Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

ah gotcha

I guess duplicate foils in the same pack is cool, haha

That's not a duplicate. One is foil and one is reverse foil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Matsuri posted:

ah gotcha

I guess duplicate foils in the same pack is cool, haha
That Chandelure seems like it'd be a fun buildaround in Extended, when you've actually got VS Seeker so you don't have to hamstring yourself to get it rolling.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Fargle posted:

That's not a duplicate. One is foil and one is reverse foil.

I know, but I meant they're the same card and both are foil, haha.

PMush Perfect posted:

That Chandelure seems like it'd be a fun buildaround in Extended, when you've actually got VS Seeker so you don't have to hamstring yourself to get it rolling.

I'm guessing Extended is to Pokemon as Modern is to Magic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

I'm guessing Extended is to Pokemon as Modern is to Magic?
Yep, basically.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Yep, basically.

I'll keep that in mind for when I build up a collection, then.

The Destruction Fang deck is serving me well; I'm already on the second tier of rewards after a 9-game winning streak (that I lost right after due to horrible draws. C'est la vie.)

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I picked up Clanging Thunder as I have an electric and dragon challenge - naturally I only draw Type Null and the shellos line for literally three games in a row.

Is there a recommended trader for getting cards from? I have a random selection of packs and wasn't sure how the general PTCGO population would take to trading decks for anything outside of the latest couple of sets.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

X_ThePerfect posted:

I picked up Clanging Thunder as I have an electric and dragon challenge - naturally I only draw Type Null and the shellos line for literally three games in a row.

Is there a recommended trader for getting cards from? I have a random selection of packs and wasn't sure how the general PTCGO population would take to trading decks for anything outside of the latest couple of sets.

I bought some pack codes from ptcgo.com, that seems pretty cheap and efficient-- but as far as specific traders, it seems to be a huge mess.

I'm not quite sure what to do right now. I've been blazing through Versus with my Theme deck, and I made quick work of the "do 3000 damage with colorless pokemon" using Bewear to sweep games, so I have 800 tokens and I'm not sure what to buy. Are the special Regice/Darkrai/Mew sets worth getting, and if so, what should I be looking into getting to play in Standard or Expanded? I don't even understand what's good and what's bad yet.

I did get a full-art Turtonator-GX that I traded for a full-art Sylveon-GX though. Dunno if that was a good deal, but I love Sylveon, so!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I ended up just blowing my tokens on packs. Trying to get a Tapu Lele like all the cool kids in the Standard arena have. (I can see why, they're so bullshit.)

I made myself a standard deck of simple good stuff (Bewear, Garbodor, Sylveon GX, etc) and just decimated an opponent who decided to just use all -EX Pokemon. That was pretty cool. Bewear with a Choice Band is just stupid against those dudes.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

I ended up just blowing my tokens on packs. Trying to get a Tapu Lele like all the cool kids in the Standard arena have. (I can see why, they're so bullshit.)

I made myself a standard deck of simple good stuff (Bewear, Garbodor, Sylveon GX, etc) and just decimated an opponent who decided to just use all -EX Pokemon. That was pretty cool. Bewear with a Choice Band is just stupid against those dudes.

If you think Tapu Lele GX is bullshit you should look up regular Tapu Lele! That thing is very much banned from play.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Fargle posted:

If you think Tapu Lele GX is bullshit you should look up regular Tapu Lele! That thing is very much banned from play.

What?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Fargle posted:

What was it? All I can find while searching is just the GX version.

My Psychic-Fairy Goodstuff deck is serving me pretty well in standard! I haven't put much money into the game, so it's a pretty nice feeling. I do wish I had some Lele-GXs to put in, but as it is, it's not doing too bad:

It's not too bad for something I just cobbled together. I just kept in mind the classic "card advantage is key" strategy from Magic and filled the deck with tons of card draw and cards that can let me "tutor" for other cards. (I don't know the terminology for Pokemon so I'll just use MtG terms for now). Bewear is great against EX Pokemon, which people love to just load their deck with-- and Garbodor is great against people who play like I do and flush their hands constantly with N/Sycamore. Alolan Vulpix can grab anything I need for free, and Eevee can tutor up Sylveon-GX for free.

Any suggestions to make it better?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

SM45 Lele?

That's the only other one I can find.

Edit:

Matsuri posted:

Any suggestions to make it better?
Drop the Vulpix. Run the full 4 Professor's Letters ASAP, same with the fourth Sycamore. Run a couple Skyla (getting the items you need) and a couple Professor Kukui (getting you a KO you might otherwise miss). You don't need that many Energy cards, especially not with Wishful Baton. I'd say 4 of each. Run a couple Energy Retrievals, if you wanna. I'd definitely run a couple Rescue Stretcher in this setup.

Edit2:
Hell. Here's exactly what I'd do, card-count permitting.
-1 Eevee
-1 Trubbish
-1 Vulpix
-1 Stufful
-2 Hau
-4 Fairy Energy
-2 Psychic Energy

+2 Professor Kukui
+2 Skyla
+1 Sycamore
+1 Energy Retrieval (Or a Fisherman)
+3 Professor's Letter
+2 Rescue Stretcher

Edit3: As for my reasoning: You've got Pokemon who want to make haymaker blows, but you've got half your deck built like you're trying for a long, drawn-out fight. You don't want that, you want to be swinging with Bewear or Sylveon or Espeon ASAP and building up enough to have the rest and/or a Garbordor sitting in the back lines ready to dropkick a motherfucker. Extra basics just means extra Guzma/bench-attack targets. And Hau is a bad card. "Draw 3 cards" is not nearly enough to compete with card-getting options like Skyla, Sycamore, Wally, or even Kukui.

I feel like you probably don't need that many Ultra Balls, but that's something I'd need to play the deck to test.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 13, 2017

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Drop the Vulpix. Run the full 4 Professor's Letters ASAP, same with the fourth Sycamore. Run a couple Skyla (getting the items you need) and a couple Professor Kukui (getting you a KO you might otherwise miss). You don't need that many Energy cards, especially not with Wishful Baton. I'd say 4 of each. Run a couple Energy Retrievals, if you wanna. I'd definitely run a couple Rescue Stretcher in this setup.

Edit2:
Hell. Here's exactly what I'd do, card-count permitting.
-1 Eevee
-1 Trubbish
-1 Vulpix
-1 Stufful
-2 Hau
-4 Fairy Energy
-2 Psychic Energy

+2 Professor Kukui
+2 Skyla
+1 Sycamore
+1 Energy Retrieval (Or a Fisherman)
+3 Professor's Letter
+2 Rescue Stretcher

Edit3: As for my reasoning: You've got Pokemon who want to make haymaker blows, but you've got half your deck built like you're trying for a long, drawn-out fight. You don't want that, you want to be swinging with Bewear or Sylveon or Espeon ASAP and building up enough to have the rest and/or a Garbordor sitting in the back lines ready to dropkick a motherfucker. Extra basics just means extra Guzma/bench-attack targets. And Hau is a bad card. "Draw 3 cards" is not nearly enough to compete with card-getting options like Skyla, Sycamore, Wally, or even Kukui.

I feel like you probably don't need that many Ultra Balls, but that's something I'd need to play the deck to test.

I did precisely what you suggested and it's working pretty well in the couple test runs I did! Granted, it wasn't against EX/GX decks, but it worked quite smoothly. As far as Ultra Balls go, I had a full set in because I figured since I'd be drawing a lot, I'd have plenty to throw away for a specific card. I could see myself dropping one or two though. Understood on Hau though-- I think I'm just stuck in the MtG mindset of "Ancestral Recall is tremendously busted, so this should be too". He's out. So far so good! If it continues to perform well, I'll try putting it in a tournament event.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

SM45 Lele?

That's the only other one I can find.

That's the one!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Captain Fargle posted:

That's the one!

That card was not banned for power level reasons. It was because it didn't yet have an english printing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Matsuri posted:

I did precisely what you suggested and it's working pretty well in the couple test runs I did! Granted, it wasn't against EX/GX decks, but it worked quite smoothly. As far as Ultra Balls go, I had a full set in because I figured since I'd be drawing a lot, I'd have plenty to throw away for a specific card. I could see myself dropping one or two though. Understood on Hau though-- I think I'm just stuck in the MtG mindset of "Ancestral Recall is tremendously busted, so this should be too". He's out. So far so good! If it continues to perform well, I'll try putting it in a tournament event.
If you pull an Ultra Ball, I'd put in a Town Map, since you've got a couple important 1-ofs. But that's just me, and I think I over value Town Map a bit.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

If you pull an Ultra Ball, I'd put in a Town Map, since you've got a couple important 1-ofs. But that's just me, and I think I over value Town Map a bit.

I actually pulled one out to put in a second Sylveon-GX for that reason. Eevee's kind of a dead draw when I can't immediately jam Sylveon on it since it's in the prize pool. I have a Town Map in and frequently fetch it with Skyla, so that works out pretty well. Or would it be worthwhile to go down to 2 Ultra Balls and an extra Map? I'm not sure.

Deck is running very smoothly so far-- it's very common for me to be smashing faces in with Sylveon/Espeon/Bewear on turn 2, and people tend to scoop pretty quick to that. Doesn't make for the most fun games sometimes, but when it's pushing me up that versus meter toward free stuff, I won't complain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A second Town Map is never a good idea unless you very specifically need all four of something (Durant mill being the first example I can think of, and even then, they usually just trade out prizes)

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

PMush Perfect posted:

A second Town Map is never a good idea unless you very specifically need all four of something (Durant mill being the first example I can think of, and even then, they usually just trade out prizes)
I'd almost even argue for Gladion in place of Town Map, because you need the Durant out of the prizes, not to know which prize to take if you manage a single KO.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
fun game

fun deck

tapu lele is getting to be a pretty tiresome sight though

I also opened up another Sylveon-GX from a pack. I think the game knows I'm fond of it.

Also I should ask: why is the game so GPU-intensive? It's not like it's some graphical work of art, yet on some screens it's making my 980Ti run at 80-90%.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
ok ouch wow playing at night is way harsher than playing during the day. I'm on like, a 5-game losing streak to people who do nothing but jam EX and GX Pokemon into their deck. It's... kinda boring to see the same thing over and over, honestly.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Matsuri posted:

ok ouch wow playing at night is way harsher than playing during the day. I'm on like, a 5-game losing streak to people who do nothing but jam EX and GX Pokemon into their deck. It's... kinda boring to see the same thing over and over, honestly.

Alolan Ninetales woo!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Fargle posted:

Alolan Ninetales woo!
:toot:

But yeah, all the hardcore players are on at night. Good if you wanna test yourself against the tough stuff, not so good if you're just looking for wins to get the Versus rewards.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Matsuri posted:

That's the meta for you! Any card game will get boring eventually since the cream rises to the top and some people just play to win. It's why I like playing casually, you can still make competitive fun decks and you don't have to worry about shelling out for the expensive stuff. Other than Lele because every deco needs her.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Zodack posted:

That's the meta for you! Any card game will get boring eventually since the cream rises to the top and some people just play to win. It's why I like playing casually, you can still make competitive fun decks and you don't have to worry about shelling out for the expensive stuff. Other than Lele because every deco needs her.

Oh, I definitely like playing competitively. Is there a place where I can learn the meta better so I can at least predict what certain decks are trying to do, or is it "really everyone plays Lele and the rest doesn't really matter as much"? Because it's really hard to get those and I really don't feel like buying 40+ pack codes just to get one Lele.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

Oh, I definitely like playing competitively. Is there a place where I can learn the meta better so I can at least predict what certain decks are trying to do, or is it "really everyone plays Lele and the rest doesn't really matter as much"? Because it's really hard to get those and I really don't feel like buying 40+ pack codes just to get one Lele.

Don't buy packs to get cards. This is true for paper collectible/trading card games and digital cards. Ever ever ever ever ever.

If you ever want a particular single, find another person to trade with or someone that sells digital Pokémon cards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Don't buy packs to get cards. This is true for paper collectible/trading card games and digital cards. Ever ever ever ever ever.

If you ever want a particular single, find another person to trade with or someone that sells digital Pokémon cards.

Hmm. Do you know any good vendors? I just thought what people did was essentially trade pack codes for cards in the trade center. Price of being naïve, I suppose.

EDIT:

This was turn one.

Turn. One.

Maybe I really do need to run an anti-EX/GX meta deck.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 17, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Matsuri posted:

Hmm. Do you know any good vendors? I just thought what people did was essentially trade pack codes for cards in the trade center. Price of being naïve, I suppose.

I don't know of any major Pokémon TCG Online vendors because I do not play the digital version. I know that I've seen digital copies of Tapu Lele GX on eBay going for around $15. From the descriptions I've read, you pay for the card on eBay and provide your account name to the seller. They will find you and try to initiate a trade with you at an arranged time. They offer the card you paid for and you just have to offer a junk common.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Star Man posted:

I don't know of any major Pokémon TCG Online vendors because I do not play the digital version. I know that I've seen digital copies of Tapu Lele GX on eBay going for around $15. From the descriptions I've read, you pay for the card on eBay and provide your account name to the seller. They will find you and try to initiate a trade with you at an arranged time. They offer the card you paid for and you just have to offer a junk common.
This is technically against the TOS and people have been banned/suspended for it. It is not against the rules to buy codes for packs and then trade those packs for Lele. I believe the latter would also be cheaper.

Edit: I don’t care if you do it, just FYI

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fritzler posted:

This is technically against the TOS and people have been banned/suspended for it. It is not against the rules to buy codes for packs and then trade those packs for Lele. I believe the latter would also be cheaper.

Edit: I don’t care if you do it, just FYI

Are users able to trade digital packs?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Star Man posted:

Are users able to trade digital packs?

Yes. Very much so. It's the standard unit of currency for a lot of rarer cards on the trade market.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Importantly: Not the free ones you get from trainer challenge/etc., those are account locked.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Matsuri posted:

EDIT:

This was turn one.

Turn. One.

Maybe I really do need to run an anti-EX/GX meta deck.

thats normal

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I AM THE MOON posted:

thats normal

How on earth do you counter something like that

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gardevoir's going nuts right now because Steel kinda sucks. Hopefully, the next set's gonna bring in some things to help with that, but right now, the only real options are "Choice Band rush", "Anti-Meta", or "laugh at the stupid bastards spending hundreds of dollars on a children's card game".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

Gardevoir's going nuts right now because Steel kinda sucks. Hopefully, the next set's gonna bring in some things to help with that, but right now, the only real options are "Choice Band rush", "Anti-Meta", or "laugh at the stupid bastards spending hundreds of dollars on a children's card game".

True, I suppose.

I had a gleeful moment of OHKOing a Tapu Lele-GX a few minutes ago. Opponent swapped to it to do 100 damage to my Bewear, and I just shrugged, switched to Garbodor with Choice Band, and did precisely 170 to it. She switched to Mimikyu to do 280 to Garbodor, and I just went back to Bewear to smack it back for the win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was talking about it with a friend and between Gardevoir and Darkrai both going nuts, I think what we need is a good dual-type Lucario GX. That'd solve some of the issues, I think.

Edit: And if it's got a Fire weakness, that would indirectly buff Volcanion, who's been kinda boned recently since A-Ninetails is popular and Greninja Break is still kind of a thing.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 17, 2017

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Matsuri posted:

you do the same thing but also play hammers

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009

Matsuri posted:

That's not even the good Gardevoir. Both that Gardevoir and Darkrai decks are unfavorably matched to the actual tier 1 expanded meta: Night March, the actual good Gardevoir (GX), and Garbodor/Necrozma. If you want decklists look here: http://thecharizardlounge.com/2017/11/12/the-new-face-of-expanded-and-an-update-to-gardevoir/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

DarciisFyer posted:

That's not even the good Gardevoir. Both that Gardevoir and Darkrai decks are unfavorably matched to the actual tier 1 expanded meta: Night March, the actual good Gardevoir (GX), and Garbodor/Necrozma. If you want decklists look here: http://thecharizardlounge.com/2017/11/12/the-new-face-of-expanded-and-an-update-to-gardevoir/

I'm playing standard right now, so I don't know how relevant that is-- or how well my deck would fare in expanded. I'm more surprised to see that Fort Wayne Regionals were mentioned, because I live in Fort Wayne and had no idea such a thing went on here. A shame MtG doesn't get as much attention here for that, it's always Indianapolis. (But I don't play Standard or Modern in MtG anymore, so whatever on both counts.)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 18, 2017

• Locked thread