Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

StashAugustine posted:

30YW would be weird because there's lots of little things the engine would need- mixed units being the most obvious but melee pistol cavalry and salvo infantry would be nice

This is why I hope they can go back with the Fall Of The Samurai build of Shogun 2.

I really really hope they didn't lose the code for that one. It could do quite a few contained smaller scale conflicts and era well. Lets hope this Rome 2 DLC sells well enough for them to consider supporting their older games if they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oh, if they sometime end up doing the 30YW then I sincerly hope they base the loading screens off Les Grandes Misères de la guerre

e: forgot the last three

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 13, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Announcement tomorrow, tagline being “Kings will rise”.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I'm sad they're not gonna do a pike and shot game. There's a couple hundred years between Medieval and Empire and they just ignore it. Pike and Shot was a fun game and it would be cool to see battles like that fully animated in the ridiculous, cinematic Total War style. You would have more variety in units than in Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2. You would start the campaign with medieval units and end with modern, pure gunpowder armies, with the whole array of different mixed pike units in between.

I'm sure it will never happen though because there won't be enough interest with American audiences.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Them not doing it now doesn't mean they'll never do it. While they've skipped those couple of centuries of European history for now, they've also literally never done a China game at all.

also nothing's confirmed yet, who knows. maybe the next major release is gonna be 30 years war after all. It's not like the hints don't fit for that, even if things seem to be pointing towards China.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BigglesSWE posted:

Taiping Rebellion!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's Ireland and England. The terrain in the shot is the area around Dundalk, Ireland. The trade ship/route is going to the Isle of Man and you can see the coast of Scotland in the background.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
So it's gotta be an actual Viking 860s era thing, right?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Kenzie posted:

I'm sad they're not gonna do a pike and shot game. There's a couple hundred years between Medieval and Empire and they just ignore it. Pike and Shot was a fun game and it would be cool to see battles like that fully animated in the ridiculous, cinematic Total War style. You would have more variety in units than in Empire, Napoleon, and Shogun 2. You would start the campaign with medieval units and end with modern, pure gunpowder armies, with the whole array of different mixed pike units in between.

I'm sure it will never happen though because there won't be enough interest with American audiences.

It's the Saga game and the full one they haven't fully confirmed yet, I thought? There's still hope yet for flamboyant colors and hats all around

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Generation Internet posted:

So it's gotta be an actual Viking 860s era thing, right?

Rise of Alfred the Great.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I know China has been rumored for quite a while, but what is the basis for these rumors? Like, is there anything substantial that points in that direction that I’ve missed?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BigglesSWE posted:

I know China has been rumored for quite a while, but what is the basis for these rumors? Like, is there anything substantial that points in that direction that I’ve missed?

It would be cool to have a Qing conquest game, I believe that is the base of all rumors. It would have a good variety of units and factions while being set in a location and era that the franchise hasn't delved into before, while also taking place during an absolutely massive war.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 13, 2017

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BigglesSWE posted:

Great Heathen Army would be sweet (and is probably the most likely) but I'd kill for a low-fantasy King Arthur game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Great Heathen Army would be sweet (and is probably the most likely) but I'd kill for a low-fantasy King Arthur game.

Heck, I'd like CA to just do the King Arthur series of games but actually good.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

BigglesSWE posted:

The only basis is that the next big game is a brand new setting and CA still has no interest in going WWI or newer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BigglesSWE posted:

There's no basis for it beyond 'well it'd be neat and probably profitable in China'

CA has never ever shown an inclination to make a 3 Kingdoms game

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Billzasilver posted:

The only basis is that the next big game is a brand new setting and CA still has no interest in going WWI or newer.

Is it the geographical setting or the time setting that is new? Have they made a distinction?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Nope!

We're all just optimistic that they mean really really new.

Which is fair, CA is probably savvy enough to know that "empire but starting 100 years earlier" would be a little too samey.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

BigglesSWE posted:

Mostly that it's the gaping hole of the franchise and they've been emphasizing for a while that the next game is something new. They have dropped hints like "exotic weapon animations" and "colorful characters" too that point to it a bit, but you're right that it's still basically just rumors.

edit: here we go, found the posts:

quote:

Our next major historical release is now in full production with the game design locked and asset creation fully underway. The game retains the same strong focus on character design that infused previous major releases, with the key personalities of the period in particular being an early priority for us now; as such there are some vibrant and striking renders plastered around the studio, with eye-catching combat animations garnering some serious attention too.
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/192834/what-the-teams-are-working-on-17-03-2017

quote:

Development on the next major historical release continues apace, with the team focusing on some fantastic UI and environmental work recently to capture the mood of this unique setting, that we’ve yet to explore in any previous Total War game.
Other areas that are progressing nicely are the important character relations that occur between the major personalities in the game. Now the designers can start modelling the various interactions and gameplay impacts the proposed features will have. Elsewhere, the campaign map is starting to come together in some new and visually exciting ways. Obviously, it will help set the tone and immersion for the whole game, and the artists have done an incredible job in realising the style we’re going for.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 13, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Take the Warlord Chronicles approach by Bernard Cornwell.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame is better than any TW.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Taiping Rebellion!

For those who don't know, 王 (wáng) is the Chinese equivalent of king, and Hong Xiuquan, the Taiping leader was a fan of handing that title out to his generals. So that time period really would see a lot of Wangs rise!

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

The first KA, I'll agree with you. The expansions to it were very much phoned-in, and the sequel only dodged being completely unplayable by a nanometer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ammanas posted:

There's no basis for it beyond 'well it'd be neat and probably profitable in China'

CA has never ever shown an inclination to make a 3 Kingdoms game

There's a lot more to Chinese history that they could do than just the three kingdoms. Like, if I could pick any historical period for the next Total War game it would probably be the 17th-19th century China covering the Qing conquest of the Ming dynasty. You have swords, spears, cavalry, archers, flintlocks and cannons on top of a ton of different cultures and states being involved in regional conflicts around the same time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GrossMurpel posted:

Better campaign game, but the battle engine was eh.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Not really, but it's a popular request and they probably wouldn't mind that sweet Chinese market money.

StashAugustine posted:

People were talking about how Warhammer spoiled them for historical games: it's funny because the only other TW i really go back to a lot is Shogun 2, which has like a dozen units. I think there's two things at play here. First, historical TW games have been bad at relaying information to the player. I was just replaying Attila, and it's difficult to figure out how, say, Himyarite axemen stack up against Sassanid infantry repeated across every faction in the game. Warhammer has some of this, and maybe it's just that (even as someone who has in interest in history) I'm more familiar with Warhammer's tropes, but it's easier IMO to get a feel for how factions play in Warhammer. Warhammer also IMO does a better job of differentiating units- even pretty much direct upgrades like empire swords to greatswords have some disadvantages (ie lack of shields). For an extreme example, Wood Elves have t1 infantry that's either average spearmen with good AP so they trade well against high-tier units or tanky fear-causing dryads that don't kill much; t2 infantry that's fast and deadly but somewhat fragile and lacks AP in sword or spear flavors; and t3 infantry that's even more fragile but has AP and anti-large. There's not just a strict progression of better vs rarer and more expensive. In both cases, Warhammer does a better job with its rosters that the historicals do (except S2), but which could be copied and spice up the historicals without having to give Wallenstein dragons

I super agree with you about units in games like Attila and I can see lack of diversity in S2 as a positive. Battles in Shogun 2 often involved both armies bringing a similar roster of units. Without arbitrary tiers of units like in Attila, the battles mostly come down to things like tactical decisions and utilizing unique faction bonuses/units.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 14, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fu0UPnk4kc

Vikings as widely predicted. Alfred the Great era.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/712100/Total_War_Saga_Thrones_of_Britannia/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Apparently the campaign continues until the Norman invasion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wont' there be like only 4 different types of units?

vikings
englishmen with bows
englishmen with shields
enblishmen with horses

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

vikings
englishmen with bows
englishmen with shields
enblishmen with horses

Vikings had bows. And you've got swords, axes, swords with shields, and axes with shields. Riveting.

Honestly I'm struggling to imagine a worst time period that you could actually get an average person on the street to maybe recognize. Hell, the only reason I can think of anyone outside of Britain knowing or caring anything about this time period is if they're so into Arthurian Legend that we currently believe the stories may have originated around here despite the fact that they've been so conscripted and altered by everyone else that the potential origins here are essentially meaningless. The only benefit to this time period and location is for once the Total War unit count stats might actually be somewhat realistic. Otherwise we know very little about the time period and it's only historical significant is to setup the conditions by which the French could easily come in and conquer the bulk of the island in one battle.

Even from a Viking perspective it would have been so much better in Europe if CA would just open the rivers up. Lots of crazy went on down there with Viking's sailing through every major waterway and raiding like crazy, with people trying to stop them by fortifying bridges or setting up traps, with plenty of room for interesting conflict where the Vikings have enough strength to keep local garrisons cowed but not enough to deal with a collected mass so you've got balance looting with surviving. Britain was more of a traditional let's land and conquer setup.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's a pretty popular show about the Vikings in England right now. That probably has something to do with it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

vikings
englishmen with bows
englishmen with shields
enblishmen with horses

If you take into account the Gaels and Britons as well as the Angles there's some decent variety in like, skirmisher types and light cavalry and so on. It'll be no Warhammer in terms of unit variety but I hope they do a decently varied roster without too many duplicates in each faction (something Attila and Rome 2 are bad at, with all the multiples of Levy Freemen and Celtic Tribesmen and so on and so forth).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vikings and The Last Kingdom are both about that era, right?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StashAugustine posted:

Yes. So it is a pretty good setting to get the average (western) person in the street to recognize.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

Vikings precedes Last Kingdom by about a generation I believe.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This would be a cool CK2 mod.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

turn off the TV posted:

This would be a cool CK2 mod.

It's already there in the Old Gods start.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You think they’ll take another shot at naval combat?

Vikings seem ideal for that since it’s gonna be a whole lot of boats.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Funky Valentine posted:

It's already there in the Old Gods start.

Sure, but there's always a level of abstraction going on in CK2. A mod that has the amount of detail that game has for all of Europe, but condensed to a smaller area, is more of what I was thinking. That would be really neat in CK, but god knows how well it's going to work in a Total War game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vikings precedes Last Kingdom by about a generation I believe.

Yeah. Vikings is "here come the Danes" starting in late 8th century and The Last Kingdom is "get these Danes out of here" in 872.