pan and hilariously goofy as Joel. That's just my opinion though, I can see why people liked Mike.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I only watch Koyaanisquatsi; once a year and while self-flagellating.

To be fair it has one hell of a soundtrack. And it makes me feel sad.

:(

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there a decent single DIN head unit with USB or Micro SD/SD input that has zero glossy plastic (minus the LCD display) or fake chrome on it? I've been searching for years and yet to find one. Been a bit of a personal mission and I keep getting frustrated at the lack of stuff out there.

Reasons the usual suspects don't work:
Bluetooth pairing is a bear and doesn't allow me to browse through tracks quickly.
Android/apple play are terrible because it's a touch screen.
Aux jack is terrible because it's a touch screen I have to pick up or I have to look down to pick up the MP3 player and change tracks. It's just plain awkward. Controls for the stereo should be on the stereo.
CDs are trash because who the hell uses optical media after 2010?

I've found sticking flash storage into the a car's stereo to be by far the best way to easily listen to music in a vehicle. Especially if I can skip through directories using the stereo buttons.

The Delphi DEA355 is probably the closest to what I'm looking for but they're unobtanium (or $500+) and wiring harnesses are even harder to come by. These Delphi units were used generally on commercial trucks.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 14, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

To be fair it has one hell of a soundtrack. And it makes me feel sad.

:(

I like instrumentals like Vessels from that soundtrack.

puberty worked me over posted:

Is there a decent single DIN head unit with USB or Micro SD/SD input that has zero glossy plastic (minus the LCD display) on it? I've been searching for years and yet to find one. Been a bit of a personal mission and I keep getting frustrated at the lack of stuff out there.

Bluetooth pairing is a bear and doesn't allow me to browse through tracks quickly.
Aux jack is terrible because it's a touch screen I have to pick up or I have to look down to pick up the MP3 player and change tracks. It's just plain awkward. Controls for the stereo should be on the stereo.
CDs are track because who the hell uses optical media after 2010?

I've found sticking flash storage into the a car's stereo to be by far the best way to easily listen to music in a vehicle. Especially if I can skip through directories using the stereo buttons.

The Delphi DEA355 is probably the closest to what I'm looking for but they're unobtanium (or $500+) and wiring harnesses are even harder to come by. These Delphi units were used generally on commercial trucks.

I really want to design a single DIN radio that is the bare essentials, and occupies the minimum of space: USB/Bluetooth/Aux only, no Radio, and can be thin. Very thin. Like the size of a removable radio panel.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 14, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Is there a decent single DIN head unit with USB or Micro SD/SD input that has zero glossy plastic (minus the LCD display) on it? I've been searching for years and yet to find one. Been a bit of a personal mission and I keep getting frustrated at the lack of stuff out there.

CDs are track because who the hell uses optical media after 2010?

The only one I've ever found is this one

We put it in our Tracker it is works quite well. You can also turn it totally off which is nice. I too was looking for a head-unit that didn't look like a 90s rave and really only came up with this one, also wasn't looking for a CD player. Cheap too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'd you look hard enough you can probably find an 8 track somewhere. Otherwise join the modern age and get an AA compatible unit. Android auto is awesome.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ilkhan posted:

I'd you look hard enough you can probably find an 8 track somewhere. Otherwise join the modern age and get an AA compatible unit. Android auto is awesome.

I use Android Auto more than I use the built in Navigation and XM radio. It just...works.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Shut up no we aren't :colbert:

drat, let it go. Reported for crusading.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KakerMix posted:

The only one I've ever found is this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016KOPV1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We put it in our Tracker it is works quite well. You can also turn it totally off which is nice. I too was looking for a head-unit that didn't look like a 90s rave and really only came up with this one, also wasn't looking for a CD player. Cheap too.

Thanks this is pretty neat however it looks like it wouldn't navigate through USB directories very well due to the lack of characters available on the display. Below is actually one of the better units I've seen because it has enough pixels to display full track/album titles/numbers clearly. D- and D+ skips folders and DISP toggles album/track title/track number + time elapsed

Unfortunately it's hyundai OEM so some creative wiring would have to be done to fit it into anything else.

Goober Peas posted:

I use Android Auto more than I use the built in Navigation and XM radio. It just...works.

ilkhan posted:

Nothing about Android's audio organization just works or is awesome. Same goes for touch screens. If you have to press more than 1 button to skip to the next album then the system is pretty terrible. It's easy to splice in a 3.5mm aux jack on most factory vehicle's stereos (I've yet to buy a car where I didn't figure it out) and even with creative mounts or literally interfacing with the android operating system using the car's control using android autio is cumbersome at best. I'm not taking my eyes off the road to figure out where a goddamn touch screen button is.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 14, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

One of the Lepai or similar amps might work. I believe there are a few that are designed to mount like a normal car stereo.
Blaupunkt used to make some of the more conservative head units out there, but Crutchfield has exactly *one* Blau head, and it's a double DIN touch screen.

Maybe try Clarion? The ones on Crutchfield look to have a little flash at my cursory examination, but are somewhat restrained.
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?tp=5684#&nvpair=FFBrand|Clarion

edit: this one is pretty much non-glossy and is USB:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020FZ105BT/Clarion-FZ105BT.html?tp=5684

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'd love to get Android Audio but all my cars, save for the Crown Wagon I have on the way, simply don't have the space for a double-din unit. The Rugger's stereo is so far down that if I attempted to put a touchscreen in its place I'd probably smack it with my hand every time I'd go to shift.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Comedy option:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158RSXGS9/Sony-RSX-GS9.html?tp=5684

It's $1500

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Thanks this is pretty neat however it looks like it wouldn't navigate through USB directories very well due to the lack of characters available on the display. Below is actually one of the better units I've seen because it has enough pixels to display full track/album titles/numbers clearly. D- and D+ skips folders and DISP toggles album/track title/track number + time elapsed

Unfortunately it's hyundai OEM so some creative wiring would have to be done to fit it into anything else.

Nothing about Android's audio organization just works or is awesome. Same goes for touch screens. If you have to press more than 1 button to skip to the next album then the system is pretty terrible. It's easy to splice in a 3.5mm aux jack on most factory vehicle's stereos (I've yet to buy a car where I didn't figure it out) and even with creative mounts or literally interfacing with the android operating system using the car's control using android autio is cumbersome at best. I'm not taking my eyes off the road to figure out where a goddamn touch screen button is.

I never have to skip to the next album? :shrug:

I have several playlists built, leverage the iHeartRadio app for radio, Google Play for stored music, PocketCasts for podcasts. Switching between the 3 and navigating around the 3 apps is easy with voice activation, minimal touchscreen use and pretty reliable. 'Play Playlist Rockout Favorites', and switch songs using the hard keys on the radio. 'Play Journey'. 'Play 80s music'.

Nav with Google Maps is equally easy. 'Give me directions to xxxxxx' or 'Show me the nearest yyyyyyy' followed by a short list of options. Pick one on screen or by responding with a position number.

We are talking about Android Auto, and not the standard Android OS interface, right?

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 14, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This is the worst cocktease.

This is literally perfect but you cannot buy them anymore:

:negative:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 14, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

I never have to skip to the next album? :shrug:

I have several playlists built, leverage the iHeartRadio app for radio, Google Play for stored music, PocketCasts for podcasts. Switching between the 3 and navigating around the 3 apps is easy with voice activation, minimal touchscreen use and pretty reliable. 'Play Playlist Rockout Favorites', and switch songs using the hard keys on the radio. 'Play Journey'. 'Play 80s music'.

Nav with Google Maps is equally easy. 'Give me directions to xxxxxx' or 'Show me the nearest yyyyyyy' followed by a short list of options. Pick one on screen or by responding with a position number.

We are talking about Android Auto, and not the standard Android OS interface, right?
Exactly. My music is all playlists on shuffle. Who listens to full albums?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

The Rugger's stereo is so far down that if I attempted to put a touchscreen in its place I'd probably smack it with my hand every time I'd go to shift.

It sure does, and you have to be in an even numbered gear to change CDs. They barely can fit a CD deck in them anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Alright. Got the Jeep inspected. A lot of electrical stuff with the lights. Either a bunch of blown bulbs or a bad fuse. Haven't looked yet. The other thing is it needs an upper and lower left balljoint. Easy enough to replace. Price though, holy poo poo. Looking at $110 per joint through Ripco, and about $60+ per joint on eBay plus a week postage time. Going to keep looking.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

me

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
$140 buys you the only non-trash non-oem head unit for flash storage navigation, the Continental TR7411U-OR, found on the Rennlist forums of all things. I'd kill for a 90s toyota green backlight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

People that enjoy music?

I keep CDs of my favorite albums in the car and everything else is on a thumb drive for the playlist shuffle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Volkswagen knowledgable guys. Is there a known oil-leak problem with the mid 2000's era new Beetles?

One of my co-workers sort of adopted another daughter (her family is complete poo poo), and she drives one of these things, but it pukes major amounts of oil and she can't afford to have it looked at, so I'm guessing that I'll be doing this in the very near future.

I know exactly nothing about these cars, so I was hoping that there was a typical known issue with oil leaking to give me something specific to check (and hopefully it's not a main crank bearing seal or something).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

Y'all are salty and argue-y today.

No u

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

Volkswagen knowledgable guys. Is there a known oil-leak problem with the mid 2000's era new Beetles?

One of my co-workers sort of adopted another daughter (her family is complete poo poo), and she drives one of these things, but it pukes major amounts of oil and she can't afford to have it looked at, so I'm guessing that I'll be doing this in the very near future.

I know exactly nothing about these cars, so I was hoping that there was a typical known issue with oil leaking to give me something specific to check (and hopefully it's not a main crank bearing seal or something).
VAG like making dipstick tubes out of poo poo plastic that snaps off at the block, that's an easy one to check.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 14, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Very common leaks at the valve cover, and at the oil cooler.

The oil cooler is a squirter and the valve cover is a dripper.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

For the Beetles, a common way to check for problems is to look at the grille. Often, they'll have a mark left over from the manufacturing process, resembling a capital W with a V just above it. If you see that mark, it's a defective car and should be scrapped.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

For the Beetles, a common way to check for problems is to look at the grille. Often, they'll have a mark left over from the manufacturing process, resembling a capital W with a V just above it. If you see that mark, it's a defective car and should be scrapped.

Heresy

Goober Peas posted:

Very common leaks at the valve cover, and at the oil cooler.

This, the dipstick tube likes to break, and oil can travel up the tube far enough to leak. Check the oil cooler too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sup cranky bastids.

Check out my sinkhole of time/money:

six axis arm that I 3d printed.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

CSB dude, you can be honest with us about this "arm".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for the VW oil leak issues gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Also lol at Enourmo's answer.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Man CSB is that a laptop with space for IO boards/microcontrollers? and is that breadboard a bunch of stepper controllers for each axis? If so that's the bee's knees.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dannywilson posted:

Man CSB is that a laptop with space for IO boards/microcontrollers? and is that breadboard a bunch of stepper controllers for each axis? If so that's the bee's knees.

Yup.
https://pi-top.com/
(look for a used one on ebay, cheap as gently caress that way)

breadboard + drv8825s
there's a chunk in the back dedicated to optical sensors.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Oh goodness that Pi-top thing is a nifty piece of kit; surprised they didn't make a I/O line breakout board that exits to the rear.

E: in other maker/fabber news I received a Glowforge on Saturday, and honestly I've been scared to unbox it as I've been sick and busy as gently caress the last 3 days. Did not realize the box would be this big. Also pictured: VantaBlack catte who absorbs all light like the monsters from Attack the Block, spun aluminum/mirror 60's coffee table that is the thing people automatically do drugs off of when they see it:

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 14, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

On a completely different topic, I went to the WannaGoFast 1/2 mile event on Saturday. It was fun, but I was expecting a bit more variety. It was pretty much dominated by GM LSx at this one, on that day. Who knows what showed up on Sunday, but it was literally 80% LSx - Lots of Camaros, C5s and C6s, and a whole freaking shitload of CTS-Vs, bot the brand new ones , and a whole lot more of the last gens, including a few wagons. A couple or 3 C4 Corvettes, one LSx pickup (that I never saw run), A few Mercedes Benze AMGs, including an E63 wagon that sounded like doom when it ran - so very noticeable after all the LSx GMs - one lone VW GTI (Mark IV, I think - it was pretty epic really), an AMG G63, a handful of Porsches - including a 918 Hybrid, which was neat, a passel of Lamborghinis of various flavors, including a couple Super Legerras, a smattering of Audis including an R8, and some other stuff. The only musclecars present were a lone '69 Camaro, and an actual top-speed prepped third-gen Trans Am that moved pretty damned quick. Japanese flavors included a few WRXes, 2 Mark IV Supras, and a pair of 300 ZXes, one that was turbo'd out the wazoo. Oh, and a pair of McLarens. One of which was a P1, I believe. Oh, duh, forgot about the batch of R35 GTRs. One of those had front-mount turbos and was just evil.
FTD that I saw was just over 250 MPH, set by a Lambo that was twin turbo'd.
The McLarens did 240, and most of the other Lambos topped 200.

Yeah, ours is about 35% LS powered, 30% GTR, 35% everything else as well. Sadly, it kinda goes with the territory of top speed events like wannagofast/tx2k/fl2k/etc. People tend to drive what works if they're out there trying to be competitive. Also, I saw video of that 250mph warmup run. Apparently on followup runs he got up to 268mph before breaking something. :catstare:

Edit: Oh, almost forgot to ask if kooks was out there with their 300c. That thing manages to sound like the entirety of ww2 is trying to exit the tailpipes when it lets loose.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 14, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$140 buys you the only non-trash non-oem head unit for flash storage navigation, the Continental TR7411U-OR, found on the Rennlist forums of all things. I'd kill for a 90s toyota green backlight.

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. The Stuttgart guys love them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Oathbringer releases tomorrow. I'm super excited. Tonight is gonna suck. On the plus side, I'm going into work early tomorrow...and thus getting off work early too. :D

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Oh poo poo, you're right, Oathbringer Tuesday! This is one day I hope work is slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

I think :golfclap: is pretty appropriate here... since a Golf is also found with those marks.

I think that's still hitting on something OP was complaining about - just not enough display to navigate easily through folders. Stereos with actual pixel displays (even low resolution) seem to be what he's looking for.

That is a drat decent stereo, but are they even sold in the US? I'm only seeing them on international websites.

Goober Peas posted:

So I guess in my teens and 20s I was an oil cooler, now I'm a valve cover? :smith:

• Locked thread