Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
But you can totally grind for hundreds of hours in BF2 to unlock whatever. Despite the daily credit cap.

https://i.imgur.com/OyHkMOu.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

his title: Senior Producer (NarrativeContent) and Head of Global Video Production

They're bringing in video and marketing and they've no networking, design leads, back end, they don't even have someone doing UI full time

It's all about selling as much ships as they can to keep their lifestyle going, they're fighting to keep it going and its written into everything they do and everything they produce.

I can't see it lasting, a few months ago I thought it had years left in it but the funding stats are making me rethink that, and 3.0 looks utterly hosed as well.

E: I'd love to see their real staff numbers right now, I don't think we have a good guess on burn rate

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Is some form of 3.0 live yet? (And how compromised is it if it is?)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Rugganovich posted:

I know this was one of those autocorrect thingies, so instead of peer it says pear, but bloody hell I had a laugh picturing a pear to pear.

“Cloud Imperium’s Job Posting” posted:

“Design and develop new features for the Squadron 42 and the Persistent Universe, working closely with the Lead Designer and the Game Director to ensure Chris Roberts’ vision for Star Citizen becomes reality.”

In short, “we need a patsy. Stat.”

You will be the one we apportion heaping helpings of blame to in the not too distant future when the slo-mo implosion already well underway becomes obvious to the dumbos that fund us.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

They're bringing in video and marketing and they've no networking, design leads, back end, they don't even have someone doing UI full time

It's all about selling as much ships as they can to keep their lifestyle going, they're fighting to keep it going and its written into everything they do and everything they produce.

I can't see it lasting, a few months ago I thought it had years left in it but the funding stats are making me rethink that, and 3.0 looks utterly hosed as well.

E: I'd love to see their real staff numbers right now, I don't think we have a good guess on burn rate

I'm leaning toward the theory that CR is indeed building his VFX studio from the ashes of CIG when it collapses (2 weeks).

Everything we've seen so far, from the actual game development aspect has always been about visual effects. Most gamedev updates are wrapped around game features or mechanics, or how something tough (though visually or through player experience would seem inconsequential) was implemented into the game.

We get videos of endless crunching (to what end) and non deliveries of the product (S42, Oldman Speech, Old-Man "Fire her up" - ironically players start up their own ships, why should Luke's starship be any different) and 3.0 is literally one year late. In ATV there is absolutely zero talk about how they are developing the game engine, and how things are handled server side, which are the meat and potatoes of any development.

:reddit: says that there is a game, we say there isn't, a classic case of schrodinger's cat.

Also, reddit is wrong.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

no_recall posted:

I'm leaning toward the theory that CR is indeed building his VFX studio from the ashes of CIG when it collapses (2 weeks).

Everything we've seen so far, from the actual game development aspect has always been about visual effects. Most gamedev updates are wrapped around game features or mechanics, or how something tough (though visually or through player experience would seem inconsequential) was implemented into the game.

We get videos of endless crunching (to what end) and non deliveries of the product (S42, Oldman Speech, Old-Man "Fire her up" - ironically players start up their own ships, why should Luke's starship be any different) and 3.0 is literally one year late. In ATV there is absolutely zero talk about how they are developing the game engine, and how things are handled server side, which are the meat and potatoes of any development.

:reddit: says that there is a game, we say there isn't, a classic case of schrodinger's cat.

Also, reddit is wrong.

So Digital Anvil 2.0. Wasn't one of the reasons Freelancer got so delayed was he used Digital Anvil to do the VFX work for the Wing Commander movie?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

They still have two big sales this year and this is the period they pull in most of their money. At the very least it would be early next year before anything could happen.

The issue will be if the revenue continues to be 30%-40% down compared to last year. Once you hit the new year and have no big sales until gamescom 2018 you lose the ability to hold out for regularly scheduled cash injections. If their financial state is bad enough at that point you'd start seeing things happen.

It depends on the time of 3.0s release and the reception at this point. I have to say I'm skeptical of this finally being the end since whales have proven they will shock all of us with unbelievable amounts of funding for literally nothing. So getting out even a broken 3.0 at the right time could be huge for CIG and kick the can again.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

:drat: :laugh:

OK gorf, you can stop now. The bride has started tsk tsking when she hears me randomly laughing.
I will now always see pear to pear review.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Look guys! A new subreddit to talk about Christ Roberts and Star Citizen!

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

The Cheetah 125+ for the ZX Spectrum was the greatest joystick I ever owned back in the day. Wish I'd held on to it.

Quickshot II Turbo was my favourite. I liked the clicky. Had a Kempston interface to plug it in ;)

ahmini
May 5, 2009

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I'm sure they'll countenance discussion of the CRobbler as a failed game dev and totally won't ban anyone saying such a thing on sight.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Gravity_Storm posted:

Quickshot II Turbo was my favourite. I liked the clicky. Had a Kempston interface to plug it in ;)

Quickshots lasted about 2 hours on Daley Thompson's Decathlon. The best joystick was the Kempston Competition Pro. :colbert:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I wonder who's alt account this is.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak posted:

I wonder who's alt account this is.

Hi Seraph, is that you?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizendrama/

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Mirificus x Dementropy, I'm sorry but no holidays with your families for you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

star citizen: a drama

featuring derek smart

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Derek right now, probably

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

But you should still doxx your parents because they tane you very much.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

alf_pogs posted:

star citizen: a drama

featuring derek smart
chris roberts
sandi gardner

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"I can't cope with a day free of speculation about the activities and state of Derek Smart's genitals, therefore I have made a new place to discuss the topic." - Average perfectly sane and normal Star Citizen fan on Reddit

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I think having yet another sub reddit that contains links to Derek's July blog and his other sagas is frankly good for Star Citizen.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

just call it r/dereksmartsgenitals and be done with it. redchris18 and taka should be the mods

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

the good thing about all the new DS communities is that we have our people in all of them

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Let me explain by giving you examples of how BF2 is doing lootboxes versus Blizzard games Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm

BF2
60 dollar game with paid DLC
Lootboxes cost real money, are earned slowly, and give clear essential advantages in the actual game
The advantages are hard to obtain through normal play. Darth Vader takes like 40 hours of play or some poo poo.

Overwatch
60 dollar game
All new maps, gamemodes, and characters are free forever if you own the game.
Lootboxes are 100% cosmetic and earned at an okayish to poor pace (matter of opinion) in game.

Heroes of the Storm
Game is free
All new maps and gamemodes are free
New and existing heroes can be bought with real money but are very easy to earn normally through playing the game. Earning enough in game currency to buy a legendary hero only takes a couple weeks. Legendary heroes are not any better than lesser rarities. You start the game with a bunch of free heros and they have several heros unlocked for everyone every week. I own about 50 of the 70ish heroes and I've only played for 6ish months.
The game shits lootboxes at you but you can buy them. Lootboxes are 99% cosmetic. There is a small chance for a lootbox to contain a hero. However thats not how they are normally earned and hero prices are not balanced around this. Its more of a cool bonus.

Thats how you do lootboxes and make money without skullfucking the customer.

The standard edition of Overwatch on PC is just $40-ish, is it not? The $60 version just has some loot boxes, skins and a bunch of things for other Blizzard games included. Makes the comparison even worse for EA

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

They won't do this if pushed on it, they will offer to put gifted ships into a new account if closing your account and value is over what you paid (credit on account > spent).

They have refused to refund gifted ships but seem to have stopped doing that recently, they'd give in on that too if pushed (as long as total you've spent is equal to or more than the refund amount). In the past they've also returned gifted ships to the original owner. You can even get subscriptions refunded if you play hardball.

Basically they lie to people about what they have the right to do as the only time they'll get in trouble is if someone takes them to court or complains to someone with the power to investigate.

Imagine being a new customer service employee learning how to deny refunds. Imagine the leadership meeting entitled "How to Deal with Refunds" with two items on the agenda: "What are the legal requirements?" and "How can we get around them?"

It's basically "Boiler Room."

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bofast posted:

The standard edition of Overwatch on PC is just $40-ish, is it not? The $60 version just has some loot boxes, skins and a bunch of things for other Blizzard games included. Makes the comparison even worse for EA

Ah didnt remember that. I bought overwatch years ago when it released. It was 60 bucks then but yea its a hell of a deal in that case.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I hope I don't ever buy a game from that Rhris Croberts guy, he doesn't seem to a good project leader!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rugganovich posted:

I know this was one of those autocorrect thingies, so instead of peer it says pear, but bloody hell I had a laugh picturing a pear to pear.

If you think about it, a pear-to-pear network is really just an ordinary pear tree :shrug:

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Should mention that the failed dev actively lied to the publisher about how much money and time was needed. Lied about the progress. And when it couldnt be put off any longer asked microsoft for another three years and 40 million (double the initial estimate from the failed gamedev) or they would get nothing.

Really shady stuff

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

hey look its another person from the crobbers crew circa ascendant

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-schimmel-4ba9a740/

lol

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1125005/

he really is getting all his old buds rich as gently caress offa this

Schimmel has a proven talent for reinforcing Chris’s delusory sense of superiority to all any and all possible competitors and as such is indispensable.

Sometimes it seems like that is the LA office’s primary purpose, manning and fortifying the defensive perimeter around Chris’s precious and vulnerable ego. Whether it’s John Schimmel declaring the obvious superiority of the game they hadn’t even started building yet, or Ben Lesnick treating Wing Commander arcana he discovers on eBay like it was another Dead Sea Scrolls discovery at Qumran, or Josh Herman telling those snotty Foundry punks Amir Boparai & Ricky Jutley that “CR was not joking about the worm” (so you sure as hell better stop doing that), CIG LA is definitely keeping Chris awash in the luxuriating delusions to which he’s become accustomed.

Lol.

"A totally legit new Glassdoor review posted:

Nov 12, 2017
"Good company"

5 STARS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time

Pros
Good salary
Good people
Good management
Good interview

Cons
No cons

Management can help juniors
Better timing

Advice to Management
Nothing

“No cons.” Uh-huh.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 14, 2017

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I hope I don't ever buy a game from that Rhris Croberts guy, he doesn't seem to a good project leader!

Whatever happened to him, anyway?

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its insane that they put in job adverts "making chriss vision". It sounds cultynand the fact it needs to be said is a giant red flag. Unless you are signing up to fully design a game it should just be understood you do what the boss says.

It means the person they fired wasnt enough of a brownnoser or its a pissed off game director writing that ad sick of chris's poo poo.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

The Kins posted:

Insert thinking emoji here.
Chris Roberts said last year that the current ship prices are a bargain.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Whatever happened to him, anyway?

I think he got run out of hollywood and died, but that last part may have been greatly exaggerated

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sandi probably read the parody Demotivation posters and thought they were legit and then prescribed them as doctrine.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think he got run out of hollywood and died, but that last part may have been greatly exaggerated wishful thinking

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/930441319696257025

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!