Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sorry for the double post, but just finished Arrow and holy poo poo that was an amazing action sequence with (not a huge spoiler, just a name and brief description) Slade, killing like thirty people, towards the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: hacking: I once saw a trailer for a movie where Chris Hemsworth played a hacker who did 15 years for hacking (he spent the entire time doing handstand pushups from what I could tell) and now he's being let out to help the FBI catch some hackers. I haven't seen it but it looked pretty bad. I later learned it was a Michael Mann film, which was disappointing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Sorry for the double post, but just finished Arrow and holy poo poo that was an amazing action sequence with (not a huge spoiler, just a name and brief description) Slade, killing like thirty people, towards the end of the episode.

Yes but was it set to Return Of The Mack?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: hacking: I once saw a trailer for a movie where Chris Hemsworth played a hacker who did 15 years for hacking (he spent the entire time doing handstand pushups from what I could tell) and now he's being let out to help the FBI catch some hackers. I haven't seen it but it looked pretty bad. I later learned it was a Michael Mann film, which was disappointing.

Blackhat, sounds like. I hear it's awful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I know what link this is and REFUSE to watch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

15 years, huh? Way to have ZERO relevant skill when you get out grandpa. The state of the art moves so fast, it would be like tapping someone who worked at Ford in the 30s to be able to service modern F1 race car.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movie's called Blackhat, and while it sucks apparently they did a good job portraying hacking realistically.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Aphrodite posted:

The movie's called Blackhat, and while it sucks apparently they did a good job portraying hacking realistically.

I got suck(er)ed into watching it on HBO or something awhile ago when I saw that Mann directed it. Not to get all TVIV about it - it wasn't terrible but the hacking parts were probably the most realistically done part of the movie vs the action (not that it was way over the top, just didn't really seem to clash with the overall tone of the movie IMO).

There wasn't a wacky UI like in the NCISCI with rotating 3D cubes of Matrix-code, it was just plain ol' command line stuff. Seems like the reaction from actual hackers was that it was pretty realistically portrayed, both from a "hacking" perspective as well as general cyber-crimes approach (i.e. using civilians with a USB thumb drive to infiltrate somewhere:
https://www.wired.com/2015/01/blackhat-the-best-cyber-movie/
https://gizmodo.com/what-blackhat-gets-right-a-chat-with-former-hacker-kev-1679728958

Interestingly, one would think that Hemsworth was terribly miscast (he was fine in it) but I believe it was loosely based on/"inspired by" a real dude, Stephen Watt, who is a 7-foot-tall bodybuilder who did time for some serious hacks:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/sex-drugs-and-the-biggest-cybercrime-of-all-time-20101111
https://www.wired.com/2013/04/stephen-watt-stalked-by-past/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny when movies lose credibility because they try to stick to reality. Breach was like that, I rolled my eyes all through it at the convoluted plots and schemes but when I went to read about it to see what “really happened”, well the movie was basically a documentary.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

zoux posted:

It's funny when movies lose credibility because they try to stick to reality. Breach was like that, I rolled my eyes all through it at the convoluted plots and schemes but when I went to read about it to see what “really happened”, well the movie was basically a documentary.

To be fair, it is because so many movies are inaccurate or just plain dishonest, that when one comes along that seems like another for the pile, no one gives it a chance regardless of how accurate it was. Blackhat might have done better if it were preceded by at least a few notable critically and commercially successful hacking films.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, it is because so many movies are inaccurate or just plain dishonest, that when one comes along that seems like another for the pile, no one gives it a chance regardless of how accurate it was. Blackhat might have done better if it were preceded by at least a few notable critically and commercially successful hacking films.

The Big Short did a good job of distinguishing between dramatization and pure fact.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Proteus Jones posted:

15 years, huh? Way to have ZERO relevant skill when you get out grandpa. The state of the art moves so fast, it would be like tapping someone who worked at Ford in the 30s to be able to service modern F1 race car.

Hahahah I just laughed out loud at this, imagining him sitting down at a desk "Alright, get me a 56k modem IF YOU GOVERNMENT CHEAPSKATES CAN AFFORD IT!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pain and Gain had subtitles saying "This is seriously what happened" over parts the movie made up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Early reviews of The Punisher from people who claim to have seen it seem to be positive. Keep reading "Not quite as good as Daredevil season 1 or Jessica Jones, but in their weight class rather than Iron Fist or Defenders."

Also, no ninjas. Frank spends almost the entire show killing PMC and CIA mooks.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 10, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Proteus Jones posted:

I've had that conversation with people. "Hey Bruceski, you learned coding and web design right?" "Yeah I did, back in high school. If you want a bubbleswap in Turbo Pascal or a Geocities page I'm your guy, but otherwise you're out of luck."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So did DC change their brand this year or something? For some reason watching Arrow last night I only just noticed that it says "Based on characters from DC" instead of DC Comics or DC Entertainment or anything. Just something really small but it was bugging the poo poo out of me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC Entertainment is still the official name of the company that owns MAD, DC (comics) and Vertigo.

But looking at the DCcomics.com site they only refer to it as "DC" everywhere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The rear end in a top hat train still going.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/warner-bros-sexual-harassment-andrew-kreisberg-1202612522/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm REAAAAAAAAAALLLY shocked we haven't heard anything about Michael Bay to be honest, considering the story Megan Fox told of her getting the job for Transformers. That's about the only thing left shocking me about any of this.

Also of note, since I don't think it was mentioned, and just as predicted, there was another major mass shooting in the time between the original set release date for Punisher and the new date.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aw for gently caress's sake.

I mean innocent until proven whatever but 19 different allegations is damning as poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah 19 with plenty of overlap and corroboration seems real bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He seems to be hands off on Arrow now, is he more involved with some of the others?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think he's most involved with Supergirl these days isn't he?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think the way it works is that Kreisberg is in charge of Flash and Supergirl while Guggenheim has Arrow and Legends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well he's suspended and probably not getting those responsibilities back. If he even retains his job.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BrianWilly posted:

Aw for gently caress's sake.

I mean innocent until proven whatever but 19 different allegations is damning as poo poo.

I really don't think innocent until proven guilty should apply outside of a court of law.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't think innocent until proven guilty should apply outside of a court of law.

Given how incredibly lopsided the power dynamics in these situations tend to be in favor of the accused, that many of these allegations are impossible to prove, and that there is a systemic problem of men getting away with sexual assault and no such systemic problem of men being falsely accused of it, I agree.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The A.V. Club has reviewed The Punisher based on the first six episodes

Very mild spoilers, it seems like it might be a good time.

They do note that most of these fall apart on the second half however, so who know, maybe we'll still get a surprise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's sitting at about a 75% on RT, with the most common complaint being it's boring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The next episode of Gotham looks incredible!

https://youtu.be/4Vk3BI315qA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought you were being sarcastic but wow, that actually does look rather entertaining.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

I thought you were being sarcastic but wow, that actually does look rather entertaining.

My enjoyment of Gotham is genuine.

Edit: 2/3rds of the preview was from the 2 other episodes in the Pyg saga. They have been good. He is creepy.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 14, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/benfritz/status/928765499697020928

Also they started shooting on DD s3 and IF s2 this week.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

who's the new showrunner for IF?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raven Metzner. His CV is...not inspiring.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

Is he Scott Buck?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Elektra and Heroes Reborn. Clearly Marvel's going right for top quality these days

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

My enjoyment of Gotham is genuine.

Edit: 2/3rds of the preview was from the 2 other episodes in the Pyg saga. They have been good. He is creepy.

drat, I might check these out. Professor Pyg was one of the better things in Morrison's (I thought great, personally) run.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Sleepy Hollow's first season was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Sleepy Hollow's first season was fun.

lol