Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, shouldn't the P-40 be pretty outdated, at least on paper, against what the Germans are fielding in late 1942?

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I have crap internet, so I can't play online. What's the skinny? Are P-40's supposedly over-modeled or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
P-40's mostly sucked at high altitude right cause of the lack of a 2 stage super charger? Probably %95 of the fighting you'll do in this game (online at least) happens below 2 km.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Remember how aside from a few armchair aces on the popular servers everyone and their grandmother including most goons wanted to low altitude turn fight in old IL2, despite turn fighting being overall way less effective than high altitude BnZ?

Apparently that's still a thing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

EvilJoven posted:

Remember how aside from a few armchair aces on the popular servers everyone and their grandmother including most goons wanted to low altitude turn fight in old IL2, despite turn fighting being overall way less effective than high altitude BnZ?

It wouldn't be IL-2 without a neverending conga line ten feet off the deck

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You know what might actually get me to strongly consider dusting off my sim gear? A game based off the new IL-2 engine in a fictional setting with actual fun stuff to do and less armchair aces that act like it's anything other than just a video game.

Who owns the rights to making Crimson Skies games? I think it's time for a sequel.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there fun single player stuff to do or is it mostly MP focused content?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Canned missions. That's it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I disagree. Due to my aforementioned lovely internet, I only play offline. Single missions, scripted missions, whatever. Those are there and they kinda suck. There is a pretty fantastic dynamic campaign generator out there though. Tracks your kills, your squad mates, other squadrons, etc, all in a big career mode. Super cool and what a dynamic campaign generator should be. Doesn't work with Kuban content yet, but it appears to be under active development and I'm willing to bet Kuban will be supported soon after launch.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Popete posted:

I don't have the P-40 but on the WoL server a bunch of German players where whining about the P-40 being easy mode (ironic considering the BF-109) and now I'm thinking I should probably buy it to maximize making e-Hartmanns mad.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, shouldn't the P-40 be pretty outdated, at least on paper, against what the Germans are fielding in late 1942?

it's easymode in terms of the :911: design philosophy of putting as many bullets as you can fit on this loving thing so your pilots can simply hold the trigger down until they walk the stream of fire over their target

but in terms of actual flying, especially in a combat situation under the clouds where you are constantly battling for position, the P40 should get absolutely clowned by a remotely competent German fighter. and that's what really matters imo, at least in a videogame where dying or crashing is just a half-minute timeout from playing again

on a server like WoL, the P40 feels like a slug when you could be in a La5 or MC202

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gewehr 43 posted:

I disagree. Due to my aforementioned lovely internet, I only play offline. Single missions, scripted missions, whatever. Those are there and they kinda suck. There is a pretty fantastic dynamic campaign generator out there though. Tracks your kills, your squad mates, other squadrons, etc, all in a big career mode. Super cool and what a dynamic campaign generator should be. Doesn't work with Kuban content yet, but it appears to be under active development and I'm willing to bet Kuban will be supported soon after launch.

Really? Last I heard the DCG for new IL2 was still WIP.

Link it. With the garbage weather for the next week I might actually try it. The temperatures are right at that level where they'll make being outside just suck. Needs to be 3c warmer or 3c colder.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

Really? Last I heard the DCG for new IL2 was still WIP.

Link it. With the garbage weather for the next week I might actually try it. The temperatures are right at that level where they'll make being outside just suck. Needs to be 3c warmer or 3c colder.

Gewehr 43 is probably refering to Pats Dyanamic Campaign Generator or something 3rd party. IL-2 devs are actively working on an official dynamic campaign for the game as well, not a lot of details yet but it'll probably be fairly similar to Rise of Flight.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

Gewehr 43 is probably refering to Pats Dyanamic Campaign Generator or something 3rd party. IL-2 devs are actively working on an official dynamic campaign for the game as well, not a lot of details yet but it'll probably be fairly similar to Rise of Flight.

I am indeed. It's not an official product, but it works just peachy and is a lot of fun.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right. Like I said. Link it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/99-pwcg-bos/

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

Because turn fighting is the classic view of dogfighting. And more fun. Boom and zoom is very effective but also consists of long periods of positioning which from a gameplay perspective is downtime. This is a result of actual WW II air combat not being as fun as it seems. So the abstraction of it, silly dogfighting at 10 feet from the ground, becomes a much more interesting prospect.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

EvilJoven posted:

the way you win maps is CAS so right now the russians are doming the germans in the multi campaign because the luft angels won't come down from on high to protect their bombers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My guess is that 109's try turn-fighting it, which won't work against it.

Also, once I upgrade my pc i'll be able to actually play this game again!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 14, 2017

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The link is blocked at work. Sorry. Was hoping a little google action would help you out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always ask for direct links to this sort of thing because when it comes to mods and third party tools and whatnot I'm just so used to there being a handful different versions and forks and stuff spread around multiple websites, some defunct some active. It's tiring when you download something and it breaks everything or you spend a bunch of time trying to get it to work and then hear that you got the wrong version thing from the wrong place.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else have this game hang every single time it loses focus for any reason (i.e. alt+tabbing)? I didn't know Derek Smart worked at 1c.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I have the p40 and engine management is a nightmare compared to the 109

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How automated were American planes in WW2? Where they like the Germans who tended to have a lot of the engine management automated or closer to the Russians where you have to do everything?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I'm sure I'll be corrected here but my understand is that American tech was fairly basic in most things compared to germany/brits who were the leaders in engine tech at the time. I think the us hit par quickly especially with the tech sharing agreement with england during the war. At least with the p40 everything is manual.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I always ask for direct links to this sort of thing because when it comes to mods and third party tools and whatnot I'm just so used to there being a handful different versions and forks and stuff spread around multiple websites, some defunct some active. It's tiring when you download something and it breaks everything or you spend a bunch of time trying to get it to work and then hear that you got the wrong version thing from the wrong place.

The nice thing about this is that it's more or less a standalone product. You have to enable mission logging in a BoS config file, then you just more or less run the campaign .exe, set up the campaign, and off you go. The generator just dumps new files into the single missions interface in the game every time you generate a mission. When you complete a mission, it parses the log, calculates losses/results, then builds a new mission after you select a few parameters (pilot assignment, route, etc) through the gui. Back out of the single mission interface, open it back up, and the file list is refreshed.

I get a few errors in the DCG GUI on some missions, but the DCG never crashes or shows any other ill signs because of them. All in all, it's a simple, immersive app that's pretty awesome for us single-player-only types.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Truga posted:

Does anyone else have this game hang every single time it loses focus for any reason (i.e. alt+tabbing)? I didn't know Derek Smart worked at 1c.

yeah I get problems with alt-tabbing as well

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Well hello.

The future has been announced and it's completely different than what was originally thought! No Pacific, but late-war Europe, WW1 and tanks

The next three parts will be:

1. Battle of Bodenplatte - late-war European front.

quote:

Planned to be Included in Battle of Bodenplatte:
Flyable Aircraft and Content:
- Bf-109 G-14
- Bf-109 K-4
- Fw-190 A-8
- Me-262
- P-51D
- P-47D
- Spitfire Mk. IX
- Tempest Mk. V
- Fw-190 D-9 (Collector)
- P-38L (Collector)
- B-25 (AI)
- European Low-Countries Map (Final size TBD) (Parts of the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany)
- Many Allied and Axis airfields, cities, towns and villages. Winter and Summer textures are planned.
- New Allied and Axis Ground Units and Scenery.

Flying Circus - this is basically ROF2 yes you read that right.

quote:

lyable Aircraft and Content (Tentative List):
- SPAD 13 C.1
- Sopwith Dolphin
- Sopwith Camel
- RAF S.E.5a
- Bristol Fighter
- Albatros D.Va
- Fokker Dr.1
- Fokker DVII
- Pfalz D.IIIa
- Halberstadt CL.II
- France map (100 x 100km Approx.)
- Several airfields, cities, towns and villages. Summer textures are planned
- No Man’s Land
- Entente and Central Powers Ground Units and Scenery.

3. And the third is tanks:

quote:

Playable Tanks and Content (Tentative List):
- T-34-76 STZ
- KV-1s
- M4A2
- SU-122
- SU-152
- ZIS-5 + 72K
- PzKpfw III Ausf.L
- PzKpfw IV Ausf.G
- PzKpfw V Ausf.D
- PzKpfw VI Ausf.H1
- Sd. Kfz. 184
- Sd. Kfz. 10 + Flak38
- Prokhorovka - Belgorod Map {100x100 km Approx.)

I'm not going through this in further detail yet. Read the big link.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

And in case you're like me and ready to commit seppuku because no Wildcats in 2018:

Jason Williams posted:

Everyone,

I have had to make the difficult choice to postpone, NOT CANCEL our plans to go to the Pacific theater. The reasons for this are many and have everything to do with the complexity of the subject (Ships, Japanese Aircraft) and the inability to marshal the required resources to develop this content up to the standards you expect and in a reasonable time frame and within a budget we could afford. I have not taken these steps lightly and for fans of the PTO, of which I am the biggest, this was not something I wanted to do. But the dream still lives!

What you see announced today is my plan to try to build, in a hopefully clever way, larger infrastructure so we can tackle the PTO in the future. Also, by rapidly expanding our content I hope to increase sales so we can afford proper solutions to building PTO content and doing the necessary research to build Japanese planes and ships to our current level of accuracy and fidelity.

I will explain more on this topic once the dust settles from this big announcement and I have caught up on my sleep. I will also address it in my next TeamSpeak chat session this weekend.

Please, please, please understand that there is no conspiracy here and we STILL INTEND to go to the PTO as soon as feasible. It has been my professional dream for 10 years. I won't give up on that dream.

Jason

The more I think about actually modelling carrier combat in Pacific the more sense this makes.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL at basically releasing RoF content again.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

LOL at basically releasing RoF content again.

Getting RoF to run on current BoX engine with VR support has been what RoF fans have been wanting since 2014. It has been a surprisingly big theme in the community.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Also :lol: @ 1C just basically declaring war on DCS with 190D-9, 109K-4, Spitfire Mk. IX and P-51D included in a campaign, with P-47 thrown in for a good measure. That's the current DCS WW2 modpack. i'm dying

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, that sounds fuckin rad. I’m down to do some WW1 VR shitflinging for sure. I’ve been holding off on floghtsimming while XPlane and IL2 get some updates, so I guess it’ll be a few more months.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wearing my hype face atm.

Bodenplatte is going to be German domination though :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Awwwww man, kinda bummed. I was really really looking forward to carrier ops and torpedoes.

Oh well, I can wait. I love how IL-2 has developed so far.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, is are these new IL2 modules compatible-package type things like the old one was, and DCS (kinda) is?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lol @ only one French plane in that Flying Circus lineup.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Carriers would have been amazing with the BOS flight model. But I understand the technical challenge. Even 1946 didn’t support moving ships in MP.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It does now!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Carriers would have been amazing with the BOS flight model. But I understand the technical challenge. Even 1946 didn’t support moving ships in MP.

False

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It's not cancelled its just delayed