Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Towing a friend in a radio flyer with a bike and a rope was tons of fun until you had to stop, the wagon flies past the bike, rope loses slack, pulls the front wheels 90 degrees and dumps the riders onto the road.

I didn't keep us from doing it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Old door. Half a rollerskate nailed at each corner. Busy shopping street with terrifyingly steep grade. Four kids trying to lean to steer. Plate glass shop window. We learnt nothing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

That's also why old people are so goddamn boring, they've been almost killed so many times or seen other people get almost killed enough that they retreat into a shell, paralyzed by the fact that the universe just doesn't give a poo poo.

Yeah, or maybe us old people don't give a gently caress about dying.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

3D printers are awesome. I'm 3D printing OEM Audi parts that are NLA like shifter bushings and shifter boot brackets.

Do you have to have any CAD skills to use a 3D printer? I've always been fascinated by them

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wolrah posted:

Counterpoint: When I was like 8 a friend and I were riding our bikes to my house and I decided to race him. Right at the end of the run I had to cross a 45 MPH road outside of my neighborhood, and while I did check over my shoulder before crossing I apparently waited too long for the traffic coming at me and the traffic coming up from behind caught up. I came within inches of becoming a hood ornament on a county sheriff's cruiser.

Two decades and change later I haven't even come close to getting hit by a car since, so there's at least one example of a stupid kid learning the lesson from having the poo poo scared out of him.

I had a minivan pull out in front of me on my bike when I was 13. Cracked the rear quarter window with my (helmeted) head, still got a mild concussion. I'm loving paranoid about people pulling out in front of me now, more than a quarter-century later.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Do you have to have any CAD skills to use a 3D printer? I've always been fascinated by them

It's essentially a CNC mill so yeah. I've seen folks go from no CAD to 3d printer pros though, if you mess around with all the free plans online it should be easy-ish to pick up the basics.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Door Frame posted:

I use a system called OpenSCAD which basically turns 3D modeling in to programming. It's vaguely like programming in C. I have a half-assed understanding of AutoCAD but I feel more comfortable in this so maybe you might too.

There's a 3D printing thread in the DIY subforum if you want dig deeper: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

As someone who built a 3d printer and doesn't know anything about CAD, no. Well, unless you want to make your own models for printing, then you would.. If you just want to grab .STL files from Thingiverse or whatever though, then no, you really don't.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thirded/fourthed. Especially interested in the connector aspect there, how do you do that?

The connector was reverse engineered by measuring the factory amp connector. Digital calipers and an angle gauge are the main tools I use to reverse engineer something and put it into a CAD model. Most of the time you can figure out what units the original designer was using and it helps you estimate things that are hard to measure. I also printed about 3 versions of that connector before I got it right. Most of the challenge was getting the gear teeth in the inner walls of the socket correct so the retention/extraction latch worked correctly.

For the contacts, I got lucky and the pin spacing in the factory connector was 2.54mm (0.1") and a dual row header strip could be used. I just soldered it into a perf board and used that to break out the wires.

The actual part is up on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441768
And the speaker adapters: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441785

The Door Frame posted:

Without CAD skills you would be limited to printing things that someone has already designed. In that case, it is usually better just to have the model printed by a service. I think it would end up much cheaper unless you were doing a ton of prints or if you wanted to develop your CAD skills.

Like InitialDave says, it is great for mocking things up and replacing NLA parts. Plus the range of filaments allows quite a few end use applications. My go-to materials right now are CF-Nylon, Nylon, and X60 TPU. The X60 is great as it is shore 60A hardness and works great for seals and flexible parts. I have made quite a few suspension boots and seals that work very well.

Some content for this thread:
The BMW CD53 radio power/volume knob tends to break as it is only supported by a plastic mount. The mount is in tension when the knob is pressed and once the plastic gets cold/brittle it breaks and you can't turn the radio on or off anymore. As above, the solution was to print a replacement:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2206618

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

learn fusion 360 and wala! now You Know CAD

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

It's kind of like asking "do you have to own a camera to use a darkroom?"

No you don't, if all you want to do is get other people's negatives and make prints of them.

Yes you do, if you want to make things of your own design, which is most of the reason that the tools exist.

Doing advanced CAD work is quite hard but I think most people can pick up the basics of extrudes, cuts, revolves in a fairly short time. Make an OnShape account and give that a shot -- it works a lot like SolidWorks but it's free and runs in a web browser.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Door Frame posted:

If you're in Dayton, OH, just go to a bar.
https://www.protobuildbar.com/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CAD is not that hard.

Don’t be afraid if you have artistic skill. You can stick to numbers and basic shapes unless you want to be the next Frank Gehry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Some of the really tricky thinks to learn in CAD depends on which software you use and how the software may require you to sequence the steps to design the part you want to make.

if you're learning for a hobby and not a paycheck then you can figure things out as you go and you'll get there eventually.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fayez Butts posted:

learn fusion 360 and wala! now You Know CAD

Do people really think you spell it “wala”?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Do people really think you spell it “wala”?

yeah everyone knows it's spelled "viola"

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

If you're in Dayton, OH, just go to a bar.
https://www.protobuildbar.com/

These guys need to raise their prices so they can get some less rusty toolboxes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

These guys need to raise their prices so they can get some less rusty toolboxes.

I’m the eyepro that will get scratched to hell by everything else in the box.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm the guy that still says eyepro

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"Optical PPE" :goonsay:

Everyone knows safety squints are superior anyway.

No seriously what do you call safety glasses anyhow? Too many damned syllables when "eyepro" is just so succinct.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 15, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
anti‐shrapnel spectacles

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I always just called em goggles :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Enourmo posted:

I always just called em goggles :shrug:

Goggles have straps.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I've always called them eyepro :shrug:

First heard the term in the army reserve, habits die hard I guess.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Do they serve beer there? There's a guy drinking some in the promo but nothing under the drink menu. I can't see how beer and power tools are in any way a good idea to have in the same space.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

yeah everyone knows it's spelled "viola"

I've seen fuckers spell it "wolla".

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

One of the worst I ever saw was head chog.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

charliemonster42 posted:

Sanic the head chog

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ExplodingSims posted:

Sanic the head chog

Really glad you posted that because I had no idea what it was supposed to be.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Memento posted:

I've always called them eyepro :shrug:

First heard the term in the army reserve, habits die hard I guess.

I always liked "eyes and ears".

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

wesleywillis posted:

Voila. :argh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Don't we need some unicode stuff on the a?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Breakfast Feud posted:

Do they serve beer there? There's a guy drinking some in the promo but nothing under the drink menu. I can't see how beer and power tools are in any way a good idea to have in the same space.

What is this evil bullshit? Nothing gets done in my garage sans beer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Don't we need some unicode stuff on the a?
No, because it just encourages the French.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I call them safety glasses because I'm an eyeamateur.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Nothing you couldn't handle, trust me.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Dave Inc. posted:

What is this evil bullshit? Nothing gets done in my garage sans beer.

Wrenching? Yeah have some beers.

Chop saw, table saw, drill press? You better be stone sober. At least, that's my system for keeping my digits.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Breakfast Feud posted:

Wrenching? Yeah have some beers.

Chop saw, table saw, drill press? You better be stone sober. At least, that's my system for keeping my digits.

Go for the Ballmer Peak.

A little buzz steadies the hand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

charliemonster42 posted:

the most mystifying mis-spelling i've ever gotten in an essay was "accholy." i spent way too long trying to figure it out.

say it out loud.

"actually"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋