Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
All the discussion of how the weapons feel bad is making me laugh because everyone loves Quake 3 and those are like, my exact complaints with it. The guns just feel lovely to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

haveblue posted:

I always loved just how many different options and modes they crammed into the Eightball. Rockets or grenades, guided or unguided, single shot or burst up to 6, spread or cluster.

It's amazing how much functionality they crammed into two buttons, and every UT rocket launcher that doesn't have all that just makes things worse for the series.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Half-Life's 19 this month so I've been playing through the whole series. Love it to pieces. I kind of forgot how funny it can be too, in this seemingly effortless way that's the complete opposite of something like Borderlands :barf:

"Okay Freeman! Be....adequate!"

"What the hell does that mean?"

"I dunno. Sounds like something the Vortigaunts would say."

Lots of great lines.

"Hrmm. A Combine zombie. That's like a...a....zombine! Get it? Zombine??... :( Okay...."

The music has been good the whole series but Episode Two really knocked it out of the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CndlJT2GM

This poo poo is fresh as hell.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 14, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The music has been good the whole series but Episode Two really knocked it out of the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64CndlJT2GM

This poo poo is fresh as hell.

That is absolutely a fantastic track, but I think my favourite is always the good-yet-simple tracks, like CP Violation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjJmvANWn8

That riff always pops into my head whenever I think of anything HL-related.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

The best Half-Life song wasn't even made by Valve.

edit: The whole series does have good music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUSGruuHpY

The spot in Black Mesa at which that song plays is just fantastic regardless

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTmiYA5D4k

The best Half-Life song wasn't even made by Valve.

edit: The whole series does have good music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faUSGruuHpY

The spot in Black Mesa at which that song plays is just fantastic regardless

That first song is the only one off the entire BM soundtrack I dislike! v:shobon:v

It's awesome otherwise though. One of my favs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFkVsvW7dRA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That is absolutely a fantastic track, but I think my favourite is always the good-yet-simple tracks, like CP Violation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjJmvANWn8

That riff always pops into my head whenever I think of anything HL-related.

Hearing that for the first time was such a great moment. Another good one from HL2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DNVMxMwwqY

I think I gravitate towards the soundtrack for the HL2 Episodes because it finally feels like Kelly Bailey absolutely nailing that tasty Half Life sound. Chunky riffs, echoey drum and bass, weird synths that wouldn't sound out of place on a Trent Reznor soundtrack.

Edit: How could I forget this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-FN2WZnaAM

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 14, 2017

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally, I just wanna know what stock music "Adrenaline Horror" uses, because I've heard those exact string/horn stings from the start and around 1:00 in other media, so I just know it has to be stock music from something.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Most of the stock music from the first Half-Life comes from sample CD's from the 90's. Check it yo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odXWmLYHiWQ&t=2s The source for that one you're looking for is in Part II.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 14, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Keiya posted:

All the discussion of how the weapons feel bad is making me laugh because everyone loves Quake 3 and those are like, my exact complaints with it. The guns just feel lovely to use.

honestly I don't get the whole boner for that game when compared to the others. The gunfeel is like typewriters and feedback is a little weird because the hit sound is so strange. It also doesn't help that it's also the loosest of the quake games, and in turn feels like ice skating around with zero friction. I'd get into the art direction too but I haven't played it in so long that I can't remember all my complaints about it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I did a similar thing and played through HL1, HL2, and EP1 a few months ago. I finally lost momentum about halfway through EP2 and haven't had the will to go back and finish it.

I don't think I've beaten Episode 2 since it came out in 07, actually...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've never beaten Episode 2. Lost all my momentum during the climactic "defeat like 9 Striders" defense fight, never went back to actually do it (even now armed with the knowledge that the little tripod robot things that I always found to be spongy ammo sinks are super weak to the Gravity Gun, which would probably serve me quite well in a replay).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I like Half Life a lot, especially back when it was new, but replaying it kinda slogs anytime it wants to make you do puzzles. Even if I totally forget the solution I just stopped finding puzzles between majority of fun gunplay kinda boring.

I have Lost Coast but never played it but I think that's like 90% puzzles. I can replay combat challenges as many times as I want apparently but puzzle stuff gets real tiring for me. Why I can't really replay Portal games even though they basically got me interested in more puzzle games.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My main complaint about UT2k4 is that they replaced the impact hammer with the shield gun, which always felt kind of limp wristed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ularg posted:

I have Lost Coast but never played it but I think that's like 90% puzzles.
It's a tech demo that takes something like 20 minutes to complete.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Keiya posted:

I'm not the voice of authority on Quake 3 because I primarily played it with bots growing up (dial-up internet, no connection in my room) but part of Quake 3's appeal seemed to be the (potential) austerity of it all. Kind of like how some of the community's more prominent competitive players would tweak settings/variables until all detail and atmosphere was removed from the game, and then they'd run routes with scientific precision. You ever see some of those competitive videos? It's like a pair of robots going at it, memorizing every pickup, timing, route, etc. There's an art to it, but goddamn if it didn't appeal to me at all.

In that sense, it makes sense that Quake 3's weapons are just treated as..."tools"...a method of delivering DPS to targets under appropriate conditions. The less flair and uncertainty, the better. I'm sure there are people out there who would have (did?) remove the weapon models just to afford more screen space and fewer distracting elements.

I've always enjoyed UT'99 more because, to me, the game had a lot more personality and less emphasis on avoiding suboptimal tools/strategies. It was more about going nuts with all sorts of weapons in a plethora of game modes, and the built-in mutators just added to that silly, erratic dynamic. The guns felt really great to use and still look good to me (in their special, ugly way) to this day. Is the rocket launcher the best weapon to use in this situation? Who knows, but it's sure as hell fun to rain unpredictable grenades down on the opposing team's fort with reckless abandon, or make a last stand with a pair of Enforcer pistols.

Basically, UT'99 always felt like playing go-carts with a group of friends, and Quake 3 always felt more like a group of Formula 1 racers trying to shave thousandths of a second off of their runs.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 15, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Basically, UT'99 always felt like playing go-carts with a group of friends, and Quake 3 always felt more like a group of Formula 1 racers trying to shave thousandths of a second off of their runs.
Yeah, I think Q3 was Carmack at the height of his influence. Anything he didn't deem necessary for a game was unceremoniously dropped (including the single player!) which leaves you with a very precise & perfect but ultimately sterile game. The mechanics might not have been as polished in UT99 but it was just way more fun.

I feel like with Doom 3 he didn't care quite as much and let others influence the game design a bit more (he originally didn't want ragdoll deaths because he thought they were superfluous), but by this point the soul of the old id was already gone.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

david_a posted:

Yeah, I think Q3 was Carmack at the height of his influence. Anything he didn't deem necessary for a game was unceremoniously dropped (including the single player!) which leaves you with a very precise & perfect but ultimately sterile game. The mechanics might not have been as polished in UT99 but it was just way more fun.

I feel like with Doom 3 he didn't care quite as much and let others influence the game design a bit more (he originally didn't want ragdoll deaths because he thought they were superfluous), but by this point the soul of the old id was already gone.

That would explain why the ragdolls in doom three suck then.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Even back then, I remember being immensely disappointed with how Doom 3's corpses simply evaporated into dust and ember.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Wow Carmack really shouldn't be allowed within 100 ft of game design.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Quake 3's game design was headed up by Graeme Devine, who had been in the multiplayer-focused design headspace for a long time beforehand working on a cancelled project called Extreme Warfare.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Klaus88 posted:

That would explain why the ragdolls in doom three suck then.
The ragdolls in Doom 3 were perfectly good for the time. I remember seeing the E3 demo in... 2002?... and everyone gasped approvingly at a part when a zombie is shot and its corpse sort of slides down some stairs.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Perfectly good until you saw Half-Life 2's ragdolls

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Linguica posted:

The ragdolls in Doom 3 were perfectly good for the time. I remember seeing the E3 demo in... 2002?... and everyone gasped approvingly at a part when a zombie is shot and its corpse sort of slides down some stairs.

A ragdoll with 10 points of (stiff) articulation rotating in the air while evil laughter plays was the height of videogaming terror back in 2003.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The True Original Authentic Ragdoll Experience was when you dragged a nude corpse through a hallway while half a dozen angry mafia members shouted "Weapon! He packing!" And then one of the arms got caught on a door and the whole body started trembling and vibrating violently like a wet, possessed noodle. And for some reason it's impossible to move now. You just wanted to throw it in the garbage before you got caught but now you've got to fill up a whole Chinese restaurant with more vibrating rubber-corpses.

Hitman Codename 47 (2000)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hitman 1 was really ahead of its time with ragdolls and cool factor. I loved that the first mission, the typical sniping from a roof could be made from different spots and in one you could avoid the chopper that came afterwards for you. Or even kill the gunner and leg it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
What's the first game with ragdolls? Was it Hitman? That was the first time I saw it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The True Original Authentic Ragdoll Experience was when you dragged a nude corpse through a hallway while half a dozen angry mafia members shouted "Weapon! He packing!" And then one of the arms got caught on a door and the whole body started trembling and vibrating violently like a wet, possessed noodle. And for some reason it's impossible to move now. You just wanted to throw it in the garbage before you got caught but now you've got to fill up a whole Chinese restaurant with more vibrating rubber-corpses.

Hitman Codename 47 (2000)

The best ragdolls were in Oblivion because sometimes when you killed a character with a tail (like the cat and lizard people), it would destroy the geometry of the world, tearing the veil of reality and then hounds of Tindalos would emerge from your screen. Pretty cool effect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

To read David Kushner tell it, Carmack needed Romero, and Romero needed Carmack.

Also, speaking of ragdoll physics, the best I've ever seen was in Red Dead Redemption, where Rockstar had the perfect blend of mocap and ragdoll. There's one shot from the trailer of the first game (and I know I've mentioned this before) where someone charges into the saloon, gets shot, and then doubles over with their forward momentum. However, there's a table near them that they end up hitting, and that makes them bend at the waist, slam down on it, and then slide off quickly.

I see that, and then think about both Goldeneye (heavily mocapped animations) and Half Life 2 (combine was full-on ragdoll when killed) and RDR/Rockstar just mixed both schools of work together so perfectly.

I never played The Force Unleashed, but I guess they also used the Euphoria physics engine to do the same thing, which I guess was apparent when you force-push a bunch of stormtroopers.

I don't care how much videogames advance, THAT system needs to stay, because it's already goddamned perfect. :allears:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Best implementation of ragdolls is in Dark Souls where enemies turn into fun toys for you to play with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The best ragdolls were in Oblivion because sometimes when you killed a character with a tail (like the cat and lizard people), it would destroy the geometry of the world, tearing the veil of reality and then hounds of Tindalos would emerge from your screen. Pretty cool effect.

Gotta show my appreciation for this post; I lost my poo poo at the Hounds of Tindalos reference.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Guillermus posted:

Hitman 1 was really ahead of its time with ragdolls and cool factor. I loved that the first mission, the typical sniping from a roof could be made from different spots and in one you could avoid the chopper that came afterwards for you. Or even kill the gunner and leg it.

That first mission really was cool. Up the lift, assemble your rifle, shoot the dude, drop the rifle, leave. It did a really good job of making you feel like a hitman from a movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Toilet Rascal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, speaking of ragdoll physics, the best I've ever seen was in Red Dead Redemption, where Rockstar had the perfect blend of mocap and ragdoll. There's one shot from the trailer of the first game (and I know I've mentioned this before) where someone charges into the saloon, gets shot, and then doubles over with their forward momentum. However, there's a table near them that they end up hitting, and that makes them bend at the waist, slam down on it, and then slide off quickly.

This is Euphoria in action; it tries to go beyond normal ragdolls and consider how the body's musculature operates and how the human brain and reflexes would use it in the situation it's simulating. By all reports it is an enormous pain in the rear end to work with but the results can be very impressive like you say.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Euphoria has been really impressive in everything I've seen it in. But those games never rely on it to produce "normal" animations, just edge-cases. Force Unleashed uses it for people being launched by explosions and force powers, which works great, because you see stuff like Stormtroopers desperately grabbing onto each other or the environment as they are levitate off the ground. GTA found the best use for euphoria though - drunk people. Because then the janky delayed reactions and unsteady movement suddenly turns perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Euphoria has been really impressive in everything I've seen it in. But those games never rely on it to produce "normal" animations, just edge-cases. Force Unleashed uses it for people being launched by explosions and force powers, which works great, because you see stuff like Stormtroopers desperately grabbing onto each other or the environment as they are levitate off the ground. GTA found the best use for euphoria though - drunk people. Because then the janky delayed reactions and unsteady movement suddenly turns perfect.

The drunk movements in RDR were also perfect.

Shooting someone who's on a horse, having them fall off but get their foot stuck on the saddle (or whatever it's called) and then they realistically flail around as the spooked horse gallops away was incredible to see.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Back at launch I seem to recall ragdolls being the ultimate weapon in Deux Ex: Invisible War. You could pick them up, chuck them super far, and for some reason they did like infinity damage to enemies. Pretty sure they patched that out early on because I have clear memories of my buddy in college complaining they ruined the game by removing it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What's the first game with ragdolls? Was it Hitman? That was the first time I saw it.
I think it might have been Jurassic Park: Trespasser. They were real proud of their physics engine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Toilet Rascal
Trespasser may be correct. The first time I personally remember seeing ragdolls was in the UT2K3 demo which would have been mid-2002. Halo faked ragdolls in 2001 with parametric corpse animation but it couldn't do true jointed physics objects.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The pit with all of the bars you can ragdoll down after scoring in the UT2k3 Bombing Run demo was so loving cool at the time.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

david_a posted:

I think it might have been Jurassic Park: Trespasser. They were real proud of their physics engine.
Trespasser was so ahead of the curve in so many ways, it's too bad the game was completely hosed up and only half-finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Linguica posted:

Trespasser was so ahead of the curve in so many ways, it's too bad the game was completely hosed up and only half-finished.

Hold on I gotta check my health *looks down at massive tits*