Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Century 21 calling is probably my favorite short, even, more than Date With Your Family or Why Study Industrial Arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TL posted:

I think the original volume 7 had problems with the Killer Shrews disk. And I think the Dead Talk Back did as well, though the problem with that may have been from the master tape.

The original release of Killer Shrews was inexplicably missing about two minutes of the episode. A recall/replacement was done (I got one) but I dunno how many were issued.

Dead Talk Back was indeed a master tape issue. I wouldn’t hold out hope a Shout re-release would be any better.

The original Rhino release of Merlin’s Shop had color correction issues and really low audio. It could definitely stand a reissue.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
They just announced Turkey Day 2017, hosted by Joel with Jonah and Felicia. Hopefully the fact that those two are doing it is a good sign for a new season.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TL posted:

They just announced Turkey Day 2017, hosted by Joel with Jonah and Felicia. Hopefully the fact that those two are doing it is a good sign for a new season.

Is it just through the website or will they stream through Twitch, like they did for the last marathon, so I can watch it on my TV?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TL posted:

It makes me happy that the cast is so enthusiastic about doing stuff like this that they don’t have to do. At least two and often most have participated in every silly streaming promotion thing they’ve done for the show.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Is it just through the website or will they stream through Twitch, like they did for the last marathon, so I can watch it on my TV?

Finally found it. ShoutFactoryTV app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Finally found it. ShoutFactoryTV app.

It’s also been streamed on YouTube every year. I doubt this year will be any different.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

business hammocks posted:

It makes me happy that the cast is so enthusiastic about doing stuff like this that they don’t have to do. At least two and often most have participated in every silly streaming promotion thing they’ve done for the show.

Yeah, like filming the whole thing in two weeks must have been a little grueling, but clearly it was also a good experience, because they're all super-willing to be involved in everything, and that includes the writers and the puppet wranglers, too!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The marathon is going to be on Shout Factory's app, their Twitch channel, Youtube and Pluto.tv

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My VHS copy of Reptilicus and some other cool poo poo arrived today!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm honestly kind of angry at the Mystery Gift, considering I forfeited a likely $45-65 blu ray set in exchange for it.

ed: posted this before I saw the other thing in the box, but still

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, the mystery gift is a disappointment, but there’s a silver lining if you want to make your money back. Spoilers below in case anyone doesn’t want to know about the mystery gift.

Funko sold a very small number of them to the general public a few months ago, supposedly by accident, so they’re going for big bucks to Pop collectors on eBay right now apparently.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm a collector of those things, so if someone wants to make a deal to part with them, let me know.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, the mystery gift is a disappointment, but there’s a silver lining if you want to make your money back. Spoilers below in case anyone doesn’t want to know about the mystery gift.

Funko sold a very small number of them to the general public a few months ago, supposedly by accident, so they’re going for big bucks to Pop collectors on eBay right now apparently.

Yeah, they're going for bonkers money ($250+) on eBay, but I'm still irked that it's a Pop. I'm not fiercely against Pops, I own a couple, but it feels a little uninspired for the much-touted Mystery Gift. And it would be one thing if it was guaranteed to be a Kickstarter exclusive, but I give it a 70% chance we'll see the same thing pop up as some convention or hot topic exclusive within the next 6 months. The Joel signature is nice, but at the end of the day... :shrug:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

For those of us who were unemployed during the kickstarter what is the Pop fig of? All I can find are Tom & Crow Pop figs on eBay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

8one6 posted:

For those of us who were unemployed during the kickstarter what is the Pop fig of? All I can find are Tom & Crow Pop figs on eBay.

https://cdn.newtoynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/shot_170804_100549.png
The Kickstarter version came with a #webroughtbackmst3k sticker on the box and a COA signed by Joel

8one6
May 20, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://cdn.newtoynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/shot_170804_100549.png
The Kickstarter version came with a #webroughtbackmst3k sticker on the box and a COA signed by Joel

Awww man... That's really cool, but the same month I got the new house it's just not "$250 from an eBay flipper" cool.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

8one6 posted:

Awww man... That's really cool, but the same month I got the new house it's just not "$250 from an eBay flipper" cool.

For what it’s worth, it seems pretty unlikely that they’ll stay that expensive for much longer. There were supposedly only a couple dozen out in the wild before, and now there’s gonna be a few thousand sent out as Kickstarter rewards.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sell them while they're hot. In like 2 years they're going to be Beanie Babies and worth pennies.

I mean, I want one. But I also have a mortgage.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

IUG posted:

Sell them while they're hot. In like 2 years they're going to be Beanie Babies and worth pennies.

People should show how ahead of their time they are and sell me one for pennies.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
... seriously, whats the appeal of them?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

... seriously, whats the appeal of them?

Some people collect comic book or movie statues. These are way cheaper than that and are easier to display.

IMO it's no different than any other sort of collectable, unless you want to argue here in the MST3K thread that nostalgia or being a fan of something are odd concepts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest issue isn't even present with the Funkos of the bots since they don't have the awful soulless eyes and generic head.

They're fine

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, my wife and I collect them and I can't even tell anyone else what the appeal of them are.

However, I did say when I got the Tom/Crow Pops that they were some of the most accurate looking figures they made. Besides Tom Servo's slightly cubish glass dome, they look like the characters, not Funko Pop figures.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

IUG posted:

Yeah, my wife and I collect them and I can't even tell anyone else what the appeal of them are.

However, I did say when I got the Tom/Crow Pops that they were some of the most accurate looking figures they made. Besides Tom Servo's slightly cubish glass dome, they look like the characters, not Funko Pop figures.
Yeah, some characters funko pop well. I remember of recent ones, All-Might from My Hero Academia (already had a stylized face with black eyes) and D.va (it was mostly the MEKA) came out very well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Yeah, some characters funko pop well. I remember of recent ones, All-Might from My Hero Academia (already had a stylized face with black eyes) and D.va (it was mostly the MEKA) came out very well.

Meanwhile Tommy from the Rugrats looks like an abomination

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Burkion posted:

And his Funko Pop isn't very pretty either.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nessus posted:

Similarly the one they did for the main Titan and Pilot duo from Titanfall 2 came out pretty well

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The rule seems to be live action characters will look okay though some risk looking nondescript, cartoon characters look hosed up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i really don't get those things at all. They're ugly and pointless and someone gave me one as a low effort unwanted xmas gift last year and it's still just sittin here in the box under a bunch of other poo poo probably because who cares

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
some funko pops are extremely cute (my wife's got the ones from Black Butler and Grell is :3: ) and this forum seems to have a really weird obsession with "lmao funko pops are literally the devil, now watch as i spend $300 on a steel case edition of a bad JRPG game"

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
How long does it take MST3K to respond to emails? I bought the mystery gift and it's at the bottom of my backerkit but they didn't include it in the shipment!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

CrimsonAuthor posted:

How long does it take MST3K to respond to emails? I bought the mystery gift and it's at the bottom of my backerkit but they didn't include it in the shipment!

Not sure; I've also got the Mystery Gift addon sitting on my rewards page, but it wasn't included in any shipments so far. I emailed them on the 9th asking when those would ship, but haven't heard back from them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

precision posted:

some funko pops are extremely cute (my wife's got the ones from Black Butler and Grell is :3: ) and this forum seems to have a really weird obsession with "lmao funko pops are literally the devil, now watch as i spend $300 on a steel case edition of a bad JRPG game"

I have a disturbing amount of them, and yea the hate people have for them is really strange. They're always "they're just going to end up being like Beanie Babies!" as if the only way to collect them is a return. Like I get they're not your thing, but who cares what someone else spend their money on?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be fair, Funkopops have kind of ended up infesting a lot of Nerd Stuff in a way that's almost unavoidable and I can see that being off-putting if you're not into them. The way I hear it told it sounds like Gamestop should consider changing its name to Funkostop.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Funkopops always strike me as the quickest way to make figures, making it easy for them to corner the collectors market and get that sweet nerd cash.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Not sure; I've also got the Mystery Gift addon sitting on my rewards page, but it wasn't included in any shipments so far. I emailed them on the 9th asking when those would ship, but haven't heard back from them.

I got a response today (from Ivan), and it's not good. The TL;DR is that they didn't realize you could add on Mystery Gifts through Backerkit until people started asking where theirs was, and thus didn't order enough of them to actually fulfill the orders. They're currently trying to figure out what they can do; they spent the most of money on Season 11 and so they can't offer cash refunds. Their options are 1) see if they can order more gifts (which if possible won't be until next Spring), 2) letting you swap out for items of equal or greater value, or 3) finding some to-be-determined alternative.

The email does close with this though: "In the meantime, we’re sorry (again) for this mixup, and we’re so grateful for your patience — we hope you enjoyed the other rewards you received, and are still enjoying Season 11. We’re hoping to have more news about Season 12 very soon, so stay tuned." (bolding mine).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be a great deal if they gave you better stuff instead. The blurays cost as much as the funko thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Funkos are stupid and worthless but Season 12 is smart and priceless