Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
In-engine cutscenes are dumb. They were dumb when HL2 did them and they're still dumb now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They're fine as long as they're skippable and if they're not then A) why did you put unskippable cutscenes in your game released in the year 2017 and B) do not put a goddamn permadeath mode in your game that has unskippable cutscenes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's good when cutscenes reflect changes you made to the game world, especially costumes and especially if they look dumb (see: Revengeance mariachi outfit).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Yeah in-engine was actually the wrong term for me to use. I mean poo poo like in HL2 and Borderlands and whatever, where you still have control of the character but you can't actually do anything or go anywhere and you're stuck waiting for the npcs to talk or do whatever action they could've just done in a regular skippable cutscene. I'd also include parts where you have to just follow an npc and listen to them spew exposition at you.

I can appreciate in-engine stuff when it does it to include costume changes, like in the Dead Rising games and such. (And those are still skippable)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You're not wrong, but I suspect a lot of those things are done to disguise loading in the background before someone opens a door for you or whatever. Half life 2 had a ton of cases where that clearly wasn't the case though and it definitely stuck out like a sore thumb if you played it more than once

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What game are you guys talking about with the permadeath mode?

For some reason my browser is no longer letting me jump to quoted posts by clicking on the quoted name, which is how I normally backtrack through a conversation...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

Wolf 2 is at least 10 hours long, they can't expect you to do it in one sitting even if you're a crazy gamer

Google appears to be telling me that they actually do expect that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfenstein 2

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Whole lotta casuals itt

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

What game are you guys talking about with the permadeath mode?

For some reason my browser is no longer letting me jump to quoted posts by clicking on the quoted name, which is how I normally backtrack through a conversation...

I have that problem too but you can open the link in a new tab and it'll work

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When you guys say "Wolfenstein 2" do you mean The New Colossus?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Snak posted:

Spear of Destiny actually.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Snak posted:

Daikatana, actually

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is as bad as how people started calling Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 "Blade 1" and "Blade 2", even though there are already movies called that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Matrix II: Inception

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Snak posted:

This is as bad as how people started calling Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 "Blade 1" and "Blade 2", even though there are already movies called that.

Still not as bad as people calling 'Nier: Automata' 'Nier'

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EA is going to announce battlefield 1942 next year

And then battlefield 2 after that

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Olive! posted:

Still not as bad as people calling 'Nier: Automata' 'Nier'

It's plot appropriate that nobody remembers Nier though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Liver Disaster posted:

Haha holy poo poo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's only one wolfenstein 2 on the ps4

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Olive! posted:

Yeah in-engine was actually the wrong term for me to use. I mean poo poo like in HL2 and Borderlands and whatever, where you still have control of the character but you can't actually do anything or go anywhere and you're stuck waiting for the npcs to talk or do whatever action they could've just done in a regular skippable cutscene. I'd also include parts where you have to just follow an npc and listen to them spew exposition at you.

I can appreciate in-engine stuff when it does it to include costume changes, like in the Dead Rising games and such. (And those are still skippable)

The best parts of Naughty Dog games are where you have to walk around slowly and look at things that are happening for ~*world building*~

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Olive! posted:

In-engine cutscenes are dumb. They were dumb when HL2 did them and they're still dumb now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Worth every bit :allears:

Oh for sure, I limpet you that the game owns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIPHcgpWsTs

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gordon is a highly trained professional
*Gordon is humping everything in sight and spray painting dickbutt on the wall*

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Quick question guys, probably dumb but here goes.

I’m gonna end up getting a PS4 Pro but want to take my 2 TB drive from my old PS4 and use it in the Pro. If the HDD is running the latest PlayStation software, will I still have to format that drive when I put it in?

I’m guessing yes :(

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

yes.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Thanks!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You can back up to an external drive though. Without any re-downloading.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Olive! posted:

You are completely wrong except for the bolded part which is absolutely correct.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

i appreciated this post

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

In engine cutscenes will help reduce the size of our games.

Uncharted 3 was like a 50+ gigabyte game because they had to have a copy of those prerendered scenes in 2d and a separate one in 3d.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
TLOU trip report:
Tonight we found out the mirror building was deserted. I had a bit of a jump scare when the voice recorder started coming from my controller.
After that I strangled and shot up some dudes trying to kill me on my way out. Again. Then I impaled myself and woke up in winter. Winter was beautiful and creepy as well cause we met some dudes who... yeah well. So I went to rescue Elli and did, only turns out she is capable of fighting for herself now. I can't yet say whether she has ptsd from all that but when spring came she looked ok.

Then I had to stop cause it was 1 am on a weeknight yet again.

The story is good even though nowadays anyone who has seen the walking dead knew what was coming. I really love this game it is already in the top half of my all time favourites, but the story is essentially zombie apocalypse 101 if we are honest. Brilliantly told and gripping, but at its core it includes every zombie and post apocalyptic stereotype.

And still I can't get enough. Also game is pretty hard on normal if you try to be sneaky, my aim got better but I get spotted so often.

Is it me or are there even fewer resources/skill pills in winter? I may have missed some but the urgency in the story translated so well into the game that I felt the need to push on constantly.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

veni veni veni posted:

Pimax is making 4k/8k headsets that will be released soon. Might be sooner than you think. Well in time for a possible PSVR 2.

pimax is 2 separate 1440p screens.
plus as 2 separate screens, it also has massive amounts of wasted space. so not at all much of an upgrade from existing single panel headsets.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

incorporeal posted:

So if it was digital it would be the size of the game plus 50gb patch? That's what I'm trying to avoid. I can do 50gb here and there but 50gb for the game plus another 50gb for the patch would be pushing it.

Does your ISP have a late night window to download an unlimited amount? Mine's from 2 to 8 in the morning.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat the graphics in Wolfenstein 2 are great. Loving it so far.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

plus as 2 separate screens, it also has massive amounts of wasted space. so not at all much of an upgrade from existing single panel headsets.

Ah ok. I thought it was 2 4k displays which had me wondering how it would be remotely affordable. That really is less interesting then. Plus it looks ridiculous.

By wasted space do you mean the FOV is so big you can't actually use all of it, or wasted processing power by using 2 screens?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Nah the Pimax 8k has 2 4k screens, but only accepts 1440p input and upscales. Most headsets also have dual panels.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

Wolf 2 is at least 10 hours long, they can't expect you to do it in one sitting even if you're a crazy gamer

You are not allowed to save. I suppose you can use rest mode if you need to take a break.

Also it is on the hardest difficulty where most bullets will kill you in one hit at full health.

Also the platinum is locked behind doing this

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You are not allowed to save. I suppose you can use rest mode if you need to take a break.

Also it is on the hardest difficulty where most bullets will kill you in one hit at full health.

Also the platinum is locked behind doing this

And the trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty is a measly bronze. It's like they're loving with trophy hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Man I am longgggg past the point of caring about difficulty trophies. Ditto collectathons