Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Female Tardigrade

Six titties for the price of one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Why wouldn't he leave sex admiral to the Klingons? She was about to tell the starfleet high command he's a nutjob and they should take his command away.
In any other Star Trek series the Captain would rescue her despite this and at the end the Admiral realise they were wrong to doubt our brave captain.
In DiscoTrek the only reason captain poo poo head would rescue the admiral is to go shoot her himself just to make sure she doesn't tell anyone he's a crazy man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

Also they get beamed into the center of the ship in a hallway. Why not just beam them straight into that empty aft cargo bay they plant the first one in anyway and save some time? Also what's up with security guy, he says he decided on the first day that he would gently caress to survive, so why are all his ptsd flashbacks of rotary saws and bloody knives when he has no scars and his torture was apparently more on the rapey side?

He's Voq and doesn't know it. He's remembering the surgical procedure to make him human.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its entirely possible that Lorca is T'Kuvma and that is the real reveal coming up in January.

Think about it, torchlighter -> guy with bad eyesight.

naem
May 29, 2011

Eastbound Spider posted:

i want to be an sex admiral

we all do

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
Remember how in early TNG the security officer made that reference to “rape gangs” on her home-planet and people still quote it because it was so tonally ill-judged?

I withdraw my previous claim that STD was getting better and starting to find its feet. What kind of maniac thought that not only was “klingon rape” a good idea, but that we should see it and that it would make a good dramatic/romantic climax?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Weird that both Orville and start truck had episodes with problematic depictions of rape the same week, this week of all weeks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Eastbound Spider posted:

i want to be an sex admiral

you can be one in Star Trek Online

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
The best deception of alien nudity is in Babylon 5 when Londo uses one his dicktacles to cheat at cards

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PostNouveau posted:

He's Voq and doesn't know it. He's remembering the surgical procedure to make him human.

They made this really, really apparent in the PTSD flashbacks that he had. The fact that she was banging him and he was willing is pretty much proof. Also his total lack of scars is the smoking gun, since I don't imagine the Klingons make sure to remove any scars when they're done their daily torture sessions. I'm hoping that there is another explanation. Their hints are so heavy-handed, that you'd think it must be redirection, but nah, he's a Klingon.

If he actually is a Klingon, then the most unbelievable part of all of this is that he can actually shoot at, and hit people. Unlike pretty much every other Klingon we've seen in STD.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Blistex posted:

They made this really, really apparent in the PTSD flashbacks that he had. The fact that she was banging him and he was willing is pretty much proof. Also his total lack of scars is the smoking gun, since I don't imagine the Klingons make sure to remove any scars when they're done their daily torture sessions. I'm hoping that there is another explanation. Their hints are so heavy-handed, that you'd think it must be redirection, but nah, he's a Klingon.

If he actually is a Klingon, then the most unbelievable part of all of this is that he can actually shoot at, and hit people. Unlike pretty much every other Klingon we've seen in STD.

didn't dude have a medical work up when he joined the ship? Starfleet is good at removing scars or Picard would have looked like Alex Murphy.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
waited thirty fuckin years for klingon titties and that's what i fucken get

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MrJacobs posted:

didn't dude have a medical work up when he joined the ship? Starfleet is good at removing scars or Picard would have looked like Alex Murphy.

Yeah, but he was scar-free in the prison cell when we first met him, too.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It could be interesting if "Tyler" is a made-up personality programmed by the Klingons (kind of like O'Brien's fake memories) and there was some sort of battle over whether to allow his consciousness or Voq's to survive in that body. Given he clearly has "real" memories, personality, and feelings, you could have a Tuvix-esque drama about whether the made-up "Tyler" is a real person.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah maybe voq is a one shot and is not intended to ever return to being a klingon

keep in mind i have never watched the new show past the first two episodes

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Blistex posted:

You've stumbled on how they are going to explain the Klingons looking different. Once they realize that surgically removing 30 pounds of bullshit from your face makes you a better warrior then they will all get in line for alterations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

What surgical function did they fulfill by smothering him with a plastic bag?

VictorianQueerLit posted:

You've stumbled on how they are going to explain the Klingons looking different. Once they realize that surgically removing 30 pounds of bullshit from your face makes you a better warrior then they will all get in line for alterations.

My greatest hope is that last jump was to a universe with better writers

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mondian posted:

If he was incompletely medicated he could have been having altered perceptions. The memory of not being able to breath (because they were changing his vocal cords or whatever) could be misremembered as suffocation due to a plastic bag. That's a stretch though, because if that was surgery it looks like the Klingons don't use any anaesthesia at all.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, but he was scar-free in the prison cell when we first met him, too.

I thought he was fully clothed in the cell so none of his supposed scars from his torture would have been apparent.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm gonna put this transmitter here. Somewhere where you won't find it. Unless you're not deaf and can hear the beeping down the corridor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe they should have gotten some engineers for their science vessel instead of just a smarmy mushroom researcher?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Mondian posted:

That gave me the brief notion that maybe Tyler was somehow brought back from the dead and what we saw was him being revived in a sort of body bag wrapping.

In reality, though, it's probably because they were throwing torture imagery at the wall and plastic bags are currently something we use to torture people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

It looked more like an embryonic sack to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

god its going to be so much dumber than it already is if tyler has an entirely fictional biography and is a fake person instead of just being a real person turned into a trojan targ

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, The Orville is a far better, more fun show. I care about the stupid, two dimensional characters because they are flawed and kinda stupid.I'm up to Episode 8 and I like it so far.

Also, no stupid Klingon Tits and if the Gooncensus is right about Tyler, gently caress this show and all involved.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It really felt like the "cliffhanger" was setting them up to be Voyager 2.0.

I expect him to badly mishandle the premise like the OG Voyager did, and double down on Grimdark, which BSG already did and did reasonably well for 2.5 seasons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG was great at the time but I have no desire to go back and watch it ever again

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tighclops posted:

BSG was great at the time but I have no desire to go back and watch it ever again

:agreed:

i especially don't want my star trucks doing a pastiche of it.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
The Tyler theory would explain the tribbles in the “after trek” episodes.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Gatekeeper posted:

waited thirty fuckin years for klingon titties and that's what i fucken get

We will always have the boob windows.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The General posted:

I'm gonna put this transmitter here. Somewhere where you won't find it. Unless you're not deaf and can hear the beeping down the corridor.

I started watching DS9 again for the first time since I was a kid after going "meh its not as good as..." having tried the new one a few weeks ago. There's an episode where Quark is on a ship with Odo for a week and him finding a bomb in the ship was moved along very well. In the scene Quark at length was getting cabin fever with his big ears because solid odo made a smacking sound when he took his soup. Everything was getting to him, every hum and hiss of the ship. It was really well done will odo mocking him and smacking louder and louder just to annoy him hoping Quark would crack and tell him secrets. I think it lasted a minute and was plausible.

Related but I can't believe how long it took them to develop jadsia dax into anything other than passive replier to comment. "I guess im hot but this other me woulda said to you sisko". I feel really bad for that actress, that show was tight other than that. Not surprised she left, they let her do almost no sub stories or when she did she was a backdrop in her own story. In her own this is what I do episodes she was a backdrop of dax is doing it too.

This one time she discovered the location of a man she had sworn in a previous life to kill. She left the bridge, knowing that she might never be allowed back, everyone knew she was off to join a massacre. Together with a group of old psychos she hunted them down and slaughtered like 30 people. Wasn't featured.

Then she found the klingon stick of truth. Was the meh person in the middle of a battle for the most amazing thing ever.

They just would not or could not write her in as person who says thing and other people react. DS9 without jadsia could be edited like garfield minus garfield except nobody would notice.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

People would notice when Bashir extended his arm holding the GO AWAY padd as if to hand it to someone, and simply released it to fall to the ground.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

wit posted:

They just would not or could not write her in as person who says thing and other people react. DS9 without jadsia could be edited like garfield minus garfield except nobody would notice.

Worf in a lonley Klingon wedding would be hilarious.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MrJacobs posted:

Worf in a lonley Klingon wedding would be hilarious.

With a subplot about Alexander being a wimp.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I decided to start rewatching DS9 today, I guess because I wanted to watch good Trek. Right from the start of The Emissary it's clear this will be very different from TNG. It's a far better pilot than Encounter at Farpoint (though that successfully set the tone for TNG). And it's beautiful watching The Sisko chew the scenery from the beginning too.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I've ever managed to watch all of farpoint

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it's fun in that it's distilled insane roddenberry

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Your Battle Buddy posted:

I don't think I've ever managed to watch all of farpoint

Groppler Zorn is a treasure. You fuckin' remedy that now. Right now.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Groppler Zorn is a treasure. You fuckin' remedy that now. Right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm late but I just saw some Klingon titties