Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Two people I know at CrossFit were talking about that this morning, but for HUMANS.

I was like "what the gently caress you pay money for this?"

Apparently yeah, $35 a pop.
There is high intersection between these two things. The CrossFit community and the, "Why would you loving pay for some stupid bullshit?" community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Don't be rhabdophobic.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Higgy posted:

Business Idea: Cloud-enabled horses.

Horses are cloud-enabled by default.

They also get tiny harps.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Tales Of Desire posted:

Maybe there's some cash in inventing lasering booths. Just put on eye protection and wave your body part in front of the laser. If you can operate a self-checkout, you can be your own laser therapist.

This DQ's 75% of America.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Hoodwinker posted:

There is high intersection between these two things. The CrossFit community and the, "Why would you loving pay for some stupid bullshit?" community.

Yup that's a pot meet kettle of situation if I do say so myself

I'm surprised this was only pointed out four posts later rather than immediately

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

quote:

I basically fell for https://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-impersonation-scam-target-college-students-nonexistent-federal-student-tax/ except I did not realize I was paying for gift cards; I thought I was buying "corporate bonds". My bank is not willing to reimburse me for losing money in fraud even though I filled a report to IC3 because I "willingly" paid for the cards despite coercion or deception. To be fair, I was and probably still am an idiot. But I lost the money I got from work and financial aid that I needed to pay for school and housing. So I need some way to minimize my losses.
Also, is there any place where I can read up on scams so I can protect myself in the future and can inform others? And my driver license number was exposed; what should I do to protect myself?
TLDR: I panicked and paid in almost $8000 worth in Apple gift cards. Is there anyway to recover that amount and/or what frugal things can I do as student?

I'd make a comment if people are really this gullible but people buy horses so...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Photex posted:

I'd make a comment if people are really this gullible but people buy horses so...

Senior journalism major. Should be suing her school for fraud.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
On the one hand I get the sentiment that :smug:: "why would you pay to work out when you can just pick up rocks in your back yard and put them down and bicycle to and from work like MMM to stay in shape" is valid and appropriate but on the other hand staying healthy with exercise is long-term GWL, there are dumber things to spend our discretionary income on and I quite like the accountability and rigor of an 0500 group HIIT workout so these classes are sort of a good fit for that mindset.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Personal leisure/enrichment pursuits are not BWM if you can afford them, whatever they may be.

Now, hitching yourself to someone who makes $300 a week, has a disabled child but can't figure out how to get disability assistance, and has four student loans? That's very much BWM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7cuxu2/gf_is_horrible_with_money_has_horrid_credit_i/ posted:

I have a g/f of 1.5 years. She has no idea how to handle money and doesn't really make that much. She has a lot of debt and has no hope of recovering quickly by herself. I have a credit score >700 and make decent money.
Details:
She makes $10 an hour, typically around 30 hours a week. She is currently looking for a different job.
She has a 4 year old son who has some disabilities(not mine). She blames his problems on CMV when he was born. Effectively hes where I would think an 18-24 month old should be at 4 years. He is mostly deaf in left ear and poor hearing in right. He doesn't talk and barely understands what you say. He is not potty trained and still in diapers. He has seizures regularly. She is trying to get disability but nothing has come in.
She has 4 student loans(yes 4) but no college degree. One was for schooling for becoming a pharmacy tech, passed the course but failed the test 3 times. Another for ITT tech which she dropped when she became pregnant. Another for Ashford University which she didn't complete due to taking care of her son. And yet another for another online school that she dropped when she was getting a divorce from her ex.
She has an eviction on her record. The story from my understanding is she was living with her ex husband, they were both on the lease, she separated from ex, she moved back to her parent's house, he stopped paying the rent, was eventually evicted, eviction was put on both their records since both were on lease.
She has a car that is paid off but is in dire need of repair(service engine light, service car light, brake light, abs light, traction control light are all on). She tried to buy a different car but ended up getting fired from her job and got behind paying for it(honestly I don't know how she expected to pay it with her job but I was too new to relationship to really get into financial details) as a result it got repo-ed. She used to have another new car but her father was driving it and got into an accident. It was totaled and they didn't have gap coverage and from my understanding the loan defaulted because the totaled car was not worth re-possessing and according to her it "was not worth paying" since the car was totaled.
I don't know of any credit cards or similar debt she has. Not saying she doesn't have any just that I don't know of any.
All that said I don't know her exact credit score but with 4 student loans, an eviction, 2 car repos, and whatever other minor debt she accumulated.
I on the other hand have a ~730 credit score. I do have about 3 4 grand in credit card debt that I'm working to pay off due to extenuating circumstances. I make about 23 an hour, live in an apartment that I pay basically all the expenses(I do have a room mate, long story, he doesn't pay as much as he should and will move out in 4 months). I afford my lifestyle with a comfortable buffer.
Is there any hope I can help her recover if I take the relationship more seriously? I will obviously have to be the one to handle the money and make the budgets and everything but is this recoverable? Is her situation so far destroyed its helpless to try to help her? If her situation is not recoverable is it possible to live off my credit alone without bringing her credit into the equation? We are not planning any major purchases which would require credit I am just forward thinking. Based purely on financial situation is this a horrible decision to get myself into(not looking for relationship advice just financial)?
TL;DR - Am I loving myself by getting hosed? :-D

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I hope someone can intervene on behalf of the four-year-old.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

werdnam posted:

I hope someone can intervene on behalf of the four-year-old.

That woman had better be just the best thing in bed because you couldn't stack up more bad luck and bad decisions if you tried. That's like the financial equivalent of comically stumbling through a crowded restaurant with a stack of cream pies and dropping them on the Queen of England.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

That woman had better be just the best thing in bed because you couldn't stack up more bad luck and bad decisions if you tried. That's like the financial equivalent of comically stumbling through a crowded restaurant with a stack of cream pies and dropping them on the Queen of England.

They never are. My manager's son married a woman pregnant with another man's child, who was in jail. He then adopted the kid and abandoned them both after one year. None of the people involved looked good and I'm going to go out on a limb and say a six month pregnant woman is not good in bed.

And if you're keeping score at home, that means the son is now legally responsible for the kid. The real father just got out of having to pay child support.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Krispy Wafer posted:

They never are. My manager's son married a woman pregnant with another man's child, who was in jail. He then adopted the kid and abandoned them both after one year. None of the people involved looked good and I'm going to go out on a limb and say a six month pregnant woman is not good in bed.

And if you're keeping score at home, that means the son is now legally responsible for the kid. The real father just got out of having to pay child support.

15% of what you make working in the prison cafeteria isn't much.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Jesus that's a sad story. Congenital CMV is no joke.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let that be a lesson to us all. Never adopt. Not kids, not better manners, not a new operating system for your home computer. Nothing.

Never adopt.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That is the saddest story all around. That child is profoundly disabled and his mom is dumb as a brick, this country is a dystopian loving nightmare.

The pharmacy tech test is stupid easy. I sat for that test with ~1.5 years of pharmacy cashier experience and whatever knowledge I picked up from picking people's brains. I hadn't done proper tech work yet because I had just turned 18 when I sat for it and I didn't even take the company prep course. I finished the exam in 1/3 the time allotted for it.

I'm not saying that to toot my own horn, I'm saying that someone who can't pass that test in three tries after taking an actual go-into-debt-to-pay-for-this class probably has learning disabilities and needs, you know, assistance. I was the highest paid tech in my store and the max I ever made as a tech was just under $16/hr so it's not something you should ever take a class for anyway.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't see her ever having a chance to get out of this giant and increasing hole. He can leave, but she's essentially stuck with little hope of fixing things at this point and with a child who will need long term care and help :smith:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Hey everyone I just wanted to drop by the thread to remind you of the Republican Party's constant efforts to slash Medicaid funding, the source of money that is largely responsible for taking care of chronically ill, disabled, and indigent children in this country!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
She wouldve been better off getting in massive medical debt treating her child. A kid that age needs to be fitted for a hearing aid and get speech therapy. At the very least tech him ASL.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Hey everyone I just wanted to drop by the thread to remind you of the Republican Party's constant efforts to slash Medicaid funding, the source of money that is largely responsible for taking care of chronically ill, disabled, and indigent children in this country!

Actually, disability falls under social security....

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

rotaryfun posted:

But when they end up in a nursing home/rehab/other health facility it's Medicaid that's billed for the care.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

ACTUALLY this is like saying that medicare doesn't take care of old people because social security ******ACTUALLY****** does that

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Yes, lets get mad at a welfare system in place instead of the lovely parent that can't take care of their sick child of which we no nothing about the steps she's gone through or not to get aid.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

NancyPants posted:

That is the saddest story all around. That child is profoundly disabled and his mom is dumb as a brick, this country is a dystopian loving nightmare.

The pharmacy tech test is stupid easy. I sat for that test with ~1.5 years of pharmacy cashier experience and whatever knowledge I picked up from picking people's brains. I hadn't done proper tech work yet because I had just turned 18 when I sat for it and I didn't even take the company prep course. I finished the exam in 1/3 the time allotted for it.

I'm not saying that to toot my own horn, I'm saying that someone who can't pass that test in three tries after taking an actual go-into-debt-to-pay-for-this class probably has learning disabilities and needs, you know, assistance. I was the highest paid tech in my store and the max I ever made as a tech was just under $16/hr so it's not something you should ever take a class for anyway.

I administer pharmacy tech exams, and can vouch for this. Plenty of people fail, but most just needed a "hrmmm I should probably study next time" wake-up call.

If you fail that thing three times in a row, however, you should cross your fingers for diagnosable learning disabilities, because the alternative is that you're a Grade A gently caress-up.

edit: To be clear, I'm not slagging off this woman for not having time to study. Sick kid is #1 priority; I get that. But signing up for a third test after she'd failed twice, having still not made the time to study properly, and having not achieved any new level of content mastery... well that there would be some BWM/BWL poo poo.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 14, 2017

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Yes, lets get mad at a welfare system in place instead of the lovely parent that can't take care of their sick child of which we no nothing about the steps she's gone through or not to get aid.

quote:

The son is getting medical attention. He does get Medicare.

To get actual disability money for him though last time she applied she needed proof of care for 6 seizures in 6 months in order to get approval for cmv. Most of the time his seizures don't require medical care(it's over in 2 or 3 minutes, give him some Tylenol, keep him cool, have him lay down and relax and he'll be fine). As a result he she didn't have proof of medical care and got denied.

Nah you can blame the system

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

You can still go to the hospital when it happens. That creates paperwork. Paperwork is proof of medical care. I don't understand the hard stop here.

I've taken my child to the hospital because of a seizure. Just because she stopped having the seizure, did not mean I turned the car around and went home.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
She had four years to get assistance for her child. Hospitals have social workers specifically to assist with obtaining services for people in her situation.

If she lived in California, she'd definitely have her kid qualify for medi Cal and First 5 among other services.

The depressing thing is that if that kid was in foster care, all his medical expenses would be covered till 18 and he'd be classified as medically fragile which would give the foster parents additional money on top of fostering. If they adopted him, they'd continue to receive this money depending on the severity of the disability.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

rotaryfun posted:

You can still go to the hospital when it happens. That creates paperwork. Paperwork is proof of medical care. I don't understand the hard stop here.

I've taken my child to the hospital because of a seizure. Just because she stopped having the seizure, did not mean I turned the car around and went home.

Congratulations on your enormous levels of privilege, I hope you keep enjoying them.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jesus Christ.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Lots of smart white men with decent earnings, strong support networks and cool rationality totally unable to empathize with a woman who is probably at least learning disabled if not actually mildly intellectually disabled having to work part time minimum wage with lovely benefits unable to find the time to take her child serially to the hospital month after month for his countless seizures and obvious congenital abnormalities and get the ball rolling on the years-long process of getting him all the help he'll need in the WEALTHIEST COUNTRY IN THE HISTORY OF THE EARTH IN 2018.

I swear to God I thought I'd never want her back but y'all need a taste of Tiny Bronto on this one.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Or instead of having their dumb rigid system that wastes even more money with unnecessary care that will likely stress out the child and mother, they could talk to the kid's doctors and figure out that the problem is legitimate. Yeah she should jump through the bullshit hoops to get money, but saying she's a lovely parent is really callous.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sorry to try to deter from the derail of whether Crossfit is a waste of money, I suppose. The BWM one in this story is the guy for thinking at $23 an hour he can save someone in such a deep financial hole, this wasn't about whether the situation of the kid is just (it's not).

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on your enormous levels of privilege, I hope you keep enjoying them.

So I'm thinking this is common sense. Correct my thought here. Why is this privilege and not common sense?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Inept posted:

Or instead of having their dumb rigid system that wastes even more money with unnecessary care that will likely stress out the child and mother, they could talk to the kid's doctors and figure out that the problem is legitimate. Yeah she should jump through the bullshit hoops to get money, but saying she's a lovely parent is really callous.

So I can actually confirm to you that they do. My wife has been part of a 6 month process to get herself on disability. In which time she was assigned a case worker from social security and review group that contacted her doctors to verify appointments / surgeries / medical conditions / etc... what you are saying does already happen.

Look I'm not saying it's perfect. I'm not even saying it's great. I'm just saying that it's there and for her to not pursue it is not the fault of the system in place.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2017

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Tales Of Desire posted:

Now, you can book a session with your laser-friendly vet or random laser therapist, or you can buy your own. Lasers can cost up to 26k for the priciest FDA-approved models, or they start at $575 if you don't care about pesky regulations

Bad With Money: Unregulated Horse Lasers

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

what you are saying does already happen.

Sounds like it didn't happen for her. Again, system's fault if it went as she said. Not her being a lovely parent.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Inept posted:

Sounds like it didn't happen for her. Again, system's fault if it went as she said. Not her being a lovely parent.

It can't happen if you give your kid Tylenol and wait for them to cool down instead of going to the hospital... is all my point is.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

It can't happen if you give your kid Tylenol and wait for them to cool down instead of going to the hospital... is all my point is.

And my point is that if the doctors can confirm the kid has regular seizures then making them go to the hospital is a waste of time.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

beep boop going to the hospital costs money that poor people do not possess beep boop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I just gotta wonder if perhaps a person that managed to rack up 4 student loans with nothing to show for it might not be making all the best decisions for their child's care. Which is why it is so important site talks to a social worker who can walk her through the process.