Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Superman was featured in the early promo pictures of the heroes photoshopped together.

But he was mostly gone after that in posters, with exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Not sure if it's been talked about in this thread, but what are thoughts eBay's new advertising campaign?
I only have a link for one, the "Shop in Color" ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcl7oqKtvE

There's also one where it's christmas and people are saying, "Got you a gift from the same place as last time," or "Whoops, wouldn't ship in time"(Despite eBay products needing to be shipped as well...).

I feel they're trying to go after the more eclectic/antique items, but the way they're going about it is kind of weird?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The MSJ posted:

This is a really odd picture for a bag of chips.

lmao wtf is happening? are the peppers kidnapping the baby?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Postal Parcel posted:

Not sure if it's been talked about in this thread, but what are thoughts eBay's new advertising campaign?

Ebay’s continued business is in spite of, not because of, any moves the company itself makes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I need to turn in my nerd card because I don't get why Cyborg is there and not Martian Manhunter.

I would kill for a loving movie done like Batman The Animated Series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DC makes a bunch of animated Batman movies, some even voiced by Kevin Conroy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I need to turn in my nerd card because I don't get why Cyborg is there and not Martian Manhunter.

Cyborg's been a main member of the League in the comics for a while, I think.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

Martian Manhunter is green, not black.

Whatshisname at DC had to have his perfect Aryan Green Lantern, Hal Jordan.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Whatshisname at DC had to have his perfect Aryan Green Lantern, Hal Jordan.

Geoff Johns. And yes, Cyborg is pretty much a compromise for not having the more famous black Green Lantern John Stewart. Cyborg was probably chosen because the Teen Titan cartoons made him popular. Johns did later create a latina and an Arab Green lantern.

Johns is also the reason The Flash movie that was supposed to come out in 2018 to be delayed. He wants the movie to be based on his storyline Flashpoint, which was also made part of the TV series when he was running it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

DC makes a bunch of animated Batman movies, some even voiced by Kevin Conroy.

Pretty sure most of those suck. The "DC Universe Animated Original Movies " all seem to be darkedgegrit stuff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Geoff Johns. And yes, Cyborg is pretty much a compromise for not having the more famous black Green Lantern John Stewart. Cyborg was probably chosen because the Teen Titan cartoons made him popular. Johns did later create a latina and an Arab Green lantern.

Johns is also the reason The Flash movie that was supposed to come out in 2018 to be delayed. He wants the movie to be based on his storyline Flashpoint, which was also made part of the TV series when he was running it.

is he the dude who also okayed having the mc of the tv show gently caress his (adoptive) sister

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Given how bad the Green Lantern movie flopped, if they ever make a new one I hope it's about John Stewart and is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Pretty sure most of those suck. The "DC Universe Animated Original Movies " all seem to be darkedgegrit stuff.

One of the more recent ones, which focuses on Harley Quinn, is pure uncut Bruce Timm without any Paul Dini to dilute it, so it's just horny as fuckin' hell.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Nuebot posted:

Given how bad the Green Lantern movie flopped, if they ever make a new one I hope it's about John Stewart and is good.

I hope they would do it like the new Spider-Man, he just verbally say what his origin is so we can get right into the action. Which would be an adaptation of Mosaic, a series where a deranged Guardian (The boss of the Green Lanterns) steals a bunch of cities from various worlds and creates a new world from them. This causes issues, being that various beings are kidnapped and forced to be neighbours with literally alien (and sometimes hostile) beings. Unable to return them home, John Stewart is declared the Green Lantern of this new world and has to integrate these desperate societies while keeping the peace.

Done right, it would be a kinda cool and really intelligent exploration of both culture and inter-species relations, while also being a treatise on what it means to be heroic while also being the authority. Taking the same space as really considered yet effects heavy genre fiction, kinda like Blade Runner 2049.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

Chips so spicy CPS will take your kid.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

is he the dude who also okayed having the mc of the tv show gently caress his (adoptive) sister
Nothing will ever be as bad as this.

FYI, the girl is an 8-year-old alien who had a crush on Hal Jordan so she used her Green Lantern ring to age her up a decade and give her a miniskirt-and-cleavage outfit. Instead of getting weirded out by it, she and Hal started dating.

sweeperbravo posted:

Strangely enough it's a movie tie-in but I did not remember the movie being released at all in Malaysia. The woman is a well-known Malaysian actress.

More advertising news.
Amazon ad suffers backlash because it implies Santa does not exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVGjS_EJok

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Nov 14, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait are parents not telling kids some stuff is from them and some from Santa? Because when I was a child I distinctly remember that both brought me stuff.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

If your kid is old enough to watch and understand that commercial than surely they've already learned that Santa isn't real? Like, how old are kids getting before their parents stop lying to them nowadays?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Garrand posted:

If your kid is old enough to watch and understand that commercial than surely they've already learned that Santa isn't real? Like, how old are kids getting before their parents stop lying to them nowadays?

Its like what 6 or 7?

Probably younger because you can youtube “is santa real” and get an hour long video of Elsa and Spiderman with fidget spinners injecting mickey mouse with the color blue until the blue in him spells out “Sants isnt real”

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Wait are parents not telling kids some stuff is from them and some from Santa? Because when I was a child I distinctly remember that both brought me stuff.

My kids (4 and 2) get some presents from my wife and I, and nanna and pa, and then one big present "from Santa" which is generally something I stay up on Christmas Eve putting together.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Barudak posted:

Its like what 6 or 7?

Probably younger because you can youtube “is santa real” and get an hour long video of Elsa and Spiderman with fidget spinners injecting mickey mouse with the color blue until the blue in him spells out “Sants isnt real”

Like and subscribe to my channel kthx!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The MSJ posted:

FYI, the girl is an 8-year-old alien who had a crush on Hal Jordan so she used her Green Lantern ring to age her up a decade and give her a miniskirt-and-cleavage outfit. Instead of getting weirded out by it, she and Hal started dating.

1000-year-old vampire in a little girl's body before it was cool

e: wait it's the opposite of that

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Waffleman_ posted:

Reminder that George Miller was once working on a Justice League movie inspired by the DCAU cartoon.

This is “Del Toro was supposed to do a Haunted Mansion for Disney” levels of bummer.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My theory is Geoff Johns et al manchildren in charge of DC are in their 40s-50s and grew up with 70’s Superfriends which Cyborg was a part of but J’onn wasn’t, nor was J’onn a presence in the contemporary comics. I don’t think he became relevant again until the late 80’s when Giffen/DeMattis and Ostrander wrote some strong character/background stuff, then Waid and Morrison later on.

Nuebot posted:

John Stewart and Guy Gardner buddy cop film that totally subverts the expected Lethal Weapon tropes. Includes bar fight at Warriors.

What gets me is the Green Lantern cartoon was apparently doing well and included the multicolor lanterns and all but got cancelled anyway. There’s rumors of toy lines not selling well enough or too many girls/not enough boys being interested in the show, but no idea how true those are as related to marketing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

John Stewart and Guy Gardner buddy cop film that totally subverts the expected Lethal Weapon tropes. Includes bar fight at Warriors.

I didn't know that I wanted Shane Black to do a Green Lantern movie but I guess I do?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Garrand posted:

Do you mean lying to them about Santa, or just generally?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This is “Del Toro was supposed to do a Haunted Mansion for Disney” levels of bummer.

My theory is Geoff Johns et al manchildren in charge of DC are in their 40s-50s and grew up with 70’s Superfriends which Cyborg was a part of but J’onn wasn’t, nor was J’onn a presence in the contemporary comics. I don’t think he became relevant again until the late 80’s when Giffen/DeMattis and Ostrander wrote some strong character/background stuff, then Waid and Morrison later on.

What gets me is the Green Lantern cartoon was apparently doing well and included the multicolor lanterns and all but got cancelled anyway. There’s rumors of toy lines not selling well enough or too many girls/not enough boys being interested in the show, but no idea how true those are as related to marketing.

God I always forget the MM’s name is J’onn J’onzz. Of all the stupid names in comics that one might be the stupidest.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

God I always forget the MM’s name is J’onn J’onzz. Of all the stupid names in comics that one might be the stupidest.
Well, there's Roy G Bivolo, but J'ohn J'ones does always strike me as particularly dumb.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

The MSJ posted:

mmmm this is hosed up

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Tired Moritz posted:

mmmm this is hosed up

Yeah really. Who just says "chuckle" when something funny happens?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Postal Parcel posted:

There's also one where it's christmas and people are saying, "Got you a gift from the same place as last time," or "Whoops, wouldn't ship in time"(Despite eBay products needing to be shipped as well...).

I feel they're trying to go after the more eclectic/antique items, but the way they're going about it is kind of weird?

Yeah, that one strikes me as stupid, because they're obviously trying to slam Amazon with everything coming from a warehouse in beige boxes. But it flops because anything you get from eBay is also likely to come in a brown box. It's what's inside the box that matters, duh. Also, most hoo-mans do this crazy custom called "gift wrapping", they don't just shove an Amazon box into your hands.

And the "didn't ship on time" one is even weirder, because I'll trust Amazon or another big retailer to get me something on time before a random guy on eBay. The ads fails on multiple levels, for me at least.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Part of me enjoys that the stupid compare the market adverts have built an actual world around those loving stupid meerkats. The jokes are no longer based on the old market-sounds-like-meerkat gag but come from the thin characterisation that the meerkats now have, like the one in the robe being kind of an rear end in a top hat to his assistant Sergei but admittedly secretly preferring when he's around. It's weird, I kind of dig it in a stupid way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

Part of me enjoys that the stupid compare the market adverts have built an actual world around those loving stupid meerkats. The jokes are no longer based on the old market-sounds-like-meerkat gag but come from the thin characterisation that the meerkats now have, like the one in the robe being kind of an rear end in a top hat to his assistant Sergei but admittedly secretly preferring when he's around. It's weird, I kind of dig it in a stupid way.

Wait they're not in a relationship? I need to pay more attention

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

HopperUK posted:

Wait they're not in a relationship? I need to pay more attention

I don't pay enough attention to know whether they're actually a couple, but in an earlier advert Sergei was seen going to a movie with an attractive supermodel, so he's at least somewhat into girls. I did not expect to open a rabbit hole here though...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never forget Black Bolt, whose actual name is, I poo poo you not, "Blackagar Boltagon".

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Perestroika posted:

Never forget Black Bolt, whose actual name is, I poo poo you not, "Blackagar Boltagon".

Show me in the comics where he claims that

because he's mute

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Postal Parcel posted:

The one about giving a cheap off-brand tablet struck me as pretty on point but agreed on the rest.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Perestroika posted:

This one is great

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

anything you get from eBay is also likely to come in a brown box

Speak for yourself.

Most of the stuff I get comes in white envelopes or boxes of indeterminate colour that are completely covered in multiple layers of packing tape.

Now I sound like a drug dealer.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And the "didn't ship on time" one is even weirder, because I'll trust Amazon or another big retailer to get me something on time before a random guy on eBay. The ads fails on multiple levels, for me at least.

In my area, Amazon has started using their own delivery people even for ordinary deliveries (i.e. not Now or Same Day).

I know it’s a first‐world problem but the major companies all deliver earlier in the day than Amazon’s people.

Still, a consistent two days is something you’ll never get from eBay.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This is a gift to humanity. No matter how good the movie was, Disney would have shoved some actor into the Haunted Mansion three different places and ruined it forever.

gently caress Jack Sparrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They did make a Haunted Mansion movie, though.

It had Eddie Murphy and was very bad, which is why you don't remember it.