Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of like the long version because the actual short short version is "poo poo is very hosed and the bus is being driven off a cliff by a cackling blind man eating his own eyeballs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The news.com version of the piece also doesn't have the tech industry wank at the end.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The news.com version of the piece also doesn't have the tech industry wank at the end.

Yeah, that article was pretty good until that and when started going on about how many pieces of legislation gets passed. At that point I pretty quickly lost the will to read the rest of it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Techbros are cancer.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/NickMcKim/status/930298917886947328

does this have any teeth at all???

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Probably not in practical terms but it's another skidmark on Trumpbull's "legacy".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

The book is being run by Derryn Hinch staffer Glenn Druery
I hadn't realised that was where he ended up.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Very long and brutal takedown of the Australian economy: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/australias-economy-house-cards-matt-barrie/

He's the CEO of Freelancer so he gets a bit tiresome when he segways into free market stuff for a few paragraphs but other then that it's pretty solid.

e: He has an overly rosy view of tech companies as well
Wow, we really have been failed by the boomers

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

10am tommorow is the announcement for the SSM Referendum, expect your feeds to explode at that time.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Just finished watching the Four Corners about the Liberal party fragmentation. I wonder what the short- and long-term impact would be if the Liberals do break up, or have the RWNJs (at least half the party?) split off and join the Australian Conservatives or ONP. Would this be a good thing for left-wing politics? Having a less coordinated/concentrated opposition might result in sustained electoral successes for Labor. Alternatively it might result in a power struggle over the right-wing of politics and if the RWNJs win then a Labor/Conservatives landscape might see the Overton Window shift even further to the right. Also is there a possibility for the centre-most Liberals to find a home in the Labor party and thereby influence them (perhaps bolstering the numbers of Labor Unity)?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine that since the Liberals would burn in hell rather than hammer out reasonable compromises with Labor, they'd be forced into a situation where rather than the relative centrists of the Libs being able to force the extreme rights to vote the party line, Liberal governments would have to grant them horrible concessions all the drat time.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

AgentF posted:

Just finished watching the Four Corners about the Liberal party fragmentation. I wonder what the short- and long-term impact would be if the Liberals do break up, or have the RWNJs (at least half the party?) split off and join the Australian Conservatives or ONP. Would this be a good thing for left-wing politics? Having a less coordinated/concentrated opposition might result in sustained electoral successes for Labor. Alternatively it might result in a power struggle over the right-wing of politics and if the RWNJs win then a Labor/Conservatives landscape might see the Overton Window shift even further to the right. Also is there a possibility for the centre-most Liberals to find a home in the Labor party and thereby influence them (perhaps bolstering the numbers of Labor Unity)?
I think it'd look more like the UK with the moderate liberals becoming like the Lib Dems.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for October:

loving Uber

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There was a story on 7:30 tonight about the Julie Bishop Glorious Foundation and it was seriously weird: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-14/sally-zou-mining-magnate-liberal-party-donor/9125672

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder what government's going to finally keel over first, the Australian LNP or UK Tories.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thh-gxNdukw

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

I imagine that since the Liberals would burn in hell rather than hammer out reasonable compromises with Labor, they'd be forced into a situation where rather than the relative centrists of the Libs being able to force the extreme rights to vote the party line, Liberal governments would have to grant them horrible concessions all the drat time.

Considering this is basically already happening, yeah.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

I wonder what government's going to finally keel over first, the Australian LNP or UK Tories.

LNP by sheer virtue of the fact they have to go to an election sometime around next August.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

AgentF posted:

I think it will be a double edged sword for ordinary people. Labor will have an easier time of getting elected because they can rightly point to the disunity within the LNP and the hosed up policies that'll be demanded by the right, but when the ALP inevitably fucks up and gets voted out it'll be pretty terrible for everyone when the right wing gets its hands on government too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What could all this be about?

quote:

Has the VCE English exam been hijacked by Greens party propaganda?

Parents who have contacted the opposition's education spokesman Tim Smith believe so, prompting the Kew MP to criticise the exam's focus on "Green-left issues".

"Instead of discussing the brilliance of Shakespeare we are reduced to looking at plastic bags and a Green-left world view," he said.

"I had a number of concerns raised with me by parents with regards to the subliminal political ideology that was evident in the English exam, particularly around the emphasis on green schemes. One parent said 'has this been taken out of the Greens' party political pamphlet?' "
Oh

quote:

Part C of the popular exam, which was sat by more than 43,000 students earlier this month, asked students to analyse a newsletter written by a fictional principal who despised excessive packaging.

What a bunch of loving snowflakes

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

That doomsaying article misses a few key points so I’m not terribly worried about it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
God, I hope the 'yes' vote gets through. It'd be a start.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Les Affaires posted:

That doomsaying article misses a few key points so I’m not terribly worried about it.

What are the points? I don't know much about national economic matters

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

What could all this be about?

Oh

What a bunch of loving snowflakes

I love how every time they're :kingsley: they bring up Shakespeare because none of them are even really informed enough to mention anything but literature's stereotypical mascot in popular culture.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
:siren: ONE HOUR :siren:

:f5::f5:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sadly I'll be at a team building day when scumfucks like Abetz get told to go jump but I'll be looking forward to catching up on the thread believe you me

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

40 minutes my dudes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No matter the result. Remember that the Liberal Party will tear itself apart violently and publicly.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

No matter the result. Remember that the Liberal Party will tear itself apart violently and publicly.
What if it's a No result

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

bowmore posted:

What if it's a No result

Then the polls will collapse and they will year themselves apart

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Where do I watch the live stream of the announcement?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

news 24?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

AlphaDog posted:

ABC 24 has stuff.

Reminder that Ireland's referendum passed SSM with 62.07%. Polls suggest 63-64% here, I'm, so sure we can do better!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This is loving nuts man.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Coucho Marx posted:

ABC 24 has stuff.

I've never watched news from where I am right now because I don't have a TV here.

Is this the right place to watch online? http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-news-24/NS1413V001S00

I usually just follow stuff in text if I'm not at home, but I want to watch this live.

edit: Yes it is.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 14, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Would love to be down the street at the Adelaide party for the announcement (despite the pouring rain I'm sure it will still be great) but have a meeting dead on 9.30. :(

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hoping for a huge huge yes win and then the subsequent comical collapse of the LNP.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Youtube stream for those of us outside of Aus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvMpdOckR8

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
%69 Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This would be the nicest result honestly.

• Locked thread