Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Shoot for the loving stars. You can't ask for more money later, better ask now. Make job hopping worth it.

I have a phone screen today and if numbers come up I'm planning on throwing a number well into six figures out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Shoot for the loving stars. You can't ask for more money later, better ask now. Make job hopping worth it.

I have a phone screen today and if numbers come up I'm planning on throwing a number well into six figures out there.

850k?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"ya my current job offers 420k can you match?"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"I'm getting 401k here, how about 402k?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I think my one of my generator vendors goes by that philosophy because he quoted us half a million dollars for a generator where everyone else was quoting barely in 6 digits.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

My boss wanted to see my new phone and I just so happened to get an e-mail saying "Thank you for your application!" at that time.

Nice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

skooma512 posted:

So, the job wants to know my salary and what my range is before the first interview.

My main concern with this place is that the pay wouldn’t match even the 49k I make after overtime now, so it’s good to get it out of the way.

Should I ask the guy who referred me what his pay was? We knew each other in college but not really since, he posted the opening on FB. I suppose if he’s a narc I shouldn’t really worry about working there anyway.
No, you shouldn't tell them what you make now. It's unprofessional of them to even ask.

Imo it's unprofessional to ask for a salary range before interviewing too, but I know it's unfortunately not an uncommon practice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

orange sky posted:

My boss wanted to see my new phone and I just so happened to get an e-mail saying "Thank you for your application!" at that time.

Nice.

"Yeah, I put some preparation H on a guy, he was just thanking me."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Collateral Damage posted:

No, you shouldn't tell them what you make now. It's unprofessional of them to even ask.

Imo it's unprofessional to ask for a salary range before interviewing too, but I know it's unfortunately not an uncommon practice.

Sure is, but at least I won’t get my hopes up for a job I can’t afford to take.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Fil5000 posted:

"Yeah, I put some preparation H on a guy, he was just thanking me."

Only if you just shared some chocolate covered pretzels with your boss.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

It's a bullshit question so just tell them what you want. It's their job to lowball you and yours to extract as much as you think you are worth.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a bullshit question so just tell them what you want. It's their job to lowball you and yours to extract as much as so much more than you think you are worth that you're disgusted by your paychecks.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just tell them I'd like $45,000 please sir if that's possible because I don't want to be any trouble.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I just tell them I'd like $45,000 please sir if that's possible because I don't want to be any trouble.

:v: "I'd like $45,000 please"
:allears: "A year?"
:v: "No, a month"

As an aside, I swear to loving christ, if I could find 1 thing that interests me enough to learn it where I can jump to a better paying job, I'll be ecstatic. I like dabbling in everything too drat much.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

As an aside, I swear to loving christ, if I could find 1 thing that interests me enough to learn it where I can jump to a better paying job, I'll be ecstatic. I like dabbling in everything too drat much.

Per paycheck on a once a week pay period.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You’ve convinced me, actually. I’m going to be bold.

Irritated Goat posted:

:same:

I get aspirational Udemy modules. I should focus on ICND but I also want to learn Linux but how about power shell but oh wait employers really want AD....

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lol just finished my phone screen. Met all of the requirements plus some, except when it came down to the specific software suite the company uses. They wanted experience using the 7 specific tools their organization is built around, and similar tools weren't acceptable to them. Their salary range was also below average for the role.

Good loving luck you idiots, nobody is going to have used those specific programs and is looking to be paid less in your remote city.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like management here when we talked about looking for a new programmer "we want RPG (AS400) and Sharepoint experience and don't want to pay more than 50k/yr".

Good luck you chucklefucks.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Irritated Goat posted:

I've made a career out of being really good at several things, and decent at pretty much everything else. I'm finding it's not hard to be a "jack of all trades" and get a great paying job, the trick is finding those jobs that won't silo you making being good at tons of stuff pointless.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lol just finished my phone screen. Met all of the requirements plus some, except when it came down to the specific software suite the company uses. They wanted experience using the 7 specific tools their organization is built around, and similar tools weren't acceptable to them.
This is my 2nd favorite unreasonable request. My #1 favorite is time travelling.

Wanted: Devops Engineer. Must have 10 years experience in Kubernetes, Docker, 15 years Chef.

#3 is overqualification. In addition to Kubernetes, Docker, and Chef, don't even talk to me if you don't have your PMP, CCIE, ITIL, VCDX, MCSE and Network+.

All the best listings have some combination of these 3.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I had a final interview late last week (haven't heard about it yet), and one of the things an interviewer mentioned was that I was "the only candidate who didn't put in a salary expectation" when I applied. I didn't think it was necessary. The job posting had a salary range listed on the advertisement, and putting in a salary expectation before the screening interview seems pointless at best, harmful at worst.

I wasn't prepared for how much of a difference relocation makes to the process. I frequently turn down unsolicited requests for interviews in my local metro area because I'm trying to relocate to the Seattle area, and my applications there only lead to a screening interview 20-30% of the time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

GreenNight posted:

It's like management here when we talked about looking for a new programmer "we want RPG (AS400) and Sharepoint experience and don't want to pay more than 50k/yr".

Good luck you chucklefucks.

:qq: We can’t find qualified applicants in the US

:qq: Please give us H1-B wage slaves Mr. Government btw I also deserve to pay less taxes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm just starting to setup a job posting for a new helpdesk tech and I am excited about handing it to HR, having things added to it that I'm unaware of, and then having a bunch of overqualified candidates who want too much money for the role I originally sent out waste my time and theirs!

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is my 2nd favorite unreasonable request. My #1 favorite is time travelling.

Wanted: Devops Engineer. Must have 10 years experience in Kubernetes, Docker, 15 years Chef.

#3 is overqualification. In addition to Kubernetes, Docker, and Chef, don't even talk to me if you don't have your PMP, CCIE, ITIL, VCDX, MCSE and Network+.

All the best listings have some combination of these 3.

I love over qualification as well. "We're posting this job that has nothing to do with networking, especially not Cisco, but we require a CCIE". I normally apply for those and still get a call back. Asking about the requirement normally gets an answer of "HR/Management doesn't understand what we do, so they just tack on every certification they have heard of"

orange sky
May 7, 2007

By the way, that job I applied to? Huge leap from what I'm doing. Trying to get out of IT consultancy and went to a Product Owner role. Wish me luck, I know nothing about products (but learn really fast :D).

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh crap. When I mentioned going for the CISO position at my company, someone here mentioned they will probably pull someone from the outside. I have a feeling that is about to happen. We have a security partner who's top guy very bright and we brought him yesterday for an 8 hour brain dump on our security platform. After our meeting with him, the president, the director or IT, and myself, they took him to lunch and didn't extend the invite to me. Then he came back and provided us a lot more info past 5pm Fuuuuck

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Oh crap. When I mentioned going for the CISO position at my company, someone here mentioned they will probably pull someone from the outside. I have a feeling that is about to happen. We have a security partner who's top guy very bright and we brought him yesterday for an 8 hour brain dump on our security platform. After our meeting with him, the president, the director or IT, and myself, they took him to lunch and didn't extend the invite to me. Then he came back and provided us a lot more info past 5pm Fuuuuck

:yotj:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well I don't know about this Kubernetes thing, but I worked in the harbour for 10 years and have been cooking food for 15...

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

That sucks man. Just ask your boss what the deal is. If they’re dishonest about it you can :yotj:.

Sounds fishy though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skooma512 posted:

So, the job wants to know my salary and what my range is before the first interview.

My main concern with this place is that the pay wouldn’t match even the 49k I make after overtime now, so it’s good to get it out of the way.

Should I ask the guy who referred me what his pay was? We knew each other in college but not really since, he posted the opening on FB. I suppose if he’s a narc I shouldn’t really worry about working there anyway.

It’s somewhat common for a potential employer to ask your current compensation. They’re using it see they’re able to afford you, if your “really” worth it and current market data.

Sure, it may not be proper but I’d suggest throwing out “I’d like the market rate” and if they push give them with what you expect. There’s nothing to be gained out hours of interviews if no ones going to commit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

When the employer asks your current salary, you say no. When they ask you if you're are a god, you say... YES!

Tab8715 posted:

It’s somewhat common for a potential employer to ask your current compensation. They’re using it see they’re able to afford you, if your “really” worth it and current market data.

Sure, it may not be proper but I’d suggest throwing out “I’d like the market rate” and if they push give them with what you expect. There’s nothing to be gained out hours of interviews if no ones going to commit.

Nah, just no, you can tell them "I need this much" and that's that, they can take it or leave it, especially in IT. Here in Massachusetts they actually made that current salary poo poo illegal to ask, because the courts ruled that it systemically maintains the pay gap for women.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 14, 2017

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

A job offer came in. It was an obscenely high number, the technology stack is loving awesome and the people seemed hella nice. But the commute was over an hour and I just can't do that to myself again no matter how much they're paying. So I tell them I need time to consider it while I finish out my other scheduled interviews.

A few days later I go on an interview with a different company and get an offer from them. Very different job. But they're in a restructuring process so I'd have more say about building out the tech stack. Sounds awesome. During the interview I mention that I had a previous offer on the table and I told them the salary, just to gauge the reaction since it's way more than I would ever ask for. A friend of mine works for the company so I've got him giving me the inside info because their HR department is notoriously slow. He tells me that his boss is definitely working on bringing me in and the offer is definitely coming. It turns out they are actually rewriting the job posting under a different position so they can match the salary from the first offer. I just have to wait for it to go through the process.

Sometimes throwing out big numbers pays off I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A job offer came in. It was an obscenely high number, the technology stack is loving awesome and the people seemed hella nice. But the commute was over an hour and I just can't do that to myself again no matter how much they're paying.

Would you consider moving closer?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bob Morales posted:

Would you consider moving closer?

I want to stay in a city. I'm currently in Baltimore, which is super cheap. The job is actually closer to DC but DC traffic blows and the city is expensive as gently caress. Basically I'd be trading commute time for higher cost of living. Or I could move to suburbia but.... no.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HatfulOfHollow posted:

That’s a sweet deal if it comes through, fingers crossed!

I should test the waters myself. I like my current gig but feel I can get a decent pay raise if I get a new job. Some company just bought my old company and they expressed serious intentions to keep me along. I’m afraid it’s just :words: though.

The tech stack at my current role is seriously limited which may hurt me in the long run. No on call is a big plus though.

I think I should just start looking for a job I would really love, with a low commute, great tech stack and decent education benefits.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I want to stay in a city. I'm currently in Baltimore, which is super cheap. The job is actually closer to DC but DC traffic blows and the city is expensive as gently caress. Basically I'd be trading commute time for higher cost of living. Or I could move to suburbia but.... no.

If the second job falls through, you could always see if the first one is willing to let you work remote at least a percentage of the time. 1 hour commute is more doable done 2 days a week vs 5.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A job offer came in. It was an obscenely high number, the technology stack is loving awesome and the people seemed hella nice. But the commute was over an hour and I just can't do that to myself again no matter how much they're paying. So I tell them I need time to consider it while I finish out my other scheduled interviews.

A few days later I go on an interview with a different company and get an offer from them. Very different job. But they're in a restructuring process so I'd have more say about building out the tech stack. Sounds awesome. During the interview I mention that I had a previous offer on the table and I told them the salary, just to gauge the reaction since it's way more than I would ever ask for. A friend of mine works for the company so I've got him giving me the inside info because their HR department is notoriously slow. He tells me that his boss is definitely working on bringing me in and the offer is definitely coming. It turns out they are actually rewriting the job posting under a different position so they can match the salary from the first offer. I just have to wait for it to go through the process.

I am glad other people aren't jaded by the talk of "restructuring" because that would give me a bad feeling after.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Sickening posted:

I am glad other people aren't jaded by the talk of "restructuring" because that would give me a bad feeling after.

Restructuring the technology stack. Not the company. They are expanding the department and bringing in new people to help them reevaluate the way they do things.

Poor word choice on my part.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Always a chance the restructure fucks up and you're left with no responsibilities, no work, but nobody notices and everybody assumes your work is important.

I was hired into a new role that was created by restructuring. I had zero work to do, sometimes for weeks at a time. The work I did was scriptable and took less than an hour to set up.

It was a poo poo job and I hated it but it looks great on my resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was hired into a new role that was created by restructuring. I had zero work to do, sometimes for weeks at a time. The work I did was scriptable and took less than an hour to set up.

It was a poo poo job and I hated it but it looks great on my resume.
What the hell this is me now, granted it's more of a support role with a very wide scope I'm pretty sure I was only hired to be a warm body to fill a position gap.

Oh my god I'm so loving bored, there is nothing to do as almost everything comes down to "Run this script" and every process comes down to "I dunno".