Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PainterofCrap posted:

I have to look up our usage, but in south Jersey, we have PSE&G, and the charges are nuts. Electric is at a minimunm, $150/month...gas use minimum is like $20-$25 and that's going the whole month without any HVAC at all, 90% LED bulbs, hardly ever turn on the TV.

The highest bill we ever received was over $650.00 in the midst of a cold winter. This is with a 2-stage 90% efficient gas furnace & high-eff water heater. House dates from 1930; I have blown-in insulation (done myself 5-years ago with Home Depot syatem) but the original windows with newer storms (I have rebuilt all of the windows, installed the storms) so there is some loss there. Highest summer bill was nearly $500, $470 of which was electric.

Meanwhile, six miles across the river in Philadelphia, PECO electric rates are so low you can cool a 3-story townhouse in August for maybe $160/month.

Jersey house haver (well, former) here: your bill is hosed up, something is wrong. Do you leave the TV on all day? Is your computer just always chugging 750W 24/7? Is your fridge from the 50s?

I had blown insulation (professionally done) and Central air, and while there were a couple $400 bills they were atypical, with some months bill being like $40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

How long a period is this for? We have a yearly electricity bill of around 1k euros, a little above. We have an electric house, induction stove. Hydronic floor heating, but that is heated by a heat pump (ground heat exchange). This is not the first time it seems to me like americans are really paying through the nose for electricity, or they use an insane amount of it.

This was my August bill before I got solar so a single month. . I think we used 2500kwh? A/C in a big house were it gets hot and people home all day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

I don't care what anyone says, I fuckin' love this unironically.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I was sure this had to be "we put white tile on the old tile and the new tile fell down" but nope.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

Imagine going to your buddy's new house to celebrate and get shitfaced, finally getting to the point where gotta take a piss, and then you walk into that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

I'm seriously impressed with that tile job, that would be annoying as hell to get right. Also that has to be a custom shaped mirror right?

While impressed, I really hate people who make ultimate custom rooms. Like if that mirror broke, you would be paying out the nose to get a replacement. No shower head either, just a tub, and I think the mirror actually extends so that the top point is past the tub line.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Couldn't you just cut a larger rectangular mirror down to fit?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like to think acute angle mirrors were right next to the cassette-tape mini jukeboxes and city skyline posters at JC Pennys in the 90s.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Khizan posted:

Couldn't you just cut a larger rectangular mirror down to fit?

It looks like it's beveled all the way around, so not unless you've got your own beveler.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

This owns. gently caress the haters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Replace it with a mirror that isn’t beveled because beveled mirrors are overrated.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

Nah, it's like a New Wave album cover brought to life. I'm imagining the Go-Gos all sprawled over the room for a photoshoot, with Belinda Carlisle in the tub.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can go to a glass place and get glass cut to spec, including with beveled edges. It's not all that expensive. Around here I'd expect to be able to replace that mirror for like $100.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Jersey house haver (well, former) here: your bill is hosed up, something is wrong. Do you leave the TV on all day? Is your computer just always chugging 750W 24/7? Is your fridge from the 50s?

I had blown insulation (professionally done) and Central air, and while there were a couple $400 bills they were atypical, with some months bill being like $40.

Yea, I agree your power bills are massively high.

Do you have a smart meter? https://github.com/bemasher/rtlamr + $25 "RTL-SDR" device from amazon will let you record your power meter data every 30s or so. Toss it into excel or something and you'll get graphs.

Don't have a smart meter? Call PSEG, tell them you think your meter is reading incorrectly. They'll come replace it for free with a shiny new one (which will likely be a smart meter!)

Once you have fairly realtime data on it, you can start shutting poo poo off and see what happens.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Nah, it's like a New Wave album cover brought to life. I'm imagining the Go-Gos all sprawled over the room for a photoshoot, with Belinda Carlisle in the tub.

Bingo. Add in some neon lights, Aqua Net and guys wearing makeup and the 1980s are alive in that bathroom.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Volmarias posted:

I have a 5-YO fridge and a small chest freezer; a 20-YO fridge in the basement, and a 1939 Westinghouse in the garage.
No running desktops. I use 2-laptops; my wife has one laptop & an iPad.

What kills us in the winter? Attic room electric baseboard heat (only heat for that room) & same on the front porch (used intermittently).

Our electric is high, over 18K BtU /year. I just edited my IP, our average bill is $275/mo or so, of which 90% is electric.

Annual gas use is just over $500, and that's with two furnaces running - I have a tiny downdraft that heats my garage.

Summer electric is central A/C - but there's also an 18,000BtU through-wall unit in the attic that runs 24/7 when my son is up there as it barely stays ahead of the roasting going on up there.

If my son ever moves out, I expect to see a fairly big drop in the electric bill. Come to think of it, he probably leaves the 40" flatscreen on all the time, I just can't tell because it's not playing anything.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 15, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Why so many fridges? *murder joke*

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Did you try a kill-a-wat on those fridges? They're beasts

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
It sucks that some people don't have itemised bills with graphs. We had a leaking toilet once in my rental and the water company sent us a letter and phoned us telling us that something was wrong because our usage shot up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm imagining the Go-Gos all sprawled over the room for a photoshoot, with Belinda Carlisle in the tub.
do continue

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm seriously impressed with that tile job, that would be annoying as hell to get right. Also that has to be a custom shaped mirror right?

While impressed, I really hate people who make ultimate custom rooms. Like if that mirror broke, you would be paying out the nose to get a replacement. No shower head either, just a tub, and I think the mirror actually extends so that the top point is past the tub line.

You can clearly see the shower though :confused:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of things at an angle

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Speaking of things at an angle

Ugh I hate those cake dome lights more than I hate boob lights.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They remind me of grade school :corsair:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

They remind me of grade school :corsair:

They look like uncanny valley schoolhouse lights-- they're off just enough to seem really weird.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah but if you need a pot you can just grab one from the ceiling. Win/win

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My old boss's office had a wall like this. They subdivided the room and split it on a window.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FogHelmut posted:

My old boss's office had a wall like this. They subdivided the room and split it on a window.

Guess you could really gently caress with the neighboring office by opening the blinds when the sun was shining right on the window.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There's mounting brackets on both sides, I don't even want to imagine the expression on the person asked to custom make a 3" window blind.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FogHelmut posted:

sup former employee

my office has a "wall" like that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I call this "your office has a window".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The pissing window.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Volmarias posted:

There's mounting brackets on both sides, I don't even want to imagine the expression on the person asked to custom make a 3" window blind.

Holy poo poo, you're right. That's hilarious.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Nah they ordered 3” blinds instead of 3’ blinds and made the window to match :v:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Volmarias posted:

It looks like it's one of those vertical blinds like are used with sliding doors, just with the track sawed off to leave enough space for one strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Variable 5 posted:

Nah they ordered 3” blinds instead of 3’ blinds and made the window to match :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gunjin posted:

It looks like it's one of those vertical blinds like are used with sliding doors, just with the track sawed off to leave enough space for one strip.

Right? And the best part is that the controls are there too, you can pull the chain to turn that one blind, and the knob at the top that normally had a pull rod is there too if you want to pull open and closed your single drape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
is posting bitcoiners setups cheating?

rest of the album here,

https://imgur.com/a/RBo9c