Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Reveilled posted:

Don't be disingenuous. We're talking about sugar as an actual ingredient, not any natural sugar which might exist within the other ingredients.

Right, because if we talk your way we can be prissy little euro-twits who can pretend there's no sugar as we lie to ourselves. Come off it, clown.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fishmech posted:

Right, because if we talk your way we can be prissy little euro-twits who can pretend there's no sugar as we lie to ourselves. Come off it, clown.

Fishmech, I really wish that just once in your life you'd try to have a good faith discussion.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fishmech posted:

I ask this as politely as possible, but are you suffering from some kind of reading comprehension issue?

Because we constantly get these slapfights where you mischaracterize something someone else writes in the most hostile way possible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nobody has used the word twit since 1980.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Fishmech please stop badposting, the point isn't whether :fishmech:there are actually more carbohydrate calories in the starch part than the added sugar part:fishmech:, it's that US style bread tastes sweet which is bad and unbready.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

learnincurve posted:

Nobody has used the word twit since 1980.

People call people who use twitter this.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

I thought adding a little sugar to bread dough feeds the yeast and doesn't really flavor the finished product? I generally only eat sourdough bread and occasionally rye, so I don't get the USA BREAD IS CAKE thing, although that cheap white Wonderbread poo poo is truly awful.

Depends a lot on what yeast you're using in what dough, but generally the yeast will feed on the sugar content of the starch in the flour. You can add a little sugar/potato if you want to help the process along, but too much will dry out the dough and limit the growth of the yeast.

I don't think it's that hard to find decent bread in the US; most grocery stores have a bakery department of some sort and the shorter shelf life means there's always a loaf on sale if you're willing to eat it quickly. I know a lot of people will get the mass produced stuff to keep in the pantry for quick meals, and then buy a loaf of bakery stuff a few times a month to go with dinner that'll get eaten in a day or two.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

there wolf posted:

Depends a lot on what yeast you're using in what dough, but generally the yeast will feed on the sugar content of the starch in the flour. You can add a little sugar/potato if you want to help the process along, but too much will dry out the dough and limit the growth of the yeast.

I don't think it's that hard to find decent bread in the US; most grocery stores have a bakery department of some sort and the shorter shelf life means there's always a loaf on sale if you're willing to eat it quickly. I know a lot of people will get the mass produced stuff to keep in the pantry for quick meals, and then buy a loaf of bakery stuff a few times a month to go with dinner that'll get eaten in a day or two.

Is it sourdough, wholemeal and has to actually be chewed instead of melting away like cotton candy? If that's not an option then your bread isn't actually decent :colbert:

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
fishmech is the holy dove setting out across the shoreless hungry ocean of breadchat to find an olive tree

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

blowfish posted:

Is it sourdough, wholemeal and has to actually be chewed instead of melting away like cotton candy? If that's not an option then your bread isn't actually decent at least of x height, not within distance of an urban hellspace, and in a state of my love.and cummies? Then its not real mountains which are only in Europtana. :colbert:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

much like faux-rural American'ts, faux-bread is more widespread than the real thing in the USA

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me, does anyone else run into the problem of grocery store bakeries selling sliced, under-baked bread? Like, the bottoms are mostly white but the tops are Golden brown?

I've run into under-baked sandwhich bread with the orida wide loaves too, but much less severe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

Fishmech please stop badposting, the point isn't whether :fishmech:there are actually more carbohydrate calories in the starch part than the added sugar part:fishmech:, it's that US style bread tastes sweet which is bad and unbready.

Yeah that's not true though? Again unless you choose to only compare European rock bread that's barely fit for an unfavorable mule to the cheapest possible garbage white you can find in the US.

Reveilled posted:

Fishmech, I really wish that just once in your life you'd try to have a good faith discussion.

I'm having a good faith discussion, yall are spasming over 0.001% higher sugar content across all breads meaning everything is now cake because you once bought knockoff wonder bread at a supermarket outside Orlando.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 14, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not rock hard nasty bread, it’s nice soft fluffy breads :colbert:

You are aware that stuff like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup makes the whole added sugar debate seem a little silly. We just add it on top instead.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Acrually if you refer to DOA standard A-A-20052....

Holy poo poo!!! :

COMMERCIAL ITEM DESCRIPTION
BREAD, FRESH OR FROZEN
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has authorized
the use of this Commercial Item Description.
1. SCOPE.
1.1 This Commercial Item Description (CID) covers fresh or frozen bread, packed in
commercially acceptable containers, suitable for use by Federal, State, and local governments and
other interested parties.

I mean....They have a spec sheet for bread standardization!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Holy poo poo!!! :

BREAD, FRESH OR FROZEN
1. SCOPE.
1.1 This Commercial Item Description (CID) covers fresh or frozen bread, packed in
commercially acceptable containers, suitable for use by Federal, State, and local governments and

Well yeah. It's a foodstuff, that has to be inspected. Why wouldn't it have a spec sheet?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Well yeah. It's a foodstuff, that has to be inspected. Why wouldn't it have a spec sheet?

I just forget sometimes that they're an entire department of our Government that classifies and standardizes everything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I just forget sometimes that they're an entire department of our Government that classifies and standardizes everything.

how exactly did you think the FDA and stuff work? you can't hold food to a certain quality standard without having a standard in the first place

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

This is absolutely a thing. From WW2 to the late 90's, mixed-use developments weren't really a thing. They're only really starting to come back in a lot of places as people gentrify old downtowns.

Mixed use developments are extremely good and I love them. I would suspect that is these were more common, the convenience factor of purchasing a thing would far outweigh that of purchasing from Amazon, provided the price difference isn’t too different.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Two, interestingly. The USDA and the FDA handle different aspects of the food trade.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Liquid Communism posted:

Like I said, bougie as gently caress. You are in the business of owning the means of production. That's not a bad business to be in, but it also informs your opinions.

yes lets put the lowly janitor with no experience in managing costs or analyzing foot traffic in charge of site selection or store management.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Holy poo poo!!! :

BREAD, FRESH OR FROZEN
1. SCOPE.

You must have not been paying attention to Brexit, where a ban on bendy bananas featured prominently in the argument for EU overreach:

[url posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6481969.stm[/url]]As Commission Regulation (EC) 2257/94 puts it, bananas must be "free from malformation or abnormal curvature". In the case of "Extra class" bananas, there is no wiggle room, but Class 1 bananas can have "slight defects of shape", and Class 2 bananas can have full-on "defects of shape".

No attempt is made to define "abnormal curvature" in the case of bananas, which must lead to lots of arguments. Contrast the case of cucumbers (Commission Regulation (EEC) No 1677/88), where Class I and "Extra class" cucumbers are allowed a bend of 10mm per 10cm of length. Class II cucumbers can bend twice as much.
You'll be shocked to learn that a ban on sales of bendy bananas never actually existed. The regulation is only about the standards required to be allowed to sell bananas of a certain class, so that when a supermarket orders bananas from an importer, they have an objective way of determining whether they got the quality of banana they paid for. If a supermarket wanted to be in the defective-shape banana business, there was nothing stopping them.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Magius1337est posted:

yes lets put the lowly janitor with no experience in managing costs or analyzing foot traffic in charge of site selection or store management.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIcRH_e6zQ

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

you sit on your rear end all day and do nothing of value, i dont know why you keep trying to justify yourself, embrace winning the capitalism game dude

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
well the average american foodservice worker is probably closer to him in living standards than they are to most people on earth, so agreed

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

Good mangement allows information, and that foot traffic is a great example, to flow upwards from the lowest employees. Yes we should listen to what they have to say about it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
When I worked in a restaurant, the owner was there 15 hours most every day working his rear end off, and was involved in just about every aspect of the place. That may just be the difference between an independent, somewhat upscale place and a fast food franchise, but I'd wager the place would have been a lot less successful if he'd just sat at home wanking into spreadsheets

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If one is asking employees or frankly any member of any organization to really go above and beyond, well they see everything one does and judge it when deciding if they will. But that's small unit leadership most managers know gently caress all about leadership.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 14, 2017

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Crow Jane posted:

When I worked in a restaurant, the owner was there 15 hours most every day working his rear end off, and was involved in just about every aspect of the place. That may just be the difference between an independent, somewhat upscale place and a fast food franchise, but I'd wager the place would have been a lot less successful if he'd just sat at home wanking into spreadsheets

I mean, if you are in restaurant work, spreadsheets are really one of the better places to wank into.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

I hated it when the owner came back into the kitchen.

The fucker would just sit there and stare at people while being in the way.

Commercial kitchens aren't roomy places to begin with, having some douche standing there with his hands on his hips between the line and the fridge didn't help.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

I don't think you get it. I'm not harshing on you. I'm just saying that someone with significant financial resources who is in the rent-seeking level of capitalism is going to have different consumer opinions than the vast majority of schlubs on the street.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

mandatory lesbian posted:

you sit on your rear end all day and do nothing of value, i dont know why you keep trying to justify yourself, embrace winning the capitalism game dude

there's a reason people like you are easily replaceable.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Here's an idea, a completely horizontally organized company that manages to stay in business and not cannibalize itself or fail to make any important decisions.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

site location, demographic analyzation, product ordering and throughput, operation efficiency, employee management, consumer satisfaction,

you know, all the poo poo that requires a college degree and that the parent company doesn't want to deal with

why, what do you do in your job?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Lol, you're such a loving douchebag. You do realize you still work in fast food, college degree or no, right?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Crow Jane posted:

Lol, you're such a loving douchebag. You do realize you still work in fast food, college degree or no, right?

least I'm not scrubbing bathrooms

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Magius1337est posted:

I wouldn't really expect a piece of poo poo to know how to clean a bathroom :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I worked in a MacDonald’s in my youth also a supermac. Best, least stressful jobs I’ve ever had, with the nicest most diverse group of people. I often wonder what would have happened if I’d gone on to management rather than university. If they paid the living wage rather than minimum wage I would happily work in fast food again. :)

That is my fast food worker story.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Magius1337est posted:

haha all of your employees hate you and know where the blind spots in the cameras are so they can gently caress off while you're sitting in your fortress of solitude pretending to be a captain of industry

i'm sure spending your dads money on some subway franchises empowers you but your bitterness is practically dripping off my screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Pictured: Magius1337est's last birthday party