Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Smiling Jack posted:

I loving hated the peaches redemption arc. Filip also. gently caress that noise

Brainwashed children raised to worship their demigod megacorp solar system dominating ceo father, do stupid things because they believe stupid things in the belief they are doing good by their worship figure.

A story older than the bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What's wrong with the Peaches arc? I kinda like her.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Crazycryodude posted:

What's wrong with the Peaches arc? I kinda like her.

Ditto. One of the things I look forward to the most.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Her redemption is really less from what she did than from Amos just being incredibly stubborn.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 29, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I am so ready for Amos & Peaches: A Post-Apocalyptic Joint to grace my screen. I guess we, in theory, have 2 or 3 more seasons before we are supposed to get to that, but :shrug:

Collateral posted:

Brainwashed children raised to worship their demigod megacorp solar system dominating ceo father, do stupid things because they believe stupid things in the belief they are doing good by their worship figure.

A story older than the bible.

A good synopsis.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AirborneNinja posted:

Will there be a new thread for the next season?

If it hasn't already materialized, I will crank one out once we get an actual premiere date.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AlternateAccount posted:

I will crank one out once we get an actual premiere date.

Me too man, me too. :fap:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the board game last night with the group of people I watch the show with, and it's actually really fun when you figure out the rules! You and 3 other people take the role of power players for various factions with different abilities vying for influence and orbital control, working through a deck of various event cards that covers basically everything from the show. I liked it a lot.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Just finished binge watching season 1 and 2. Haven't been this entertained watching TV in years, and can't wait for season 3.

Is this a popular show? I have never heard anyone talk about it, the only reason i even heard of it in the first place was because i saw a GIF from the show on imgur and wondered what the source of the GIF was from.

(Im just worried we might not get more seasons than s3, or maybe not even that one)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Just finished binge watching season 1 and 2. Haven't been this entertained watching TV in years, and can't wait for season 3.

Is this a popular show? I have never heard anyone talk about it, the only reason i even heard of it in the first place was because i saw a GIF from the show on imgur and wondered what the source of the GIF was from.

(Im just worried we might not get more seasons than s3, or maybe not even that one)

Not really popular in terms of actual ratings but hopefully all the streaming services means it will get a wider audience over time.

I'm also glad that it got a 3rd season despite the weak ratings

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's SyFy's new passion project and gets them good critical-acclaim ala BSG used to and already has another 10 seasons or so of material out in book-form: I think it will get at least 2 more seasons and a better-than-zero chance they finish the series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I think we'll definitely get to the end of Book 3. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get even further given that the first episode mentions the OPA stealing stealth tech. Anyone who has read Book 5 knows what that's some early foreshadowing for, especially since the series has said time and time again that the Protogen conspiracy is Earth-based.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's SyFy's new passion project and gets them good critical-acclaim ala BSG used to and already has another 10 seasons or so of material out in book-form: I think it will get at least 2 more seasons and a better-than-zero chance they finish the series.

Yeah, even if the viewership doesn't quite justify the budget, I could see SyFy (still hate this name) keeping it around as a loss leader. It's probably good for their brand, holistically, to have a prestige scifi drama to point to.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And given that a lot of the physical sets/props/clothing and digital models are already built, isn't it relatively efficient to keep going compared to starting a new series?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pander posted:

And given that a lot of the physical sets/props/clothing and digital models are already built, isn't it relatively efficient to keep going compared to starting a new series?

Pretty sure they also have exclusivity rights that make it more attractive than their other IPs (like Dark Matter :rip: ), as well. The whole "SyFy Originals" label means a lot for their downstream monetization. :homebrew:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pretty sure they also have exclusivity rights that make it more attractive than their other IPs (like Dark Matter :rip: ), as well. The whole "SyFy Originals" label means a lot for their downstream monetization. :homebrew:

Was Dark Matter any good? It seemed fireflyish by description.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Iirc, seasons 3 and 4 are being shot consecutively.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

etalian posted:

Not really popular in terms of actual ratings but hopefully all the streaming services means it will get a wider audience over time.

I'm also glad that it got a 3rd season despite the weak ratings

It has a rating of 8.3 on IMDB, is that not good?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Season 1 of Dark Matter was aggressively mediocre. If you're really hurting for a space adventure with mystery boxes you could do worse. You could also do a lot better though. It was right on the threshold of holding my interest to keep watching it but I haven't yet. I might one day.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pander posted:

Was Dark Matter any good? It seemed fireflyish by description.
A good description. It was a good, fun show. Read the thread if you ever want to find out how jaded goons would've gotten with multiple seasons of Firefly.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Watch Killjoys over Dark Matter IMO

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Phobeste posted:

Watch Killjoys over Dark Matter IMO

I tried to watch the first episode of Killjoys and almost killed myself the music was so terrible.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Dark Matter and Killjoys should have stayed in the late 90s where they belonged

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i watched all of dark matter on netflix when i was sick. i found the second and third seasons to be much better than the first

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ineptitude posted:

It has a rating of 8.3 on IMDB, is that not good?

That's not what he meant by ratings. He meant ratings in the sense of "how many people watch a show," not "how good the people who watch a show think it is."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Dark matter was fine but it took 3 seasons to find its footing and now it's canceled so they aren't going to finish it. Moral of the story is get your poo poo together with your sci-fi shows.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Invalid Validation posted:

Dark matter was fine but it took 3 seasons to find its footing and now it's canceled so they aren't going to finish it. Moral of the story is get your poo poo together with your sci-fi shows.

Not to completely derail, but that kind of is Mallozzi's MO.

If you're looking for something to tide you over to season 3 that is stylistically similar to Expanse, :bsg: is the obvious choice if there is anyone left who hasn't seen it. After that Stargate Universe feels very similar to The Expanse, and DS9/B5 are good, plotty shows if you can handle the 90s aesthetic.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Not to completely derail, but that kind of is Mallozzi's MO.

If you're looking for something to tide you over to season 3 that is stylistically similar to Expanse, :bsg: is the obvious choice if there is anyone left who hasn't seen it. After that Stargate Universe feels very similar to The Expanse, and DS9/B5 are good, plotty shows if you can handle the 90s aesthetic.

I've seen everything here but Stargate & can heartily second those recommendations.

Question of my own: Is it worth jumping straight to Stargate Universe or are the earlier Stargate shows worth watching too? (I assume there aren't SUPER strong plot ties between each...but dunno.)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh no start with SG1 if it's your bag then go to universe. Universe doesn't get good till season 2 and then it's canceled.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SG-1 is an overall great show that basically has just enough of a lighthearted sense of itself that it can do the "exploring brave new worlds" thing without needing contrived space god hand plots or over the top interpersonal dramatic edge. They could also get away with a lot more adult themed crap in the first half of the series than shows usually did in the late 90s/early 2000s because it aired on Showtime, so you get some pretty real human interaction between the characters. Richard Dean Anderson was basically the perfect actor to lead the series.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Is there really anything you need to know about the Stargate series to watch SG:U beyond "Stargates exist"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

Is there really anything you need to know about the Stargate series to watch SG:U beyond "Stargates exist"?

There's a couple of the OG characters in the 1st few episodes to tie it all in, but no, there's no "need". But SG:1 rocked.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And it was laughably bad the first season. Like literally body swap rape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stargate is cool watch all the Stargates.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SG1 is great. The first season definitely has some high points and some (very, very) low points. Luckily the show has enough of a sense of humor to mock some of that poo poo in later seasons. Somewhere around season 8 or so when the entire cast of Farscape shows up and takes over as the main cast it kinda becomes less good though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best thing about SG1 is it never lets itself get too serious. It's aware its a silly show, so it doesn't try to hide that, but at the same time still has good emotional arcs and a lot of character growth.

It was part of those 90s syndicated sci-fi/action shows right? I only watched it in reruns on Space.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MGM sold it to Showtime and simultaneously sold it on a six month delay to syndication. The only reason it survived more than a couple seasons was because Showtime's higher ups thought it was a good show despite ratings being meh in the first couple seasons.

I think here in Canada, Space had it for the entire run.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And starting somewhere around season 7 they were operating under the assumption that whatever season they were currently working on was going to be the last, only finding out it was getting renewed at the last minute, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

bitprophet posted:

I've seen everything here but Stargate & can heartily second those recommendations.

Question of my own: Is it worth jumping straight to Stargate Universe or are the earlier Stargate shows worth watching too? (I assume there aren't SUPER strong plot ties between each...but dunno.)

Universe is complete garbage, and nothing like the other two Stargate series. Start with SG-1, if you really enjoy it, give Atlantis a try, and if you're a masochist who hates good things, start up Universe.

• Locked thread