Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Oh god, I had no idea Brundle wrote columns
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...0ea86ff99dbfef6

(I see this appears on Sky Sports but I don't ever have a reason to go to Sky's site so welp this was news to me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
It's happening. WEC is basically considering bringing back a GT1 styled class, racing cars that look road relevant but top endurance racing class.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/factory-lmp1-breed-high-performance-cars-978750/

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cool. I give it 5 years before collapsing once again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cool that's 5 years of cool cars so whatever

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Cool. I give it 5 years before collapsing once again.

The cycle continues.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull got a massive boner and he doesn't know why (he's a big closed wheel fan).

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Norns posted:

Cool that's 5 years of cool cars so whatever

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

lmbo, should have worn more power bracelets.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

VikingSkull got a massive boner and he doesn't know why (he's a big closed wheel fan).

Nah because they said they weren't going to require homologation.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is the one big drawback. Give us some loving bad rear end, race related road cars please.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Fair enough.

GramCracker posted:

This is the one big drawback. Give us some loving bad rear end, race related road cars please.

I'm neutral on homologation when it comes to "oh, build X examples and we're good". The Ford GT is a love letter to the GT1 days, sure, but at least they're going to build more than the minimum it seems.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh hey that reminds me I saw the coolest loving car of all time on the weekend. Was on the back of a flatbed and had clearly taken a bit of a whomping somewhere but it was a fully white Marlboro liveried 4x4 Ford Sierra cosworth.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

Fair enough.

I'm neutral on homologation when it comes to "oh, build X examples and we're good". The Ford GT is a love letter to the GT1 days, sure, but at least they're going to build more than the minimum it seems.

The reason I love it is because it gave us some crazy rear end road cars, albeit very limited production for the most part. It basically forces the manufacturer to make something they’d never ordinarily make for the road if they want to go racing, which is awesome for enthusiasts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

The reason I love it is because it gave us some crazy rear end road cars, albeit very limited production for the most part. It basically forces the manufacturer to make something they’d never ordinarily make for the road if they want to go racing, which is awesome for enthusiasts the super rich to buy the car and stuff it in a garage, never to see the light of day again.

Fixed that for you.

Unfortunately :smith:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

Fixed that for you.

Unfortunately :smith:

I can’t even complain about that fix :smithicide:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It’s gonna own when Stroll is beaten by a man with one arm.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

keevo posted:

It’s gonna own when Stroll is beaten by a man with one arm.

It's gonna own when Kubica has no idea how to lift the trophy over his head on the top step of the podium.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Stroll is gonna make Kubica look like the fraud he is

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of exotics, I saw a GTC4Lusso today.

I thought it was a Corvette C7 at first.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Stroll is gonna make Kubica look like the fraud he is

Neither are frauds, they're going to compete so fiercely that they will elevate the grid to a new level that fraud drivers such as Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and Stoffel Vandorne will be unable to match.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Current LMP1 cars look cool as poo poo imo rip

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Current LMP1 cars look cool as poo poo imo rip

Agreed. They're prototypes. Who cares if they look like street cars. We have GT for that.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Bring back homologation rules for WRC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Agreed because I'm a firm believer that the decline of WRC started with the withdrawal of the Group A Lancer Evo and also the dominance of the lovely-rear end Peugeot 206.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(with that said the WRC was quite good this year)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Dude, Gronholm in that 206 forever

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9rTCLjK1k8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gronholm owned but christ was the road version of the 206 a boring-rear end car.

I actually liked the weird looking 307 better even though it sucked and basically ended Peugeot's WRC run because it sucked too much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, check out this dumb fucker of a car that never raced because Group B got banned.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Lol Ferrari

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

But naw that thing is dumb in the right ways

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
650bhp in a rally car, and I wonder why Group B was banned

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Toivonen's death is still pretty drat awful reading about it over and over.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

By the way, check out this dumb fucker of a car that never raced because Group B got banned.

They would have buttfucked every other manufacturer in the Group B series 9 ways to Sunday with the 288 Evo

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
The fact that car never got to race is a sin to motorsport

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's really too bad the R32 Skyline was too heavy to be an effective Group A rally car because I would have loved to see that thing as a tarmac special car like the Group A M3 and the Sierra Cosworth were.

Apparently someone actually entered one in Corsica one year and it was uncompetitive.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Remember when Mikko Hirvonen was being hyped up as the next big thing to take the fight to Loeb and as a worthy successor of Gronholm? lmao

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I love all the Ferraris that were built that never actually raced. Like that Ferrari Indy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

Remember when Mikko Hirvonen was being hyped up as the next big thing to take the fight to Loeb and as a worthy successor of Gronholm? lmao

Ott Tanak is like the first teammate Ogier has ever had who actually looks respectable in the same car lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I’ve always thought that this car’s ideas were later transferred to the F40.

• Locked thread