Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

When I put coolant In my radiator it gives the fluid a sweet taste. Not exactly what I'd call dangerous poison though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, VSP is pretty safe on the lungs. None of my bottles has a strong odor of any sort, and I'm pretty sensitive about that kind of thing.

Are you adding any kind of thinners or other agents to the stuff? I've noticed when I prime my dudes, the airbrush thinner will give the primed pieces a sort of sweet smell. It's certainly not what I'd describe as dangerous fumes, though.

No, I'd just been brushing it on out of the bottle. I guess it doesn't smell fumy but it does have a noticeable odor to it that sticks around a little while as it dries, and other acrylics don't seem to have that.

This is pretty good news though and it sounds like I'll be okay with a makeshift spray booth indoors since I'd only been doing vallejo type acrylics.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Hixson posted:

When I put coolant In my radiator it gives the fluid a sweet taste. Not exactly what I'd call dangerous poison though

I mean, I'm assuming nobody in this discussion is doing rips right off the business end of their airbrush or dropping thinner straight into their eyes. Then again, TCC exists...

Booyah- posted:

No, I'd just been brushing it on out of the bottle. I guess it doesn't smell fumy but it does have a noticeable odor to it that sticks around a little while as it dries, and other acrylics don't seem to have that.

This is pretty good news though and it sounds like I'll be okay with a makeshift spray booth indoors since I'd only been doing vallejo type acrylics.

For what it's worth, there's no harm in indulging in some hypochondria now and then.

The real nasty stuff in most paints are solvents, which will actively gently caress up your lungs and other tissues if they're introduced to each other. Acrylics get around this by being water-based. This doesn't mean you should sit there and breathe deep in your overspray cloud, however. Particulates can still do nasty things to your lungs, especially as they accumulate over time.

If you want to be as safe as you can realistically get while you're working with vapor clouds of paint, make sure your paint booth has some kind of negative pressure system on it - in my case, a fan to suck air toward the filter, rather than drift toward my face; always work with eye protection, even if it's just a simple pair of open-frame safety glasses; and if you can work up the scratch, buy a replaceable filter respirator mask. You can get 'em for twenty or thirty bucks at your local hardware store or off Amazon. The fabric dust masks are okay in a pinch, but they don't totally seal up against your skin.

The CDC page about filter grades is here. For acrylic work, an N95 filter is a solid bet, but if you have the cash and sufficient paranoia, you can find P100 filters pretty easily.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Reaper Indy mousling painted last week, Dwarf Engineer from Avatars of War painted yesterday. Getting through the old back log of stuff I primed three years ago one tiny figure at a time:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That mouse is cute af and both models are incredibly detailed. I am hella jealous at your ability & talent!!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Schadenboner posted:

What would you need to do to turn a disused (wood-burning) fireplace into a vent-hood to do indoor airbrush spraying?

Something like this:

Interesting question.

You'd want a ducted fan that fit the chimney well - just placing a fan is going to turn the air in the room over rather than force it through the chimney. The chimney would need to be open, too, and a lot of unused ones get sealed. Then you'd need to basically paint in the fireplace, which might be tricky.

You'd probably find it way cheaper and easier to just buy a bench set-up, but the chimney thing sounds fun.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Schadenboner posted:

What would you need to do to turn a disused (wood-burning) fireplace into a vent-hood to do indoor airbrush spraying?

Something like this:

You have to tear out some of the drywall to get to the duct work, then connect some sort of fume hood to the existing chimney. Tearing out the fireplace and installing a nice access point to plug one in that is easy to repair later on would be ideal, but a fireplace might be an amenity to the house if you ever sell it. At least more than an airbrush station.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Something like this:

You'd need to get a airbrush station like I mentioned earlier and run the exhaust hose into it. Otherwise, you'd be wasting a lot of time and money on something that you can get for $80.

grassy gnoll posted:

NOTE CAREFULLY: this does not apply in the slightest if you're using oil-based paints, shellacs, or anything else with more active chemistry than acrylic paints. Don't mess with that stuff unless you know what you're doing, up to and including relevant safety precautions.
Good point - I forgot to mention this. One of the things that a lot of vent fans (i.e. electric motors) do when they start up is throw a spark. Anything with a flammable solvent is at risk of combusting if it comes into contact with said spark. With water based paints, you do not have to concern yourself with this.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
I am thinking of getting the Maximum 4 gallon quiet air compressor for air brushing purposes as its on sale for $100 off. It's a bit large for airbrushing, but is pretty quiet(~60 dba), and cheap! Does any one have experience using this compressor for air brushing? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Special connections or hoses I may need?

I currently own an Iwata Revolution air brush, and a paasche D500 air compressor.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-4-gallon-quiet-air-compressor-0581292p.html#srp

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MrSquarepants posted:

I am thinking of getting the Maximum 4 gallon quiet air compressor for air brushing purposes as its on sale for $100 off. It's a bit large for airbrushing, but is pretty quiet(~60 dba), and cheap! Does any one have experience using this compressor for air brushing? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Special connections or hoses I may need?

I currently own an Iwata Revolution air brush, and a paasche D500 air compressor.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-4-gallon-quiet-air-compressor-0581292p.html#srp

Are you buying this so you can do double duty and run air tools in your garage? If not, why aren't you just buying an airbrush compressor? Even the most expensive Badger compressor is around $200 USD. I mean, unless you're a pro, doing airbrush work as your real job or you get tons of commissions, I don't see the need for a $400 compressor. It's literally a small motor that blows air into a tank. Some are louder than others. That's it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Alright, I bit the bullet on a Badger patriot airbrush, along with tank compressor and other equipment (hose, adapter, mask, cleaning supplies, etc.) Here goes nothing...

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Alright, I bit the bullet on a Badger patriot airbrush, along with tank compressor and other equipment (hose, adapter, mask, cleaning supplies, etc.) Here goes nothing...

Gonna use it on them Kastelans?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Gonna use it on them Kastelans?

heck yeah I am, after some practice

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid I used to spray paint in my basement. I'd blow my nose afterwards and have black snot.

My parents knew about this didn't seem to care. Now I'm more or less a functional adult. Lol.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
When I was a kid, the first time I used spray paint, I sprayed myself in the eye.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Booyah- posted:

I've spent the last 3 weeks with the 105 and you will be pleased. It deserves the hype it gets on here.

Squarepants that compressor is overkill but so is your AV so w/e.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Still working on details, but these guys are coming together!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Avenging Dentist posted:

When I was a kid, the first time I used spray paint, I sprayed myself in the eye.

I was putting a 40k Chimera track together back in the mid 90s and couldn't get the pegs in the holes so brought it up to eye level. When they went in it shot super glue into both eyes gluing them shut.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Other than the lung cancer I'm probably going to get in 20 years the worst I ever did was step on a howling Banshee while barefoot

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was modelling late at night using an xacto chisel. The chisel skipped directly into the meat of my thumb. It was a very deep cut and my blood started to squirt out immediately. I applied pressure and had barely made it to a sink when... I woke up on the cold floor with blood all over, a sore shoulder, and a headache.

Apparently I have a blood phobia. I had fainted and concussed myself. Everyone was asleep so nobody could help me. The scar has healed, but I lost some feeling in the tip of my thumb.

Miniatures are a dangerous hobby. Don't hobby alone.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

JEEVES420 posted:

I was putting a 40k Chimera track together back in the mid 90s and couldn't get the pegs in the holes so brought it up to eye level. When they went in it shot super glue into both eyes gluing them shut.

:stare:

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
Can anyone tell what is happening with the paint on this?
It's a Reaper Bones, I washed it with cold water and a toothbrush before painting it.
There's only two thin (??) layers on there from my wet palette.

This is the second Bones mini I'm painting though, is it just the material? Do I need to re-learn proper thinning for their material?

Also, not primed, I primed a few and they're all tacky now. Also, Reaper says you don't need to prime them (I believed that was a trap)

Farts fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 17, 2017

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Farts posted:

It's a Reaper Bones, I washed it with cold water and a toothbrush before painting it.

This is the second Bones mini I'm painting though, is it just the material? Do I need to re-learn proper thinning for their material?

Also, not primed, I primed a few and they're all tacky now. Also, Reaper says you don't need to prime them (I believed that was a trap)

Did you prime it with a spray can? Bones hate that poo poo, and it will cause all sorts of issues.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Bones Miniatures are slightly hydrophobic, and thinned paint will bead off. Do a couple layers the paint will start to react normalcy.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Bones Miniatures are slightly hydrophobic, and thinned paint will bead off. Do a couple layers the paint will start to react normalcy.

Would it be better if I switched to paint straight from the bottle? I like the reassurance.

OptimusWang posted:

Did you prime it with a spray can? Bones hate that poo poo, and it will cause all sorts of issues.

The ones that are sticky I primed with a spray can, the spider in the picture is not primed, just a cold water bath and brush.

Also, didn't realize all the mold lines until after I painted it, ugh.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One of my French Grenadiers actually stabbed me with his bayonet. Enough to draw blood

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Farts posted:

You have got to prime those bones with serious primer before you can paint them for poo poo. It is the material. You're thinning right but you gotta get it primed before you can paint thin layers on top.

I mean you really should prime even like a nice GW model or whatever but you REALLY gotta prime the bones.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Farts posted:

Bones has a layer of weird coating that seems to help paint bond better and not just mold release. I think thats why they say you don't need to prime, and why if you do they get tacky (I prime bones without Washing and they do fine, the tackiness is just unusual, not bad.) Washing that stuff off and not priming was like the worst of both worlds for getting paint to stick.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

Farts posted:

I pretty much strictly use Vallejo brush on surface primer with all my minis, including Bones, and have had no issues with it getting tacky or not sticking to the surface. I don't trust that 'don't need to prime' thing one bit.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I was modelling late at night using an xacto chisel. The chisel skipped directly into the meat of my thumb. It was a very deep cut and my blood started to squirt out immediately. I applied pressure and had barely made it to a sink when... I woke up on the cold floor with blood all over, a sore shoulder, and a headache.

Apparently I have a blood phobia. I had fainted and concussed myself. Everyone was asleep so nobody could help me. The scar has healed, but I lost some feeling in the tip of my thumb.

Miniatures are a dangerous hobby. Don't hobby alone.

I've done something similar to this but it was my middle finger. For some reason it skipped pass my mini and went through my knuckle meat. Didn't immediately bleed though so I just sat there for 2 minutes trying to figure out if what I did actually happened or if maybe I was okay. But then I chose to put the finger under water "to be safe" and that's when I found out how bad it was.

There was more hilarity involved (I was not blood phobic) but long story short I've got a nice big scar to remember it by and a respectable fear of x-acto blades.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Same, but it was a Chaos Predator. Good thing I was wearing contacts at the time.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Vermintide posted:

I pretty much strictly use Vallejo brush on surface primer with all my minis, including Bones, and have had no issues with it getting tacky or not sticking to the surface. I don't trust that 'don't need to prime' thing one bit.

Same here, vellejo brush on has always worked for me. I haven't tried spraying it on bones since I got an airbrush.

Also mold lines on bones are a real son of a bitch, I've mostly given up and just accepted that most bones are only suitable for tabletop play and not for display pieces.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

Thanks for the advice, I'll deal with sticky Bones for now when I prime them but I was able too get this guy "good enough"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BULBASAUR posted:

I was modelling late at night using an xacto chisel. The chisel skipped directly into the meat of my thumb.

A friend was pushing a chisel xacto into a mini directly at his thumb, perpendicular to his thumbnail. Another friend told him not and no sooner did he respond with "its fine", he shoved the blade directly into his thumb, splitting the nail. Instead of putting pressure on it he started to shake his hand wildly getting blood everywhere.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So, priming models: I have always sprayed black using aerosol cans. I know brush on primer is a thing, and it needs to be, because there are always nooks and crannies the spray doesn’t reach. I have always used black paint to brush over these bits. Is there some special brush on primer I should use? At one point I did have some GW black primer that’s supposed to be for this purpose, but it was diabolically bad. Literally worse coverage than yellow paint over black.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I use Vallejo paint on exclusively. People also say many good things about Badger Stynylrez.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What micro pens do folks like to use? Also has anyone found anything that would be good for edging silver? I'm tempted to try the oil-based micro silver pens that Sharpie sells but I'm wondering if there's any other option.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I use Vallejo paint on exclusively. People also say many good things about Badger Stynylrez.

I love the Badger stuff for undercoating. It's amazing.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What micro pens do folks like to use? Also has anyone found anything that would be good for edging silver? I'm tempted to try the oil-based micro silver pens that Sharpie sells but I'm wondering if there's any other option.

I love the Badger stuff for undercoating. It's amazing.

Pigma Micron pens are pretty great, and can get down to a .005 tip.

I'm not sure what you're going for with edging silver, but check Amazon for Molotow chrome ink pens. We've discussed them a few months ago in the thread; they're basically like painting with mercury. Scale modelers use them to create realistic chrome effects on classic car bumpers and trim.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Pigma Micron pens are pretty great, and can get down to a .005 tip.

I'm not sure what you're going for with edging silver, but check Amazon for Molotow chrome ink pens. We've discussed them a few months ago in the thread; they're basically like painting with mercury. Scale modelers use them to create realistic chrome effects on classic car bumpers and trim.

I'm looking for a faster, more consistent way to edge highlight my Primaris marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm looking for a faster, more consistent way to edge highlight my Primaris marines.

In that case, maybe look for a bright Vallejo silver, like one of their Metal Color line in the 17ml bottles. They're very smooth, with extremely tiny pigment grains and a nice bright finish for all the ones I've tried in that series. I like them better than their alcohol-based Liquid Metal line in terms of ease of use and cleanup.