Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

The Singer getting the 500hp 4.0l flat six

I'm not crazy about that 'blood orange' interior but 2,180lb w 500hp NA in TYOOL 2017, wowow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mother of loving god.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Brake light brake ducting. Word.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Absolutely dig the car, don't even mind the color, but the overall style of those tail lights just don't work for me. I like the ducting but it looks like they had the final design done through an ebay light reseller.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

The exposed shifter linkage is also quickly growing on me

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is with that cage/rollbar?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What is with that cage/rollbar?

I'm quoting from their site, but given the bolts it appears to be:

quote:

Fully integrated roll hoop upholstered in padded leather.

Chassis integrity and roll over security is further enhanced by an optional bolt-in internal roll hoop that recalls the design used in the racing machines of the 1960s and 70s. The roll hoop is correctly padded and upholstered in leather to complement the interior.

The only other option seems to be a full cage (which of course they rec helmet for).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, what I was looking at is just an elaborate brace, not protection:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

thechalkoutline posted:

The Singer getting the 500hp 4.0l flat six

I'm not crazy about that 'blood orange' interior but 2,180lb w 500hp NA in TYOOL 2017, wowow

holy :stare:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oo I like how those harnesses are tucked away.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

thechalkoutline posted:

The exposed shifter linkage is also quickly growing on me

Me, it's making me grow. :haw:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
What kind of deal is this on this 2002 911 cabriot? Good deal, great deal, or terrible deal? I clearly have not tracked the market long enough to know if this is a good price or not.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-porsche-911-carrera/6386408118.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No one wants a cabrio, if you insist find out if the IMS was replaced at an authorized installer, with the old bearing sent for inspection, and find out how long the warranty is from LN directly not the seller, (They will probably be out of business before you can ever make a claim though anyway). $20,000 is no steal but not terrible. I would want to pay 15 if I were buying it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, $16k ish is where I'd expect to see that one. You could probably talk him down.

Speaking of though, why are the cabrio's undesirable? I get that they're not really meant for the track, but how many owners actually track them?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Good info. Thanks.

I insist that my daily be a convertible despite accepting it is not ideal from a performance perspective.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Here in Canadian dollars I've seen anywhere from 18,000$ up to $26,000 for 911's from 1999 up to 2003

Interestingly enough people seem to think a higher mileage car is worth more than a lower mileage car

Reminds me very much of jeep people who think that their precious jeep can not depreciate no matter how old it is

I was watching one 2003 cabrio that the dealer listed for 19,800 had it up for 6 months and dropped the price to 18,800

I just looked again and they 're listed it at 19,800 lol

No one is buying your car because it has had 2 collisions and has 250k km on the clock

I'd offer them 15k for it but the guy was super rude so he meh it can sit and take up space

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Anecdotal evidence points to garage queen 996s having more engine issues. Especially with the IMS.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dave Inc. posted:

Anecdotal evidence points to garage queen 996s having more engine issues. Especially with the IMS.

Right I've read the same thing many times, people prefer a 996 that is/was driven as opposed to just being sat

The technical answer seems to be if you drive it it keeps the bearing lubed naturally.

But the car's I've looked at it looks to be a case of private sellers that think their bone stock 2001 996 is a super special rare car worth 10k above the current asking price

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Kastivich posted:

What kind of deal is this on this 2002 911 cabriot? Good deal, great deal, or terrible deal? I clearly have not tracked the market long enough to know if this is a good price or not.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-porsche-911-carrera/6386408118.html

Honestly that's not too bad of an asking price and if you got it under 19k it would be a good buy imo. The minor stuff he's already taken care of can cost thousands that you might end up paying on a lesser maintained car plus there's always the problem of actually finding exactly what you're looking for without having to travel or shipping. It also has the best C2 wheels already and ported exhausts sound really nice, especially with the top down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You're right, the vast majority of cabs are never tracked. I considered one before my coupe just because they seemed to be 2-3x more available. Drove a couple, seemed to drive and handle OK.. but I just couldn't get over the look and the interior seemed even tighter. The tops also have their own assortment of issues directly top related. I'd only buy a cab if a person wanted cab. If you're on the fence between a cab and a coupe, find/wait for a coupe.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Cabriolet problems - the waterproof membrane in my Boxster roof finally became un-waterproof (it's 11 years old), which I discovered when the alarm went off during a storm and I found an inch of water under the passenger seat. Unfortunately, that's where the control module is located, in a well in the floor that seems almost designed to fill up with water at the first opportunity. So it's now at a workshop being dried out, re-waterproofed and waiting for delivery of a new control module (sometimes they can be dried out and still work, but this one is hosed).
:sigh:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Got my car MOT'd and went across to Porsche. Looking at Boxster S's, there are 6 for sale in the country between 08-12 year reg, ranging from £20k to £35k. Looks like my perfect next car isn't going to happen for awhile because none of them screamed at me spec/price wise.

Almost tempted to go for a TT RS

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This ad was a pretty wild ride:
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/1996-porsche-911car-has-hr/6412832302.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Umm like exploded pieces or wrenched apart at the engine builder pieces?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

-good

- expected

- meh can be looked past

- ..... What ?

And he wants 20k lol I swear these people are living in their own little world

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm fairly set on a Porsche when my Jetta lease is up - I don't really need a daily driver anymore, so just fun stuff now. I don't really want to spend more than 20 grand, so a 911 is most likely out, as much as I want one. I'm thinking a 944/968 or possibly Cayman. I can find loads of cheap 944's on autotrader/CL, but I may snag a nice one on bring a trailer just so I don't have to deal with any bullshit.

I'm mainly looking for a 944S, S2, Turbo or 968, mostly because a base SOHC won't be much quicker than my Miata.

I've driven a first gen Cayman S and it was incredibly fun, but the mid engine seems like a massive PITA to work on.

What are the major things I should look out for? I also have a garage so working on it won't be a big deal, but I want to find something nearly 100% sorted - miles don't scare me at all, as long as it's been maintained.

Main usage will be road trips, back road ripping, and track days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Voltage posted:

but I may snag a nice one on bring a trailer just so I don't have to deal with any bullshit.

Be careful with BaT, as it's very much buyer beware. You're buying a car sight unseen, so have to trust the word of the seller as far as maintenance and documentation.
Some cars have excellent documentation and are obviously well taken care of.
Others have fantastic pictures and sleazy car salesmen pumping up the sale.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Can't you get a 996 in that range? Do that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

gvibes posted:

Can't you get a 996 in that range? Do that.

Two 996s sold for <20k with LN IMS bearings on BaT in the past week. I think they might have a bit more decline left.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've driven a 1999 996 and it was incredibly fun and felt super solid, but it's just so ugly and the interior is total trash but I would consider one (esp a turbo) for the right price. I would also need a totally new shifter since they have the ugliest knob ever fitted to a car imo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Voltage posted:

I would also need a totally new shifter since they have the ugliest knob ever fitted to a car imo.

*slams on the brakes for the 'consider a C5' bandwagon*

Honestly, I don't let the blase 996 interior bother me -- 986s look the same, and I did own that C5 for more than a year.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Voltage posted:

I've driven a 1999 996 and it was incredibly fun and felt super solid, but it's just so ugly and the interior is total trash but I would consider one (esp a turbo) for the right price. I would also need a totally new shifter since they have the ugliest knob ever fitted to a car imo.

You're a monster. The interior really isn't that bad. I had the same wrong opinion for a long time but it grew on me then after buying one it's not something I ever notice. Also I have a poorly set up alcantara 997 knob that's pretty nice but have a nicer 996 GT3 knob sitting in a box on my counter that actually fits correctly.

For actually DDing a 996 would make a nice choice, it's a good compromise between the slower but balanced 968 and supercar 996TT that also is in a very attractive price range right now. The 968 is undoubtedly better for actually carrying stuff though because that hatch is huge and awesome.

kimbo how's the 996 working out for you so far?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

kimbo305 posted:

*slams on the brakes for the 'consider a C5' bandwagon*

Ok second worst shifter, holy crap.

Maybe I just need to go drive a 996 again, since it looks like you can get a really nice one for right around 20k. Even nice 997's are under 30! I can't believe how much more even the shittiest air cooled is over a decent-to-quite nice 996/997.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Voltage posted:

Ok second worst shifter, holy crap.

Maybe I just need to go drive a 996 again, since it looks like you can get a really nice one for right around 20k. Even nice 997's are under 30! I can't believe how much more even the shittiest air cooled is over a decent-to-quite nice 996/997.

Why not both, I have a 2 for 1 on a 996 and 968! Deal of the century!

:q:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm one of those wrong people who dislike the 996 and 986 interior, but it's mostly from pictures. I drove a friends 986 around a few years back and while it really bugged me in photos it was much more tolerable in person. I think you'd be able to get used to it without much trouble.

The 997 and 987 is an interior I really like though so I've been sticking to 987 boxsters for now, if you want a convertible I picked my last one up for $16k for an 08 base with mid 80k ish miles so they can be had fairly cheaply.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

kimbo how's the 996 working out for you so far?

No issues; but keep in mind I drive the car once a week. It's gonna snow this weekend and I'll have to get all the snow off of it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Bajaha posted:

I'm one of those wrong people who dislike the 996 and 986 interior, but it's mostly from pictures. I drove a friends 986 around a few years back and while it really bugged me in photos it was much more tolerable in person. I think you'd be able to get used to it without much trouble.

The 997 and 987 is an interior I really like though so I've been sticking to 987 boxsters for now, if you want a convertible I picked my last one up for $16k for an 08 base with mid 80k ish miles so they can be had fairly cheaply.

Yeah the 996 interior is perfectly fine when you're in it. And I'd rather be in that than a 968 for sure. I think I'd also rather work on the 996 than the 968. Plus it's a flat six, I mean c'mon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The 996 exhaust sounds super tame, tbh. One of the more disappointing aspects of the car.

Another one went for <20k today. Prices seem to be slightly trending down but probably close to the bottom of the curve:
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/996/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

The 996 exhaust sounds super tame, tbh. One of the more disappointing aspects of the car.

Another one went for <20k today. Prices seem to be slightly trending down but probably close to the bottom of the curve:
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/996/

Just spend a hundo and have a muffler shop do the gundo hack. The PO of my 996 did something similar and it sounds really good considering the cost but I also haven't heard a stock one either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If.... WHEN I finally get my 996 next year the first thing in doing is a complete exhaust or hack , And maybe a few body bits to make it look more aggressive

And a wrap

Mmm