Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Probably quite a personal thing. :) For what I play, it is a lot of quiet, quiet, loud, loud, quiet, quiet, insane overdrive. Nirvana and the like. But just noodling around, playing the same riff using up to 9 different press/tones, and switching between them is a lot of fun for me. I hadn't realised how much taking my hands of the guitar disrupts the flow for me.

I keep justifying not buying the footswitch because I don't gig, but your points have just about swayed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
This makes me feel like a dickhead to say, but every once in a while the right tone can make or break a riff, sometimes just adding some fuzz or octaver instead of distortion can make a big difference. -goes back to using the same Amplitube preset as the last 8 months-

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

AlphaDog posted:

How was the foot controller the game changer? Asking because I'm constantly nearly buying one and then going "nah, I don't need it" and then nearly buyin it anyway and then...

Spatulater bro! posted:

I keep justifying not buying the footswitch because I don't gig, but your points have just about swayed me.

It has a patch mode + an effects mode, so you can jump to different "pedalboards" while you're playing and turn things on and off as you would in a normal rig. Plus you can add an expression pedal for volume or effects control. It's good! I don't even really twiddle knobs on mine at this point.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm impressed with the OCD. Not just the great tone, but the build quality of the pedal is stunning.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Is riffcityguitaroutlet.com a reputable place to buy a guitar? Anyone bought anything from them before?

Krustic fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 14, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Krustic posted:

Is riffcityguitaroutlet.com a reputable place to buy a guitar? Anyone bought anything from them before?

I stumbled on these guys when I was looking for a Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster. I live in MN, so I actually went to their store, and I was thrilled. Private demo room, good deal on the Squier, and definitely people who care about what they’re doing.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm getting a ton of loud hiss when I connect my OCD into the fx loop of my Katana. No hiss when I go straight in. Amp's gain is at zero. Clean amp mode. Is this normal?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm getting a ton of loud hiss when I connect my OCD into the fx loop of my Katana. No hiss when I go straight in. Amp's gain is at zero. Clean amp mode. Is this normal?

My guess is that the signal sent from the effects loop is at a higher level than the one your guitar puts out.

You want to plug that straight into the front of the amp because when it's in the effects loop it's basically in between the pre-amp and the power amp, so you put time based effects (chorus, delay, reverb) in the loop and anything that effects the gain (OD, distortion) or the EQ (wah, eq) in front of the amp.

This isn't a hard fact, do whatever you want, but this is the general rule of thumb.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Spanish Manlove posted:

My guess is that the signal sent from the effects loop is at a higher level than the one your guitar puts out.

You want to plug that straight into the front of the amp because when it's in the effects loop it's basically in between the pre-amp and the power amp, so you put time based effects (chorus, delay, reverb) in the loop and anything that effects the gain (OD, distortion) or the EQ (wah, eq) in front of the amp.

This isn't a hard fact, do whatever you want, but this is the general rule of thumb.

Yeah. The reason I'm trying it in the loop is so I can use the amp's tube screamer effect before the OCD. I guess I should just get a real tube screamer.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you use Tone Studio, have you tried playing around with the signal chain?

There is also a noise gate available.

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_e01_W.pdf

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I guess I should just get a real tube screamer.
https://reverb.com/p/ibanez-ts5-tube-screamer
(do not actually buy this soundtanks are incredibly cheap and nasty)

Edit: I used to have a flanger Soundtank (I technically still do but it's at my parents' house and that's 3000 miles away). You could make some cool noises with it because it would self-oscillate with the feedback up all the way, but hooooly poo poo the casing was awful - just the cheapest, thinnest plastic ever.

BDA fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 15, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

If you use Tone Studio, have you tried playing around with the signal chain?

There is also a noise gate available.

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_e01_W.pdf

Yep I use Tone Studio a lot. But as is noted on that image, the FX loop is always after the pre-amp.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Anime Reference posted:

https://reverb.com/p/ibanez-ts5-tube-screamer
(do not actually buy this soundtanks are incredibly cheap and nasty)

Edit: I used to have a flanger Soundtank (I technically still do but it's at my parents' house and that's 3000 miles away). You could make some cool noises with it because it would self-oscillate with the feedback up all the way, but hooooly poo poo the casing was awful - just the cheapest, thinnest plastic ever.

Man, tube screamers are expensive, I expected them to be like $40 used on ebay and they're all $65+ and I forget which model is the supposed best. TS808?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Spanish Manlove posted:

Man, tube screamers are expensive, I expected them to be like $40 used on ebay and they're all $65+ and I forget which model is the supposed best. TS808?

Maxon

(holds true for either the OD9 or the OD808)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Schpyder posted:

Maxon

(holds true for either the OD9 or the OD808)

OD8, OD808, OD9?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I have a cheap as dirt Joyo tube screamer clone and I love it. I think I paid around 20 bucks on reverb.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just ordered a cheap DIY Tele kit from eBay. I've never soldered anything, have minimal woodworking experience and can't paint for poo poo, so it should be a nice adventure, and if I completely gently caress it up, at least it was only $60.

Anybody ever done one of these before? Any tips or things you wish you'd known beforehand? I'm spending my time watching wiring, soldering, painting and fretwork tutorials before it arrives, but I imagine most of that knowledge will go out the window once I have a box of assorted parts in my hands.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
good soldering technique is pretty easy to get the hang of. extra clips and clamps to hold wires and pots help tremendously

most finish work involves a ton of patience and testing things on scrap wood first

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a student that I sold one of my guitars to and it was her first electric so she needed an amp too. After some discussion about different kinds, she decided to get a 50-watt katana even though I didn’t have any experience with it since I have heard good things.

She brought it to her lesson this week and it was interesting to see it after hearing so much about it, particularly in comparison to the Mustang GT Amos since I have a lot of experience with the GT100. One thing I was surprised by with the Katana was the lack of options on the amp. I expected to not see everything usable because of needing to plug it into a computer to set things up but compared to the GT100 they really make it harder to get to all of the features, and for someone like her I don’t think she will be using anything other than what is already available on the amp since she has no experience with amps and setting stuff up on a pc would be too confusing. That is kind of good since she will have fewer options when trying things out and be getting used to what an amplifier can do but I was imagining something like the GT where you can just flip through all of the different effects to experiment with all of the different sounds that are possible. Having the knob for different amp types is probably more useful for her since there are so many different amp models readily available on the GT and having on acoustic, clean, lead etc. is more straightforward for a beginner.

Since it was my old guitar I was also curious how it would sound with rue stock clean sounds on the Katana and I think the cleans are better on the GT, at least out of the box. It was also kind of confusing that it had the standard gain/volume as well as a dedicated knob, I think it was boost, to control overdrive. I am guessing this is to simulate having a booster pedal but it seemed odd to dedicate one knob to that when there could have been another effects knob or something else that would keep you from having to go to your PC as often.

Overall it was a good amp and I am tempted to get one to play with it and news around with the PC program. The main thing I was considering though was leaving it at the conservatory I teach at and I don't think it would work so well there because I wouldn't be able to use everything the amp can offer without a computer to plug it into. Ironically if it were just sold as is without a program for 150 bucks I think it would be great and wouldn’t be complaining but I don’t like how inaccessible the features are after having used the GT100, where I can not only do everything I want to with just the amp but also make it even easier by using the phone app.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If I could put my amplitube tone into an amp I would be very happy.

Edit: then again, I could accomplish the same thing with a 6505

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

If I could put my amplitube tone into an amp I would be very happy.

Edit: then again, I could accomplish the same thing with a 6505

Does anyone make a legit 5150 amp in a can besides the Dunn Effects stuff? That seems really weird there isn’t one. I think I bought his last board, too 😢

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I imagine peavy and fender furiously file C&Ds on anyone who does make tiny little 5150 clones. If they weren't so expensive I would totally have one of the lunchbox versions but oh well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

I imagine peavy and fender furiously file C&Ds on anyone who does make tiny little 5150 clones. If they weren't so expensive I would totally have one of the lunchbox versions but oh well.

Matt Dunn will make you one. http://www.dunneffects.com

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Remind me in like a few months when I have money because that looks cool.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

amt's been selling 5150 fet clones for ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQX0DoLEuw

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

$600 isn’t bad for the 15 watt 5150. Everyone seems to like them.

I wouldn’t mind owning one but I don’t know if I’d want the 5150 or 6505 or what the differences are anyway.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

$600 isn’t bad for the 15 watt 5150. Everyone seems to like them.

I wouldn’t mind owning one but I don’t know if I’d want the 5150 or 6150 or what the differences are anyway.

just get a peavey jsx off reverb for like $500

more versatile and they can be dialed in to the old 5150 crunch channel sound pretty easily

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Does anyone make a legit 5150 amp in a can besides the Dunn Effects stuff? That seems really weird there isn’t one. I think I bought his last board, too 😢

I play through an AMT P1, which is JFET recreation of the 5150 preamp section, into a power amp 90% of the time and it sounds balls to the wall amazing. I actually got rid of a mini 6505 head because this thing sounds better to my ears, especially at a volume low enough to not annoy people in my apartment building at 3am.

Apparently the Amptweaker Tightmetal series is heavily based on the 5150 too (and I think designed by the same guy who designed the 5150?), but I haven't played one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnumonic posted:

I play through an AMT P1, which is JFET recreation of the 5150 preamp section, into a power amp 90% of the time and it sounds balls to the wall amazing. I actually got rid of a mini 6505 head because this thing sounds better to my ears, especially at a volume low enough to not annoy people in my apartment building at 3am.

Apparently the Amptweaker Tightmetal series is heavily based on the 5150 too (and I think designed by the same guy who designed the 5150?), but I haven't played one.

Of course, I had a brain fart. Amptweaker is James Brown he who designed the 5150. Those pedals are legit. TIGHTMETULZ KVLT!!!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

There's also the MXR 5150 preamp pedal, which sounds great to me.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

Just ordered a cheap DIY Tele kit from eBay. I've never soldered anything, have minimal woodworking experience and can't paint for poo poo, so it should be a nice adventure, and if I completely gently caress it up, at least it was only $60.

Anybody ever done one of these before? Any tips or things you wish you'd known beforehand? I'm spending my time watching wiring, soldering, painting and fretwork tutorials before it arrives, but I imagine most of that knowledge will go out the window once I have a box of assorted parts in my hands.

PM me if you need specific advice. Can't guarantee I can help (I'm definitely amateur level at this) but I've completed 4 kits so far, including converting a bass kit to fretless. I started with the ability to identify some woodworking tools, and an hour's soldering experience from ~15 years ago.

General advice:

You'll be doing a whole bunch of sanding. Get good sandpaper, it'll probably end up cheaper in the long run because it probably won't clog up after 2 minutes.

Measure everything twice, then measure it again, then check that those measurements are right. Then dry fit it and/or clamp it in place and measure it again. Then again. Then check if you got it right. Then start drilling.

You probably want some kind of grain filler to help you get the body smooth. Hope you like sanding.

Sand it more, trust me.

Soldering's easy, just watch a youtube video and you can do it. Guitar wiring's super simple as far as electronics go, and a tele's about the easiest thing you could do with two pickups. Don't sweat it.

You're still not done sanding.

Shield the pickup and control cavities and the back of the pickguard where the neck pickup goes through with copper tape or something. All the copper taped pieces should connect to each other somehow (a wire's the easiest), and don't forget the bridge ground.

You think you've finished sanding now, but you're wrong.

Test everything on a spare piece of wood first. If possible, use the same kind of wood as the guitar.

For real though, it's not smooth yet, keep sanding.

Finishing is 39% prep work (did I mention sanding), 1% applying thin coats, and 60% DON'T TOUCH IT YET IT''S NOT CURED.

Haha, did you think you were finished sanding?

You waited 3 weeks for the final coat to cure and then tried to polish it, which is like sanding but more painstaking. It was not cured, and the finish is now ruined. This is salvageable with enough careful sanding.

edit: Is it a "flamed maple" top or anything? On kits those are usually really really thin veneers, and you shouldn't sand them very much at all or you'll sand right through. Start with 320 grit and go really really slowly and carefully.

edit 2: With a bolt-on neck there's not much you can irrepairably gently caress up that will leave you with an unplayable guitar, but plenty you could do that'll leave you with a paintjob or stain that looks shithouse mediocre.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 16, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gnumonic posted:

i have the big fancypants version. james brown himself said the eq curve is based on the ampeg vh-140 rather than the 5150 and it definitely sounds closer to the former

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Of course, I had a brain fart. Amptweaker is James Brown he who designed the 5150. Those pedals are legit. TIGHTMETULZ KVLT!!!

my favorite ridiculous yet kinda neat feature of his pedals is the opamps are plugged into ic sockets

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 16, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

AlphaDog posted:

PM me if you need specific advice. Can't guarantee I can help (I'm definitely amateur level at this) but I've completed 4 kits so far, including converting a bass kit to fretless. I started with the ability to identify some woodworking tools, and an hour's soldering experience from ~15 years ago.

General advice:

You'll be doing a whole bunch of sanding. Get good sandpaper, it'll probably end up cheaper in the long run because it probably won't clog up after 2 minutes.

Measure everything twice, then measure it again, then check that those measurements are right. Then dry fit it and/or clamp it in place and measure it again. Then again. Then check if you got it right. Then start drilling.

You probably want some kind of grain filler to help you get the body smooth. Hope you like sanding.

Sand it more, trust me.

Soldering's easy, just watch a youtube video and you can do it. Guitar wiring's super simple as far as electronics go, and a tele's about the easiest thing you could do with two pickups. Don't sweat it.

You're still not done sanding.

Shield the pickup and control cavities and the back of the pickguard where the neck pickup goes through with copper tape or something. All the copper taped pieces should connect to each other somehow (a wire's the easiest), and don't forget the bridge ground.

You think you've finished sanding now, but you're wrong.

Test everything on a spare piece of wood first. If possible, use the same kind of wood as the guitar.

For real though, it's not smooth yet, keep sanding.

Finishing is 39% prep work (did I mention sanding), 1% applying thin coats, and 60% DON'T TOUCH IT YET IT''S NOT CURED.

Haha, did you think you were finished sanding?

You waited 3 weeks for the final coat to cure and then tried to polish it, which is like sanding but more painstaking. It was not cured, and the finish is now ruined. This is salvageable with enough careful sanding.

edit: Is it a "flamed maple" top or anything? On kits those are usually really really thin veneers, and you shouldn't sand them very much at all or you'll sand right through. Start with 320 grit and go really really slowly and carefully.

edit 2: With a bolt-on neck there's not much you can irrepairably gently caress up that will leave you with an unplayable guitar, but plenty you could do that'll leave you with a paintjob or stain that looks shithouse mediocre.

But how do I make the wood smooth?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

But how do I make the wood smooth?

I've been sanding for months, and if it ever gets there, I'll let you know.

Lester Shy posted:

A tele was my first kit, and I'm on my 4th right now (should be done in the next week!) and the loooong post with the frequent references to sanding is a good one. Just take your time; the only real way to gently caress up a tele bolt on kit is rushing to get it done. Enjoy the process, and post pics!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 16, 2017

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

There are some YouTube vids on how to make something good out of a cheap kit like that. Usually it requires a bit of work since the kits are fairly "off" at times but with some time on your hands and patience you'll be able to put together a decent guitar.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
My Zoom G9.2tt board is getting old, and a bunch of the buttons and switch don't really work. What's a good multi-FX board to replace it with, that's max 500€?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Boz0r posted:

My Zoom G9.2tt board is getting old, and a bunch of the buttons and switch don't really work. What's a good multi-FX board to replace it with, that's max 500€?

I recently purchased the zoom g3xn and am very happy with that because the new interface Zoom introduced is pretty slick and sounds great. The premium version of that is the G5n and something you may want to look into if you liked Zoom. The other raving reviews I've seen are for the Boss GT-100 which is near your max.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Boss GT-1?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Sanity Checks!

Sanity check #1: I have had a couple 12" speakers laying around for a while, and since I just ordered a Katana head, I figured I would put them in a cabinet! The cabinet in question came pre-wired in parallel. Due to the impedance of the speakers (they are 8 ohms) and that of the head (it's output jack is 8 ohms), using that parallel wiring would be a Bad Idea™ because it would give me a 4 ohm cabinet, and cabinet less than amp is a no-no from what I have read. So, I will wire in serial, which will make cabinet 16 ohms, and, while not optimal, will not be an awful idea. Does this sound correct?

Sanity check #2: To make the cabinet series, I can connect one of the Jack positive (JP1) leads to my first speaker positive (SP1) then connect that negative (SN1) to the positive of the other speaker (SP2) with a new wire (not pictured!), then connect the negative of that speaker (SN2) to one of the jack negative leads (JN1). I make sure the unused leads (JN2, JP2) don't touching anything. Does this sound correct?

Bonus sanity check: If later in life I get two 4 ohm speakers, I just connect JP1->SP1, SN1->JN1 and JP2->SP2, SN2->JN2 and I get an 8 ohm parallel cabinet, yes?

I'm sure this is super basic stuff, but I'm a big baby and don't want to explode my amp when it comes in on Tuesday!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Depends on the power amp circuit. Some amps can run a higher ohm load no problem while others expect a specific load.