Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
i dont even use sfo2 because i just dont feel like it but rest assured that subscribing to the nazi mod gives them power like goku and the spirit ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rookersh posted:

The more important reason not to use SFO is it's not a good mod. I've tried it twice now and I have no idea why/how people recommend it.

This was my opinion before I realised the ringleader of the project was a literal Nazi who was profiting off the mod via donations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Xae posted:

It is asinine that NPC armies can leave cities under siege by embarking.

You can do it with your armies too, you know. It can be pretty useful when you have a lot of port towns and Tyrion decides that he's going to kill everything.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xae posted:

It is asinine that NPC armies can leave cities under siege by embarking.
I kinda like it, actually. You can too. But its also snippets like that that make port cities unique (I think it takes a lot fewer movement points to embark/disembark through a port) that also make it frustrating that they don't let you stay embarked after you sack/raze a coastal city or let Black Arks sack/raze coastal cities (ideally for +growth since in ME, you can't boost your Ark's growth with ritual bonuses) They clearly have provisions for ports having special rules and both of those would make raiding a lot less finicky. Hell, make it a feature of Norsca and Dark Elves that they can launch those amphibious attacks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Malekith please leave me alone so I can start the final ritual. I've killed you and your army like 4 times now, and probably twice that killing your mom and her armies. It's silly how fast DE can rebuild armies on I think Very Hard.

The worst is I can't autoresolve most of these battles, even though I can easily win most of them by more or less selecting all my dinosaurs and right clicking on the DE army's center mass.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sassassin posted:

This was my opinion before I realised the ringleader of the project was a literal Nazi who was profiting off the mod via donations.

If only you could subscribe to video game mods for free

Ah well

*genocides south america in video game but it’s ok bc its inhabitants are monstrous subhumans*

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
e: ^ canonically I'd say they're superhuman, since the old ones made them better at fighting chaos than everyone except the Ogres

Away all Goats posted:

Malekith please leave me alone so I can start the final ritual. I've killed you and your army like 4 times now, and probably twice that killing your mom and her armies. It's silly how fast DE can rebuild armies on I think Very Hard.

The worst is I can't autoresolve most of these battles, even though I can easily win most of them by more or less selecting all my dinosaurs and right clicking on the DE army's center mass.

When I played High Elves in the vortex campaign I found it easier to build up to a comfortable point, then raze the rest of the world. No need to worry about anyone desparately attacking me when every other population center in existence is a smoking ruin. :smug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Land of Mists (Yvresse Province Overhaul)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1200904976

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fu0UPnk4kc

quote:

The year is 878 AD, the embattled English king Alfred the Great has mounted a heroic defence at the battle of Edington, and blunted the Viking invasion. Chastened – but not yet broken – the Norse warlords have settled across Britain. For the first time in nearly 80 years, the land is in a fragile state of peace.

Throughout this sceptred isle, the kings of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales sense a time of change approaching; a time of opportunity. There will be treaties. There will be war. There will be turns of fortune that become the stuff of legend, in a saga that charts the ascent of one of history’s greatest nations.

Kings will rise. One will rule.

quote:

Is this the next historical Total War game?

Thrones of Britannia is historical and is next to be released, but it’s a Total War Saga game. The next era-spanning historical Total War game is being worked on by a separate team and is yet to be announced.

More details on our historical releases here:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases

What is A Total War Saga?

Total War Sagas offer the same additive mix of turn-based campaign strategy, real-time battle tactics with hundreds if not thousands of hours of gameplay as a regular Total War game, just focussed down on a distinct moment.

They will be concentrated games which will put you right in the middle of a dynamic point in history, where the outcome could have gone in a huge number of different directions. Such moments also tend to be constrained to a tight geographic area as well.

Sagas won’t introduce brand-new eras; they’ll follow-on from previous Total War games and inhabit the same time-period, or at the very least relate to it.

Fall of the Samurai is exactly the kind of thing we’re talking about here. It was a standalone spin-off from Total War: SHOGUN 2, focussed on the pivotal event of the Boshin War.

Is it like a Campaign Pack? Will I need to own another game to play it?

No, Thrones of Britannia is a standalone game, you don’t need to own any other game to play it. Also, you can expect much more new content and new gameplay than comes with a Campaign Pack. The game will be based around a rich new setting (the British Isles of 878AD, just after invasion by The Great Heathen Army) with ten new playable factions, new mechanics and a new, highly-detailed map. Some elements will be brought across from Total War: ATTILA since they still fit the time period but Thrones of Britannia will have its own unique look and feel. Again, in terms of scale, Fall of the Samurai is a useful yardstick.

What is the date range of the game?

It starts in 878 AD, and like other Total War games it’s over once you win! There is no set end-date, though the content in the game covers up to around 1066.

What geographical area will it cover?

The map is the whole of the British Isles, we’ve gone for such a focused map to allow for us to put a lot of detail into it.

What are the playable factions?

We’ll be confirming all ten of the playable factions over the coming months but for now we can tell you that you’ll be able to play as Anglo-Saxons, Viking settlers and certain Gaelic clans.

What are the key features?

The game will offer a super-detailed campaign map, with more regional distinction. You can also enjoy new, unique faction and culture mechanics with deep narratives and character development, and we’ve worked hard to introduce all sorts of tweaks to various campaign systems to enable the player to make more powerful and impactful choices. These are things we’ve already announced, though more key features will be announced soon!

What engine is it built from?

It will be based off the Total War: ATTILA codebase, though not without some changes so we can make the game run as smoothly as possible.

When will it be released?

It will be some time in 2018 but we’re not ready to announce a release date just yet.

Will it be available on Mac/Linux?

We only have a release on Windows in our current plan.

Will it be available as a physical product or is it digital only?

A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia will be available as a digital download and there will also be a physical boxed product available in some territories from selected retailers.

How much will it cost?

Details on the price will be confirmed by retailers a little closer to release.

What is the min. & recommended specs?

Again, it’s a little early to confirm but if you follow us you’ll be the first to know.

Is it available for pre-order?

It will be in due course. You can add it now to your Steam Wishlist to be notified when it’s available.

When will we see gameplay?

Soon™

Springtime 2018 is when you’re likely to see gameplay.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 14, 2017

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

odd that the steam page is nothing but the concept art, unless thats what it will actually look like (something i highly doubt)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Davincie posted:

odd that the steam page is nothing but the concept art, unless thats what it will actually look like (something i highly doubt)

it won't be out till spring next year, so i doubt they have too much to show right now

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Hopefully there will be some serious performance improvements over attila. That game runs so much worse for me than Warhammer.

genericnick posted:

He is also the only flying caster Lord and his "downside" is that he levels the home armies.

Morathi can fly and is cool, good and my friend.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It's based off the Attila engine too, so shouldn't look too dissimilar. Attila still looks great and if they move to 64-bits it should run better too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, Attila wasn't on 64-bit? gently caress, that'd explain a lot.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
As a guy from Winchester (it has a statue of King Alfred in it, and was the capital during his time), I am totally stoked that now I have a game where I can go "I have connections to this historical figure and therefore they are the best".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
not particularly exciting but I'll definitely still play it

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Sounds really dope and i can't wait, HOWEVER

quote:

It will be based off the Total War: ATTILA codebase, though not without some changes so we can make the game run as smoothly as possible.

Are the warhammer games based of the "attila codebase"? Cause if so, yay, they run pretty well. But Rome 2 not so much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The warhammer codebase still references the shogunate.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Kainser posted:

Morathi can fly and is cool, good and my friend.

Iirc a lot of the melee/caster hybrid lords get to fly, Manny, azhag and maybe archaon all get dragon(ish) mounts.

So does Durthu not have the same tree kin buff skills as every other tree Lord or did I somehow hide them with a mod? I didn't realise how good those things are at not dying for way too long.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

The more important reason not to use SFO is it's not a good mod. I've tried it twice now and I have no idea why/how people recommend it.

When did you try it? It used to be a better mod when it was just an amateur project by Steel Faith. Once it became a team with thousands a month in patron income, it went downhill. The new guys arent as good and it succumbed to change for the sake of change.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SickZip posted:

When did you try it? It used to be a better mod when it was just an amateur project by Steel Faith. Once it became a team with thousands a month in patron income, it went downhill. The new guys arent as good and it succumbed to change for the sake of change.

Twice in WH1. Once around the time the Beastmen/Wood Elves came out, and a second time right after the Foundation Update.

It just changed too much for the sake of change even when I started using it. The new lord skills were wildly overpowered. Units got baffling changes that made them either gods ( Hammerers being able to solo entire armies. Bats somehow being able to beat units like Greatswords in 1:1 combat which was completely nonsensical ) or completely useless in basically every way. It took dynamics that worked well and changed them up in favor of more "loreful" ideas that ended up lacking any real sort of dynamic choice.

The only reason I liked the mod at all was because of the enhanced magic, the better garrisons, and the smarter AI. But then people went and made individual mods that did all those things better then SFO did them, without also being attached to the overall SFO changes.

I can see why people liked it initially, because it'd have been a real hoot when the game first launched and you only had 4 races to choose from and all had huge weird issues. But by the point of the WElves/Beastmen, or especially the Foundation Update there was just so much content in the game already it felt off what CA was trying to push their game towards. And now that we see what they have done with 2, it seems even more pointless to use. At this point why are people even still using the mod? Are they attached to the name? I don't get it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rookersh posted:

SFO was the only way you could have the dwarves and the orks have any kind of relevance or interesting mechanics, they also made the vampire coutns really fun to play with and against.

Goons are really weird and need to consider every Total War mod a Radious spawn for some reason.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mans posted:

SFO was the only way you could have the dwarves and the orks have any kind of relevance or interesting mechanics, they also made the vampire coutns really fun to play with and against.

Goons are really weird and need to consider every Total War mod a Radious spawn for some reason.
Yeah but they're already my favorite faction to play as and I like playing against them in vanilla, so I don't know why I'd do that.

Dwarfs/Orcs need work but I think there are other ways to do it. Green iz Best did pretty well, and mods that hamper Dwarf upkeep/income based on size seem to be helpful too. I still think that a combination of AI mods to respect climate and loosening Greenskin preferences while tightening Dwarf ones would be useful too. Basically, if they have cool ideas and do them well, I'd rather just take those ideas and put them into vanilla instead of overhauling everything just because.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 14, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
TBH the only reason I might want to use SFO now is some of their added units. I liked the Sigmarite Disciples as an "elite" version of Flagellants that could do AP damage, the Dwarf Engineer squads were great, and the Longbowmen-at-Arms gave me an idea for a Bretonnian army that ran no melee infantry at all. Fortunately, this skill revamp mod I'm using consolidates Flagellant bonuses into Honest Steel so there's no need to use them, and Gejnor's Dwarf mod makes Master Engineers much easier to get so I don't really need Engineer squads anymore. I guess a mod for Longbowmen-at-Arms might pop up one day.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I looked through the sfo changes page a bit back and they added +3% upkeep to March stance. Like maybe it does some really good stuff but lol dude why

Another 100g I feel so immersed rn

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

TBH the only reason I might want to use SFO now is some of their added units. I liked the Sigmarite Disciples as an "elite" version of Flagellants that could do AP damage, the Dwarf Engineer squads were great, and the Longbowmen-at-Arms gave me an idea for a Bretonnian army that ran no melee infantry at all. Fortunately, this skill revamp mod I'm using consolidates Flagellant bonuses into Honest Steel so there's no need to use them, and Gejnor's Dwarf mod makes Master Engineers much easier to get so I don't really need Engineer squads anymore. I guess a mod for Longbowmen-at-Arms might pop up one day.

I mean, the issue with this is that armies have built in deficiencies. Empire don't have great elite infantry, for instance, which is good and important because they already have incredibly strong ranged/cav/magic/artillery. Just giving them elite infantry does this dumb thing where all the factions get homogenized to hell.

Like its deliberate that the Empire has the shittiest line infantry in the game except for Bretonnia. Its an important thing to make them actually feel unique and not obnoxious to play against!

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The Viking Invasion was a great expansion so I’m excited for this new saga. Plus it’s basically The Last Kingdom: Total War so I cant wait for my Saxon Fyrd to be minced by heavy Norse infantry.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I do like the change to make it so each unit has more of a role (ie shieldless spearmen are now pikemen with a bigger antilarge bonus) but also don't like their trend for uber elite units for each faction and the general making battles longer and sloggier

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I stopped using steel faith when it started doing the changes for the sake of changes, some new units or old units given new purpose was neat, but they also made some things broken for lore over gameplay, like vampires walking speed as fast as a horse, hammerers tearing through armies in melee and other things mentioned.

TW2 fixes a lot of the things without any mods and little touchups here and there can fix the rest without a big overhaul.

But after you play awhile, a big overhaul can add fresh life to the game at least, making things just different enough.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'd recommend steel faith if you wanna play beastmen or chaos in ME and don't wanna wait for the foundation update.

They also have a fun option in ME where on turn 1 you can choose to make it so all the various Empire provinces can't declare war on each other, making it a much more consistent threat that actually feels like fighting against an empire.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I actually liked the changes to buildings, like how garrison buildings add public order but decrease income, so now there's not always a need to have every settlement walled up; if you do that it will really cut into your income in the province. Other buildings get public order maluses, which gives other tradeoffs. Another benefit to all of this is that on Very Hard you don't have the AI with a bunch of settlements with 150 bajillion public order; there's enough buildings that passively lower public order that you can still trigger revolts on enemy territories.

Much of the blue skills were greatly improved by SFO, I don't think it made lords overpowered instead it made the blue line actually worth taking at the time beyond just Lightning Strike.

I also liked that they cranked up the unit size of zombies, goblins, skavenslaves, and so forth which really helps those factions in terms of autoresolve. In my current SFOII Dwarf game Red Eye basically crushed all the Dwarves north of me, and Empire has gotten flattened by Crooked Moon and Vampire Counts. In the stock ME game this rarely happened.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zore posted:

I mean, the issue with this is that armies have built in deficiencies. Empire don't have great elite infantry, for instance, which is good and important because they already have incredibly strong ranged/cav/magic/artillery. Just giving them elite infantry does this dumb thing where all the factions get homogenized to hell.

Like its deliberate that the Empire has the shittiest line infantry in the game except for Bretonnia. Its an important thing to make them actually feel unique and not obnoxious to play against!

If you're talking about the Imperial Foot, those dudes cost a mint a-piece, need a maxed-out Altdorf, and they're basically elite vanilla Halberdiers and won't nearly be as cost-effective against enemy infantry like Greatswords will be (and Greatswords aren't that cost-effective either). And Sigmarite Disciples are 60-man units (IIRC), and are really there for their physical protection aura and magic damage. I played enough games with SFO to know that the additional units (that they even made optional) are the furthest thing when it comes to homogenizing the armies; this isn't some Radious making a billion variants of units.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Yeah SFO also has many sub-mods to either make the game easier or harder, remove the additional units or other misc changes (like whether or not you want unlimited regen or not).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I'm asked if my mod is SFO compatible how do I respond without drawing the flaccid ire of skinheads worldwide?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
you could put a note on your mod page and maybe the local dsa chapter will finally let you join and kiss the antifa girls

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I feel like I'm giving bad customer service when I say I don't know and I'm not willing to find out.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Getting the Invocation of Nehek bug late in battles as VH. Can't really keep going with that campaign till it's fixed, too annoying. Lost several so far because it cast but didn't heal anything.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Getting the Invocation of Nehek bug late in battles as VH. Can't really keep going with that campaign till it's fixed, too annoying. Lost several so far because it cast but didn't heal anything.

Are you sure that's a bug and not just that you reached the healing/regeneration limit on those units?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

sassassin posted:

I feel like I'm giving bad customer service when I say I don't know and I'm not willing to find out.

My tier 4 minor isn't compatible in terms of garrisons/income because Steel Faith originally asked to just add it in and the new guy hasn't for TW2, but my answer is always I don't play overhauls and I'm not making patches for them, but anyone is free to do so if they want. I'd say just grab the file, check the PFM for any overwrites, then just say it may not line up and you have no plans to fix that.

The people who play Radious and SFO are exactly the kind of people who won't read the mod description at all before clicking on subscribe, so expect those questions forever. I just condescendingly toss in a comment about the mod description and my bolded paragraph about it every time I answer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

John Charity Spring posted:

Are you sure that's a bug and not just that you reached the healing/regeneration limit on those units?

Yes unless the health bars aren't showing the limit (and it's a lot lower now).