Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
From the competitive thread, but super good and relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

gowb posted:

What does Tom Clench want in the Strength category (obviously font of life if support but what about solo?)?

And does he want biscuit delivery or something else from inspiration?

I have all of a dozen games in the top lane (I’m trying to figure out the role in the pre season so I have something to queue as when I’m not feeling support) but it feels like you want to be more adaptive if you’re playing a low kill pressure champ.

Like, with Shen against someone who wants to murder me and snowball, I’m taking iron skin/mirror shell and second wind from resolve and biscuit delivery/celestial body from inspiration. If I think I can survive laneing without all that sustain, sorcery is way better since the ultimate hat is so good on champs with mobility ults like Shen and Tahm. And I’m free to take conditioning/overgrowth in resolve.

In terms of slot 1 resolve, I still like demolish but i think unflinching has a better win rate? It probably depends how on point you are with your TPs. I’m bad so it’s a little better for me to be able to chunk a Tower.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Boxman posted:

I have all of a dozen games in the top lane (I’m trying to figure out the role in the pre season so I have something to queue as when I’m not feeling support) but it feels like you want to be more adaptive if you’re playing a low kill pressure champ.

Like, with Shen against someone who wants to murder me and snowball, I’m taking iron skin/mirror shell and second wind from resolve and biscuit delivery/celestial body from inspiration. If I think I can survive laneing without all that sustain, sorcery is way better since the ultimate hat is so good on champs with mobility ults like Shen and Tahm. And I’m free to take conditioning/overgrowth in resolve.

In terms of slot 1 resolve, I still like demolish but i think unflinching has a better win rate? It probably depends how on point you are with your TPs. I’m bad so it’s a little better for me to be able to chunk a Tower.

Thanks. Tahm top has been hilarious so far, went up against panth and by starting E and the resolve / inspiration runes his spears were putting barely visible dents into my health bar which were instantly healed away lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I need to try it a bit more but I played Janna with Aery and it feels like I can be way more aggressive, which makes Janna more fun.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Count Bleck posted:

I was on Twitch.

:thunk:

Hey don't be mean to him his W key on his keyboard might be broken.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Well, that explains things. Ez's Mystic Shot got silently changed to be able to proc spell effects and on-next-hit effects sometime in an earlier patch... which is causing Muramana to hit twice on every hit of Mystic Shot. No wonder he's got such a bonkers winrate.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mikujin posted:

Yes. He was good prior to the big rune shakedown due to changes to his kit (base AD buff, slight tune up on tiger scaling) and the buff to Sterakk's (which pairs well with Triforce, and item you want to get). Press the Attack makes him a very lethal threat as well, since +16% damage on your fast autos and Tiger DoT (plus friends' damage) is a truckload.

Tempo is REALLY fun on him, but it's impractical and you probably won't really get lots of mileage out of it since Udyr already maims targets in a short enough window that by the time Tempo turns on they're either dead, locked down and soon to be dead, or have popped summoners/peeled you off.

whats your skill order

E: and second tree

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 14, 2017

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

whats your skill order

E: and second tree
Q > E=> W > R

Sorcery (Celerity/Gathering Storm) or Domination (Cheap Shot/Relentless Hunter) second

Mikujin's recent post history in this thread has more Udyr stuff in it

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Vermain posted:

Well, that explains things. Ez's Mystic Shot got silently changed to be able to proc spell effects and on-next-hit effects sometime in an earlier patch... which is causing Muramana to hit twice on every hit of Mystic Shot. No wonder he's got such a bonkers winrate.

This was years ago.

Off to a good start.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Transcendence is a great rune, would recommend, couldn't be happier, ultimate hat so good too, was just ulting their sole AD or AP carry constantly and then just loling at their small, tiny dicks

Last game was into Nasus-Ezreal jungle-Jhin mid-Vayne-Sona :lol:

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 14, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Teikanmi posted:

Transcendence is a great rune, would recommend, couldn't be happier, ultimate hat so good too, was just ulting their sole AD or AP carry constantly and then just loling at their small, tiny dicks

I think we have a S8 thread title.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Does that mean mystic shot applies the full liandrys burn and rylais slow now lol

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Vermain posted:

Jesus, no wonder that Ez in the last game was hitting like a truck with just a Muramana and a Sheen. He Q'ed me for like 400 when I had ~70 armor and tabi with two items.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That probably also explains why building a bunch of cdr and mana feels good. Rip

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

This was years ago.

Off to a good start.

Worst because I’m an rear end, not because I’m wrong.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
https://twitter.com/riotgames/status/930513475180273664

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Does that mean mystic shot applies the full liandrys burn and rylais slow now lol

yep lol

guinsoo/muramana/nashor's/bork/bloodrazor and boots for maximum dick-lolling at

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

*bursts into thread out of breath*

PLAY UDYR

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I gotta say, I'm not fan of the late game. It just feels so unsatisfying compared to early/mid game.

No buybacks means a single gently caress-up decides the game. There's no real backdoor protection so your nexus can be destroyed even if there isn't a single enemy minion in your half of the map. The lack of smoke makes it super hard to go for dragon or baron if you're behind. You can't place control wards without selling and rebuying an item. Gold stops mattering for the most part since it's only useful for switching items and buying elixirs.

The game just turns into a grind.

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 14, 2017

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

There should be an expensive boot enchant that gives a red ward every so often

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
They should just make another trinket slot but it works just like pink ward does now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elman posted:

No buybacks means a single gently caress-up decides the game. There's no real backdoor protection so your nexus can be destroyed even if there isn't a single enemy minion in your half of the map. The lack of smoke makes it super hard to go for dragon or baron if you're behind.

This is all pretty accurate, yes. League is an intensely macro-focused game. Making poor macro decisions early will make it more difficult to make good macro decisions in the future, and making poor macro decisions past a certain point in the game will give the enemy team the opportunity to close the game out, depending on how even both sides are. Having an inhib down with both Nexus turrets dead is a sign that your team has dramatically hosed up their macro, and your punishment is that the enemy team can simply decide to bumrush the Nexus or backdoor it while you contest an objective. This is good design, because it means that the enemy team that plays better can, more often than not, close out the game successfully.

The way that teams come back from large deficits is by capitalizing on enemy mistakes and playing out their win conditions better than the enemy team. If your team's win condition is teamfighting, you organize an ideal condition for a teamfight. If your team's win condition is splitpushing, you do everything in your power to play footsies with the enemy team while your splitpusher forces more than one of them to respond. If your team's win condition is stalling for late so you outscale, you keep waves pushed out and refuse to give the enemy team the fight they're looking for. If your team's win condition is objective taking (such as with a Zyra/Malz/Vayne comp), you use wave management and TP timings to try and force a situation where your team can either rush straight to Baron or hardcore shove down a lane while the enemy team is scrambling to regain control.

Honestly, though, in solo queue, the former is far more important than the latter. You ward up extensively and look for people playing disrespectfully, and you punish them for each and every little mistake they make. I have seen so many games that were 100% over getting turned on their heads because the enemy team's three carries bumbled into our territory without proper vision control, got dumpstered, and let us take Baron or push up to their inhib for free. The reason a lot of games feel like they're completely unwinnable when you're new is because you don't understand entirely when someone is making a mistake, how to force mistakes from them, or how to catch their mistakes when they do happen.

The Missing Link posted:

They should just make another trinket slot but it works just like pink ward does now.

They've never said it publicly, but my suspicion is that the reason they don't do this is because Control Wards occupying an inventory slot inherently gives an advantage to a team that's behind. If you're super far ahead and have a bunch of components for some monster item sitting in your inventory, you likely won't have the space for a Control Ward. This provides an opportunity for teams that are far behind to gain more vision control than the enemy team and can use that to try and regain their footing. In the very latest stages of the game, it also makes it harder to gain full vision control of the entire map, thus creating more situations where teams are forced to confront eachother - or where teams can ambush eachother - instead of hiding behind impenetrable lines of vision.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 15, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yeah they generally want less vision and less free vision / no drawback vision options for sure b/c nothing snowballs a game like vision advantage. Generally moving almost all of the vision options to one time purchases / free items was a clear attempt to make it harder to snowball control.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's cool to see a DOTA Guy come in and use nine billion words to ask why Trynda is so bullshit he just kill the tower & run away when you try and get him

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's cool to see a DOTA Guy come in and use nine billion words to ask why Trynda is so bullshit he just kill the tower & run away when you try and get him

Dota is cool, and if you went to the same high school as roshan irl he would have shoved your head in the toilet and flushed it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'd have kicked his rear end & I wouldn't have even remembered I did it. No offense.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Teikanmi posted:

If you like the Transcendance/Ultimate Hat combo have I got something you wanna try my friend

For reference: I tried this in an ARAM and I had like 3500 health before even starting to assemble my Warmogs. I didn't buy Cleaver first item though. I imagine being able to actually farm in a lane will make this even stupider, since you essentially get to double dip on every minion you kill in addition to the extra health from Grasp. You want Demolish because you're just gonna turn into a stupid unkillable titan the likes of which would make Cho jealous so being able to threaten with huge tower chunks off having a stupid amount of health is ideal. You can swap out Conditioning for either of the other two items depending on your matchup.

In general tanky initiators who like pressing their R key in a teamfight (Sion, Malphie, etc) are gonna like going Resolve into Sorcery because Transcendence +Ultimate Hat is bonkers good for when your ult kind of makes or breaks a teamfight

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vermain posted:

The reason a lot of games feel like they're completely unwinnable when you're new is because you don't understand entirely when someone is making a mistake, how to force mistakes from them, or how to catch their mistakes when they do happen.

This is a thing I've been trying to get better about capitalizing on, but I'm still not really sure what I'm looking for.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I haven’t really enjoyed a carry besides vayne and ez boy so far this patch. Twitch and Ashe get demolished by Lulu and Bork in general feels terrible because nobody is tanky anyway so you’re just taking forever to kill the enemy mid/ad

also this is from last page but how are you building ashe/her runeset because lethal tempo + q has been a non stop party train for me and as embarrassing as this sounds I am actually Quite Fond of Playing Ashe

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Duskblade into black cleaver spam on Zed is something everyone needs to try. Transcendence is required.

Your mid/late game damage is exactly the same while you have 2k more hp than your standard lethality Zed.

(Also it's nuts on pretty much anyone that uses AD but isn't an adc. The gold efficiency is crazy once you are cdr capped.)

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Twist And Pout! posted:

Duskblade into black cleaver spam on Zed is something everyone needs to try. Transcendence is required.

Your mid/late game damage is exactly the same while you have 2k more hp than your standard lethality Zed.

(Also it's nuts on pretty much anyone that uses AD but isn't an adc. The gold efficiency is crazy once you are cdr capped.)

Gonna try this on panth tomorrow

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

Bleck posted:

This is a thing I've been trying to get better about capitalizing on, but I'm still not really sure what I'm looking for.

Ask your self this every time that you die:

How did that happen?

Do that for a few hundred games and you'll start to see when your monkey opponents do those same dumb bad things.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bleck posted:

The game has been intentionally gated by riot to be specific how you need to win it

1. Win lane and then go help other lanes win their lanes too
2. Win team fights using dragon/Herald
3. After winning team fight, do the baron
4. Use baron to get inhib pressure
5. repeat step 4 until you win

Notice how only one of those steps has anything to do with killing people. If you aren’t feverishly spamming every single move your team needs to make like you’re a commander in Natural Selection then you’re probably not going to win games, because the monkey men you’re paired with in this game have absolutely no idea how to win games. Hell, they barely know how to use all their abilities at the right time. Direct them and tell them what they need to do (Hint: it’s usually just try to force baron).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Monathin posted:

also this is from last page but how are you building ashe/her runeset because lethal tempo + q has been a non stop party train for me and as embarrassing as this sounds I am actually Quite Fond of Playing Ashe

Whatever your building, just sub in press the attack. It just works better ime

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bleck posted:

The two most common kinds of mistakes that people make in this game are positioning mistakes and what I'll broadly call greed mistakes. Greed mistakes are mistakes you make because you're playing disrespectfully, and this is an incredibly easy trap to fall into when you think you've got a lead or you overestimate your survivability. If a team at non-Challenger MMR thinks they've got a game in the bag, their players will tend to start playing more sloppily, banking on their lead carrying them over the finish line. They'll buy fewer Control Wards, they won't attempt to deward as much, they'll cut (moving through a dangerous path to get to a point more quickly) more frequently, and they'll overstay to try and squeeze as much out of their lead as they can. Cutting is one of the most common and easiest to exploit sins, especially if the enemy team has Baron. If you ward up your jungle along the path you expect them to rotate on a 4-1 or 1-3-1, you can potentially catch them on their rotation to another lane in an unwarded spot and use your man advantage and the element of surprise to overcome your gold deficit.

Positioning mistakes are also really common, but they tend to happen regardless of whether you're ahead or not. Positioning mistakes are a lot more difficult to successfully suss out compared to greed mistakes, however, since someone badly positioning could be intentionally doing so in order to bait someone in for a fight they're confident they'll win. Punishing these sorts of mistakes is something that comes with time, because they require snap judgment and good game sense. You have to decide, usually within a second or two, both A) whether your team can successfully follow up on a target you catch without getting dragged into an unwinnable fight and B) whether the out-of-position enemy is bluffing. It's not something you can sit back and think about at length like trying to catch someone cutting.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
this is a good pre season because everyone is so squishie and there is so much damage so extreme absolute unmitigated aggression is rewarded appropriately: see udyr

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rygar201 posted:

Whatever your building, just sub in press the attack. It just works better ime

I haven't tried Press the Attack ashe but I can't imagine it works near as well as lethal tempo + q, especially since Ashe's poke in lane patter boils down to W+Auto (maybe 2 auto) then back off. Lethal tempo helps her get going quicker and Ashe loving loves attack speed.

e: unless all the different arrows from q proc press the attack in which case :laffo:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

lethal tempo kind of sucks.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Work Friend Keven posted:

lethal tempo kind of sucks.

respectfully disagree but i'll try press the attack on ashe for a few games, see how it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

gowb posted:

There should be an expensive boot enchant that gives a red ward every so often

Bring back boot enchantments.

• Locked thread