Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kim is a classic song

rear end like that is classic garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Could you imagine Kim coming out now? People would lose their poo poo over how offensive it is. Em made a lot of great music and was inspirational to lots of people going through hardships. He’s fallen off but who from the 90’s hasn’t?

People lost their poo poo over how offensive it was then. It's just that over the top offensive poo poo was a great business strategy in the late 90s and early 00s but a tired and lovely one now.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

People lost their poo poo over how offensive it was then. It's just that over the top offensive poo poo was a great business strategy in the late 90s and early 00s but a tired and lovely one now.

early oddfuture is good, idiot

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

early oddfuture is good, idiot

Early Odd Future is almost a decade ago now

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

drat now I just feel old

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Robert Analog posted:

but who from the 90’s hasn’t?

Juicy J. Staying relevant as long as he has is an incredible achievement.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Early Odd Future is almost a decade ago now

Easily the most shocking thing on this page

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/13/563320805/first-listen-cyhi-the-prynce-no-dope-on-sunday

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Juicy J. Staying relevant as long as he has is an incredible achievement.

I don't know if "relevant" is the right word. He's definitely remained successful within his lane but he's not really getting a ton of attention outside of that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I don't know if "relevant" is the right word. He's definitely remained successful within his lane but he's not really getting a ton of attention outside of that.

sounds relevant to me. he releases poo poo that sounds like it's from this decade and isn't complete garbage by general consensus of people who actually like rap music. whether or not you like him is up to you really but i don't see anyone saying juicy j should stop making music and that's got to count for something.

new cyhi album is great

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rear end Like That is a time capsule from a time where songs were written with a video in mind

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Go-Away Bomb posted:

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/13/563320805/first-listen-cyhi-the-prynce-no-dope-on-sunday

CyHi's debut album with track-by-track commentary. Seems great judging by the first half. Pusha's feature :drat:

Yeah it's a good album. The tracks with Pusha and Q are great

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Eminem feat. nate dogg shake that was kinda good though, still fun to throw on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This Eminem song is loving cringeworthy

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Marching Powder posted:

sounds relevant to me. he releases poo poo that sounds like it's from this decade and isn't complete garbage by general consensus of people who actually like rap music. whether or not you like him is up to you really but i don't see anyone saying juicy j should stop making music and that's got to count for something.

new cyhi album is great

I'll say it. Dude's fallen off hard since the peak Three 6 days (although I was always more a Lord Infamous dude anyways). Basically Juicy J just gets on a lot of hot beats and is just...there. He's kinda a self-parody at this point, and is getting by a lot on nostalgia (in that a lot of the dudes he works with are obvious fans).

E40 and DJ Quik still put out really good music. ATCQ's last album was also extremely good for 90's artists. I think Aesop Rock got started in the late 90's if you'd want to count that and is still making great music (honestly you could argue that dude's only improved as his career went on). El-P as well (another dude you could argue has improved as his career went on, at least from the rapping side). And honestly, I'm not sure if that's really unusual. Like even comparing to other genres, it's really really loving rare for any artist to have 10+ years of consistently amazing/groundbreaking music. If you hit 20+ years you're likely gonna be considered some sort of all-time great (dudes like Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, etc. etc). And even most of them had lulls or times where their work is considered far inferior to what came before. Like I give Jay-Z a lot of poo poo (and notice I didn't put him in the list of dudes who haven't fallen off) but he's gotta be doing something right if he's still able to drop stuff that people want to hear and think is good in three different decades.

Also Eminem is barely in the top 5 white rappers. That said, I don't think his early stuff has aged nearly as bad as some people think (apparently shooting negroes is timeless or something since nobody ever seems to bring that up as something that's "offensive" or "tired" but say fag in a song and you'll see the lynch mobs calling out for blood) but he really only had two good/great albums-SS LP and MM LP. His big issue is he's a really really great rapper, but he's an average at best writer so now that he's not some angsty youth he really has nothing to fall back on. It's either largely technically impressive but somewhat flat stuff like "rap god", or him trying to do the angsty stuff only he's now a fairly well-adjusted rich dude in his 40s, or some play at shocking that sounds lame cause it's using a bunch of early 00's references.

That said I don't hate him for it and I'm glad he still puts out music. He's basically grew up in everything largely outside of his music which is cool. It's just I don't have much interest to really check for his stuff anymore. Honestly his career is somewhat of an anomaly, especially for a rapper. He's not the megapersonality/celebrity that dudes like Kanye, Jay-Z, or Drake are yet he still does gangbuster sales. Obviously being white helps him but even outside of that he's able to still tap into something to drive sales without being constantly in the limelight or super prevalent on social media.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I think we can all agree that the production Em did on his albums was terrible at least

e; LOL xxxtentacion got beat up again, this time by the migos/their entourage

Robert Analog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 14, 2017

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea i liked juicy with 36 and don't mind him now but if I'm listening to his music its for the production. His rapping has never been great but he rides beats well enough that his music is very listenable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

e; LOL xxxtentacion got beat up again, this time by the migos/their entourage

Good

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKIz1c9ktMQ

http://www.datpiff.com/Skippa-Da-Flippa-Flippa-Mcfadden-2-mixtape.870062.html

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://pagesix.com/2017/11/13/fbi-launches-probe-into-judge-who-sent-meek-mill-to-jail/

drat

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Robert Analog posted:

I think we can all agree that the production Em did on his albums was terrible at least

I think he had some good ones on The Eminem Show and I liked the track he produced for Jay-Z on the Black Album, but yeah, his production style "evolved" into awkward cheese.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

eminem even in his prime has always had the absolute worst ear for beats maybe of all time

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

alansmithee posted:

I'll say it. Dude's fallen off hard since the peak Three 6 days (although I was always more a Lord Infamous dude anyways). Basically Juicy J just gets on a lot of hot beats and is just...there. He's kinda a self-parody at this point, and is getting by a lot on nostalgia (in that a lot of the dudes he works with are obvious fans).

ehh i guess it's just a matter of personal taste, but blue dream and lean is my favorite project he's ever appeared on and that's from this decade.

agreed with everything else though.

on em chat it's amazing that kim would be legit more shocking if released today than it was back then, but he couldn't say that columbine line back then lol

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I gotta agree with most people here, juicys work with 3 6 is classic poo poo that still holds up to this day and influenced so many artists, his modern stuff is indistinguishable from most other turn up music out now. It's not bad but it's nothing special

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Robert Analog posted:

He’s fallen off but who from the 90’s hasn’t?

dj quik

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

40 lbs to freedom posted:

eminem even in his prime has always had the absolute worst ear for beats maybe of all time

Man i was going to counter with nas but an Eminem produced brooding bass beat just popped in my head and my hand involuntarily went to a skip button

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I want young berg to somehow gently caress up xxx too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gucci's book is good

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

still dont give a gently caress is eminems only good production credit and he splits it with bass bros

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
My favorite song this fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXHSzAFdR4w

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Robert Analog posted:

He’s fallen off but who from the 90’s hasn’t?

method man, redman, ghostface

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

“I’m gonna take my rear end beating like a man, btw be lucky I️ didn’t call the cops on you and also I’m gonna sue you” That dude is legit retarded.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
People keep commenting so let me backpedal a little and say no rapper from the 90’s is still at their peak, and Marshall is still way more relevant and popular than anyone you guys have mentioned save for like jay.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Being relevant and popular has nothing to do with being good though

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Ok, but meth and red haven’t topped blackout, ghostface will never top Ironman, Aesop rock and dj quik I’m assuming are not as good as they used to be? And no one from three 6 (even dj Paul, the real talent) will ever top mystic stylez through when the smoke clears. I don’t know what metric you guys are using but basically no one has as much success commercially or critically 20 years into their rap music career this doesn’t seem like a contentious point to make.

e; this iPhone bug with the capital “i” is annoying

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Ok, but meth and red haven’t topped blackout, ghostface will never top Ironman, Aesop rock and dj quik I’m assuming are not as good as they used to be? And no one from three 6 (even dj Paul, the real talent) will ever top mystic stylez through when the smoke clears. I don’t know what metric you guys are using but basically no one has as much success commercially or critically 20 years into their rap music career this doesn’t seem like a contentious point to make.

e; this iPhone bug with the capital “i” is annoying

Ghostface has topped Ironman twice imo but definitely is in the twilight of the quality part of his career. Aesop Rock is making great albums.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Robert Analog posted:

I don’t know what metric you guys are using but basically no one has as much success commercially or critically 20 years into their rap music career

making music 20 years later without a huge drop in quality from their old poo poo.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
gently caress Eminem where the gently caress is the NERD album?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

monkeu posted:

gently caress Eminem where the gently caress is the NERD album?! King Push :qq: