Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

kingturnip posted:

It's just at the bottom of the News item, in between the option to talk to them yourself, or get your Captain to do it.

Is this FM17?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Did you change their squad status to reflect how much football they'd be getting? A Key Player is going to whinge if they're not starting all the time.

Kolasinac was Rotation, Monreal was either Key or First Team.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Is this FM17?

Nope, sorry, FM18.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Pulisic is absolutely insane. I signed him to replace Alexis at Arsenal, and he ended up winning the golden ball and world player of the year, and came second to Messi in world footballer of the year. In the first season.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Never played a beta release FM before, is there any reason I shouldn't start a save in the beta that I plan to carry across into the final release? I assume I can delete all the lnc files and all that in the beta still yeah?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I know FM can be typically a bug-ridden game etc. but lol at it being 2017 and people still no idea what a beta/pre-release/early access is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

I know FM can be typically a bug-ridden game etc. but lol at it being 2017 and people still no idea what a beta/pre-release/early access is.

FM players have got to be some of the least computer-literate videogame players anywhere.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Well yeah they’re football fans and therefore inveterate scum

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

FM players have got to be some of the least computer-literate videogame players anywhere.

Most FM players don't play any other videogames except maybe fifa and pro evo. So yeah.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Never played a beta release FM before, is there any reason I shouldn't start a save in the beta that I plan to carry across into the final release? I assume I can delete all the lnc files and all that in the beta still yeah?

Depends on the state of the database. I don't know about this year but sometimes there are big oversights/omissions. Otherwise no reason not to start like you mean to go on.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How's the match engine this year?

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
So I've just come back to FM after a few years and I'm struggling a bit with the UI and the game itself in general, anybody have any hints or tips to make it less of a struggle?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I prefer the match engine so far, especially the decline in the forty-yard screamers that seemed to decide every other game in 17. I think I've seen one from Sanchez and one from Rooney but a loose clearance from a corner no longer means certain death.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I have seen (in a friendly, sadly), a Goalkeeper latch onto a poor touch from a striker and wallop it clear, only to see it hit his DC and go in.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Mustafa posted:

So I've just come back to FM after a few years and I'm struggling a bit with the UI and the game itself in general, anybody have any hints or tips to make it less of a struggle?

Buy the official editor and give 20s to all your players then freeze their attributes.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Is the beta running horribly slow for anyone else? I created a new game with the exact same league setup I was using in FM 17 and FM18 is slugging at like half the speed, with random lockups for 30+ seconds sometimes, when I'm simming. The match engine appears to run the same, possibly better, but sim speed is horrible. Even the transition from simming back to the main UI for whatever event stopped the game can take 5-10 seconds.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wirth1000 posted:

Buy the official editor and give 20s to all your players then freeze their attributes.

Except flair, aggression, workrate and teamwork.

Obviously dirtiness stays at 20.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I have seen (in a friendly, sadly), a Goalkeeper latch onto a poor touch from a striker and wallop it clear, only to see it hit his DC and go in.

This happened to me like two weeks ago in a league match

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

Is the beta running horribly slow for anyone else? I created a new game with the exact same league setup I was using in FM 17 and FM18 is slugging at like half the speed, with random lockups for 30+ seconds sometimes, when I'm simming. The match engine appears to run the same, possibly better, but sim speed is horrible. Even the transition from simming back to the main UI for whatever event stopped the game can take 5-10 seconds.

I've had one or two times where it seemed like it locked up simming a day and it just sat there for like 5 minutes, but it eventually got through it. The rest of the time has felt pretty normal but not especially snappy (I have a big DB though).

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Honestly, as the thread starter, I want to change the thread title to "Football Manager 20XX: This year, with XX new features"

(and yes, XX is the joke. It changes every year, but the core remains the same)

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
(FM17)
My worst midfielder complained that he wasn't playing enough so I told him he wasn't gonna get the playing time he needs and was willing to sell him. He replied with "Nah, I'll just work harder."

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The 5.6 rating CB being told he really sucked poo poo out there replying back that I need spectacles because he actually was awesome never fails to make me laugh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The 5.6 rating CB being told he really sucked poo poo out there replying back that I need spectacles because he actually was awesome never fails to make me laugh

He's right in that those ratings don't tell the whole story.

But 5.6 is at least one major mistake, surely.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
"fix your specticles gaffer playing 2-6-4 is suicidal for me i've only 5 pace"

thassa fm24 feature convo

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

"My passing stats were exemplary, are you mad?"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Downloaded the demo this morning and got about half an hour in.

I've been a CM/FM player since CM97/98 and one thing that has never stopped astounding me are the completely unnecessary, terrible additions that I find it so hard to believe literally *anyone* asked for. This year it's that absolutely godawful music that plays upon launch, what in the holy gently caress could they have possibly been thinking??

Initial reactions are: I'm on the fence with the new scouting, looks great but seems very counter-intuitive and takes too long to do stuff you could do last year; they've overhauled staff search in a way that makes it unnecessarily difficult to do simple things (why did they remove filters??), the new UI generally is... Okay but similarly it feels like I have to click a lot more buttons than last year. It's a pain in the dick having three different categories of Goalkeeping Coach.

Dynamics... Again, I only got about two days' game time, it looks like a good idea that will add a nice new dimension to things and contribute to the Role Playing feel of the game but I feel it's probably liable to the usual FM implosion of being illogical, counter-intuitive and way too influential on results.

Looking forward to cracking open a beer and playing a few matches after work.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Adrianics posted:

Downloaded the demo this morning and got about half an hour in.

I've been a CM/FM player since CM97/98 and one thing that has never stopped astounding me are the completely unnecessary, terrible additions that I find it so hard to believe literally *anyone* asked for. This year it's that absolutely godawful music that plays upon launch, what in the holy gently caress could they have possibly been thinking??

In the Beta, at least, you can turn the music off in the menu and re-name all the splash screen .bik files so you just land at the main menu.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Adrianics posted:

This year it's that absolutely godawful music that plays upon launch, what in the holy gently caress could they have possibly been thinking??

You can still turn it off in preferences, at least. I kind of like it in the "obviously trying to ape a FIFA menu soundtrack with a much smaller licensing budget" sense, but of course there's only one track so the most it does is remind me to go find Actual FIFA Soundtracks on Spotify to listen to instead.

quote:

they've overhauled staff search in a way that makes it unnecessarily difficult to do simple things (why did they remove filters??)

They didn't remove staff search filters, they just moved them to a subscreen for some silly reason. I can't remember what button you need to click offhand.

quote:

Looking forward to cracking open a beer and playing a few matches after work.

Still, agreed. Dear Lord did they do a lot of unnecessary and unhelpful UI changes, but I really like at least the idea of the Dynamics system and I'm prepared to be sold on the new scouting, and most of all I have a long weekend coming up and a fridge full of cider and I've updated the custom DB edits I was using last year so welp, time to Make Canadian Football Great Again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I warned you, bros.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The dynamics system seems cool so far. The biggest thing I've noticed is that regens seem to be insanely good this year, I've found 3 or 4 teenagers who are at least good enough for a first team squad spot with no real trouble at all, I'm only 2 seasons in.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I played the demo a fair bit over the weekend and am now two game months in. I am delighted to report that Coventry City are overpowered in FM18, a fairly bog-standard 4-2-3-1 and Cleon's 4-1-4-1 Counter are utterly destroying anyone who wanders into our path, including cup victories over Preston and Brentford. I like the new match engine just fine and it feels like the animations have improved, although all of your favourite matchday glitches are back with a vengeance. In fact, the demo loads a lot faster and runs a lot quicker than FM18 which is nice.

I am also noticing a lot of opposition red cards, a lot of penalties and Goalkeepers are *constantly* parrying tame crosses out at the near post for a cheap corner, at least once a game.

The new team dynamics are pretty cool and definitely add a new dimension to squad management, asking an influential team player (rather than the captain) to talk to an unhappy player is neat but it seems completely random whether the game suggests that or the captain.

The team briefing is cool, although I just delegate to the assistant as there's an insane amount of micromanagement and clicking if you try to do it yourself. There's options for scenarios in team briefing (setting team instructions if 2-0 up etc) which is goddamned amazing and something I've wanted for a long time, but I can't find any way of doing this in the normal tactics screen.

I'm struggling with the new scouting so far, I really don't like how different the options are if you delegate to your Chief Scout and how there's no overlap at all; the new Short-Term Focus option is terrific but disappears if you choose to set assignments yourself. Generally, my scouts don't seem to be finding an awful lot of players and keep bothering me about 1.5-2 star players I'll never be interested in.

Overall... I think it's pretty good, but as Dallan Invictus said above some of the UI changes are overshadowing positive changes to the gameplay and overall experience.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Adrianics posted:

Overall... I think it's pretty good, but as Dallan Invictus said above some of the UI changes are overshadowing positive changes to the gameplay and overall experience.

I absolutely hate the UI, the worst thing for me (even though it's probably incredibly minor for everybody else) is that they rotated the tactics screen when you're mid game, my little pea brain gets incredibly confused.

To make things worse the dude that made the Vitrex skin from last year - which was incredible, isn't doing one this year

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Adrianics posted:

There's options for scenarios in team briefing (setting team instructions if 2-0 up etc) which is goddamned amazing and something I've wanted for a long time, but I can't find any way of doing this in the normal tactics screen.

Go to the Tactics screen, then click "Match Plans".

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'm noticing a significant downtick in Offside calls. They even appear to be missing some. Had a goal scored against me a few days ago where the guy was offside by a good few yards.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any place to get this with a discount? Is it on sale for like cybermondays? I have a string of flights coming up and I'd like to play

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It literally came out 5 days ago so I assume no

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Waroduce posted:

Any place to get this with a discount? Is it on sale for like cybermondays? I have a string of flights coming up and I'd like to play

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/football-manager-2018-pc-steam-cd-key

€31

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
thanks when they do the winter update does your save carry over or you have to start again?

e: like i guess rosters wouldnt but gameplay/engine changes

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Anything that's baked into the database at start won't be updated in a save game with the winter update (so players and staff, club or stadium data, most competition changes, etc), but simulation or match engine changes usually will be (though they may or may not work perfectly neatly with the old data.)

Shroud
May 11, 2009
This handsome fellow showed up during a corner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Shroud posted:

This handsome fellow showed up during a corner:

I want to believe.....