Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
in other good news

quote:

Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children will not be able to enrol them in school under new laws being pushed by the state government.

The tightening of Victoria’s No Jab No Play laws will see anti-vax parents forced to provide proof of serious medical conditions if they want to enrol unvaccinated children in primary school or even childcare centres, the Herald Sun reports.

At the moment families are able to get around the Victorian laws with notes from doctors, but the loophole is set to be closed up following the discovery of a network of anti-vax GPS.

The stricter legislation is expected to be introduced by the Andrews Government today. Victoria’s health minister, Jill Hennessy, is expected to give a press conference on the issue at 8.30am.

The legislation will rule out letters from GPs and immunisation providers as proof of vaccinations, instead insisting parents to provide official statements from the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).

Parents of unvaccinated children will need to provide AIR documents explaining the reasons for the decision.

All parents will be required to provide regular vaccination updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Fanatic posted:

The No cluster.

ABS maps are even worse than my five second job.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Brown Paper Bag posted:

NSWers - are you surprised Western Sydney voted no so strongly?

I figured no electorates would almost all be rural.

Not Surprised at all. Was pleasantly surprised that the Bathurst Region (Calare) went 60.1 yes

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Someone please fire Eric Abetz out of a loving trebuchet and into the sun

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

Someone please fire Eric Abetz out of a loving trebuchet and into the sun

the old "downtown dunk"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Its frustrating and also unsurprising, and again it lends into the real awkwardness of these areas are the most multicultural areas of Sydney and the poorest. Also shows how successful the right has been in courting them with their original base of hardline Catholics and Protestants simply dying from old age and atheism being more common, their numbers bolstered by non-English speaking Christians and Muslims.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Posted by Coalition 4 Marriage on November 15, 2017
The Coalition for Marriage has vowed to continue defending parents’ rights, and fighting for freedom of speech and freedom of belief following today’s result of the postal survey.

“While we are naturally disappointed in today’s result, we accept and respect the decision of the Australian people,” Coalition for Marriage spokesman, Lyle Shelton said today.

“We will now do what we can to guard against restrictions on freedom of speech and freedom of religion, to defend parents’ rights, and to protect Australian kids from being exposed to radical LGBTIQ sex and gender education in the classrooms.

“In their push for same-sex marriage, the ‘yes’ campaign assured Australians that a change in the law would have no consequences for them; it is now time for them to make good on that promise and ensure that proper protections for parental rights, freedom of speech and belief are in place.

“We will work with our coalition partners, with state and federal parliaments and others of good will to minimise the impact on all Australians.

“We promised our supporters that no matter the result, we would continue to work to defend Australian families, and we intend to keep that promise.

“We are very grateful for the contribution of the millions of Australians who supported our campaign. In the short space of three months, we had thousands of volunteers join us, many of them first time campaigners; we had tens of thousands of Australians donate to our campaign because they believed in what we were doing; and we had many, many more sign up to support us in other ways.

“Their efforts have not been wasted. Thanks to them, millions of Australians spoke up to defend freedoms and will not allow them to be taken away. Those who seek to deceive parents or deny them information about what their kids learn in school will find themselves called to account by millions of Australian mums and dads who now know what is at stake. Those who seek to place restrictions on freedom of speech or freedom of belief will face tough opposition from millions of Australians who understand how a change in law is used to silence those who disagree. Those who seek to push these ideologies through our schools and institutions will not get away with it so easily.

“This new level of awareness could not have been achieved without our supporters, our staff and our volunteers. They have achieved much in this campaign, even in the face of intimidation, threats and abuse, and we are grateful to them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
lol this is the biggest positive outcome result in ever, this was a complete loss by every metric

i know it sucks to think 30-40% said no but the shocking thing is that is far and away the smallest negative vote for anything ever

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol @ both Abetz and Christensen having a cry, and only wanting to vote on Pattison's bill, even though Turnbull says there's no chance of it happening.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lid posted:

lol this is the biggest positive outcome result in ever, this was a complete loss by every metric

i know it sucks to think 30-40% said no but the shocking thing is that is far and away the smallest negative vote for anything ever

Is there an easy to reference source for this?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah if this were a parliamentary election it would be an unprecedented landslide

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Amethyst posted:

Is there an easy to reference source for this?

dean smith on 24 was saying it, mostly pointedly saying more people as a percentage voted for conscription in 1917 than this

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/marrowing/status/930582147513008129

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nice

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
E: how do embed :confused:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Yeah not so much. If you ever go to suburbs like Auburn it's like visiting downtown Tehran.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Can some no voter complain about respecting minorities now because that would be :discourse:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Fanatic posted:

Yeah not so much. If you ever go to suburbs like Auburn it's like visiting downtown Tehran.

presumably not progressive pre-fall of the shah Tehran?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Fanatic posted:

The No cluster.

This should be a layer that you can add to Nukemap.

Frankly I’m pleasantly surprised that Lyne voted yes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

Can some no voter complain about respecting minorities now because that would be :discourse:

Abetz literally did

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I'll be buggered (wa-hey). Well done Australia and congrats to the QUILTBAG community!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
In honesty the most visible vote no signs i saw were from the Greek Orthodox churches but that is possibly by being in English

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Mathias Cormann just attempted a smile on 24 and it looked to be physically painful so he reverted to showing no emotion at all.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The clip of Penny Wong tearing up after the results were announced has me all misty-eyed.

Now I need a clip of Abbott crying for a good laugh

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dennis Shanahan in the Oz, having a whinge:

loser mcloserface posted:

The postal survey on same-sex marriage has been a success. It has delivered a clear result and given every eligible voter the chance to have their say.

The clear Yes vote provides clear guidance for the Parliament and a positive aid to Malcolm Turnbull.

Both Yes and No campaigners now have to realise that neither a winner-takes-all or a dog-in-the-manger attitude will be acceptable and that compromise on the legislation will be necessary to honour the result of the survey and the spirit in which it was conducted.

The extremely high response rate — 79.5 per cent — and the victory for Yes in every State and Territory as well as in an overwhelming majority of electorates gives an undeniable mandate to the Parliament to pass same-sex marriage legislation.

The Prime Minister has a mandate to keep his promise to pass same-sex marriage before Christmas.

The postal survey has been a political success for Turnbull, Peter Dutton and Mathias Cormann and belies all the opposition to it from Labor and the Yes campaigners because of the turnout and the endorsement of the results from the Yes campaign.

No campaigners such as Tony Abbott has said he will support the bill according tot he result of the plebiscite but part of the success of the survey was that it gave No voters a chance to have their say.

In the end, while the clear majority of 7 million voted for same-sex marriage, a substantial majority — 4.8 million — voted against.

No voters had the opportunity to have their say and they did.

The political challenge for Turnbull and the leaders of the Yes campaign is now not to ignore the real concerns raised during the campaign and supported by almost 5 million Australians and to ensure other rights are not diminished by extending a new right.

A partisan “winner takes all” attitude will go against the spirit of the debate, the depth of public interest and engagement on issues of conscience.

Labor should not use the legislation as a partisan battering ram to divide the Coalition and undermine Turnbull’s leadership.

The challenge for Turnbull is to satisfy his obligations and meet his promises for religious freedom which he said he regarded more importantly than same-sex marriage.

Before the result Labor frontbencher Richard Marles said the legislation should ensure there are protections and he believed there will be amendments.

The No campaigners need to recognise the same, as Scott Morrison did this morning.

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/930587142085947393

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/930587486685761536

Signs the No side know the game is over.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Where is ABBOTT!!! I want to see him squirm.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If no won 60/30 youd be drat sure they wouldnt be courting the rights of the yes voters

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
where is Anidav with the Wechat report?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
This guy on 24 with his boyfriend of 44 years is so loving great :) i teared up

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Even my electorate voted 55.1 yes 44.9 no. :confuoot:
E; I can't read never mind the second part.

Tarantula fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 15, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

Dennis Shanahan in the Oz, having a whinge:

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/930587142085947393

Don't stop, I'm almost there

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Love :) <3

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hey who was it that tried to justify using twitter to predict a no vote?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Please 24 post these two guys somewhere this is so loving awesome

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

[wins election by a couple of seats]
WE HAVE A MANDATE!

[loses vote 60/40]
we can't have this "winner takes all" attitude

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Birdstrike posted:

Hey who was it that tried to justify using twitter to predict a no vote?

Lmao you mean the two researchers who weren't standing by their results and had a big margin for error

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Uhhh on breaking theres apparently a coup in Zimbabwe underway :o gently caress you Mugabe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I called 60/40, and it was 61/38, I'm chuffed with that outcome

• Locked thread