Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hahahahahahahahaha yeah I'm sure Box.net is much better

i'm not the loving cio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

didn't even realize offline was an option on windows, always seemed the sync was a rather core aspect of onenote

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yeah, they try to make you think that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im'a computa. stop usin microsoft products! help computa

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you mist a gigantic asterisk of competent development workforce behind them

Yeah, a lot of good people have been really pushing the web platform forward.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

Yeah, a lot of good people have been really pushing the web platform forward.

one simple trick remains, make them a statistically visible demographic.

along the way please spit in the coffee of microsoft person who made each website call 20 unique websites, it has been surprisingly effective against my adblock

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is there a way to disable the windows 10 fade-in for a locked computer so you can hit ctrl+alt+del and immediately enter your password instead of having to wait a few seconds

pram
Jun 10, 2001
doesn’t sound like an authentically digital experience imo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also why the gently caress doesn't the windows 10 rsat come with dnsmgmt.msc

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

is there a way to disable the windows 10 fade-in for a locked computer so you can hit ctrl+alt+del and immediately enter your password instead of having to wait a few seconds

and also not make the start menu open when you log in/unlock, as if to say hey just in case you forgot how to use the computer while you were in the john here's where all your programs live

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol whut? i don't think that's a thing since like w8.1

even then there was a toggle in the start menu settings that would turn it on or off

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Pinball Wizard posted:

and also not make the start menu open when you log in/unlock, as if to say hey just in case you forgot how to use the computer while you were in the john here's where all your programs live

actually it's probably so the advertisement tiles catch your attention frequently

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it's only ever done this for me the very first time i log in. i think also after feature releases.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

lol whut? i don't think that's a thing since like w8.1

even then there was a toggle in the start menu settings that would turn it on or off

ok where

anthonypants posted:

it's only ever done this for me the very first time i log in. i think also after feature releases.

it definitely happens anytime I wake my computer up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

ok where

it definitely happens anytime I wake my computer up

it was in w8.1 not windows 10 because windows 10 doesn't do that

maybe you shouldn't be using a pirated copy op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

if you sleep the computer using the button in the start menu it doesn't automatically dismiss the start menu, so the next time you wake and unlock it's still open

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol do you have the start screen enabled or some poo poo, because i don't know how else you'd enable this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol do you have the start screen enabled or some poo poo, because i don't know how else you'd enable this

i am going to take a video for your dense rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i posted my reply the same minute you did, i didn't see your post numbnuts

i know what you're talking about i've just never seen that happen because i use winkey+l to lock like any sane person

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lock doesn't enter s3 sleep last i checked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why would i need to do that manually? it sleeps on its own after a timeout, or if i close the lid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hold on while i janitor my power state

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can windows laptops sleep/wake properly when closed/opened yet? i rmember that was a huge pain in the rear end when i had one years ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my xps 13 does. shuts off the screen, sleeps, deep hibernates if i don't touch it for an hour or something

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pram posted:

im'a computa. stop usin microsoft products! help computa

idk much about computas other than the one my mom got she put a couple office suite apps on it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

hold on while i janitor my power state

lotta lids to close on this desktop

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why are you manually putting a desktop to sleep at all?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i really don't feel like another game of "infernal machines can't imagine any use cases outside his own narrow experience" sorry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well whatever, yeah i guess if you have a severe need to manage the power state of your desktop by hand there are situations where you will see the start menu after logging in. of course if you just locked it and walked away it would sleep on it's own in 15 minutes, but every kilowatt counts when you're posting from antarctica or whatever

congratulations on winning today's edge case jackpot

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 14, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

well whatever, yeah i guess if you have a severe need to manage the power state of your desktop by hand there are situations where you will see the start menu after logging in. of course if you just locked it and walked away it would sleep on it's own in 15 minutes, but every kilowatt counts when you're posting from antarctica or whatever

congratulations on winning today's edge case jackpot

so

loving

mad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

speaking of, anyone else having random office 365 installs deactivating themselves this month? it seems to be happening a lot this month

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my xps 13 does. shuts off the screen, sleeps, deep hibernates if i don't touch it for an hour or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of, anyone else having random office 365 installs deactivating themselves this month? it seems to be happening a lot this month

i wish we had any

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so g-suite, libreoffice (lol), or cracked kms installs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so g-suite, libreoffice (lol), or cracked kms installs?

g suite, although i wouldnt be surprised half of the things ran by non-mine departments is pirated

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

our employer is basically allergic to paying money directly to microsoft, despite all involved countries having official microsoft branches there, and so we have offline office licences and buying visual studio took 3 weeks and did cost 20% more than the standard price because they tried to cut corners on 10% via attempted open government licence purchase and then exec was like "ok lets just pay more im tired of this poo poo" when he got called with verification of our governmental licence suitability

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the most common poo poo i run into is some dipshit msp buying office 365 home premium subs and spreading them across multiple users

not necessarily small scale ones either

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

**g-suite is just our department. i think others are using some yandex clone that worked like poo poo last i checked earlier this year, but then again that would imply they do work in structured fashion and i havent wasted hours issuing document access permissions to "xXx_aNaL_dEsTrOyEr_xXx@gmail.com" because the rest of the org doesnt have gsuite

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the most common poo poo i run into is some dipshit msp buying office 365 home premium subs and spreading them across multiple users

not necessarily small scale ones either

we did get nice box of individual, physical business licences, since, as i said, we are really allergic to buying microsoft things like normal people would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. do you not share an email domain or do they have some abomination of a hybrid setup?