Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Let me take another stab at explaining what I'm on about: I'm not a big Disney or Transformers or Michael Bay fan, nor do I have some deep hatred for them; I just don't really care. And yet, I can watch a Lindsay Ellis video ostensibly about one of them, because she will bring an interesting cultural and/or historical perspective, and I will feel like I learned something about media and/or the world. Am I going to get something of that nature from this particular video about CinemaSins, whom I really don't care about one way or the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I confess that I used to watch CS videos. Even from the start I never thought them to be intelligent reviews or noteworthy criticisms of movies I've seen, just background noise that on occasion made an amusing comment or maybe said a nitpick that I thought about too. I don't remember why I stopped watching them, but it definitely wasn't from hate. Probably indifference and finding other background noise.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's fun because making GBS threads on people being smug about how they totally got it figured out but who are also super wrong is good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Am I going to get something of that nature from this particular video about CinemaSins, whom I really don't care about one way or the other?

Maybe.

The point of the video is to highlight how CS is lazy, bad criticism. If you already knew that then it's mostly background info on how the series became lazy, bad criticism, which if you're not interested in knowing that then you'll only be getting more indepth knowledge on a subject you don't care about.

So, maybe.

I suppose the next step for Bob to take is to expand the net further into the larger cultural context that CS has found itself in ie the unintended product made by CS existing. He touches on that a little bit but it's not the focus of the video, and it'd be interesting to see just how far the damage has gone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mostly I'd like if people (including many of my friends) stopped seeing movies as a random series of plot points to be executed by characters that act like super-logical robots with a faq open.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mostly I'd like if people (including many of my friends) stopped seeing movies as a random series of plot points to be executed by characters that act like super-logical robots with a faq open.

Rationalfic is a loving blight.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there really any merit to watching a whole video about how bad they are rather than just not watch them?

It goes into some detail about how and why Cinemasins is successful clickbait (choice of the title, following trends, etc). It's higher level view than both his previous stuff and Shaun's videos on Cinemasins.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 14, 2017

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rationalfic is a loving blight.

Rationalfic is indicative of a problem that infects a lot of fanfiction, as well as published literature: they don't bother to make characters mess up, or face serious challenges to their goals. Any flaws they may have are there to pay lip service, and are used to give them the veneer of being more human, instead of godlike.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

If you fancy 15 minutes of misery, check out my new vid on a very dark Spectrum game. Gaining more traction than I expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-la83RpEc

Ugh, anything to do with Savile sends a shiver up my spine. It was a good video. A couple of months back I was ill enough to be bed ridden (manflu) and went through nearly all your documentaries, I enjoyed nearly all of them even the ones on subjects I have little interest in.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Let me take another stab at explaining what I'm on about : I'm not a big Disney or Transformers or Michael Bay fan, nor do I have some deep hatred for them; I just don't really care. And yet, I can watch a Lindsay Ellis video ostensibly about one of them, because she will bring an interesting cultural and/or historical perspective, and I will feel like I learned something about media and/or the world. Am I going to get something of that nature from this particular video about CinemaSins, whom I really don't care about one way or the other?

the whole point of the video is that people should be watching the channels you point out instead of cinema sins, I don't think the video is for you really, it seems like a reasoned impassioned argument for cinemasins viewers to stop watching them since they have a real negative impact on youtube and film as a whole

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Jon Bois continues to explain American Football with charts and sweet music.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there really any merit to watching a whole video about how bad they are rather than just not watch them?

Some people who like to complain about things also like to see other people complaining about things they don't like.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I agree! Why not just stop watching films instead of watching cinemasins complain about em?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stop complaining about people complaining about people complaining about movies

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Mars4523 posted:

The article's wording kinda doesn't. It explains why papering over historically racist depictions of black people by simply brushing black characters under the rug (despite the historically black influences behind the work) is problematic. There's nothing about the article that condemns the game or says that you shouldn't play it.

The author argues that you can't borrow from the art style of a historical era without also acknowledging the troubling racial context of that era and art style.

On an unrelated note, Bobvids has a new video essay examining his thoughts on why Cinema Sins is Terrible.

It's a nice video showing the issues with Cinema Sins, but now that he's done this, I kinda want him to move on and vids about other things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I think all has been said that needs to, though I wouldn't mind a last video focusing on CS's hilariously childish women issues.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea I think all has been said that needs to, though I wouldn't mind a last video focusing on CS's hilariously childish women issues.

This post isn't giving me a lapdance *ding*

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Leal posted:

This post isn't giving me a lapdance *ding*

*Stops barely short of jerking off to Spring Breakers during the behind the scenes episode*

Bob was talking just now about a bunch of topics he cut for time and I'm desperately hoping for a follow up with them in now.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

On Twitter bobvids said that he cut that (and many other topics) for time. I wouldn't mind seeing it addressed however.

Todd in the Shadows looks at "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons and "Feel it Still" by Portugal. The Man, and he finds himself conflicted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hbomberguy posted:

I agree! Why not just stop watching films instead of watching cinemasins complain about em?

You mean watch some films instead of watching cs complain about them, right?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why would you ever subject yourself to any kind of media?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm just not sophisticated enough to handle this level of irony.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why is your computer still on

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You mean watch some films instead of watching cs complain about them, right?

Far too straightforward that, may as well do the equivalent of complaining about those "___ Movie" movies except for many hours

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
wat

https://player.vimeo.com/video/242817398

"Bangarang" - Nostalgia Critic.

I can't get past the titlecard. Can we maybe, I dunno, slice this up into small chunks, randomly assign each user a piece, and figure it out "funniest joke in the world" style-- for our own sanity?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

lornekates posted:

wat

https://player.vimeo.com/video/242817398

"Bangarang" - Nostalgia Critic.

I can't get past the titlecard. Can we maybe, I dunno, slice this up into small chunks, randomly assign each user a piece, and figure it out "funniest joke in the world" style-- for our own sanity?

When did NC get so bald?

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 15, 2017

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DoubleCakes posted:

When did NC get so bald?

"Goodbye, Channel Awesome" - posted by Doug's hair

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doug is slowly metamorphosing into Joss Whedon as part of some strange time loop. It answers so much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

When did NC get so bald?

TBH, I thought that said "when did NC get so bad" and I wrote out a giant post about how Demo Reel failing just broke Doug's brain because he doesn't actually want to review content any more, he wants to make it himself but no one actually wants or likes any of his non-NC efforts so it's becoming a feedback loop.

But then I saw the L. lol Doug's been going bald since 2008. Why do you think that stupid hat is a part of the Nostalgia Critic costume? It's not there because it looks good :ssh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Roth posted:

Why would you ever subject yourself to any kind of media?

Better question: why would you share your opinions of media with other people?

Returning to a previous topic, is anyone hoping to hear some better takes on the subject of micro-transactions and lootcrates?

Well, too bad...

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/930468533691125760
https://twitter.com/waltdwilliams/status/929767682995519489
https://twitter.com/razzadoop/status/930230873739239424

It should be noted that while EA did drop the price of heroes down 75%, it's rendered moot by the fact that EA also reduced the rate you can earn points by 75%. YongYea made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RYfNTDe9k

Please tell me if I should stop posting stuff I find about this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Video games were a mistake. They should all be destroyed.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Won't someone think of the poor microtransactions!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Some people are pretty ludicrously willing to suck down the Oligarch cock. Is this just them having no other real hobby or outlet and.needing to defend it from any and all attention and controversy?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Better question: why would you share your opinions of media with other people?

Returning to a previous topic, is anyone hoping to hear some better takes on the subject of micro-transactions and lootcrates?

Well, too bad...

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/930468533691125760
https://twitter.com/waltdwilliams/status/929767682995519489
https://twitter.com/razzadoop/status/930230873739239424

It should be noted that while EA did drop the price of heroes down 75%, it's rendered moot by the fact that EA also reduced the rate you can earn points by 75%. YongYea made a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RYfNTDe9k

Please tell me if I should stop posting stuff I find about this.
I'm willing to bet 100% of these people still cuss at their ISP's service techs when their internet goes out. Do they get offended at "Comcast sucks" jokes?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Wow, way to parrot the corporate line there. Did EA pay him to write tha-

:thunk:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

These people talk like they want to make gamedevs a protected species, it's ridiculous. On one hand another page of lootcrate chat might have me praying for death but any more stupid tweets from journos and other people are very welcome.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ah yes, the only way to make money in video games: loot boxes. That's it, that's the only business model. How the industry survived up until this point is a mystery.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

While I agree with the sentiment that the game devs themselves are or should be largely exempt from the blame that belongs to their publishers, are people giving the devs poo poo? I have not seen people up in arms about DICE including lootboxes and poo poo. I see a lot of people up in arms about EA. I am sure there is plenty of conflating of the 2 as DICE is an EA studio but then it would still largely fall on EA.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tiniest violin for this guy, like you're still getting paid you clown and if you're working for EA or Activision cranking out the next CoD/Battlefieldfront, you already know what's gonna happen to your game well in advance, so when the inevitable happens people are well within their right to complain about your game being a vehicle for box gambling ya tool.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

While I agree with the sentiment that the game devs themselves are or should be largely exempt from the blame that belongs to their publishers, are people giving the devs poo poo? I have not seen people up in arms about DICE including lootboxes and poo poo. I see a lot of people up in arms about EA. I am sure there is plenty of conflating of the 2 as DICE is an EA studio but then it would still largely fall on EA.

Not really. As you say, most of the people are annoyed at EA. Folks like Schreier and Klepek just automatically take this "harrassment" angle all the time though and have done since...well, around August 2014 or so in basically every gaming controversy that's cropped up since then. Like sure there may be a few tweets here and there from yer default eggs and no doubt some of them are pretty salty indeed, but that doesn't change the legitimate criticisms that people have of their business practices in the slightest.

It's the same old song, really. When No Man's Sky was such a big deal last year, sure there was a lot of anger and some nasty stuff too - but that didn't mean all the legitimate complaints about the buggy state of the game when it first came out could be just handwaved away as being the same as a default egg telling Sean Murray that he should go die or whatever, yet some people were all too eager to conflate the two because gamers are automatically poo poo people.

It's kinda getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Harris Mc B-17 Man posted:

Games Journalists should be purged

• Locked thread