Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm in the same boat.

n.. posted:

Same here. Though it does say "phone received" on the orders page. I guess they're just inspecting them at a snail's pace.

I'm chatting with support. My phone is "waiting to be received." I have a trade-in ID from Google, but it looks like their shipping, if it has tracking, isn't being tracked by them. I didn't specifically notice or copy down any tracking numbers on the shipping label they provided, but its looking like they aren't keeping track of it either. I wonder what happens if my phone gets lost in the mail.

My case is being submitted for further review which can take up to one week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Someone a while back was complaining about there being no history on the Pixel 2 "now playing" feature.

Well now you can log it all to a google spreadsheet via IFTT.

Can anyone explain if there's any way to have Google or any app, log a history of what is playing in Spotify on the phone?

Android Spotify app has no history at all, it does on the PC client, but that only tracks things I've played on PC.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone trade in their Pixel 1 to Google? Its been almost two weeks since I put mine in the mail and I haven't heard anything back.

They've had mine for 2 weeks now, no update on the page. Better not gently caress with the value after this long.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Can anyone explain if there's any way to have Google or any app, log a history of what is playing in Spotify on the phone?

Android Spotify app has no history at all, it does on the PC client, but that only tracks things I've played on PC.

If you go to your library you can see the recently played list there. You could set up a last.fm account and turn on scrobbling to get a list also

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone trade in their Pixel 1 to Google? Its been almost two weeks since I put mine in the mail and I haven't heard anything back.

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm in the same boat.

sirbeefalot posted:

They've had mine for 2 weeks now, no update on the page. Better not gently caress with the value after this long.

Mine took about 2.5 weeks to go from when they should have received it to getting any change on the trade in page, but I got money refunded to my cc within like a day or two of getting that email that they'd received it. I chatted with support after 10 or so days and they could tell me it had been received, just not gotten to yet due to volume.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, that's what I linked to when we talked about it a few days ago.

(ok, I didn't link to it, i said I was on phone and someone else would have to dig up the link)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

There is no Oreo yet for any Samsung phone. A beta program has started and I'd expect a release in the new year.

Samsung pushed Beta build 2 of Oreo and then had to pull it because the Phone app would crash, leaving you unable to make and receive phone calls.

https://phandroid.com/2017/11/14/samsung-galaxy-s8-oreo-update/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
It's almost like beta testing software may carry the risk of encountering some pretty bad bugs...

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rastor posted:

Some more details:

https://wccftech.com/backdoor-spotted-qualcomm-oneplus/

* Possibly also affects some other devices such as ASUS Zenfone 3 Max?
* The backdoor app was written by Qualcomm but presumably isn't meant to be included in user builds, instead OnePlus customized it and baked it into the ROM
* It means a hostile app can do absolutely anything to the device without restriction as long as it knows the password: "angela"

That article is slightly mistaken. A hostile app can't simply take over, it needs direct ADB access, so to abuse this you need hands on access to the phone so not quite as bad as it first appeared. Still pretty laughably amateurish.

I'm kind of surprised by Asus, this isn't oneplus' first gently caress up (and probably won't be their last) but Asus at least gave the appearance of being a professional company who had their poo poo together.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

It's almost like beta testing software may carry the risk of encountering some pretty bad bugs...

Call me crazy but "the Phone app constantly crashes" seems like something that should have been caught before any given build was pushed to public testers.

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm kind of surprised by Asus, this isn't oneplus' first gently caress up (and probably won't be their last) but Asus at least gave the appearance of being a professional company who had their poo poo together.

It's starting to sound like every manufacturer out of China too

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/930446058081185793

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

If you go to your library you can see the recently played list there. You could set up a last.fm account and turn on scrobbling to get a list also

I can't find any "recently played" list on android Spotify except something that just shows the last few artists, not helpful when I'm on a radio shuffle.

The Last.FM thing sounds like what I need though. I can't believe the Google "Now Plaiying" recognizes real life songs and not the songs I'm loving playing on the phone but whatevs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

Samsung pushed Beta build 2 of Oreo and then had to pull it because the Phone app would crash, leaving you unable to make and receive phone calls.

https://phandroid.com/2017/11/14/samsung-galaxy-s8-oreo-update/

It's a beta, big whoop *makes jerkoff hand motion*

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The kind of people that run beta software on their phone probably get some obscure "data and texts only" plan anyway.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

That was quick: Oreo Beta Now Available for Essential Phone

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hope both owners don't overload their servers.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

The kind of people that run beta software on their phone probably get some obscure "data and texts only" plan anyway.

I didn't know us deaf people were more predisposed to beta testing things. :shobon:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Anker started selling the Zolo Liberty headphones (the first Bluetooth 5.0 headphones in the world) on Amazon.co.uk, apparently they have them in stock now and the Kickstarters haven't even gotten theirs shipped yet...

Any of you limeys wanna buy a pair and tell me how amazing they are? Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOLO-AK-Z2000011-Zolo-Liberty-Black/dp/B075JBP2P7

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

apparently they have them in stock now and the Kickstarters haven't even gotten theirs shipped yet...

Sounds like every Kickstarter

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

Sounds like every Kickstarter

Every kickstarter I've seen involves the product never even coming into existence... I'd say these guys are doing better than most.

Edit: Jeez they're still working on Barkley 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Xachariah posted:

I didn't know us deaf people were more predisposed to beta testing things. :shobon:

Lol I didn't say "all people on no-voice plans install beta software".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Got the pixel buds. They feel nice but the hinge on the case feels so incredibly delicate, like it will tear up any second
The whole translating thing’s blowing my mind too. Lots of donde esta la biblioteca to test it out

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

I, too, expected the company that beat people's tablet warranty returns with a hammer and then denied the claims to be professional.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're sending me literally my 4th Nexus 5X since joining Fi 20 months ago.

They keep on bricking, but so long as they keep sending me new/refurb ones over and over I guess I don't have a reason to get a $200 Moto and move over to Cricket, or whatever.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Calaveron posted:

Got the pixel buds. They feel nice but the hinge on the case feels so incredibly delicate, like it will tear up any second
The whole translating thing’s blowing my mind too. Lots of donde esta la biblioteca to test it out

How is the audio quality? I'm still using some old LG Tones and I'm wondering how newer headphones sound with their support for newer versions of Bluetooth.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

pairofdimes posted:

How is the audio quality? I'm still using some old LG Tones and I'm wondering how newer headphones sound with their support for newer versions of Bluetooth.

Podcasts sound fine, haven’t tried with real music I will try later but they’re comfy
I wonder if they’re like sweatproof or something because I wanna try working out with them

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

pairofdimes posted:

Gizmodo says they are trash: https://gizmodo.com/googles-pixel-buds-arent-even-close-to-being-good-1820411288

Trigger warning: Gizmodo

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Well, that's disappointing.

Calaveron posted:

Podcasts sound fine, haven’t tried with real music I will try later but they’re comfy
I wonder if they’re like sweatproof or something because I wanna try working out with them

I'm curious how your experience will compare to the Gizmodo review, since that seemed uniformly negative, although it's always possible the reviewer was a moron.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

the reviewer was a moron.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The reviewer couldn't even figure out how to pair a Bluetooth device.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

The reviewer couldn't even figure out how to pair a Bluetooth device.

he knows his audience

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just downloaded the oreo beta for the essential phone and had to sideload it with adb, something I've never had to do before on a phone. I guess this is the authentic android experience Ive been hearing so long about.

FateGo actually works with the 8.0 beta when it didnt with the last OTA wtf

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 15, 2017

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in Europe for work for the next couple of months and saw the new Huawei Mate 10 Pro in one of the stores here; phone looks great and reviews are very promising so I'm considering buying, but I'm wondering if there are any unique considerations or issues I might run into when bringing it back to the states to use. It looks like frequency bands check out (both for here and my stateside carrier) and it looks like I can just set to English language, but would it have firmware specific to the country I buy it in that I'd be locked in to, or when I bring it back to the US would it basically begin receiving US updates as normal?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is long press on the volume buttons to skip tracks not a standard Android feature? I really got used to that. How do you guys skip songs with your phone in your pocket?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

pairofdimes posted:

Well, that's disappointing.

I'm curious how your experience will compare to the Gizmodo review, since that seemed uniformly negative, although it's always possible the reviewer was a moron.

I had to open and close the case at least twice before my phone recognized it, and the translate app sometimes stutters because I guess it takes half a second to turn the microphone on but so far so good
I amused myself by just saying random phrases in japanese I heard in my animes over the years to see what they actually meant

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Last night I fell asleep watching some videos on my Pixel 2 XL, and I must have rolled over on my phone for a few hours. I woke up part way through the night because of some sirens, and noticed a really hot phone under me. It wasn't hot enough to burn me or anything like that, but it was definitely very warm. I moved it to my nightstand and it cooled off in a minute. Did I screw anything up on the phone?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Eezee posted:

Is long press on the volume buttons to skip tracks not a standard Android feature? I really got used to that. How do you guys skip songs with your phone in your pocket?

On my G5+ it repeats the click, so the volume goes up or down quickly, but on Bluetooth headsets it does skip track.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Super Dude posted:

Last night I fell asleep watching some videos on my Pixel 2 XL, and I must have rolled over on my phone for a few hours. I woke up part way through the night because of some sirens, and noticed a really hot phone under me. It wasn't hot enough to burn me or anything like that, but it was definitely very warm. I moved it to my nightstand and it cooled off in a minute. Did I screw anything up on the phone?

Probably not, but heat can cause battery issues. Chances are the phone will alert and shut down before any damage occurs but let's face it that's largely a bet on LG's ability to ship a quality battery in the device.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Super Dude posted:

You're probably fine, if you ever use quick charging it will get just as hot. If it's actually getting hot enough to be a problem it'll go into emergency mode and tell you to let it cool down if you try using it during this state. If you do get to the point of emergency mode don't put it in a freezer because the temperature differential is just as bad for the phone, just let it sit in a cool place if possible.

I've only ever hit emergency cooling mode once with my phone although I don't remember how it happened exactly. Wake locked while I was outside on a sunny day I think?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It also kinda bothers me that getting the buds to fit in your ears can be fidgety and also that you'll constantly accidentally turn on the assistant or pause and play when handling the buds from their case to your ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eezee posted:

It's not standard but a lot of OEMs add it. I skip tracks on my watch.